Rob Marriott Tape From September 1992

Chalky

Legend!

Absolutely Phil, got a copy, but its now in Gaz Simons loft, lost tracklisting years ago, can you remember who the awesome "Baby, Baby Don't You Do It" is by, I think it was an unissued Harthon Philly thing, Chris told me who it was a couple of years ago but I have forgot

Kev

Social source share

First tape he ever did me was an oldies tape - Mel Wynn (Lose You), Uptights (Shy Guy), Gladys Knight (Glad You Chose) etc. Absolutely loved it, still have it somewhere

One of the first UK collectors I started swapping tapes with was Rob's brother Chris. In 93 or so he made me two tapes with many of Rob's biggies plus a few assorted oldies. These tapes really shaped my taste in 60's soul. Thank you Rob (and Chris)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Which one is Barons of Soul and which one is the United Four c/up? IMO the version with the trumpet intro is crap. The other is brill.

To clarify the one I'm calling  b of s is the version on the cassette.

Social source share

As far as I am aware both versions of "Baby Don't You Do It" are the same group just different takes.  As far as I know it was credited to the Untied Four as that is who it was assumed to be, wrongly so I was told.  I was told it was The Barons Of Soul, it was written by the group or one of its members at the least.  

Searling and Rushbrooke both had it first now I'm not sure if they had the different takes or one of the same?  Rob probably got it from Jimmy Wensiora at a guess...or one of his dodgy cuts?

Social source share

Haven't been able to get on here for two days so can't wait to have a listen to these tonight

Thanks Chalky :thumbsup:

Pleasure Dave.  Both have been quite popular.  I have one more of Rob's with a few different bits on so I will transfer and upload.  I also have two from Chris with some choice bits on!

Social source share

Yep me too, he posted it bless him. That's why Rob did more (for me) for the scene than any other big name DJ of that time. Never thought of himself anything other than one of us (unlike some), always willing to share his knowledge about records, not only through talking but by taking the time to do tapes. Great times indeed

yes Joan,got Sea Shells,Fascinators,Precisions - "I wanna tell my baby",Bob Collins - "one and only girl "as well i think.Maybe Charmaines - "Standing".?

Chalky,have you got the cassette Chris Marriot did - Soul of Detroit Vol 1.? Utopias,James Lately,Freddy Butler,Steptones, on it.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

yes Joan,got Sea Shells,Fascinators,Precisions - "I wanna tell my baby",Bob Collins - "one and only girl "as well i think.Maybe Charmaines - "Standing".?

Chalky,have you got the cassette Chris Marriot did - Soul of Detroit Vol 1.? Utopias,James Lately,Freddy Butler,Steptones, on it.

I've still got that youth

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Listened to the tape from the 80 s and have to say the mans taste is absolutely top notch, had a few on it , when I was collecting. Any info on where he got his tunes from ?    Things like the springers  and fascinators....

Social source share

Listened to the tape from the 80 s and have to say the mans taste is absolutely top notch, had a few on it , when I was collecting. Any info on where he got his tunes from ?    Things like the springers  and fascinators....

He was a long time collector but some of them came from Jimmy Wensiora when he sold up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't think I have either but wouldn't mind a listen.

I just had a look in the record room, no result *

I'm afraid it looks like they're stored away at my parent's. Will take some time till I get my hands on that stuff. But from what I recall, inlay of vol1 was green, vol2 was light brown.

* but what i found was a tape I did from John Powney's DJ box back in 1995. will post a track list in the John Powney thread.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had some great nights at Rob's Mansfield venue... Polish club, Trotters

First 2 hours of Rare stuff, last 2 hours of oldies.

I don't know of any other venue that had that policy!

Smashin' lad Rob

Edited by Labeat
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a look in the record room, no result *

I'm afraid it looks like they're stored away at my parent's. Will take some time till I get my hands on that stuff. But from what I recall, inlay of vol1 was green, vol2 was light brown.

* but what i found was a tape I did from John Powney's DJ box back in 1995. will post a track list in the John Powney thread.

Eventually managed to find vol1 and vol2 of the Marriott's Detroit tapes.

Vol2 is missing the original inlay, just a typed tracklisting, here it is:

Connie Van Dyke - Don't do nothing I wouldn't do

The Metros - Since I found my baby

The Lollipops - Loving good feeling

Arabians - Please take a chance on me

Bob & Fred - I'll be on my way

Martha Starr - I'm lonely

Jimmy Ruffin - Don't feel sorry for me

Four Gents - Young girls beware

George Freeman - Down and out

Sea Shells - Quiet home

Appreciations - It's better to cry

Soulettes - Bring your fine self home

Four Voices - Your love is getting stronger

Gwen Owens - I lost a good thing

Magnetics - Heart you're made of stone

Jackie Beavers - Love that never grows cold

Steve Mancha - Did my baby call

Gwen Owens - Mystery man

Diane Lewis - you ain't got a chance

Lee Rogers - Sock some love power to me

Lorraine Chandler - Tell me you're mine

Emanuel Laskey - Don't lead me on

Rose Batiste - I just can't leave you

Melvin Davis - I must love you

Debonaires - Loving you takes all of my time

Doni Burdick - Bari track

I know some mistakes among them, i.e. George Freeman and Diane Lewis C/up aren't Detroit. But great stuff nevertheless

Here's a scan of vol1's tracklist:

post-1670-0-10802700-1398110750_thumb.jp

Social source share

Precisions, Professionals (different take), Bob Collins, Sweets, Sandy Golden were all on same tape Kev with "Love on a lease plan" not sure who that was by, maybe Johnnie Taylor

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Yep me too, he posted it bless him. That's why Rob did more (for me) for the scene than any other big name DJ of that time. Never thought of himself anything other than one of us (unlike some), always willing to share his knowledge about records, not only through talking but by taking the time to do tapes. Great times indeed

And a good crack to travel with to boot. Top lad Rob.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!