Hopkins Bros On Ebay

...there seems to be a misunderstanding and someone has bid 10k on this, i have removed the record and hope this sillyness will cease,i have spoken to the tracks owners dave welding and all is fine,please read the text in the description it clearly explains its part of a collection of purchased from a dj without any knowledge of any the tracks titles as they are all blank,TO BE CLEAR THEY ARE ALL SINGLE COPIES and are in no way an attempt to reproduce/reissue/bootleg any of the titles,this may appear trivial but i take it very seriously indeed as it could have a negative effect on my business...many thanks,steve jeffries 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest wrighty

surprised no-one's mentioned this but if these carvers are supposedly from a DJ collection and they're all blank with no artist/title how the hell would he have known what he was playing (when dj'ing)?  :huh:

Social source share

...there seems to be a misunderstanding and someone has bid 10k on this, i have removed the record and hope this sillyness will cease,i have spoken to the tracks owners dave welding and all is fine,please read the text in the description it clearly explains its part of a collection of purchased from a dj without any knowledge of any the tracks titles as they are all blank,TO BE CLEAR THEY ARE ALL SINGLE COPIES and are in no way an attempt to reproduce/reissue/bootleg any of the titles,this may appear trivial but i take it very seriously indeed as it could have a negative effect on my business...many thanks,steve jeffries 

Hey Steve, hope you are well.  What you are saying may well be true & above board mate, but it is my understanding, that IF the carvers from this collection are counterfeit, even if you have bought them in good faith, by selling them on again, even unknowingly, you may still be liable ?.  I don't think it is worth risking your business & or reputation, over a misunderstanding on a discs authenticity, even though as I you say, you may have bought in good faith.

Best Russ

Social source share

Am I reading this right "..I have spoken to the tracks owners Dave Welding and all is fine.." So is DW the DJ the carvers were bought from or DW is the owner of these blank unknown discs that have turned out be of some very rare and expensive records and the DJ they were purchased from is anonymous.

Very confusing state of affairs at any rate..

Social source share

Am I reading this right "..I have spoken to the tracks owners Dave Welding and all is fine.." So is DW the DJ the carvers were bought from or DW is the owner of these blank unknown discs that have turned out be of some very rare and expensive records and the DJ they were purchased from is anonymous.

Very confusing state of affairs at any rate..

No, DW is the person who owns the license to release the record in the UK officially

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

probably not a misunderstanding. Djing with carvers of rare tracks is really crap, selling carvers of rare tracks is really crap, buying carvers of rare tracks us really crap.

if that's your business, get a proper job.

Well said my friend ' i agree with you.

Social source share

Cavers' boots ' reissues do my headin dj-ing buy or selling them.

Yes they are a pain in the arse,also see a lot of dealers listing records as unknown or unlisted when most i have looked at have been known for years.

Edited by NCFC
Social source share

No, DW is the person who owns the license to release the record in the UK officially

Thanks for the clarification Pete. I felt if people weren't aware that DW had the rights to the Hopkins Brothers, was involved with Soul Junction and had produced the legal reissue that the post by Perux was unclear and could be misconstrued or misunderstood. In no way was I implying Dave was involved with carvers himself simply looking for a clarification from the seller of these carvers..

Social source share

Thanks for the clarification Pete. I felt if people weren't aware that DW had the rights to the Hopkins Brothers, was involved with Soul Junction and had produced the legal reissue that the post by Perux was unclear and could be misconstrued or misunderstood. In no way was I implying Dave was involved with carvers himself simply looking for a clarification from the seller of these carvers..

I never thought you were - didn't read like that to me

Social source share

So i'm still confused (and this is certainly no dig at anyone). Please can someone clarify where i have added a '??'...........

Dave Welding owns the right to release these officially in the UK.

The ebay seller has asked DW if it's ok to re-sell the carvers that have come into his possession from anonymous DJ??

The bootleg/carvers have been done with DW's consent originally, assuming that's why he's said it's "ok" and probably come from DW's recording, whatever format that exists on??

If the above is correct, it's simply a case that carvers have been allowed to be done by someone who owns the rights to all of the records, whether that be for personal or profitable use. Then someone has acquired said carvers from said person via some means and is now selling them on to joe public under a rather vague and confusing description on ebay but with the permission of the originator (DW). The ebay buyer is still purchasing a carver and can't be sure of it's legitimacy without reading this thread i guess, but that's their choice.

I'd be keen to know whether DW has the rights to the Willie Dale carver sold by the same seller?? Or is that a different licencee??

Social source share

So i'm still confused (and this is certainly no dig at anyone). Please can someone clarify where i have added a '??'...........

Dave Welding owns the right to release these officially in the UK.

The ebay seller has asked DW if it's ok to re-sell the carvers that have come into his possession from anonymous DJ??

The bootleg/carvers have been done with DW's consent originally, assuming that's why he's said it's "ok" and probably come from DW's recording, whatever format that exists on??

If the above is correct, it's simply a case that carvers have been allowed to be done by someone who owns the rights to all of the records, whether that be for personal or profitable use. Then someone has acquired said carvers from said person via some means and is now selling them on to joe public under a rather vague and confusing description on ebay but with the permission of the originator (DW). The ebay buyer is still purchasing a carver and can't be sure of it's legitimacy without reading this thread i guess, but that's their choice.

I'd be keen to know whether DW has the rights to the Willie Dale carver sold by the same seller?? Or is that a different licencee??

Dave hasn't said that any carvers of his stuff can be sold, in fact totally the opposite.

Social source share

Dave hasn't said that any carvers of his stuff can be sold, in fact totally the opposite.

Thanks Pete.

So we can assume then that the quote in the thread earlier about it being ok is an untruth?

Quick edit on my part. The quote earlier doesn't actually mention any content about what they and DW talked about.

Still mightily confused though :-)

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Thanks Pete.

So we can assume then that the quote in the thread earlier about it being ok is an untruth?

Quick edit on my part. The quote earlier doesn't actually mention any content about what they and DW talked about.

Still mightily confused though :-)

I'll PM you

Social source share

surprised no-one's mentioned this but if these carvers are supposedly from a DJ collection and they're all blank with no artist/title how the hell would he have known what he was playing (when dj'ing)?  :huh:

symbiotic telepathy existed between the man and the contents of the faked record box. punters with blood spraying from their tinnitus sodden ears have reported carvers leaving the box and entering the DJs hand resembling something from an early 90s episode of Mahabharat. 

would strongly urge all who are tempted to veer clear of any purchase as the next step in this madness involves trying to sell numero box set 45s for 100 quid and as yet there's no known cure for this rare condition.    

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Who needs labels eh? When I DJ and the promoter asks, 'where's your playbox?' I give a wink, tap the side of my head and say, 'It's all up here...'

Needless to say I don't get many spots.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!