Catholic club

Brickyard - Mexborough Reform Club

Swinton Civic

Majestic

Royal

Boy and Barrel - meeting point for Cleethorpes Nighters / Dayers

And then some after 1985.

A serious contender for 'top 10 soul town'

Of course it was always on behind Conisbrough. Boylans, Welfare (Disc), Conyers, Spinkeys, etc.

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

SMALL LITTLE TOWN IN SOUTH YORKSHIRE HOSTED SOME OF THE BEST DOS EVER IMHO ,ANYONE GOT ANY FOND MEMORIES.MINE IS LISTENING TO ROB MARRIOT PLAY CLEVELAND WILSON -SHOOTING HIGH THREE TIMES IN THE SAME SPOT.

WHO REMEMBERS THE DANCE FLOOR,HAD TO JUMP DOWN TO GET ON IT,GREAT MEMORIES.

BAZ A.

Jesters ?

Malc

Social source share

SMALL LITTLE TOWN IN SOUTH YORKSHIRE HOSTED SOME OF THE BEST DOS EVER IMHO ,ANYONE GOT ANY FOND MEMORIES.MINE IS LISTENING TO ROB MARRIOT PLAY CLEVELAND WILSON -SHOOTING HIGH THREE TIMES IN THE SAME SPOT.

BAZ A.

I was talking to Jo Brock and Mark MTFC about Guy's Soultown nighters in Mexborough a few weeks back, Mexborough never seem to get much of a mention. Rough as a badgers arse outside the venue but brilliant nighters, went to every one but I cannot remember a great deal about the venue itself (sign of a misspent youth combined with old age) other than the fact that the music policy /Dj line up was quality :lol:

One of the first places where Kitch cut his teeth

Social source share

Jesters

Catholic club

Brickyard - Mexborough Reform Club

Swinton Civic

Majestic

Royal

Boy and Barrel - meeting point for Cleethorpes Nighters / Dayers

And then some after 1985.

A serious contender for 'top 10 soul town'

Of course it was always on behind Conisbrough. Boylans, Welfare (Disc), Conyers, Spinkeys, etc.

Ed

Mexborough has always had - and still has - a creditable association with the scene , dating back to the late 60s , when the Civic Hall on Bank Street , held regular monday nights sessions under the title of " Disc

A Go - Go " , helmed by notable local DJ and collector of the day , Gary Cooper .

Mexborough , as listed , has played host to the scene at a variety of venues down the years ( omitted from the list was The Athletic club ) : Currently running in the town are my own scene , The Corner Pocket at The Majestic Suite ( now every three months - next date April 21st ) , and the bank holiday sessions run by Nelly , Yocky and Willy at The Empress .

Whilst we on the subject on South Yorkshire towns , I feel Goldthorpe deserves a mention .... The Welfare Hall played host for many years to regular nights , and The Goldthorpe Hotel , on Doncaster Road , with its' renowned packed Friday night and Monday night sessions in 1973 / 1974 .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I was talking to Jo Brock and Mark MTFC about Guy's Soultown nighters in Mexborough a few weeks back, Mexborough never seem to get much of a mention. Rough as a badgers arse outside the venue but brilliant nighters, went to every one but I cannot remember a great deal about the venue itself (sign of a misspent youth combined with old age) other than the fact that the music policy /Dj line up was quality :lol:

Guy's All - Nighters were held at The Empress : Agreed , a quality venue / promotion .

Outside of the venue is still as rough as a badger's derriere .....

Malc

Social source share

BAZ A.

Yes Baz... fantastic niters for sure!

I'm like Byrney... only things i can remember about the place are you, Gaz Simon and Kev Cane... incredible music... oh.. and Pete Lawson on all fours... but with his knees straight... trying to sneak in without paying...

.... and whoever it was taking the money just sitting there... watching his arse going passed the counter... :lol:

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

used to go to empress ballroom regularly in the 90s fantastic venue,

can remember one February went to support Steve Woomble and the heating went in the car froze our b*****ks off on the way home think it was -3

Social source share

I was talking to Jo Brock and Mark MTFC about Guy's Soultown nighters in Mexborough a few weeks back, Mexborough never seem to get much of a mention. Rough as a badgers arse outside the venue but brilliant nighters, went to every one but I cannot remember a great deal about the venue itself (sign of a misspent youth combined with old age) other than the fact that the music policy /Dj line up was quality :thumbsup:

YES AGREE WITH THAT AND KITCH DEFINETLY CUT HIS TEETH THERE,AND ROUGH OH YES FELT LIKE HOME FROM FROM HOME BEEN FROM THE NORTH EAST LOL.

BAZ A.

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

Yes Baz... fantastic niters for sure!

I'm like Byrney... only things i can remember about the place are you, Gaz Simon and Kev Cane... incredible music... oh.. and Pete Lawson on all fours... but with his knees straight... trying to sneak in without paying...

.... and whoever it was taking the money just sitting there... watching his arse going passed the counter... :thumbsup:

AH GREAT MEMORIES JOAN,WE REMEMBER YOU ALSO AND I ALSO REMEMBER GOING FOR A DRINK IN A LOCAL WITH MICKEY CRUISE AND ITS THE ONLY TIME I HAVE EVER IN MYLIFE BEEN SHIT SCARED OF THE LOCALS,BEEN TO GHETTOS IN AMERICA ETC BUT THIS WAS VERY ROUGH.

REMEMBER MOST DOS THEN HAD BUTCH,KITCH ,DEAN,AND ROB MARRIOT WHO WAS ALWAYS THE STAR OF THE SHOW IN OUR EYES AND GUY OF COURSE,IT WAS DEFINETLY A PETE LAWSON TYPE VENUE HE LOVED THE PLACE,HE FITTED RIGHT IN LOL.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS JOAN,SEE YOU SOON.

BAZ A.

Social source share

YES AGREE WITH THAT AND KITCH DEFINETLY CUT HIS TEETH THERE,AND ROUGH OH YES FELT LIKE HOME FROM FROM HOME BEEN FROM THE NORTH EAST LOL.

BAZ A.

One thing I can remember is getting out of the car with Dean, Guy and Bob the Suit and us all making for the entrance with record boxes etc trying to pretend we wasnt in a war zone as we wandered into a locals free ick off :shades:

No one even noticed us :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Rough as a badgers arse outside the venue but brilliant nighters, went to every one but I cannot remember a great deal about the venue itself other than the fact that the music policy /Dj line up was quality :shades:

You're right about outside! The one night I was there, as we were queuing to get in, the locals were talking about a spate of murders of elderly women in gruesome detail, really depressing. However, once inside- oh joy! Only went that one time, but it was the most enjoyable 'nighter I've ever been to and I'm not exaggerating. Like others, I can't remember many details, it was just the whole package-nice venue, the DJs, the people I was with, other people that I'd previously been a bit wary of coming over for a chat & turning out to be really friendly, even the journey up from London on the train.

I can, however, remember exactly what I was wearing. Vanity thy name is woman. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Never missed one fab venue and great line up.

Remember one morning it was that foggy one of us had to walk in front of the car :wub:

remember catching train back to Sheffield one morning, Joan on same train, she'd just bout Ella Woods for summat like a tenner :rolleyes:

and yep, the locals can be scary :thumbsup: but most pit villages in Yorks and Derbyshire like that :thumbsup:

Guys site when it was up and running had a load of photos on it :P

post-225-1169830592_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Never missed one fab venue and great line up.

Remember one morning it was that foggy one of us had to walk in front of the car :thumbsup:

remember catching train back to Sheffield one morning, Joan on same train, she'd just bout Ella Woods for summat like a tenner :thumbsup:

and yep, the locals can be scary :lol: but most pit villages in Yorks and Derbyshire like that :D

Guys site when it was up and running had a load of photos on it wicked.gif

post-225-1169830592_thumb.jpg

I guess that I am a sort of Mexborough local , as I live 10 minutes away ...... but I am not scary in the least .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Mexborough Soul.

Some would argue that Mexborough is the Heart of Northern Soul in South Yorkshire. Central to Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley.

It is unfortunately the poorest place in the North of England. Down by the Empress Ballrooms and around that area is the posh end. Venture upon to the estates and you would need to be tooled up. Enter any of the pubs and someone would want to take a pop at you, unless you could loose yourself in the crowd. Not easy if you don't have tattooed arms and a flat nose. Best defence is to look angry and hit the first bloke that talks to you. Better still sit in your car and avoid the pubs unless they are full of girls.

With respect to Northern Soul, the lads and Girls in that area never gave up on the music even when it died a death in most other areas. I can't remember there never being a soul night within 10miles of Mexborough on a Weekend. Despite the poverty in that area, you will be struggling to find a better-committed crowd to continuing the interest and development of Northern Soul. Even when things were slack locally there would always be something happening in Conisbrough or on the outskirts of Doncaster.

Glad that you could be part of it.

Heartandsoul

South Yorkshire

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Mexborough has always had - and still has - a creditable association with the scene , dating back to the late 60s , when the Civic Hall on Bank Street , held regular monday nights sessions under the title of " Disc

A Go - Go " , helmed by notable local DJ and collector of the day , Gary Cooper .

Mexborough , as listed , has played host to the scene at a variety of venues down the years ( omitted from the list was The Athletic club ) : Currently running in the town are my own scene , The Corner Pocket at The Majestic Suite ( now every three months - next date April 21st ) , and the bank holiday sessions run by Nelly , Yocky and Willy at The Empress .

Whilst we on the subject on South Yorkshire towns , I feel Goldthorpe deserves a mention .... The Welfare Hall played host for many years to regular nights , and The Goldthorpe Hotel , on Doncaster Road , with its' renowned packed Friday night and Monday night sessions in 1973 / 1974 .

Malc

Hi Malc

Great to see these Venues getting a mention. South Yorkshire has been soulful for years.

Mexborough, Barnsley, Goldthorpe & Doncaster area always has had a strong following & played an Important part :thumbsup:

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Malc

Great to see these Venues getting a mention. South Yorkshire has been soulful for years.

Mexborough, Barnsley, Goldthorpe & Doncaster area always has had a strong following & played an Important part :shades:

With reference to memories relating to Goldthorpe , one of the regular stalwarts and supporters of our Friday and Monday night sessions at The Goldthorpe Hotel , was the local Catholic parish priest , Tony Andrews .

Tony was always there , dressed in his black cassock , propping the bar up , chatting and drinking with everyone in attendance . The music fascinated him ; even more so , the dancing . He never left before closing time , and when he did so , he was usually well on the way .....

We once tried to get him to join us on our minibus to The Mecca , but to no avail ; stating he could not do so because of midnight mass ...... but he once blessed us - and the minibus - one Saturday before we set off from our meeting place in Goldthorpe !

Sadly , Tony is sadly no longer with us , having died several years ago . He was a real character . thumbsup.gif

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Remember going to the Empress. late 8o,s i think, only been there two minutes, and two lads were having a right go outside, after they had kicked the shite out of each other, they both shook hands and jumped in a taxi together. I can remember seeing curly from Notts there, and all the usual suspects from Nottingham. Excellent nighter.

Social source share

Mexborough Soul.

Some would argue that Mexborough is the Heart of Northern Soul in South Yorkshire. Central to Sheffield, Doncaster and Barnsley.

It is unfortunately the poorest place in the North of England. Down by the Empress Ballrooms and around that area is the posh end. Venture upon to the estates and you would need to be tooled up. Enter any of the pubs and someone would want to take a pop at you, unless you could loose yourself in the crowd. Not easy if you don't have tattooed arms and a flat nose. Best defence is to look angry and hit the first bloke that talks to you. Better still sit in your car and avoid the pubs unless they are full of girls.

With respect to Northern Soul, the lads and Girls in that area never gave up on the music even when it died a death in most other areas. I can't remember there never being a soul night within 10miles of Mexborough on a Weekend. Despite the poverty in that area, you will be struggling to find a better-committed crowd to continuing the interest and development of Northern Soul. Even when things were slack locally there would always be something happening in Conisbrough or on the outskirts of Doncaster.

Glad that you could be part of it.

Heartandsoul

South Yorkshire

Congratulations .... the job of cultural secretary and spokesperson for Mexborough is yours .

The first meeting with your constituants will be held in The South Yorkshire pub , 200 yards from The Empress .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi guys, feel I must add my take on Mexborough and to dispel the myths that for me did not exist. I was working in Mexborough with The South Yorkshire Times and were some of the happiest times I spent on the soul scene. I was a regular at Jesters and the Brickyard and those times for me hold a special place in my heart. To say the locals were a bit rough is a gross injustice as coming from Glasgow I was used to some dodgy places. But I will hear none of the comments as regards the people I met when living down there as they made me very welcome and made my stay down there a pleasure. I even had a couple of spots in Jesters at the top of the hill. It was a great venue and the Brickyard was equally just as good for the sounds and the company. And to make things even better it was only round the corner from where I stayed. Spent many a hour in the company of my workmates in The Boy and Barrell. Yes fond memories indeed and ones that I will never forget.

fdsoul6345789

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

BAZ A.

I must admit that Mexborough will go down in history as the hub of Northern Soul in the 70s. In the late sixties every youth club for ten miles around were playing northern or good club soul. This generated hundreds of young soulies wanting more and more soul music. It was not surprising that every dance hall and working men's club opened it's doors to a new friendly crowd just wanting a good night out. Mexborough had no shortage of club space. There were loads of venues with huge dance floors. The Civic on Bank Street used to get packed. Never any trouble in the Civic until the locals found out you could get a pint after pub closing time.

Not surprising that Mexborough, soul nights get packed out every time. Bouncers on the doors keep out the riff raff walking home from the pubs. That helps to give the soul nights the feeling of a private party.

Pity someone has not wrote this all down because it's now an important part of Mexborough's local history.

heartandsoul

Social source share

• 4 months later...
Guest PayneyJnr

Malc

Someone close to me says; "Have you forgotten the Upton TightRope which pre-dates the Goldthorpe venues?".

Social source share

Someone close to me says; "Have you forgotten the Upton TightRope which pre-dates the Goldthorpe venues?".

Yes , I had forgotten about Upton , as I attempt to have selective recall about the place .....

Sincere apologies to all who live there .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

BAZ A.

Some of us lads used to come up from Norwich, mid 80s I think. We also went to similar nighters at Chesterfield (The Winding Wheel) and Mansfield (Swan Hotel) Still got some old tapes of that night with Rob Marriott, Keb, Guy and George Sharp DJing. Yes, great days indeed!!

Mark Chamberlin

Social source share

Another typical Northern venue with a great line up. Yes, Kitch did his first DJ'ing there and I remember him being extremely nervous. I have a scan of various membership cards I've had over the years and Soultown is one of them. I also used to have some B/W photos that I took at Mexborough and recall a really good one of Brad but I think that it's probably at the bottom of a landfill site now seing as my ex-wife never did return all of my 'stuff'. Great days.

Mick Howard

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest northernsoulboy6
markmtfc said:
Remember going to the Empress. late 8o,s i think, only been there two minutes, and two lads were having a right go outside, after they had kicked the shite out of each other, they both shook hands and jumped in a taxi together. I can remember seeing curly from Notts there, and all the usual suspects from Nottingham. Excellent nighter.

Hi whatever happened to Curly??? I have posted a picture of him on Members Albums see link below. Great Bloke

Social source share

I went to a wedding at The Empress last year. Any one know Dean Walker from Wath just down the road. Looked a great place for a nighter Deano was a regular and his sister.

Social source share

Some of us lads used to come up from Norwich, mid 80s I think. We also went to similar nighters at Chesterfield (The Winding Wheel) and Mansfield (Swan Hotel) Still got some old tapes of that night with Rob Marriott, Keb, Guy and George Sharp DJing. Yes, great days indeed!!

Mark Chamberlin

Likewise we used to travel up from Northants fantastic times and toons and people. All these quality people, times and excellent taste in musc. Have to say although the years have passed, the friends I have made and good times I have had I wouldn't swap them for anything. Kimbo.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

:thumbup: Mexborough The Home of Northern Soul (Without a Doubt) :thumbup:

I remember the fantastic times I used to have at the Disco Go Go in the 60Ts where I was first introduced to the Soul scene also The Attic in Doncanster, Bin Lid Dewsbury, Sharades Rotherham etc. I used to do the warm up spot at the Miners Arms if any one remembers. Gary Cooper used to measure us for our suits at Burtons I think!.

With regards to all you Soulies in Mexborough

Jok Evans (from Wath originaly First Issue) :thumbup:

PS is Harry Dews still open ?

Social source share

:thumbup: Mexborough The Home of Northern Soul (Without a Doubt) :thumbup:

I remember the fantastic times I used to have at the Disco Go Go in the 60Ts where I was first introduced to the Soul scene also The Attic in Doncanster, Bin Lid Dewsbury, Sharades Rotherham etc. I used to do the warm up spot at the Miners Arms if any one remembers. Gary Cooper used to measure us for our suits at Burtons I think!.

With regards to all you Soulies in Mexborough

Jok Evans (from Wath originaly First Issue) :thumbup:

PS is Harry Dews still open ?

Gary Cooper did indeed work - well he went at least - at / for the stated tailoring establishment , Burtons : his expertise with a brass ended tape measure and an inside leg , is legendary in these parts . Gary and I are relatives ..........

I was a regular like yourself , at Mexborough Civic Hall for the " Disc A Go Go " sessions , and I have wanted to do a one - off " Disc A Go Go " revival night for a long time , as the place is still fondly remembered by us - as you term it

" first issues " ( see below ) : but I have always failed in my attempts to persude Gary to DJ again for such an event - as you know , Gary had one of the best collections in the area at the time when he was the DJ for the sessions - but he has no interest in doing so .........

I live locally to Mexborough ( in Barnburgh ) , and there are still a lot of the DAGG faces around who live in the locality to Mexborough , such as Ian Brice , Merv Kelly , my great mate Duncan Hampshire and Roy Wooding . I am married to Susan Huntington , who was friends with ( and still is ) and " knocked around " with Liz Hatfield , Julia Beaumont ( now sadly passed on ) and Marie Steele , who were regulars at the DAGG .........

The Civic Hall is still there , and is used for functions , and looks the same inside as it was back in the days of the DAGG ( I do not think it has seen a lick of paint since it was built ) , but Harry's is long gone I am afraid .........

It was always alleged - but never proven - that Harry " encouraged " the break ins of / to his dispensary , in order to claim off the insurance :yes: ..........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely have wonderful memories of the Mexborough nighters.

As with quite a few nighters recorded the night on 18th June 1988, with the dee-jay line-up of Pat Brady, Butch, Guy Hennigan, Rob Marriott, Kitch and then finish with Guy.

I agree with an earlier comment - Rob, the scene just ain't the same without you!

I will upload this at some point.

Mark (Gloucester)

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Definitely have wonderful memories of the Mexborough nighters.

As with quite a few nighters recorded the night on 18th June 1988, with the dee-jay line-up of Pat Brady, Butch, Guy Hennigan, Rob Marriott, Kitch and then finish with Guy.

I agree with an earlier comment - Rob, the scene just ain't the same without you!

I will upload this at some point.

Mark (Gloucester)

Hi Mark,

was talking about mexborough last night remembering old times as you do. Think this may have been one of the last places I saw you before you stopped going. Ddi you ever get round to uploading the tape, would love to hear it?

Can anyone remember Guy's site, his northern friends reunited type site? Someone put a load of photos on there from the likes of Mexborough and other venues of the time, anyone know who it was who had them?

Social source share

me, our bri & steve mank ran a monthly do thruout 1994 at the royal electric theatre. initially very sucessful but again we had trouble with finishing times ( they wanted us out for midnight) so after the november one we knocked it on the head. also had a go at running the empress in the90`s with varying degrees of sucess

dave

Social source share

Used to go to brickyard when Pete Blinkho was running it,

Empress,

Civic,

Lord conyers, conisbro

Also, Adeles in denaby, this was the old Northcliffe WMC, converted into nightclub/funpub, soul night every wednesday with Bub and myself,

attendance wasn't tops with it been wed night, but top sounds and atmosphere for those who turned upthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Used to go to brickyard when Pete Blinkho was running it,

Empress,

Civic,

Lord conyers, conisbro

Also, Adeles in denaby, this was the old Northcliffe WMC, converted into nightclub/funpub, soul night every wednesday with Bub and myself,

attendance wasn't tops with it been wed night, but top sounds and atmosphere for those who turned upthumbsup.gif

You will remember well that night when Jimmy Ruffin was on .

I seem to recall 10 of us at the most .

I often smile when I pass the site .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

You will remember well that night when Jimmy Ruffin was on .

I seem to recall 10 of us at the most .

I often smile when I pass the site .

Malc Burton

I was DJing Malc, site now turned into flats, that's the norm I think, or car parksyes.gif

Social source share

I was DJing Malc, site now turned into flats, that's the norm I think, or car parksyes.gif

I liked Adele's Tony , and thought it was a decent venue . Given the " pulling power " the area , I thought it would have succeeded .

Was it lack of numbers that ended it ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

I liked Adele's Tony , and thought it was a decent venue . Given the " pulling power " the area , I thought it would have succeeded .

Was it lack of numbers that ended it ?

Malc Burton

If you remember it hit hard times during the miners strike, with this and some trouble every weekend it was open late, (aggro)

Do you remember Detroit emeralds, Tommy Hunt, Real Thing Been on there as well ?

Dave Berry, Mungo Jerry, Ken Dodd, paper Lace, Chuff**g hell,

Bub was glad he didn't have to work these nightslaugh.gif What a guy, RIP.hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

If you remember it hit hard times during the miners strike, with this and some trouble every weekend it was open late, (aggro)

Do you remember Detroit emeralds, Tommy Hunt, Real Thing Been on there as well ?

Dave Berry, Mungo Jerry, Ken Dodd, paper Lace, Chuff**g hell,

Bub was glad he didn't have to work these nightslaugh.gif What a guy, RIP.hatsoff2.gif

The trouble usually erupted when the " revellers " from The Drum and The Pig called in after those two hostelries closed . As you know Tony , that stretch of road was called Suicide Alley because of the notoriety of The Drum and The Pig .

I think the RT attracted the most crowd , due mainly to people who went knew their chart stuff . I thought the DE were good but deserved a better crowd , and I missed seeing TH .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest MickD

Malc

Gary Cooper - did he work at Burtons in Mexborough, measuring and selling the made to measure suits? My memory tells me he married Sue Naylor. The tall slim 'big beak nosed' (apoligies) manager, whose name evades me was always both amicable and reasonable in reciept of cockey instruction laughing at but delivering the ask for a fifteen and a half inch centre vent on the jacket, all seams raised and sewn in creases, sham buttons. parralell strides with a half inch extra on the knee downwards to maintain it so. And 'Tony the Taylor'! Give it up Malc your memory in detail is much more better than mine. These were very heady fashionable times indeed!

The Goldthorpe Hotel was smack bang in the middle of a mining town, my town and the sounds were belted out and gave many, myself as a thirsty 15 year old included wider launch into the scene - unforgetable!

Social source share

Gary Cooper - did he work at Burtons in Mexborough, measuring and selling the made to measure suits? My memory tells me he married Sue Naylor. The tall slim 'big beak nosed' (apoligies) manager, whose name evades me was always both amicable and reasonable in reciept of cockey instruction laughing at but delivering the ask for a fifteen and a half inch centre vent on the jacket, all seams raised and sewn in creases, sham buttons. parralell strides with a half inch extra on the knee downwards to maintain it so. And 'Tony the Taylor'! Give it up Malc your memory in detail is much more better than mine. These were very heady fashionable times indeed!

The Goldthorpe Hotell was smack bang in the middle of a mining town, my town and the sounds were belted out and gave many, myself as a thirsty 15 year old included wider launch into the scene - unforgetable!

I will reply more in depth about Gary Cooper later , but in / with reference to memories relating to Goldthorpe , one of the regular stalwarts and supporters of the Friday and Monday night sessions at The Goldthorpe Hotel , was the local Catholic parish priest , Tony Andrews .

Tony was always there , dressed in his black cassock , propping the bar up , chatting and drinking ( and drinking and drinking ) with everyone in attendance . The music fascinated him ; even more so , the dancing . He never left before closing time , and when he did so , he was usually well on the way .....

We once tried to get him to join us on our minibus to The Mecca , but to no avail ; stating he could not do so because of midnight mass ...... but he once blessed us - and the minibus - one Saturday before we set off from our meeting place in Goldthorpe !

Sadly , Tony is sadly no longer with us , having died several years ago . He was a real character .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I will reply more in depth about Gary Cooper later , but in / with reference to memories relating to Goldthorpe , one of the regular stalwarts and supporters of the Friday and Monday night sessions at The Goldthorpe Hotel , was the local Catholic parish priest , Tony Andrews .

Tony was always there , dressed in his black cassock , propping the bar up , chatting and drinking ( and drinking and drinking ) with everyone in attendance . The music fascinated him ; even more so , the dancing . He never left before closing time , and when he did so , he was usually well on the way .....

Sadly , Tony is sadly no longer with us , having died several years ago . He was a real character .

Hey up Malc, was it him with the Percy Sledge album laugh.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Hey up Malc, was it him with the Percy Sledge album laugh.gif

That is the one Dave - the one with " When A Man Loves A Good Nun " :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Social source share

The Goldthorpe Hotel was smack bang in the middle of a mining town, my town and the sounds were belted out and gave many, myself as a thirsty 15 year old included wider launch into the scene - unforgetable!

Hi Mick .....

The " beak bosed " manager at Mexborough Burton's was David Coxon , the brother of Tony , aka Tony The Tailor . David left Burton's when he and Tony set up the TTT shops in Goldthorpe and Mexborough .

Gary Cooper's prowess at Burton's with a metal ended tape measure and an inside leg was legendary :thumbsup: .

Malc Burton

Social source share

I remember pulling up opposite the venue and there was this kick-off going on between some locals,we waited a little until we thought it had calmed down.As we got close to the door a guy was shouting at the top of his voice "come on you fuckers i love it"what was bizzar this guy was covered in blood,i think he had been hit over the head with a bat,i was thinking maybe its time you went home,youve had your share for tonight.

Social source share

I remember pulling up opposite the venue and there was this kick-off going on between some locals,we waited a little until we thought it had calmed down.As we got close to the door a guy was shouting at the top of his voice "come on you fuckers i love it"what was bizzar this guy was covered in blood,i think he had been hit over the head with a bat,i was thinking maybe its time you went home,youve had your share for tonight.

Which venue ?????????????

a few mentioned on this thread ???laugh.gif

Social source share

Which venue ?????????????

a few mentioned on this thread ???laugh.gif

When i was running The Corner Pocket several years ago , I pulled up one Saturday night to go in and set up ( 7 PM ) , to find two heavily wazzed up youths engaged in kicking / punching seven colours of sh*t out of each other in the doorway .

As i cautiously approached , they stopped and apologised to me , allowing me to pass ........ as soon as I had done so , they started again :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!