Future Of Northern Soul

Guest LeedsPal

Guest LeedsPal

The answer to the original question is staring you in the face......

A 2013 Northern Soul smash from Pharrell Williams (and record of the year for me) with a video of a 17 year old lass from Bristol who loves Northern Soul and can seriously dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLLPaX4SS4

If I was 17 now, I know what would be rocking my boat. Northern Soul looks pretty healthy to me.

Ian D  :D

Agreed great song not sure I could listen for 24 hours to it ? great PR stunt.  Young Levanna Mclean through her dance videos is getting more press for Northern Soul and young kids watching just might be attracted to a night out good for the future of the music, I see even Pharrell has mentioned the video Tweeting  “The UK is getting Happy…Northern Soul style!”

Interesting responses to your post Ian, reminds me very much of the late 70's early 80's when Northern was going through its split and anything new was frowned on. Ironic really some tracks I have heard since I came back I could only hear when you and Mr Schofield played them at the CentraI on a Friday Night Jazz Funk in my mind but clearly these tracks have morphed onto the Northern scene a fantastic thing, I presume it will be another 20 years before Happy will be accepted, I mean if Bob Sinclair Tribute fills a Northern dance floor surely Happy would maybe its the fear factor as another poster mentioned.

One thing is for sure the lessons should be learned from early 80s old can go with the new, maybe a bit of Soulful House Music Jill Scott etc might sneak in doubt it though.. I think Paul Trouble or Joey Negro could shake it up a bit lol

Social source share

Agreed great song not sure I could listen for 24 hours to it ? great PR stunt.  Young Levanna Mclean through her dance videos is getting more press for Northern Soul and young kids watching just might be attracted to a night out good for the future of the music, I see even Pharrell has mentioned the video Tweeting  “The UK is getting Happy…Northern Soul style!”

Interesting responses to your post Ian, reminds me very much of the late 70's early 80's when Northern was going through its split and anything new was frowned on. Ironic really some tracks I have heard since I came back I could only hear when you and Mr Schofield played them at the CentraI on a Friday Night Jazz Funk in my mind but clearly these tracks have morphed onto the Northern scene a fantastic thing, I presume it will be another 20 years before Happy will be accepted, I mean if Bob Sinclair Tribute fills a Northern dance floor surely Happy would maybe its the fear factor as another poster mentioned.

One thing is for sure the lessons should be learned from early 80s old can go with the new, maybe a bit of Soulful House Music Jill Scott etc might sneak in doubt it though.. I think Paul Trouble or Joey Negro could shake it up a bit lol

It beats the shit out of "Tribute" though.  :lol:

Pharrell Williams - the most popular vocalist in the world in 2013 is acknowledging Northern Soul big time. Brilliant. Plus that string section on his record is really something else. One of the best arrangements I've heard in a long time.

Where the hell's he hearing this Northern Soul stuff then I wonder? 

If he does a pastiche of Sandy Golden then I'll really start wondering what's going on.......... :g:

Well, we were asked about the future weren't we.....?  :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Bloody Hell Tezza that's a bit poetic for you mate. :D  :hatsoff2: 

Spot. :shades: 

hello mate......... a happy xmas to you are the luverly gail x.....we,re pretty much firing on all cylinders  so see you out and about soon  tezza shakespear 

Social source share

Guest LeedsPal

It beats the shit out of "Tribute" though.  :lol:

Where the hell's he hearing this Northern Soul stuff then I wonder? 

Truly awful record I was genual taken aback when it came on and soulies rushed onto the dance floor I was looking for that John Travolta look alike with his white suit and black shirt to come dashing on, each to their own.

I watched the Soul train awards other night on BET got impression Black artists are starting to appreciate their roots, possibly appreciating old soul music what in the UK we call Northern lets be honest even Bruno Mars has knocked out tracks with the Northern/Motown beat.

What will be interesting is to see how the record producers look at a Northern type beat re issue of old Northern tracks by modern female soul artists ?

Take Jazz Funk its always morphed how many old tracks have been mixed for soulfull house great example would be Antonello Ferrari feat. Jennifer Wallace - Make Room For Me class.

I know Ian Levine tried this in the 80's Eric Roberts Next in line being an example but it didn't really hit the spot, interesting times ahead for Soul music. 

Social source share

Truly awful record I was genual taken aback when it came on and soulies rushed onto the dance floor I was looking for that John Travolta look alike with his white suit and black shirt to come dashing on, each to their own.

I watched the Soul train awards other night on BET got impression Black artists are starting to appreciate their roots, possibly appreciating old soul music what in the UK we call Northern lets be honest even Bruno Mars has knocked out tracks with the Northern/Motown beat.

What will be interesting is to see how the record producers look at a Northern type beat re issue of old Northern tracks by modern female soul artists ?

Take Jazz Funk its always morphed how many old tracks have been mixed for soulfull house great example would be Antonello Ferrari feat. Jennifer Wallace - Make Room For Me class.

I know Ian Levine tried this in the 80's Eric Roberts Next in line being an example but it didn't really hit the spot, interesting times ahead for Soul music. 

It's seldom that American artists even acknowledge Northern Soul - most of 'em don't have a clue what it is. So that's why it's surprising that the hottest vocalist in the world has made such a record and acknowledged the term. I've no idea how he got there because there weren't any clues in his previous recordings I don't think. His stuff with NERD was bloody awful to my ears.

But stranger things have happened. Prince once requested a full set of Mastercuts compilations which I duly delivered to him, so who's to say Pharrell hasn't been checking things out on the quiet. 

Interesting times indeed.....

Social source share

....Kids....music..past....future...current.....DJ's....Promoters.. and Lady's???......hmmmm.They all impressed me this weekend at both venues I frequented....Kings Hall and the Charity Soul sponsored gig at Kellingley...XX I have much to share about it all relevant to this thread....but I can waffle on...and as many SS folk came up to me over the weekend.....then I know u wanna hear it anyway....so will write me feedback on all kinds of stuff of interest to most i'm sure.....tomorrow....!x  I will also tell how both Young and Old DJ's...dancers...and Promoters...can have it away in 58 minutes....with 24 1/2 tunes....which pack from the outset...pulling them randomly outta ure box..from reaaaaal oldies.....to 4 year old tunes....that were the talk after the doo......!!!x Thanx all of you who expressed an opinion to me over the weekend wherever we were!x.....and out of respect...i'll give mine back on it all....tomorrow!!x Now tho'...a well earned kip.....!x Nite nite...X

++
~

LUV
SOOOTZZZZZ

X

Social source share

...never forget the first time i DJ'd in 93 at Blackburn...Tony's.....given the 7-8am launch spot to finish.....and played Happy....3rd tune from the end of the night........because I really really was....blew the doors off.............X

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

Looking back at the original question posed or statement made, whichever way you look at it and then reading the responses it is rather sad.  If the majority of folk out there uphold the feelings and sentiment of a lot of the views expressed in this thread then it is obvious that Northern Soul ( as we know it ) has no future. 

Year on year a screw has been removed from the door until it has finally become unhindged.  The future is before you, you have no Map, Compass and certainly no Moses to lead the way, make of it what you will.  Remember, at the Crossroads go left, or right, whichever way you wish because at the end of that road there is a Crossroads ...

For Sale - I record collection ( mostly Oldies ) ONO !!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

this tune is average........if it had been duffy you all would of slated it lol........as for american soul artists recognising "northern "as you put it........as always only when the mighty dollar reigns....not because they like this kinda sound.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

it,s not uptempo for a start ian, more med/well done with a kinda modern beat........it,s all floaty floaty  has no earthiness....not my cup of tea

Shes hardly dncing what you would cal"Fast",either.

Social source share

this tune is average........if it had been duffy you all would of slated it lol........as for american soul artists recognising "northern "as you put it........as always only when the mighty dollar reigns....not because they like this kinda sound.

The only thing I like about the tune is .its instantly forgettable ,I listened to it ,forgot it already ,that's got to be good  :wicked:  :lol:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I liked 'Happy' when I first heard it on youtube via a facebook link.

Instantly catchy and uplifting with a good arrangement, it's a new song but very obviously influenced by soul classics from the golden days.

It shows that more producers are looking deeper into the past for inspiration rather than covering the same old ground. It was bound to happen because most other retro styles have been so exhausted.

Pharrell is no newcomer and - like everyone these days - he can also easily explore older and more obscure music via youtube etc.  So I'm expecting to hear a lot more classic soul influences in new music, maybe some cover versions too.

Social source share

Check this then Paul. Pharrell doing his best Curtis and the Impressions impression.....

Pharrell Williams - Prettiest Girls

Thanks Ian, I need to check out his new other tracks now.

And isn't it also a sign that old-fashioned romance is back in fashion ?

It will obviously appeal to a very broad audience, especially the girls of course.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I have no idea who Pharrell is.

Biggest star of this year Pete but he's been around for the last 10 years in one guise or another. He's the voice on Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and also on Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines". However, if you want his throwback Northern stuff, then take your daughter to see Despicable Me 2..........

Social source share

Biggest star of this year Pete but he's been around for the last 10 years in one guise or another. He's the voice on Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and also on Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines". However, if you want his throwback Northern stuff, then take your daughter to see Despicable Me 2..........

That means absolutely nothing to me either  :huh:  :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My little boy told me it was off Despicable Me 2...I had no idea what he was on about.

I hate that Get Lucky record, every time you put the radio on, whatever channel, it was on, and I never listen to radio 1 either.

Who the f*ck is Robin Thicke?  Is that how it's pronounced - thick?  Is that the one that rips off Marvin Gaye?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My little boy told me it was off Despicable Me 2...I had no idea what he was on about.

I hate that Get Lucky record, every time you put the radio on, whatever channel, it was on, and I never listen to radio 1 either.

Who the f*ck is Robin Thicke?  Is that how it's pronounced - thick?  Is that the one that rips off Marvin Gaye?

One of the biggest song-writers in the US Pete, wrote for everybody and has about five US No 1 albums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Thicke

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Don,t know about you lot,but everytime l hear some so called R&B on the telly or radio....l want to scream...."WHY CAN,T YOU TW*TS SING SOMETHING WITH A BIT OF OOMFF!!!"....instead of this sugary sweet insipid sh*te you all constantly turn out,that you all rave over,but none of us ever do....because in the main it,s SH******T!!!!!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Robin Thicke.? Same PR people as Keith Sweat.? "Get Lucky" is a club sound for young guns,Pharrell wotsit has a good voice,prefer Snoop Dogg myself.

None have them will have any effect on the "NS" scene.

ROBIN THICKE..........is he one of the THICKE twins lol
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

I had Jimmy Robins as a 100% Northern Soul record long before anyone was associating it with R & B.  That came way later.  Mel Torme must surely be classed as pop though, good record as it is.

But with hindsight, is was a great usa RnB top seller. Good record

I cant imagine why they pressed so many, it must have been on the radio

perhaps for the soul fans of tomorrow

"tomorrows hits today"

personally still collecting vintage vinyl

not bothered about your taste, only into mine

but respect

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BYuS-OfAQ8

i walked around town and found this on white island in a record shop last week

what a tune

this happened to me in a shop in a uk city last week

the last owner took big care of this special 45, so will i

totally mint original 45

such a soulful vocal

so keep digging

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Actually it's a bit unfair 'cos I only posted up the Pharrell Williams/Velvet Hammer basterdised version of "Happy" with the GREAT video of the Northern Soul lass dancing which is now turning into the You Tube hit of the moment and a bit of an internet phenomenon.

But, hey, we're on Soul Source, so here's the OVO version OK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM&feature=share

For me, this is EXACTLY everything I look for in a record. Infectious, uptempo, feel-good Soul music. The choir at two minutes, and then three minutes in, just slays me. A great, great record. When I hear new releases as brilliant as this, for me, it's as good as it's ever been. I can't really believe that they're making records like this anymore but I'm sure glad they are.

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

OK, let me get this right. You copied the rainbow yeah?  :lol:

No comparison Mace. I admit "Prettiest Girls" is cheese, but it's encouraging cheese nonetheless. The song is on the soundtrack to a popular kids film, so the fact that Pharrell Williams even bothered to pay a homage to Curtis and the Impressions for a kid's movie is encouraging. Much better than most of the other new releases I'm listening to for sure. I take my hat off to him. He's a serious guy. No slouch by any stretch. He's doing exactly the right thing and it's working for me....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!