Scene Or Soul ?

Russ Vickers

If you had to make the choice between never attending another AllNighter or Soul Night again but you could have any original soul records that you wanted for your collection to listen to alone in your own home, what would you do.................whilst I love the music, a lot of the enjoyment is sharing it with other like minded people & showing our appreciation thru dance, in great atmospheric venues, so whilst I think it would be an extremely difficult choice to make I would have to vote scene.

Wadayathink.............home alone with all that vinyl or out enjoying it at great venues with like minded folk ???.

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

If you had to make the choice between never attending another AllNighter or Soul Night again but you could have any original soul records that you wanted for your collection to listen to alone in your own home, what would you do.................whilst I love the music, a lot of the enjoyment is sharing it with other like minded people & showing our appreciation thru dance, in great atmospheric venues, so whilst I think it would be an extremely difficult choice to make I would have to vote scene.

Wadayathink.............home alone with all that vinyl or out enjoying it at great venues with like minded folk ???.

Russ

No contest

Bazza

Social source share

You could have the most wonderful record in the world......but what a tradgedy to have no one to say to.......... "Oh God wait till you hear this"

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...I absolutely love going out to do's, but given this ultimatum I'm afraid that staying at home with Helen, the little' un and a great stack of impossibly rare vinyl would win everytime.

Surprised to see that I'm the first to favour this, actually...

TONE

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Russ

Waddaithink!

I would give up all the records i have just to keep going to soul nights.

Steve J

Social source share

...I absolutely love going out to do's, but given this ultimatum I'm afraid that staying at home with Helen, the little' un and a great stack of impossibly rare vinyl would win everytime.

Surprised to see that I'm the first to favour this, actually...

TONE

I would do exactly the same as Tony but with my partner and baby. Although...anyway, no contest, vinyl please

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'll stick with what i've got thanks. A great wife, two great kids, niters and soul nights at least once a month and a moderately decent collection of vinyl (i think).

The perfect combination.

Half the enjoyment of collecting is trying to buy decent stuff on a limited budget. I wouldn't want to suddenly wake up with a spare room full of vinyl and never go out again. Where's the fun in that?

Social source share

Russ

What a question. Would give the vinyl up no contest. In my opinion you cant beat the buzz of a nighter. I dont play my tunes during the week anyway only of a weekend when i,m getting ready to go out or when i get home with a new one in the morning but would still give them up.

Steve

Social source share

Pipe slippers cocoa,and a stack of vinyl

not bloody likely,ya can have ya vinyl

Bazza

Oh and a cardigan

Slippers & Cardigan not required (I have underfloor heating)... but you can't beat a pipe full o' Bacca and a nice mug o' Cocoa while you're listening to a Spencer Wiggins or a Gwen McCrae (in your Rockin Chair).

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think the question is confusing. The title says 'scene or soul?' well soul obviously, but the question in the post is 'scene or massive collection?'

So the choice isn't between the music and the scene, it's between a massive collection of vinyl and the scene. You choose the scene you get to keep the music as well. You choose vinyl you've just got a massive pile of plastic discs gathering dust in a spare room that you can't play to your friends or share with anyone. Those of us choosing scene win both ways.

I'll keep the scene and the music thanks :yes:

What do you love more, vinyl or soul?

You choose vinyl with no scene and you may as well have a collection of CDs... :wicked:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

my honest opinion is a combination of the two , without the scene i would have nowhere to play the tunes out , and with that in mind without the scene i'd give up the vinyl as well and get them on another format

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

my honest opinion is a combination of the two , without the scene i would have nowhere to play the tunes out , and with that in mind without the scene i'd give up the vinyl as well and get them on another format

Nail, hit, head :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Vinyl, loved it all my life, will always love it, don't need the scene one little bit thanks, but sod CD's

I prefer vinyl to CDs too, but i don't love the format more than the music. If i could never dance again on a real dancefloor to old and new tunes surrounded by other soulies all loving the music i'd give the vinyl up in a second and buy CDs.

Social source share

I prefer vinyl to CDs too, but i don't love the format more than the music. If i could never dance again on a real dancefloor to old and new tunes surrounded by other soulies all loving the music i'd give the vinyl up in a second and buy CDs.

I do. I haven't danced at a venue for 3 years, I wouldn't care if I never went to a northern soul event again, ever. Honestly. Just give me records, I had a great time as a regular on the scene but by the time I was 21, that was enough, I'm now 46 and sorry but I've got Litle Sam now, that's all I need. Well him and the records.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I do. I haven't danced at a venue for 3 years, I wouldn't care if I never went to a northern soul event again, ever. Honestly. Just give me records, I had a great time as a regular on the scene but by the time I was 21, that was enough, I'm now 46 and sorry but I've got Litle Sam now, that's all I need. Well him and the records.

Good luck to you Pete :wicked: . I've got two little boys as well and like you i wouldn't give them up for anything (even a maple sprung dancefloor). I'm 41 but i still feel the need to get on the floor, always have. Each to his own.

Social source share

Guest soul kitten

I'll keep the scene and the music thanks :(

What do you love more, vinyl or soul?

You choose vinyl with no scene and you may as well have a collection of CDs... :wicked:

Social source share

Home (but not alone) with the vinyl.

I agree Steve. Have a nice soul night in with some likeminded mates listening to the vinyl, perhaps the odd vinyl carvers or cd track thrown in for discussion purposes. :wicked: Not that it ever need happen. So long as Dj's make sure they play a few unknowns or new discoveries or underplayed tunes then it will be alright for me on the scene. Bollocks to the moaners who only want to hear 100% tunes they know already, there'd not be a scene at all if DJ's hadn't introduced unknown tracks into their sets whether it was at Wigan, Cleethorpes, Torch, Twisted Wheel etc etc. Certain people would always stop dancing, but those same people would be dancing to them a few weeks later if the records were good.

Jordi

Social source share

Half the enjoyment of collecting is trying to buy decent stuff on a limited budget. I wouldn't want to suddenly wake up with a spare room full of vinyl and never go out again. Where's the fun in that?

The funny thing about suddenly waking up at your dream's record room would be... suddenly waking up at your dream's record room :wicked:

I'd go for the vynil a 100 times. As I've said before, here in Mexico there's no scene, so in my case soul-source is the closest thing I get to a proper "scene".

So I'd rather spend all my life playing records ALONE in my house than speaking to other people about them

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

Good thread. :wicked:

I hear this music, I wanna dance. To not be able to dance to it? Way to inhibitive, at this stage anyway. Got to be scene. S#it I'm only forty, I'll sit at home with a stacka' vinyl when Im old and can't dance no more. :yes:

Shake it till you can't no more! :(

Social source share

Russ

yes totaly agree with you m8 :wicked: so when are we gonna see you out and about at a soul do then :yes:

Social source share

yes totaly agree with you m8 :wicked: so when are we gonna see you out and about at a soul do then :yes:

Hey Johnny

I fly back to blighty on Thursday 23 August, I figure that I'll have to do a bit of sorting out & settling in, sooooooooooo see ya on the Friday some where :(:lol: .

Hope your well my friend & I'll be seeing ya real soon.

Russ

Social source share

Hey Johnny

I fly back to blighty on Thursday 23 August, I figure that I'll have to do a bit of sorting out & settling in, sooooooooooo see ya on the Friday some where :wicked::yes: .

Hope your well my friend & I'll be seeing ya real soon.

Russ

Where you going to be based in the uk Russ?

Derek

Social source share

Where you going to be based in the uk Russ?

Derek

Back in Fareham mate, renting our gaff right now, but we'll be moving back in there Aug, not sure what ship Ill be joining, but hopefully Pompey based.............also thinking of calling it a day too with the Navy lark, so if any one has a job offer :wicked::yes: .

Looking forward to seeing ya Derek.

Russ

Social source share

Back in Fareham mate, renting our gaff right now, but we'll be moving back in there Aug, not sure what ship Ill be joining, but hopefully Pompey based.............also thinking of calling it a day too with the Navy lark, so if any one has a job offer :wicked::( .

Looking forward to seeing ya Derek.

Russ

Look forward to it ............got a feeling things won't be quite so peaceful on the south coast from august. :yes:

Derek

Social source share

records every day of the week. i go out to soul dos three or four times a year these days and often end up wondering why i bothered (the last good one i went to was one of little stevie's in manchester 18 months ago). the sound system's always too loud and too distorted, the music is often predictable, obvious or dull (i know there are lots of places i don't go to where this doesn't apply), you can't have a drink if you're driving, half the people look like rejects from a wigan reunion movie, and while i quite liked being surrounded by people 10-20 years older than me when i was 16, now i find it slightly disturbing.

the thrill of a small cardboard packet with a record in it dropping through the letterbox hasn't changed, though - in fact, as the choices have narrowed and the records have got harder, it's increased.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

records every day of the week. i go out to soul dos three or four times a year these days and often end up wondering why i bothered (the last good one i went to was one of little stevie's in manchester 18 months ago). the sound system's always too loud and too distorted, the music is often predictable, obvious or dull (i know there are lots of places i don't go to where this doesn't apply), you can't have a drink if you're driving, half the people look like rejects from a wigan reunion movie, and while i quite liked being surrounded by people 10-20 years older than me when i was 16, now i find it slightly disturbing.

the thrill of a small cardboard packet with a record in it dropping through the letterbox hasn't changed, though - in fact, as the choices have narrowed and the records have got harder, it's increased.

Although i've put myself in the scene rather than vinyl (not soul btw) camp, i do agree with most of what you say Dan.

I try to go out at least once a month, since December i've succeeded, and to a niter. I think, like you say, the key is being selective. If i only ever went to Stoke i would pretty quickly give it all up but my last three (The Marrs Bar, Junction 11 and Rugby) were all excellent across the board niters at which i heard plenty of new stuff, then went home and tried to buy it. At the end of the day i love dancing and i suppose this thread will be divided between the dancers and the non-dancers maybe.

Remember though if you had all the vinyl you wanted, as Russ suggests, that thrill of delivery would also disappear. Unless you posted them to yourself to keep up the excitement of course... :thumbsup:

I agree about the thrill of a delivery though, Oliver Norman - Drowning In My Own Despair just landed on the doormat (well actually my three year old pulled in out of the letterbox and i had to fight him for it). Excellent stuff. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

The scene and dancefloor every time....The records are nice to have but nothing beats dancing in the wee hours with like minded people...If my legs give way then i would stop i think...Would not want to be one of the people sat down all night,that would kill me....

Dance Dance Dance :thumbsup:...

No kids..No rocking chair..No slippers...well not yet :thumbsup: ...

Social source share

The scene and dancefloor every time....The records are nice to have but nothing beats dancing in the wee hours with like minded people...If my legs give way then i would stop i think...Would not want to be one of the people sat down all night,that would kill me....

Dance Dance Dance :thumbsup:...

No kids..No rocking chair..No slippers...well not yet :thumbsup: ...

I agree Stevie,not ready for the pine box yet,dont get on the floor as much as I used to ,but when that record comes on ,I absolutley love it on the floor

Bazza

Social source share

IF THERE WEREN`T ANY SOUL RECORDS THERE WOULD BE NO SOUL SCENE !

BUT WHERE CAN YOU GO TO HEAR THE BEST SELECTION OF SOUL RECORDS YOUR LIKELY TO HEAR IN ONE ROOM IN ONE NIGHT ?

THAT`S RIGHT IN YOUR OWN HOME.

HOWEVER I STILL GO OUT JUST TO CONFIRM I`M RIGHT ABOUT STAYING IN.

ALL THE BEST

KJE.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

BUT WHERE CAN YOU GO TO HEAR THE BEST SELECTION OF SOUL RECORDS YOUR LIKELY TO HEAR IN ONE ROOM IN ONE NIGHT ?

THAT`S RIGHT IN YOUR OWN HOME.

HOWEVER I STILL GO OUT JUST TO CONFIRM I`M RIGHT ABOUT STAYING IN.

ALL THE BEST

KJE.

So you just stay in and listen to CDs?

Unless you have an amzing collection the only way you'll hear the best selection on original vinyl is to go out and listen to DJs with great collections like Mick H., Butch, Andy Dyson, Cliff Steele etc....

You go out to prove you're right about staying in? Where do you go that proves that?

I tell you what, just stay in.. do us all a favour. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Intersesting theard this,been every other week for me with very few breaks since 1978,the scene wins every time .However theres something very sobering about the thought of moving into my mid fifeties and having all those great memories and nice records to play without going anywhere.That is another 10 years or so untill then there is still some tearing up the road to do. :thumbsup:

BAZ A.

Social source share

So you just stay in and listen to CDs?

Unless you have an amzing collection the only way you'll hear the best selection on original vinyl is to go out and listen to DJs with great collections like Mick H., Butch, Andy Dyson, Cliff Steele etc....

You go out to prove you're right about staying in? Where do you go that proves that?

I tell you what, just stay in.. do us all a favour. :thumbsup:

HI MATT CALM DOWN I WAS POSTING MY COMMENT WITH A BIT OF MY TONGUE IN MY CHEEK.

ALL THE BEST - KJE.

PS THERE`S TWO A`S IN AMAZING !

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I WAS POSTING MY COMMENT WITH A BIT OF MY TONGUE IN MY CHEEK.

ALL THE BEST - KJE.

PS THERE`S TWO A`S IN AMAZING !

Hey no problem i was only kidding too :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert