Ultra Rare Modern

Simon M

The last record ever released on Laurie is rare. Can't remember what it's called right now -

Is that Mary Mundy "Love is gone" by any chance? Got a copy off Kev Roberts via eBay for 50 pence a couple of weeks ago ohmy.gif . Hard on 7 inch but perhaps nothing for the list.

What's your take on these?

Paul Wright on Pork

Ecstacy - Squeeze Star Charts - OK&T release is so hard, this one is even rarer?

Carbon Copies

LaRom Baker

Social source share

• Replies 305
  • Views 31.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

No takers on this boys and girls?

C.B. just heard it via JM auction........so by default that must make it a toughie thumbsup.gif

Anyone else?????

Cheers

Steve

Heard this via a Paul Capon Cd a few years ago, apart from that one I only know of three copies.

Social source share

Is that Mary Mundy "Love is gone" by any chance? Got a copy off Kev Roberts via eBay for 50 pence a couple of weeks ago ohmy.gif . Hard on 7 inch but perhaps nothing for the list.

Paul Wright on Pork

Ecstacy - Squeeze Star Charts - OK&T release is so hard, this one is even rarer?

Carbon Copies

LaRom Baker

Larom Baker was 3 copies for a long while ..But I heard he turned up in the USA a while back and some more came through ???.. seen a few people playlist paul wright too

Social source share

Heard this via a Paul Capon Cd a few years ago, apart from that one I only know of three copies.

Yes, the copy of Len Jewell on Mr Wood that was on JM's auction was from Paul Capon (originally owned by Charlie from London)

The only other two i know of are owned by Barry Maleady & meself............that's why i was very keen to know if there were any others around as i've an obvious vested interest in it whistling.gif

I always wondered whether Andy Dyson, Butch &/or Tim Brown had it but always forgot to ask them!

btw Before i got my copy, i was offered the Paul Capon 45 a couple of years ago for £2000 (don't laugh, it's true!!)

I believe the copy on JM's auction went for £364, which even for a relatively beat up copy is a bargain in my book! Wonder who won it?????? Anyone know????

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

ive only got a Willie Dee ??!! unsure.gif Whats the others

I've got a Willie Dee (It looks like rain) too; I think Butch also has one - so there's 3 - any more out there?

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I've got a Willie Dee (It looks like rain) too; I think Butch also has one - so there's 3 - any more out there?

Brian thumbsup.gif

I think Chris B and there was one on manships ..also I assume Steve G has it ? I think theres a few Brian

plus before anyone asks.. Tab Walton ..Clarkie had these 1984 .. 4 or 5 I think and Soul Bowl had some but not sure how many thumbsup.gif maybe only 2 ...

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Yes, the copy of Len Jewell on Mr Wood that was on JM's auction was from Paul Capon (originally owned by Charlie from London)

The only other two i know of are owned by Barry Maleady & meself............that's why i was very keen to know if there were any others around as i've an obvious vested interest in it whistling.gif

I always wondered whether Andy Dyson, Butch &/or Tim Brown had it but always forgot to ask them!

btw Before i got my copy, i was offered the Paul Capon 45 a couple of years ago for £2000 (don't laugh, it's true!!)

I believe the copy on JM's auction went for £364, which even for a relatively beat up copy is a bargain in my book! Wonder who won it?????? Anyone know????

Cheers

Steve

I was wondering that as well, I am sure the proud owner whoever they are will be dropping it somewhere soon. I think I know who got it, and if I am right, you know them, but I can't say for sure, so won't.

Social source share

Paul Wright on Pork

Carbon Copies

LaRom Baker

I think that's the title, and agree hard on 7. I know a couple of "North West Johnnies" who paid considerably more than 50p for it.

OK&T very obscure label - who remembers Larry Bailey & Co? £5 from Soul Bowl in 1982 yes.gif

Carbon Copies -agreed, top rare.

Social source share

I think that's the title, and agree hard on 7. I know a couple of "North West Johnnies" who paid considerably more than 50p for it.

OK&T very obscure label - who remembers Larry Bailey & Co? £5 from Soul Bowl in 1982 yes.gif

Carbon Copies -agreed, top rare.

Yeah I remember Larry Bailey OK&T a blue lable .I paid £10 blush.gif Pat Brady reviewd it in Echoes

Social source share

Here's a few well known ones that may or may not qualify.....

What about Cracksteppin' "What are we going to do with this feeling" on a 7? I thought there were a few copies about, but apart from Ivor and Sam, I'm no longer so sure. unsure.gif

Grey Imprint? More x-over than moddun.

Richard Lackey on Solid Foundation? I know one copy got sold 3 times rolleyes.gif

Marilyn Smith on So Jamm?

Lil Major Williams on the blue label (Plectrum?)

Bobby Montgomery on Crescent?

Clyde Milton on DT?

Social source share

I was wondering that as well, I am sure the proud owner whoever they are will be dropping it somewhere soon. I think I know who got it, and if I am right, you know them, but I can't say for sure, so won't.

will the new owner of the Len Jewell on Mr Wood please stand up :thumbsup::lol::lol:

don't tell me there will be three copies of it in boxes at the next Orwell wicked.gifwicked.gif:rolleyes:

Social source share

Clyde Milton on DT?

Seen quite a few Clyde Milton a great gritty version of feet .

Hey Steve , whats the Full run on the DT lable , I have a few .. ( Detroit Disco rolleyes.gif )

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

What about Cracksteppin' "What are we going to do with this feeling" on a 7? I thought there were a few copies about, but apart from Ivor and Sam, I'm no longer so sure. unsure.gif

Grey Imprint? More x-over than moddun.

Richard Lackey on Solid Foundation? I know one copy got sold 3 times rolleyes.gif

Marilyn Smith on So Jamm?

Lil Major Williams on the blue label (Plectrum?)

Bobby Montgomery on Crescent?

Clyde Milton on DT?

I've seen both Richard Lackey and Marylin Smith on eBay a couple of times, same goes for Cracksteppin 45 (I've got one of those as well) and must be more copies out there!

What about major label 45's? Can think of two:

Jim Gilstrap "Run run run"

We the People on Polydor - anybody even know of this?

Social source share

Yep a bargain of course, second copy of Mary Mundy I had, know of three other but should be quite a few more out there. The 12 inch is fairly easy.

Know of three OK&T releases, have details of the third one on my home computer (remember Lars B aka Docfish telling me it was crap?). Ex-Ta-C is however easily the best - killer modern! It's the same recording released on Star Charts. Later the group had a track on a Arizona various artist compilation, anyone know of more releases by this group?

Social source share

What about Tolbert "I`ve Got It" ? Not soo many of this around unsure.gif Also Timeless Legend maybe ?

Quite a few Tolberts at least 6 or 7 ..There was a rumour that it was on an old soul bowl list for £8 .. I saw at least 100 Timeless Legends "Born to love you " in a rack at Soul bowl .(.Blimey I keep going on about Soul bowl :) )

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

What about the Mark IV - If you can't tell me something good about my baby on 7"?

Brian thumbsup.gif

I think a few have turned up . Steve Jackson had some , and someone else metioned a find on here .

Also a few japanese have the 7 (btw The Japanese have Florence traps too but soul45.org is down so I cant check ). Big record for Poke ,Mk IV, what a good DJ he was ! That reminds me The Hugh Boyton blue issue may still be a one off !

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

how about...1. black clouds of thunder ,2. la rom baker ,3. exquisites on crow

Don't know the Black Clouds of Thunder 45 - can you post up the details? Song title and label that is, would of course also love a mp3 whistling.gif

Know of three copies of LaRom Baker - Arthur Fenn, eBay auction and Manship auction.

What about Chosen Few Band on Buffalo's Reflection? Know that a handful copies turned up recently, has it been around before in smaller quantities?

Another rare one - Detroit group Perfect Touch on H.E.M.M. "Your love has got the power" - anybody know this? The group had some less rare 45's as well (on Morning Glory, Creative Profile and Celebrity) as well as an album.

Social source share

Guest duncanm

King Moses

Sonic Explosion

Paradise

Ronnie Barnes

Flouresent Smogg

Ice

Al Alonso Wilson

+++++++++

Still holding up as Uber rare :):lol:ph34r.gif btw Im excluding Acetate thingys at the mo

No 12"s in the list ??

Also, what about records that are suspected/rumoured to exist, but copies still have to be found ??? Things like missing labelrunning numbers, issue copies of known demos (or viceversa) , advertised releases that never came out, and so on... :lol:

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

No 12"s in the list ??

Also, what about records that are suspected/rumoured to exist, but copies still have to be found ??? Things like missing labelrunning numbers, issue copies of known demos (or viceversa) , advertised releases that never came out, and so on... :lol:

thumbsup.gif

How about King Tutt on a 12"?

Only know of about 5 at most & 1 unplayable 12" demo & before anybody comes on & say's it ain't that rare iv'e been after it for about 25 years to no avail so if it ain't rare sell me a copy nice & cheap.

Also wouldn't mind a good quality mp3 of the 12" version if anybody could pm it me please.

PS, Nice thread Simon :)

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Guest lotusland

Tom and I have a mint copy of Pinch of Perfection in our collection. Maybe I can get Tom to do a soundclip, as he has it with him in california for now.

a.

Edited by lotusland
Social source share

This mans got some modern !!

DJ : Hitoshi Takasawa playlist

1. Ice / Reality (ICE) '80

2. Frankie Alexander / No seat dancin (DeElegance) '86

3. - / Take time out for me ( - ) '86

4. Toast / It's just an illusion (Charm City) '83

5. Peace, Justice & Equality / Of all the hearts (Stone Gold)

6. Network / Let me come in (Airways)

7. Larry & Vicky / How I wish (Fraternity) '77

8. The Preparations / You don't want me (Jarda) '71

9. The Metaphors / Come on back (to me) (RAD) '72

10. The Love Experience / Waiting for your love (Cherry Red)

11. Touch of Class / Caring and sharing (Manguary) '80

12. Ecstasy / If I could only (Star Charts) '80

13. Ex-Ta-C / If I could only (OK & T) '80

14. The Deacon / I want to be loved (2nd House)

15. Manila Machine / Poor loser (Asia Major)

16. - / Poor loser (alternate version) (Asia Major album)

17. The Roman & Weston Expo / We'd better quit (Double Scorpion) '75

18. Peace on Earth, P.O.E. / Love foundation (Chat Town) '76

19. Rick Thompson / We all make mistakes sometimes (Columbia)

20. Pinch of Perfection / All that's left is memories (G&W) '76

21. Target / Give me one more chance (KAMA)

DJ : Hitoshi Takasawa

DJ : Katuaki Sano

Social source share

This mans got some modern !!

DJ : Hitoshi Takasawa playlist

'

Ain't he just yes.gif

Found another of his playlists.

DJ : Hitoshi Takasawa

1. The Brothers Gilmore / I feel a song (Bantu)

2. Tolbert / I've got it (Rojac)

3. Bill Coday / A man can't be a man (Epic)

4. Earl White Jr. / Very special girl (Cygnet)

5. Richard Marks / Innocent bystander (Free Spirit)

6. Bobby Thurston / This can't be hapenning to me (Main Line)

7. Rudy Love / Housewife blues (Love F&F)

8. Robert Tanner / Be my woman (Megatone)

9. Bill Sampson / Sweet little angel (Motion)

10. Chuck Strong / I thought it over (Aduwa)

11. C.L.Blast / Got to find someone (Pelican)

12. H.L.Bryant / See if I can't get your mama to come back home (7AVML)

13. Corey Blake / Your love is like a boomerang (Capitol)

14. Lorraine Johnson / Can I hold you to it (Atlantic)

15. Dorothy Moore / Two of a kind (Chimneyville)

16. Debbie Taylor / I have learned to do without you (Polydor)

17. Henry Shed / Somethings drastically wrong (Cream)

18. Bobby Shannon / I get my groove from you (To-Mar)

19. Clarence Mann / You met your match (Gramophone)

20. Chuck Roberson / When you see what you want (Great Philly)

21. Pat Boyack / The power is gone (Doc Blues CD)

22. Eugene Kemp / The power is gone (Excello)

23. unknown singer / My heart (acetate)

24. Timmy Willis / Give me a little sign (Epic)

25. Sonny & Diane / That's enough (Epic)

26. L.J.Reynolds / Stop look over your past (Monique)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Quite a few Tolberts at least 6 or 7 ..There was a rumour that it was on an old soul bowl list for £8 .. I saw at least 100 Timeless Legends "Born to love you " in a rack at Soul bowl .(.Blimey I keep going on about Soul bowl :) )

And why not? Soul Bowl was fabulous, for all things nice! A good chunk of my collection (such as it is) came via Kings Lynn! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Another link/thread on Larom baker .. First three , at John Andersons , went to Searling , Martin , and Arthur coverd up as Eddie Horan ..but Robin can confirm ...

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...ic=25675&hl=

:wicked:

Don't think Richard had it at the time Simon. Only Sam and Arthur were playing it. Not played on the northern scene then, only on the "Modern Soul" scene In fact, erase "don't think", and insert RS did NOT have it at the time ! same as he didn't "first play" Paul Thompson on Stax around 1990 as Kev Roberts states in his book. Try Poke around 8 years earlier.

And yes, Poke. What incredible taste he had. :thumbsup:

As an aside I got a very early copy of Timeless Legend from Dave Raistrick. Obviously Sam and Artur had it then , but Richard certainly didn't.

Social source share

Don't think Richard had it at the time Simon. Only Sam and Arthur were playing it. Not played on the northern scene then, only on the "Modern Soul" scene In fact, erase "don't think", and insert RS did NOT have it at the time ! same as he didn't "first play" Paul Thompson on Stax around 1990 as Kev Roberts states in his book. Try Poke around 8 years earlier.

As an aside I got a very early copy of Timeless Legend from Dave Raistrick. Obviously Sam and Artur had it then , but Richard certainly didn't.

You sure Steve?

Sure i've got an old tape kicking about somewhere of Searling playing Larom Baker on Soul Sauce on radio Hallam. Will try to find it out.

Seem to remember him playing it at Clifton & possibly Rebels as well.

Totally agree with you about Poke, the business :wicked:

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

You sure Steve?

Sure i've got an old tape kicking about somewhere of Searling playing Larom Baker on Soul Sauce on radio Hallam. Will try to find it out.

Seem to remember him playing it at Clifton & possibly Rebels as well.

Totally agree with you about Poke, the business :thumbsup:

Dont believe he ever played it at CH Martin. Might have had it around 84, but deffo not when Sam first played it. He did get acetates off Sam when they swapped bits, but RS generally would not play Sams things at " Northern" venues like CH and Stafford

Social source share

I think Sam played Paul Thompson as a new release when he was DJing in Wrexham. He told me he got it from Record Corner in Balham when it first came out. :wicked:

5. Richard Marks / Innocent bystander (Free Spirit)

What a great record, and one that certainly doesn't turn up. In the box for Bass Museum Simon though it might be a bit mellow for you!

The man never made a bad record (3 on Tuska, 1 on Shout and this one - any more?)

Agree on Poke as well.

Pinch of Perfection - think there's probably 15-20+ of them about. Great Philly pounder though - both sides :wicked: .

Tyrone Thomas "You're hardly gone" on Polydor - how often do you see this?

Records I've never seen include:

The 2nd Reflection single on Wand (4 walls and a telephone) - this featured John Simmons

The 2nd Lee Charles on Hot Wax - not sure it exists despite listing

Leon Ware on Gordy - does this exist or is it a myth? Evidence is now leaning towards the latter

....but I am migrating back into crossover /70s, rather than jangly uptempo funk :wicked:

Merry Christmas

Social source share

There was a copy of Richard Marks (Free Spirit) on eBay recently.

Condition was pretty poor unfortunately. Still fetched $900+

Went to Japan I think? Never seen it for sale before myself.

Seen quite a few Tyrone Thomas' on Polydor for sale, however.

Bought mine from Butch a couple of years ago @ £250. What a

fantastic track by the way! A big fave of mine.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert