Cinema - Film / Movie Talk

Mike

on Netflix this week

Coming on Wednesday

Boiling Point

Emotional • Drama • Food • Workplace

Burdened by personal problems, a testy head chef must keep his cool amid multiple crises during a hectic Christmastime service at his upscale restaurant.

Have to say that I really enjoyed this, one of the few that will watch again, recommended!

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mike said:

on Netflix this week

Coming on Wednesday

Boiling Point

Emotional • Drama • Food • Workplace

Burdened by personal problems, a testy head chef must keep his cool amid multiple crises during a hectic Christmastime service at his upscale restaurant.

Have to say that I really enjoyed this, one of the few that will watch again, recommended!

Great stuff, but then again have you ever seen any crap scenes with Steve Graham in them? 9/10

Social source share

Dog (2022) Two former Army Rangers are paired against their will on the road trip of a lifetime. Briggs (Channing Tatum) and Lulu (a Belgian Malinois) race down the Pacific Coast to get to a fellow soldier's funeral on time. Exactly what you’d expect, but better. Predictable, yes, but good fun 7/10

Moon Crash (2022) A global steel company is working with an aerospace partner to extract lunar material. When a drilling accident causes a giant piece of the moon to break off, it goes on a collision course with Earth. So bad it’s …….bad. They must have nearly spent $10 on production However, you might watch it all out of disbelief. 2/10 (not the Moon Fall film also released this year too)

A Violent Man (2022) Steve Mackleson is a dangerous prisoner, incarcerated for double murder in a maximum security prison. We follow, as he navigates his struggle against redemption the system and his inner turmoil, when a young black gang member becomes his unlikely new cell mate and a daughter he has never met, finally requests to meet her estranged father. Face to face. I think it was made in 2020, but covid etc. I thought it was gonna be more ‘Foot-Soldier’ dross, but wasn't too bad. 6/10

The King’s Daughter King Louis XIV's quest for immortality leads him to capture and steal a mermaid's life force, a move that is further complicated by his illegitimate daughter's discovery of the creature. Made in 2014, but only just released. I couldn’t make head nor tail of it 4/10

Ali & Ava.  ALI and AVA, both lonely for different reasons, meet and sparks fly. Over a lunar month a deep connection begins to grow, despite the legacy of AVA's past relationship, and ALI's emotional turmoil at the breakdown of his marriage.  Loved it 9/10

Shane (2022) This will present an intimate portrayal of Warne, the retired Australian cricketer and larger-than-life character whose reputation on and off the green pitch saw his fame transcend cricket. More of a documentary, made early this year. Brash, arrogant, troubled genius etc, but when you’re that good. Non-cricket followers might find it interesting too. RIP Shane.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

A recent 'don't bother' from me be a Netflix one - Windfall

It's very similar to a quite a few other Netflix made films, almost feels like all involved are just going through the motions

any other 'don't bothers' out there?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Mike said:

A recent 'don't bother' from me be a Netflix one - Windfall

It's very similar to a quite a few other Netflix made films, almost feels like all involved are just going through the motions

any other 'don't bothers' out there?

I won’t comment as obviously everyone’s tastes are different, but you canhave a look here - https://www.imdb.com/

X (2022)

Death On The Nile (2022)

Licorice Pizza (2021)

House of Gucci (2021)

Miracle in Motor City (2021)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)

Lapwing (2021)

Watch these instead:

Old Henry (2021) western

Even Mice Belong in Heaven (2021) animated

Petite Maman (2021) French, but watch even if you don't like subtitle

Social source share

The last 2 films I've watched are both on the Disney plus channel but definitely not children's films.

1, Nightmare Alley, the latest film from Guillermo Del Toro and he's back to his best.

2, Fresh, This film is slightly uncomfortable. it's a film about cannibalism but it's done really well (or should that be well done) 

Social source share

• 4 months later...

"Top Gun : Maverick"   

Please don't waste any of your hard-earned on going to see or streaming this ... It's truly dreadful ...  🤬

If you still feel the need to endure it then watch it online on a free site ... :shhh:

I won't go all Mark Kermode on it , just don't say you weren't warned ... :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 19/08/2022 at 15:23, Woodbutcher said:

Please don't waste any of your hard-earned on going to see or streaming this ... It's truly dreadful ...  🤬

If you still feel the need to endure it then watch it online on a free site ... :shhh:

I won't go all Mark Kermode on it , just don't say you weren't warned ... :thumbsup:

What?!!!

I think it’s fantastic & so does everyone I have spoke to about it, men included, but mainly women 🤣

I also think it MUST be seen on the big screen due to the fighter jet scenes.

It’s not often a second movie is better than the first, but other than it not having Kelly McGillis in Maverick (that’s another discussion 😡) , I would say it’s better than Top Gun.

God I loved it 😍 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 21/08/2022 at 13:44, Daved said:

Has anyone seen Elvis yet? I'm really looking forward to see Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker in it.

I saw the trailer for it while watching “Maverick” 😍 & did think it looked tosh but I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews about it 👍🏼

Social source share

4 hours ago, Alison H said:

What?!!!

I think it’s fantastic & so does everyone I have spoke to about it, men included, but mainly women 🤣

I also think it MUST be seen on the big screen due to the fighter jet scenes.

It’s not often a second movie is better than the first, but other than it not having Kelly McGillis in Maverick (that’s another discussion 😡) , I would say it’s better than Top Gun.

God I loved it 😍 

Each to their own I guess Alison.

I stick with my original opinion , I guess some of us aren't as easily blinded as others by today's emphasis on dyed hair , perfect teeth and CGI as sleight of hand used to try and disguise a badly written , badly acted rehash of the original movie , that even regurgitates the cheesy one liners that were dotted through the first one and fun one time.

Just wringing every last drop of cash out of an idea to line TC's pockets is not something I'm impressed with hence why I'd never pay to see it . "Emperor's New Clothes" and all that.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Well 2023 is here, before we get on talking about all the current years films, have we any nominations for the 'top' or 'worthwhile' films of 2022 as such

eg a late highlight of 2022 kick?

Some thoughts from myself

The Banshees of Inisherin - film of the year, most enjoyable

Troll - Netflix, Enjoyable Godzilla type antics 

Top Gun - More enjoyable than thought it be, never seen/saw the first

Glass Onion - Nope, simply did not enjoy

your 2022 film takes...

Social source share

I did enjoy The Banshees of Inisherin - a most unexpected film and the movie highlight of the year without a doubt.

Glass Onion - southern fried ham served with endless cheesey cheese.

Mrs Harris goes to Paris was enjoyable although entirely predictable.

The Colour Room (the Clarice Cliff biopic) was also memorable, albeit that it came out in 2021 but I only watched it in 2022.

Can't recall other films from 2022, so am looking at a couple of lists of best films of 2022.

Triangle of Sadness - terribly overrated.

Aftersun - jeez, what was the point of that?

Onoda: 10,000 Nights in the Jungle - enjoyed, but I didn't really get a true sense of just how long he'd spent in the jungle, nor what he actually did with his time.

All Quiet on the Western Front - quite gripping, but lacked something I can't quite put my finger on.

The Northman - Vikings-style copycat that just didn't cut the proverbial mustard.

Prey - oh, please. Franchise hits the end of the line.

Social source share

I saw I Wanna Dance With Somebody last night and was very pleasantly surprised. It was more of tribute to Whitney Houston and focussed more on the music rather than the drugs, etc. The songs were great, especially the early stuff and the covers before she got a record deal. The background soundtrack includes some great songs from Stevie, Chaka and Luther. I saw that Rodney Jerkins was the man responsible in the opening credits so I knew it'd be good. It also featured a brief cameo of an actress playing Anita Baker. Superb performance from Stanley Tucci too as Clive Davis. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 07/01/2023 at 11:56, Daved said:

I saw I Wanna Dance With Somebody last night and was very pleasantly surprised. It was more of tribute to Whitney Houston and focussed more on the music rather than the drugs, etc. The songs were great, especially the early stuff and the covers before she got a record deal. The background soundtrack includes some great songs from Stevie, Chaka and Luther. I saw that Rodney Jerkins was the man responsible in the opening credits so I knew it'd be good. It also featured a brief cameo of an actress playing Anita Baker. Superb performance from Stanley Tucci too as Clive Davis. 

The reviews I've listened to say the film is pretty disappointing and is just a plug for a greatest hits album that will surely follow, I will still watch mind.  There is an unreleased track or two on spotify of Whitney's since the film came out.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 19/08/2022 at 15:23, Woodbutcher said:

I wouldn't say it was dreadful and Mark Kermode actually sort of enjoyed it.  It is by no means a classic but it was enjoyable even if it is basically a remake of the first with a few added bits.  The action scenes are great.

On 21/08/2022 at 13:44, Daved said:

Has anyone seen Elvis yet? I'm really looking forward to see Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker in it.

I thought it was great, watched it three times now...or is it four?

Social source share

A man of action (Netflix 2022) is definitely worth a punt. It's a French/Spanish film loosely based on the real-life exploits of Lucio Urtubia (never heard of him before the film), a bank robbing anarchist and counterfeiter who gave most of the money he appropriated to political groups and the needy and pulled one over on the French Police and one of the biggest banks in the world.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12703292/

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Most-nominated films at the #Oscars:

"Everything Everywhere All at Once" - 11

"All Quiet on the Western Front" - 9

"The Banshees of Inisherin" - 9

"Elvis" - 8

"The Fabelmans" - 7

"Tár" - 6

"Top Gun: Maverick" - 6

"Black Panther: Wakanda Forever" - 5

Social source share

For those who like 'foreign' cinema (ie, not English language and with subtitles), I can say that 'Le temps des secrets' (A time of secrets) is well worth a watch. I saw it this evening.

This is a remake of the marvellous 1990 film 'Le chateau de ma mere', which followed the equally glorious 'My father's glory'.

Both stories are about a young boy growing up and coming of age in the backdrop of the wonderful landscapes of isolated Provence (pre-WWI), where his family go for several weeks each summer.

Marcel Pagnol's books also gave us the classic films 'Jean de Floret' and 'Manon des sources'. You'll surely know them.

Not sure why a remake of the wonderful 'Le chateau de ma mere' was considered worthy, but it stands up as a lovely and heart-warming  film in its own right. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon - or any situation where you feel the duvet is the best place to be.

Sceptical about a remake at first, I enjoyed it. I'll give it 7.5 out of 10.

Trailer (in French only ) here:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I watched a French film from 2019 last night called "Le meilleur reste à venir" (The best is yet to come).

Imagine my surprise when the opening theme started up and it was Little Willie John "I'm shaking'"!

The film's plot centres on a misunderstanding, one that could be cleared up very easily but doesn't and as a result scenarios play out that go from bad to worse. In this case the misunderstanding is a diagnosis of terminal cancer. There's no misunderstanding about the cancer, but who has it.

In what is essentially a buddy movie, we have two middle-aged guys - one is a free spirit and the other is an uptight doctor. When the free-spirited one has an accident, he goes to see his doctor chum who takes him to A&E. 

But wait, Mr Free Spirit doesn't have his medical card with him so borrows his mate's card. The guy gets x-rayed, is treated and sent home. Next day the hospital phones up the doctor chum saying they need to speak to him urgently. His x-ray shows terminal lung cancer.

Except, of course, it's not him who has the cancer, it's his free-spirited mate. For various reasons the doctor friend can't tell his mate he has just six months to live. Mr Free Spirit, thinking his mate has cancer, encourages him to live what's left of his life to the full.

It doesn't sound like the subject of a comedy, and I'm not someone who enjoys plots that spin entirely on the contrivance of a misunderstanding that could have cleared up easily. But, no misunderstanding, no film.

In the end the film turned out to be both heart-warming and stuffed full of the sentimentality that the French seem to love. It was worth watching.

Russ rating = 6.5/10.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9284430/

• Up vote 1
Social source share

At the cinema Empire of light really enjoyed this really good well worth a watch. Last week the fablemans expected this to be rubbish but it is really good spielbergs sort of early life biopic. Tomorrow going to watch the Whale starting Brendan Fraser I expect this to be quite harrowing.

Watched Wakanda forever last night found it very poor compared to black panther.

Edited by Mark B
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/02/2023 at 16:00, Mark B said:

Last week the fablemans expected this to be rubbish but it is really good spielbergs sort of early life biopic.

I watched it a few days ago and found it to be really rather dull. And it's way too long – some scenes seemed to be very laboured and just dragged on. Not Spielberg's best by a long, long way.

Social source share

On 26/02/2023 at 14:35, Mark B said:

This week women talking some real good acting and quite a thought provoking story.

The other week ant man and the wasp quantumania, usual marvel type film

Seen it yesterday. Very good film, beautifully filmed. sad but brave story. Going to see it again this week.

Also, important one to catch if one hasn't seen TILL yet, it's brilliant. Well worth a screening if you can find it in your local cinema. Till is a profoundly emotional and cinematic film about the true story of young black boy who was lynched after being accused of making a racist comment about a white woman. Based on the true story of Mamie Till-Bradley, an educator and activist who pursued justice after the murder of her 14-year-old son Emmett in August 1955. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Creed III well filmed and choreographed fight scenes but just your usual take on Rocky films. Saying that I did enjoy it. Although Tony bellew might be able to box but can’t act 😁
this week going to see 65 Adam driver crash landing on earth during the dinosaur period. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/02/2023 at 12:29, Amsterdam Russ said:

I watched it a few days ago and found it to be really rather dull. And it's way too long – some scenes seemed to be very laboured and just dragged on. Not Spielberg's best by a long, long way.

I watched it last week, I thought it was a whimsy affair, typical of Speilberg. The filming scenes of him learning his craft was interesting but apart from that it was dull. I have seen a lot better films in the last week. Including the rather beautiful Polish film EO, something I have never seen the likes of before by jerzey Skolimowski - rather excellent and a beautiful cinematic ride. You will not see anything quite like it!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Jonko said:

the rather beautiful Polish film EO

I'll look out for that. I watched a French film recently called "My donkey, my lover and I" Clearly donkey's are in!

The film - a comedy/romance – was pretty lightweight, but then anything involving comedy in French films usually is. It was enjoyable, but doubt I'd feel the need to see it again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11013434/

Jumping from lightweight French cinema and over to music, I saw both the Mahalia Jackson movies in recent weeks: the TV movie Robin Roberts presents: Mahalia (2021) and Remember me: the Mahalia Jackson story (2022).

Anyone who grew up watching TV movies in the 70s and 80s will recall them as low budget affairs and equally low budget acting, but I have to say I found the TV movie outshone the later offering. 

While both suffer from excessive Disneyfication, what tipped it for me was the different portrayals of Mahalia in each. In the 2022 film, Mahalia is played by soul singer Ledisi. She makes no effort to *be* Mahalia Jackson, except in name and some mannerisms. And this is deliberately done by the producers and Ledisi herself. When she sings, it's as Ledisi - and while she's a good singer in her own right, she's no Mahalia.

What also separates the two films is that each present her life in different ways, and it seems likely that the second film avoided some of the aspects presented in the first film, thus avoiding being a mere copy of it. 

Both worth watching, but the TV movie wins because it captures the powerful spirit of the legend that was Mahalia Jackson - and when Danielle Brooks sings as Mahalia, oh Lord, you'd swear it was Mahalia!

And, I'm sure I read somewhere there's to be a third Mahalia biopic sometime soon.

Links:

Robin Roberts presents: Mahalia https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13942226/

Remember me: The Mahalia Jackson story: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13880832/

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

The film - a comedy/romance – was pretty lightweight, but then anything involving comedy in French films usually is. It was enjoyable, but doubt I'd feel the need to see it again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11013434/

Sounds interesting. Talking about French films. A few days ago I saw the film  CLOSE a French / Belgium co production. Film has been nominated for Best Foreign film at the Oscars (I didn't know that before seeing it only found out that through talking to a friend after). It is brilliant, very moving portrayal of these two young boys growing up and going.

The 13-year-old boys Léo and Rémis have a close friendship at school and in the flower fields where they and their parents pick the harvest for home. When schoolmates shoot a wedge into the relationship, tragedy happens.

It's a very emotional story with excellent music with out being too Hollywoodesque  - if you know what i mean, I was very tearful at times. Fantastic coming of age film, check it out if you can find a cinema showing . There are some Vues and Odeon's screening it in their awards season due to its nominations. Sadly I was the only one in the audience - but I do like having cinemas to myself.

Edited by Jonko
Social source share

If you have Netflix there are loads of great Spanish productions to check out.

I especially like ERRMENTARI (The Blacksmith and the Devil). Well worth watching, and you get to practice your Spanish while you're at it... 🙂 ¡gran película!

"A blacksmith holds a demon in captivity, torturing it as revenge for his troubles. One day, an orphan girl stumbles upon the demon's enclosure and unwittingly releases it."

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 17.15.45.png

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

I'm reading 'A People Betrayed' by Paul Preston at the moment, a history of the corruption in modern Spain, thankfully which is now lifting, Spain is looking up, it's a great country and culture...

But it reminded me of a film somebody send me as a DVD on here from the last Film thread, can't remember who it was, thank you btw.  It's called 'Butterfly's Tounge'. well worth watching, directed by Jose Luis Cuerdas.

Thought I'd break up you French film buffs! I'm joking.. Laughing

MV5BMjE4NDcyMzA1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzU1MDAzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

1 hour ago, Jonko said:

I watched it last week, I thought it was a whimsy affair, typical of Speilberg. The filming scenes of him learning his craft was interesting but apart from that it was dull. I have seen a lot better films in the last week. Including the rather beautiful Polish film EO, something I have never seen the likes of before by jerzey Skolimowski - rather excellent and a beautiful cinematic ride. You will not see anything quite like it!

EO is fantastic and so is the film. One of those WTF  have I just watched films. Salami sales will have plummeted.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Jonko said:

CLOSE a French / Belgium co production

I looked at that but wasn't sure if it was for me. Might take another look.

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

ERRMENTARI (The Blacksmith and the Devil)

Pretty certain I've seen it, yet remember very little about it.

51 minutes ago, Mal C said:

'Butterfly's Tounge'. well worth watching, directed by Jose Luis Cuerdas.

Got that on DVD some years back and enjoyed it. Maybe time for another visit. 

I did take in Bill Nighy's Living recently. I saw Kurosawa's classic Ikiru about 20 years and was really blown away by it. I've seen it a couple of times since.

I had low expectations of Living, and the first half hour or so - the establishing of the characters and the time and place - did nothing to lift that. But... once the film gets going, things improve, so much so that I shed tears as the end drew near, just as I did with Ikiru.

I was really impressed with the homage Living made to Ikiru with its end, playground scenes. I can't say with any certainty, but it seemed to me that they'd looked to replicate everything from the original - the lighting, camera angles, scene set-up, and Nighy's actions.

In the end, I thought it an excellent film. I do hope Bill Nighy gets the Oscar for it. That would be truly well deserved.  

Social source share

Not sure if mentioned on here before , but on the BBC iPlayer saw Clint Eastwood's " The Mule " , story about the oldest drug Mule in America , the other night , with " More Today Than Yesterday" in the soundtrack , would recommend it if you haven't seen it already .

Social source share

23 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

Not sure if mentioned on here before , but on the BBC iPlayer saw Clint Eastwood's " The Mule " , story about the oldest drug Mule in America , the other night , with " More Today Than Yesterday" in the soundtrack , would recommend it if you haven't seen it already .

yes I saw that, good film. We should do a thread of films with soul tracks in them!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

One of my favourite film soundtracks is by Goran Bregović for "Time of the Gypsies" by Emir Kusturica. Probably his best ever film for which he won the Best Director Award in the 1989 Cannes Film Festival. Shamefully it has never been reissued in the UK either in the cinema or on DVD. I just don't understand. You can watch it on Amazon (for a small price) - I still have my old VHS copy if I ever want to watch it. The only DVD's ever available is a German version with no English subtitles or dodgy Korean ones. Such a shame - absolutely beautiful film and great soundtrack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_the_Gypsies

Social source share

22 hours ago, Mal C said:

can't remember who it was, thank you btw. 

Twas me Mal, glad you liked it,  I have a collection of World Cinema dvds many of which I'll probably not watch again so if you come across anything mentioned on this thread or elsewhere if I have them you're welcome to those as well. Bear in mind I haven't bought any for some years so most are I would guess prior to 2015, might have some later ones though. 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Can anyone remember the James Cann Classic , Violent Streets aka The Thief , great is understated.

Story about a Jewelry Thief , great cast , great soundtrack pretty sure Mighty Joe Young in a blues band club scene , from about 1981 I think but still worth searching for , Classic !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I Watched The Bandit last night starring Mel Gibson on Amazon Prime, it's a lighthearted look at Canada's most prolific bank robber, A decent entertaining watch however Chuck Cockerham "Have I got a right"was playing in the bar.  not just a snippet but the whole song.The camera showed a record going round but I couldn't make out the label. It also featured on the end credits licence'd from Sony I think.

I always think it's great hearing our favourite rare soul music featured in mainstream movie soundtracks

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

I watched a Danish film last night called Happy Ending (2018), which included Ray Charles's 'Hit the road Jack' and Speedometer's 'Happy'. The Ray Charles song has of course been used many, many times, but I was really surprised to hear 'Happy'.

Not an outstanding film. Businessman in his 70s retires. His wife of 40 years thinks they'll now spend time together and have adventures just as they did when they were so much younger. Instead he buys shares in an Austrian vineyard. The couple split up. She has a lesbian affair. They come to terms with their differences and go their separate ways. The film closes with him among his beloved vines and her boarding a train with a backpack, full of new found confidence about who she is and what she wants out of the remaining years of her life.

It is indeed a happy ending. 6/10.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7413472/

Social source share

I've been watching quite a few films in recent months and as a result have spent a lot of time on IMDB.

In the last couple of weeks I've been putting together a personal list of stuff watched in maybe the last six/nine months (although there are lots of films I've completely forgotten about already).

My own approach to ratings is that a 5-star film is average, and one I'm really unlikely to want to see again. A 6-star film is an OK movie I might rewatch at some point in the future. Seven- and eight-star movies are good and very good respectively. 

Anyway, if of interest, my list is here:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur21870234/ratings

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

I've been watching quite a few films in recent months and as a result have spent a lot of time on IMDB.

In the last couple of weeks I've been putting together a personal list of stuff watched in maybe the last six/nine months (although there are lots of films I've completely forgotten about already).

My own approach to ratings is that a 5-star film is average, and one I'm really unlikely to want to see again. A 6-star film is an OK movie I might rewatch at some point in the future. Seven- and eight-star movies are good and very good respectively. 

Anyway, if of interest, my list is here:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur21870234/ratings

Interesting list though I must admit that I have only seen 6 of these on your list. We probably have different tastes as I watch main independent and foreign language films. Impressive way to make a list using IMDB, I must do a list like that. How is it possible to make a list like that in IMDB? do you have to subscribe to use  that kind of function?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!