Simon Soussan Found

Ian Are you sure Susanne DePasse was not horrified by the original plan to release it on a 12" picture disc with photos of Northern Soul DJ's?!!!  I can still remember the late phone call from you and Simon, coming up with the plan and I went back to bed shaking my head. I think it was going to be Northern Soul medley to begin with (?), and you came up with  the concept of making it a Motown Medley. Can you imagine how awful a NS medley would have been?

I can also remember you calling me from LA after you had seen Susanne.

Then of course Simon got more backers for the records than there were shares...I think he must have seen the film "The Producers". He well and truly ripped us of on it.

Yep. We probably got stung more than anyone when you add it up. However, I'm sure S.S. got screwed by Soultrain. That whole thing was just a circle of sharks wasn't it? 

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Guest davebyork

Doni Burdick was a backing track from a 1965 recording so he had ball all to do with it and didn't deserve a cent. Love And Desire's Billy Page, nothing to do with Sidney if you're talking Patrice Holloway. Writers and artists don't get paid for the original releases unless they sell in reasonable quantities

I've never been clear on the relationship between "Bari Track" and the instrumental version of "I miss my baby" which was on a Goldmine "Groovesville Review" CD.  

Are they exactly the same recording, just taken from different  copies of the master tape or something?

Has Doni Burdock got anything to do with the record at all? 

Social source share

Was'nt what I meant, although rereading my post it does,

DG quite innocently asked all B&S readers to tell him there favorite sounds, MY collection went a whole new direction when he started printing them in his column.

What I meant was that a magazine had published details of sounds, entireley innocent of ulterior motive other than getting it across to a wider audiance, especiaslly the NS starved South of the UK, and the unscrupulous had a ready made data base of sounds that were on everybodies wish list at the time, and possibly factored it into their release policy.

Possibly, we'd have to ask Batman who is in the Antipodes I think. He was a hard-core nighter goer and knew his sounds from there probably more than B&S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Possibly, we'd have to ask Batman who is in the Antipodes I think. He was a hard-core nighter goer and knew his sounds from there probably more than B&S

BUT were'nt we all at the time, hard core nighter goers, but not very knowlegable music wise at the time, (other than tunes from Wilby/Kellmarsh/ Earls Barton) Cats, Torch, Mecca, Birds Nest :hatsoff2:, etc etc were event AND tunes yet to come, at least to me at the time :yes:  :yes: . 

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

I've never been clear on the relationship between "Bari Track" and the instrumental version of "I miss my baby" which was on a Goldmine "Groovesville Review" CD.  

Are they exactly the same recording, just taken from different  copies of the master tape or something?

It's actually the master tape to 'This Heart Is Lonely' by Rose Batiste that was unreleased until the first Pied Piper CD on Kent. It was then recorded by Rose for Revilot, slightly adjusted to 'I Miss My Baby'-one of the lines from 'This Heart Is Lonely'. Somehow Doni Burdick got hold of it and it was put out on one of Ed Wingate's labels. The producers and writers were totally re-written and somehow it got a Jobete publishing credit. It's as murky as can be but the original version and the sequence of releases is correct.
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

BUT were'nt we all at the time, hard core nighter goers, but not very knowlegable music wise at the time, (other than tunes from Wilby/Kellmarsh/ Earls Barton) Cats, Torch, Mecca, Birds Nest :hatsoff2:, etc etc were event AND tunes yet to come, at least to me at the time :yes:  :yes: .

Some were, some weren't Batman knew his stuff as did most of the DJs of course.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

All of Doni Burdick's recordings seem to be using backing tracks like his out of tune 'Candle' that uses the Dynamics 'I Need Your Love' and 'Whatcha Gonna Do' uses September Jones Chink A Chank Baby. I Have Faith In You is Edwin Starr's backing track and credits the right writers but changes the producers, only 'Open The Door To Your Heart' seems to be a fully legit cover with the proper credits. As many dubious practices as that bloke from Leeds; no they couldn't be could they?
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

All of Doni Burdick's recordings seem to be using backing tracks like his out of tune 'Candle' that uses the Dynamics 'I Need Your Love' and 'Whatcha Gonna Do' uses September Jones Chink A Chank Baby. I Have Faith In You is Edwin Starr's backing track and credits the right writers but changes the producers, only 'Open The Door To Your Heart' seems to be a fully legit cover with the proper credits. As many dubious practices as that bloke from Leeds; no they couldn't be could they?

Interesting…..

Social source share

Ah but if they were...who was the guy who played live at Prestatyn??

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest davebyork

It's actually the master tape to 'This Heart Is Lonely' by Rose Batiste that was unreleased until the first Pied Piper CD on Kent. It was then recorded by Rose for Revilot, slightly adjusted to 'I Miss My Baby'-one of the lines from 'This Heart Is Lonely'. Somehow Doni Burdick got hold of it and it was put out on one of Ed Wingate's labels. The producers and writers were totally re-written and somehow it got a Jobete publishing credit. It's as murky as can be but the original version and the sequence of releases is correct.

​Thanks for shining some light through the murk! I'm going to get myself those Pied Piper CDs.  I'm just starting to realise that Jack Ashford was involved in many of my all time favourite tracks.

Social source share

​Got Bari Track/Miss my baby (latter being played at the time- circa 72) around 74 from Derek at Coaville Market, who had on his labels "special import" or summat like that, soul bowl.

Social source share

​I remember from one of John Powney's sales lists 20 years ago a record he credited as "vocal to Doni Burdick's Whatcha Gonna Do". Can't remember the artist but label was Cameo-Parkway or just Parkway. Does that ring any bells?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/06/2015 at 22:46, Benji said:

I remember from one of John Powney's sales lists 20 years ago a record he credited as "vocal to Doni Burdick's Whatcha Gonna Do". Can't remember the artist but label was Cameo-Parkway or just Parkway. Does that ring any bells?

Silly me it's the unissued September Jones Chink A Chank baby on our Pied Piper CD

Social source share

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, Colsoul said:

i remember John Powney telling me years ago about a daniel e skidmore 111, record that had similar backing to a doni burdick track on parkway ,but dont know which one, Colin

That would be listen to the wind, old Pat Brady cover up from Bradford Queens Hall era 
Covered up as Danny Monday if I remember.

well forgotten but great 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Colsoul said:

i remember John Powney telling me years ago about a daniel e skidmore 111, record that had similar backing to a doni burdick track on parkway ,but dont know which one, Colin

Only tiny little bit similar in parts IMO:

• Thanks 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!