Future Of Northern Soul

Guest LeedsPal

It's unusual that a thread on SS has moved slightly away from the original question and focused on an individual statement.  I think we uderstand everyones feelings etc and should move on for the sake of our own sanity.

So what about Spurs and Fulham tonight ??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's unusual that a thread on SS has moved slightly away from the original question and focused on an individual statement.  I think we uderstand everyones feelings etc and should move on for the sake of our own sanity.

No idea ,I don't follow  tennis  :g:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I prefer the underplayed cheapies that are masquerading as Northampton Town FC.  :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Q.) What is the future of Northern Soul.

A.) Plenty of in house arguing  :lol:  :wicked:  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

he doesnt come across as one who would be influenced by others to me...maybe not worded too well,could it be that he meant he just prefers rnb and funky edged 60s soul to the more traditional 'northern' sound of a lot of oldies??

dean

You're probably right there - But he needs to stop listening to that awful R 'n' B stuff - ARE YOU TAKING THIS IN LINCSYOUNGSOUL?!!!!  :rofl:  

Confused? You will be mate :huh: :D  

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You're probably right there - But he needs to stop listening to that awful R 'n' B stuff - ARE YOU TAKING THIS IN LINCSYOUNGSOUL?!!!!  :rofl:  

Confused? You will be mate :huh: :D  

I'm not giving the lad enough credit, ignore these fuddie duddies ,If you're into R&B ,then you're ok in my book Aaron  :yes:  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mr Faye

he doesnt come across as one who would be influenced by others to me...maybe not worded too well,could it be that he meant he just prefers rnb and funky edged 60s soul to the more traditional 'northern' sound of a lot of oldies??

dean

That was the point i was trying to get across Dean...going to oldies nights are just not for me, yeah sure, i'm young and people think i havent got a clue. And when people look at me they will probably think that i only like the top 50 or something...but that's not the case. Because i was influenced by NO ONE, literally no  one. I was finding out everything by myself. And the sounds that took to me were different to the usual you would hear at a nighter. A few examples of records i have collected so you get an idea of what i'm talking about:

They are just a few but you might get the idea...and the reason why i don't like the 'oldies' (don't get me wrong, there are some which i love) but it's the ones which are overplayed i can't stand. I can't see there's anything wrong with me not liking the classics, Sure i can appreciate them. But you've got to remember, that's what got YOU guys into the music, they were the big tunes back then. It doesn't mean that I have to get into the music from that approach aswell.

Aaron

Edited by Mr Faye
Social source share

Sorry, I just do not get what you are after! If you want a pat on the back for travelling up and down the country you ain't gonna get one....thousands have done it, and probably younger than you..If you want recognition coz you are a champion of a certain type of music......you ain't gonna get it....why?

Because you have done nothing that is different to anyone else. And if you think those 3 records you have just posted are anything other than crap....then you just don't get it at all!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Mr Faye

Sorry, I just do not get what you are after! If you want a pat on the back for travelling up and down the country you ain't gonna get one....thousands have done it, and probably younger than you..If you want recognition coz you are a champion of a certain type of music......you ain't gonna get it....why?

Because you have done nothing that is different to anyone else. And if you think those 3 records you have just posted are anything other than crap....then you just don't get it at all!

you're obviously not going to have the same opinion as me, you're the same age as my granddad... different generation, different taste. What's wrong with that? Also, i'm not trying to be a champion here, i'm not trying to get a pat on the back. I do what i do, and i f**king love it. I'll be dammed if anyone shall stop me...not my fault people comment about what i have wrote her, i was simply saying it how it was... Edited by Mr Faye
Swearing
Social source share

Guest Mr Faye

It isn't Northern Soul!

Just off to the Post Office to draw my pension and buy enough records with my £110:00 to become the "hip dj that everybody knows."

Doesn't have to be Northern Soul...still music with a 'soul' element, and fits very well in the scene today.

Social source share

Aaron can't fault any of them tunes ,just my cuppa tea ,opening a can of worms you are lol  :lol:

But many folk just don't get R&B ,just think stuff em then  :ohmy:  :yes:  :lol:

......Still f*ckin' clueless :rofl:  :D 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Doesn't have to be Northern Soul...still music with a 'soul' element, and fits very well in the scene today.

They haven't, and don't mate - But at least you 'like what you like'...god bless ya :wink: 

.....Try listening to some Soul music :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

You need to be on the Rockin scene or the mod rnb scene if your into this stuff...........I like this music and collect it myself but id be pissed off if i went to a rare or northern soul night and this stuff was played. Nothing to do with you not liking oldies.Your'e into a whole different genre of music!!

I agree with that apart from the bit in red ,N/Soul is not a genre ,it is at best an opinion a feeling and nothing more  :g:

Social source share

That was the point i was trying to get across Dean...going to oldies nights are just not for me, yeah sure, i'm young and people think i havent got a clue. And when people look at me they will probably think that i only like the top 50 or something...but that's not the case. Because i was influenced by NO ONE, literally no  one. I was finding out everything by myself. And the sounds that took to me were different to the usual you would hear at a nighter. A few examples of records i have collected so you get an idea of what i'm talking about:

They are just a few but you might get the idea...and the reason why i don't like the 'oldies' (don't get me wrong, there are some which i love) but it's the ones which are overplayed i can't stand. I can't see there's anything wrong with me not liking the classics, Sure i can appreciate them. But you've got to remember, that's what got YOU guys into the music, they were the big tunes back then. It doesn't mean that I have to get into the music from that approach aswell.

Aaron

Thanx for posting them Aaron....never heard any of them....and yup...I like them in the main and all would make my 'general' obscure collection....but only the 'My Love would make me playbox....for the right venue....where i;d get away with it! They remind me of tunes that are similar...but with 'BO**OX'...!x To me...that extra B is the Northern bit...!!!!!x Your learning yourself and coming across stuff as you do...and we all are only as good as the input we've had......what do you think of this....?x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7i-Njxg7YQ

Great speaking with you today and look forward to seeing you at Kings Hall and further chats Sunday!!x I have an OAPs bus pass to Knottingley....but u'll have to pay......hehe!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Social source share

Wise words for such a young heart Jordan.    We move from one side of the Pennines to the other and what is overplayed in the East Midlands is fresh and new to our friends on the smelly side of the Pennines and visa versa.  ( Not everything obviously !! )

Educating is a word that they do like to use on SS but in some cases it is appropriate.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Aaron,is this the sort of stuff you like.Not my cuppa though.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI3PFF4f6Yc

I listened to Aaron's choices and as someone has already said, they're not remotely northern and I pretty much disliked them. Listened to this one and found myself actually thinking I quite like this and I'd dance to it, so if they're regarded as the same genre, they're must be a subtle difference I'm missing?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

GRRRR!! cant see them let alone hear them..what are they ? please !!

Kev put up Nichelle Nichols - Know what I mean

Aaron put up; 

Dakota Staton - My babe

Merv Griffin - The screemin' Meemies from planet X

Sylvia Sims - Each Day

Katherine Holt - My Love

Carol Connors - That's all it takes

Social source share

To respond to original question, for me I guess there are two questions:

1. How long will the music live?

2. How long will the venues and dancing scene live?

My response to number 1 is the love of the music will endure for many years to come, but after most of us have gone to great dance floor in the sky, who knows and only time will tell. I will still be listening to music I have loved for the last 42 years, and will until I go. I love it when I hear a new tune for the first time, something I have not heard before and of course tastes change. Stompers are still great, but there has always been great different tempo records out there and they are becoming increasing popular and I love listening to them.

In response to number 2, for me it will determined by old age. People will still want to go venues to meet friends, listen to music and of course have a dance. But time and age waits for no-one. So maybe in 15 years time, aside from big events, most local events will probably dwindle away. The younger fans of course will continue and that will be great, but even the type of venue used today might not be around in 15 years time. Working Mens clubs are closing all the time. So in short, whilst there is a demand, then venues will continue, but simply put, we are not getting any younger and that fact alone will be the biggest determining factor on how long the dancing venues survive.

Maybe the venue of the future will be a local pub, no dancing, just play out great music amongst friends, have a bite to eat and a few beers. So enjoy what we have now, as a someone once said "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, so live for the now"

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The youngsters will soon fade away as most did around the twentys age. The scene has been dumbed down so much due to the media and books.every man and his dog are "into northern soul" yet few actually get it or support a scene.

You're right about the media.  I took Sam round to a school friends house last night and I had a conversation with his Dad (aged approx 40) who I'd only briefly said hello to at school, anyway I had a really nice chat with this guy, when I mentioned Northern Soul he immediately said "yeah it's making a come back isn't it", so he's obviously seen the BBC program or heard something on the radio.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The reality is that the broad church of northern soul is a phenomenon that has so far stood the test of time unlike any other genre of post war music.

Various youth cultures evolved with the music at their core and for three generations, as each group reached maturity, a new strain emerged carrying the music forward with it.

It seems to me that the last such "youth culture" emerged in the '80s and that what has separated NS from contemporary genres of music is the fact that its devotees have maintained their enthusiasm for the music and carried it forward into middle age.

For it to continue, it must be adopted by a new generation with the same all consuming interest in it.

So the future depends on how the youngsters currently involved with the scene, and their generation, run with the baton.

All I can say is that they had better get their skates on 'cos its already starting to smell like p*ss and biscuits!   :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To respond to original question, for me I guess there are two questions:

1. How long will the music live?

2. How long will the venues and dancing scene live?

My response to number 1 is the love of the music will endure for many years to come, but after most of us have gone to great dance floor in the sky, who knows and only time will tell. I will still be listening to music I have loved for the last 42 years, and will until I go. I love it when I hear a new tune for the first time, something I have not heard before and of course tastes change. Stompers are still great, but there has always been great different tempo records out there and they are becoming increasing popular and I love listening to them.

In response to number 2, for me it will determined by old age. People will still want to go venues to meet friends, listen to music and of course have a dance. But time and age waits for no-one. So maybe in 15 years time, aside from big events, most local events will probably dwindle away. The younger fans of course will continue and that will be great, but even the type of venue used today might not be around in 15 years time. Working Mens clubs are closing all the time. So in short, whilst there is a demand, then venues will continue, but simply put, we are not getting any younger and that fact alone will be the biggest determining factor on how long the dancing venues survive.

Maybe the venue of the future will be a local pub, no dancing, just play out great music amongst friends, have a bite to eat and a few beers. So enjoy what we have now, as a someone once said "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, so live for the now"

Agree Jim

It is a sad reality but it will probably die with us.  There is no fundemental right that states we must create a legacy and the young guys and girls are welcome to create a 'Scene' of their own. They are also more than welcome through our doors.   What we don't want is people coming in and telling us that what we had is gone and we should be moving on or indeed, what we have is shit  It is not gone, it is forever in our Hearts and will live through us.  Mine ! Leave me alone and let me enjoy what I have.  Yours - Enjoy what you have but do not try to force feed it to me or tell me I am wrong   Music has always been subjective. Millions love/loved Queen - I hated them but how can they all be wrong ? Just my particular taste in Music.

Social source share

I listened to Aaron's choices and as someone has already said, they're not remotely northern and I pretty much disliked them. Listened to this one and found myself actually thinking I quite like this and I'd dance to it, so if they're regarded as the same genre, they're must be a subtle difference I'm missing?

Maybe that falls into the popcorn genre.?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You're right about the media.  I took Sam round to a school friends house last night and I had a conversation with his Dad (aged approx 40) who I'd only briefly said hello to at school, anyway I had a really nice chat with this guy, when I mentioned Northern Soul he immediately said "yeah it's making a come back isn't it", so he's obviously seen the BBC program or heard something on the radio.

Not just the media either Pete..X  My mate Pete is part of the music industry's user groups who get access to what 'moguls' are saying...or into...for the day! There has been Emails circulating over recent weeks of lists of the top 100 Northern tracks...asked of by someone high up in the US connected to some global company....and then Execs have been passing round Utube clips of folk dancing in chip shops/shop aisles and the girl Alison H pointed out t'other day! That was about 4 or 5 weeks ago!! Ronnie Canada had just been to the States and returned to join our Studios....he said the 'thing' that was good to Edwin Starr is a real buzz among them all over there too!!!x

Listen to mainstream music from Adele to Dizzy.....all 'northern' based sounds really...or can be identified as a 60's soul feel. It's been going on for at least a year or so this 'buzz'!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!