Last Soul Or Nothing At Aqua Bar

This is gonna be the last event at Aqua Bar in Manchester,gonna take a break for a while and sort a new venue...Thanks to all who have been down the last year and hope to see a few of you on Saturday...

Soul Or Nothing

Manchester

Aqua Bar

Saturday...2nd Dec...8pm to 3am...

Guest djs..

Wayne Dearman

Stuart Cheetham

Derek Pearson

Residents

Jumpin Joan..

Karl Rhodes..

Adam Leaver..

Paul Sadot..

style.. 60s/70s northern soul, crossover, big beat ballads, RnB

all served medium rare...

£5 on the door..

Steve Cato..mob..07752084878

https://www.essential-vinyl.co.uk/soulornothing.htm

email...stevecato64@yahoo.co.uk

Venue opposite g-mex behind the hacienda,100 yards from Deansgate Station.100 yards from the Ritz..

Free parking outside venue on side street & in small car park...Plus all night multi story opposite & NCP round the corner on Whitworth Street...

Edited by little-stevie
  • Replies 52
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Shame you're losing you're venue - and hope the last event there goes with a bang!

Haven't seen Stuart for years - give him a kiss and a squeeze from me won't you?

Yet again we'll not be along for this one. Still as you discovered, looking after tinies eats into your social life

Take care honey

x

This is gonna be the last event at Aqua Bar in Manchester...Hope to be back sometime in the new year with another venue...Hope to see a few of you there..

============

Notice what you said about the club owners, and also read of a similar thing happening at Dave T's Aston Villa do. Have these owners got something against northern soul, do we not fit a certain profile? Can't get a more peaceful bunch than soulies (in general) plenty is drunk, what more is required?

This is gonna be the last event at Aqua Bar in Manchester...Hope to be back sometime in the new year with another venue...Hope to see a few of you there..

all the best

steve

Soul Or Nothing... Manchester....

Saturday....2nd Dec... 8pm to 3am..

£5 on the door..

Aqua Bar...opp g-mex behind the hacienda,100 yards from Deansgate Station.100 yards from the Ritz..

Guest djs..

Derek Pearson

Wayne Dearman

Stuart Cheetham

Residents..

Jumpin Joan,,

Karl Rhodes..

Adam Leaver.

Paul Sadot..

style..

rare 60s/70s northern soul,crossover,big beat ballads,RnB....etc.. etc...

details..www.cooloff.net..mob..07752084878

Free parking outside on side street and in small car park..Plus all night multi story opposite and NCP round the corner on Whitworth Street...

Steve , bit scary -we came to cooloff @ Mint Lounge -it then closed , then to LLoyd St -then it closed and last month to one of the best soul underground nites we have ever had @ Aqua Bar -then I read this posting .....

let me know as soon as new venue is fixed.

atb

Andy

============

Notice what you said about the club owners, and also read of a similar thing happening at Dave T's Aston Villa do. Have these owners got something against northern soul, do we not fit a certain profile? Can't get a more peaceful bunch than soulies (in general) plenty is drunk, what more is required?

Winnie, the owners are in business, and I'm afraid that soulies do not drink anything like the young 'un's do. I'm having the same problems with the owners of my venue. Most of the people that attend my nighter travel a long way. That means that a lot of them have to drive home, and that means no drinking. I am having to give the owners more and more from the door takings to keep them sweet. I don't think we have more than half a dozen local people who attend.

Compare that to a wedding reception, 18th or 21st birthday bash, the usual thing that the venue is used for. Where the people are all local and all get hammered, there's just no comparison financially.

On the plus side the owner was very impressed with all the compliments and thanks he received from my punters. And there good behavior.

But if I keep having to increase his cut of the door takings, how am I going to pay the DJ's?

It's a big problem. To get a top quality venue that everyone wants to hire means the owner can afford to pick and choose his clients. It's easy to get a crappy venue, but soulies are far more choosy these days and won't attend unless you are offering them something a bit special.

Guest Neil Taylor

HI MATE,ALL THE BEST OF LUCK, FOR FINDING A NEW VENUE FOR NEXT YEAR. :yes: .....I HOPE YOU COME UP TRUMPS,BECAUSE I`M HOLDING YOU TO YOUR WORD,.....ME PLAYING A FEW TUNES AT SOUL OR NOTHING IN 2007.....SEE YOU SOON.

NEIL.

24TH NOV, BURNLEY ALL- NIGHTER @ THE KESTRAL SUITE. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear this, I'm sure this won't be the last of Soul Or Nothing, cream rises :huh: . Hope you and all the residents get a new venue sorted PDQ....See ya soon....Tony

Winnie, the owners are in business, and I'm afraid that soulies do not drink anything like the young 'un's do. I'm having the same problems with the owners of my venue. Most of the people that attend my nighter travel a long way. That means that a lot of them have to drive home, and that means no drinking. I am having to give the owners more and more from the door takings to keep them sweet. I don't think we have more than half a dozen local people who attend.

Compare that to a wedding reception, 18th or 21st birthday bash, the usual thing that the venue is used for. Where the people are all local and all get hammered, there's just no comparison financially.

On the plus side the owner was very impressed with all the compliments and thanks he received from my punters. And there good behavior.

But if I keep having to increase his cut of the door takings, how am I going to pay the DJ's?

It's a big problem. To get a top quality venue that everyone wants to hire means the owner can afford to pick and choose his clients. It's easy to get a crappy venue, but soulies are far more choosy these days and won't attend unless you are offering them something a bit special.

Phil.

Bar takings are never a problem in the North East or Scotland mate !

• 2 weeks later...

Time to bump up our last event at Aqua Bar..Drop me a line if you want any more info..

Soul Or Nothing

Manchester

Aqua Bar

Guest djs..

Wayne Dearman

Stuart Cheetham

Derek Pearson

Residents

Jumpin Joan,,

Karl Rhodes..

Adam Leaver.

Paul Sadot..

£5 on the door..

Venue opposite g-mex behind the hacienda,100 yards from Deansgate Station.100 yards from the Ritz..

Free parking outside venue on side street & in small car park...Plus all night multi story opposite & NCP round the corner on Whitworth Street...

Edited by little-stevie

============

When Sheridans shut and Lifeline had to look for a new venue you wouldn't believe the trouble we had finding a venue. As soon as Northern Soul mentioned the club owners just didn't want to know in the main.

Best of luck in the future Steve.

.....GETTING ON A PLANE BACK FROM OZ TODAY! After going to the Melbourne National and having four days of the same old, same old.....I cant wait for the 'SOUL OR NOTHING' antidote!! Be good to hear stuff on original vinyl aswell! A lot of the dj's at the Oz National seemed content to play all sorts of boots and pressings, including one of their guest Pom's.....not myself!! Worst moment was when I was playing Johnny McCall - I need you and someone came up demanding to know if I was going to play any 'Northern' ! IAnyway, I did hear some great stuff at Frank and Alex's place and am bringing a couple of nice ones back to play on Saturday! CANT WAIT!!

PAUL-S yes.gif

.....GETTING ON A PLANE BACK FROM OZ TODAY! After going to the Melbourne National and having four days of the same old, same old.....I cant wait for the 'SOUL OR NOTHING' antidote!! Be good to hear stuff on original vinyl aswell! A lot of the dj's at the Oz National seemed content to play all sorts of boots and pressings, including one of their guest Pom's.....not myself!! Worst moment was when I was playing Johnny McCall - I need you and someone came up demanding to know if I was going to play any 'Northern' ! IAnyway, I did hear some great stuff at Frank and Alex's place and am bringing a couple of nice ones back to play on Saturday! CANT WAIT!!

PAUL-S :unsure:

Have a safe trip Paulie... can't wait to see you... missed ya! thumbsup.gif

Good luck on the last one at Aqua Steve ! wish I could have been there. had a great time this Summer me and Ludvig. Music and atmosphere was abs brilliant :thumbsup: didn´t hear a bad track all night . Great having Derek on as well + all the others :D I hope it go out with a bang as it deserves to do !

Time to bump up our last event at Aqua Bar..Drop me a line if you want any more info..

Soul Or Nothing

Manchester

Aqua Bar

Guest djs..

Wayne Dearman

Stuart Cheetham

Derek Pearson

Residents

Jumpin Joan,,

Karl Rhodes..

Adam Leaver.

Paul Sadot..

£5 on the door..

THIS SHOULD BE ONE HELL OF A GOOD NIGHT.......................So, make the effort for the last Aqua Bar event and make it a brilliant one.... :thumbsup:

HAVE A SCORCHER BROTHERS & SISTERS ...I JUST KNOW YOU WILL !!! ......I KNOW IT WONT BE THE LAST IF STEVIE HAS OWT TO DO WITH IT. APOLOGIES FOR ABSCENCE...I'LL GET ME MAM TO WRITE A NOTE....WE HAD ALREADY PLANNED A TRIP TO CARDIFF BUT THAT'S LOOKING DOUBTFULL AS I'VE KNACKERED THE OWD BACK UP..............SORRY OFF THE POINT.....................POINT IS.................HAVE A TOP NIGHT ....KICK OUT THE JAMS AND EXIT IN STYLE ...ONWARDS AND UPWARDS MY FRIENDS .........CPTN M & CHE VARGAS :(

HAVE A SCORCHER BROTHERS & SISTERS ...I JUST KNOW YOU WILL !!! ......I KNOW IT WONT BE THE LAST IF STEVIE HAS OWT TO DO WITH IT. APOLOGIES FOR ABSCENCE...I'LL GET ME MAM TO WRITE A NOTE....WE HAD ALREADY PLANNED A TRIP TO CARDIFF BUT THAT'S LOOKING DOUBTFULL AS I'VE KNACKERED THE OWD BACK UP..............SORRY OFF THE POINT.....................POINT IS.................HAVE A TOP NIGHT ....KICK OUT THE JAMS AND EXIT IN STYLE ...ONWARDS AND UPWARDS MY FRIENDS .........CPTN M & CHE VARGAS :(

Cheers Chris

I hope the old back gets better soon :yes::yes: ..Thanks for the good wishes and i will pop in and see you soon..Yes looking forward to Sat and looking forward to finding a new venue...Looking forward to meeting some new folk on Sat with the Wayne Dearman fan club coming along from Yorkshire/Lincs..I will post some dj times tomorrow if i get the chance and if you are gonna come then come early,good tunes from the off...Drop me a line or give me a call if you need any more info..

steve

Guest barnsey

me and mr beggs are coming up so see you all saturday.havin a bit of trouble gettin johnnys hair in a pillow case but should have done it by saturday ha ha see you saturday steve .the grand wizard :thumbsup:

Nice one Barnsey,always good to see the grand wizard in town..You can wear the bedsheet but leave the burning cross outside,we have safety and all that to think about..

No bother Bazza,places come and go but the music goes on,i will find some other place and have you all back on again... Yes the anniversary was something i will remember for a long time...Looking forward though,not back!..

If any folk who are coming on Sat never got our 1st anniversary cd then drop me a line,i can burn a few more for Sat...Always good to share the sounds...

Soul Or Nothing

Manchester

Aqua Bar

Guest djs..

Wayne Dearman

Stuart Cheetham

Derek Pearson

Residents

Jumpin Joan,,

Karl Rhodes..

Adam Leaver.

Paul Sadot..

£5 on the door..

Gettin exited now for this 1. Gonna be a cracker !!!!!!!!!!!!

Got all the faith in the world in you Steve to get another venue!!!

See you Sat nice and early

Karl

Feel really sad about this being the last one.... we've all put our hearts into making this a night we could all be proud of...

LET'S GIVE IT THE SEND OFF IT DESERVES... AND ONE TO REMEMBER :thumbsup:

ALL THE ONES I'VE HAD THE PLEASURE TO ATTEND HAVE BEEN CRACKERS (AND THE PEOPLE....JUST KIDDING) HAVE A BRAHMA OF AN EVENING..................' VIVA VIMTO ' CnC :D

Can't wait....hopefully gonna get to the brill do at York Rugby Club (Tony Hatfield, John Parker) then head over to S O N for some more good toons :D

Sarahx

Behave yourself wont you girl, as you wont have me to keep an eye on you :thumbsup::(

Actually I think it is the other way round. biggrin.gif

Hope it goes well Steve, would be there keeping Sarah company, but I'm working that night at Piercebridge. Will be thinking of you all.

Kirstyx

Guest Neil Taylor

HI MATE

HAVE A CRACKING NIGHT SATURDAY,AND GO OUT WITH A BANG.

SEE YOU OVER XMAS/NEW YEAR(MIDDLETON MAYBE)

DOING THE 2-3AM SLOT AT P/BRIDGE,SO CAN`T BE WITH YOU.

LOVE TO THE MISS`ES.

NEIL.

love the people,loved the venue in a funny sort of way,a big miss i reckon! good luck,will never forget the anniversary and the pleasure i had when i spun shake me wake me by the four tops and the place lifted,hope to see you all soon and :thumbsup: all the best for sat.

BAZ A.

It were nowt to do wi Four Tops record Baz by the way - more to do with the "Karls-bird Special Brew" :yes:

Kev J

(a member of the Vimto Victim Support Group)

Edited by ZTSC

Like it Kev, nice one pal!!!

That has to go down as one of the best nights ever - a one off thats for sure.

I wish I could get down tomorrow - hope you all have a cracking night without me :thumbsup:

Soul Or Nothing - simply quality soul music without boundaries.

Good Luck for the future

Edited by ZTSC

Dj times for Saturday night..

8pm................................residents...Joan/Karl/Paul

9pm..............................Stuart Cheetham

9.20.............................Derek Pearson

9.40............................Residents........

10.10.........................Adam Leaver

11pm........................Stuart Cheetham

11.40......................Residents

12.10......................Derek Pearson

12.50.....................Wayne Dearman

1.40......................Residents

2.20......................Residents

3am.....................close......

Will have the night starting and ending with some of the great tunes over the last year from the residents...Last call before tomorrow and time for bed...Hope the boys at Durham/York/Mansfield/Middlewhich and elsewhere have a good night too at your events and lets all get together sometime and keep the fire burning... :thumbsup:

Edited by little-stevie

Dj times for Saturday night..

8pm................................residents...Joan/Karl/Paul

9pm..............................Stuart Cheetham

9.20.............................Derek Pearson

9.40............................Residents........

10.10.........................Adam Leaver

11pm........................Stuart Cheetham

11.40......................Residents

12.10......................Derek Pearson

12.50.....................Wayne Dearman

1.40......................Residents

2.20......................Residents

3am.....................close......

Will have the night starting and ending with some of the great tunes over the last year from the residents...Last call before tomorrow and time for bed...Hope the boys at Durham/York/Mansfield/Middlewhich and elsewhere have a good night too at your events and lets all get together sometime and keep the fire burning... :thumbsup:

Have to say... feel a bit choked... well more than a bit actually... really sad it's the last one.

This last year has meant so much to all of us... and i for one feel so proud to have been part of something so special.

So.. here's to a night of complete and utter mayhem.. and vimto.. the Soul or Nothing way :yes:

Source Advert