Unfriendly People

Cliques

Long Lists

Hypocrites

Long Lists

Hypocrites

Repetition....

Hammy

What do you class as a wannabe collector,the biggest collection must have started with 1 record.Elitist pr***s thats what I hate :angry:

Social source share

• Replies 242
  • Views 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sorry to say but at some venues I have to weave my way through the dancefloor cos it depends where the "Ladies" is. It's sometimes impossible to make your way around the edge as a lot of people choose to dance right in front of their table(if their lucky enough to have one!).

To reply to "People who sit there and don't dance" My husband Alan would love to dance but I'm afraid his knees won't let him. On the odd times he has danced then he can hardly walk for 2-3 days. If he looks miserable it's only because he's thinking about the nites when he was on the floor all night.

Never mind I make up for it and spend most of my time dancing for both of us. whistling.gif

Social source share

I have had the piss took out of the way I dance for the last 30 years hasn't stopped me yet.

So don't worry about it just enjoy it. thumbsup.gif

My pet hates .

Cliques the ones who don't want you at there even after you spent over 2 hours travelling to get there

People who always putting other people down.

Spending hours and hours trying not to clash , finding a night then 2 weeks before 2 or 3 get added to the same night as yours. :thumbsup:

I`d agree with that..My experience is of a soul night that had 150+ attendees on a regular basis, numbers dropped to about 20-25 and the promoter still couldn`t lower himself to pass the time of day or even smile at those he obviously thought was beneath him but who were, in fact, still supporting his gig. Perhaps thats why numbers dropped in the first place...Just a thought..!

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Guest hammy

What do you class as a wannabe collector,the biggest collection must have started with 1 record.Elitist pr***s thats what I hate :angry:

A wannabe collector is someone who buys 50-100 records off eBay after the kids leave home, normally big oldies, then starts a local night. Never buys a cheap record. Normally talks loudly about " how much they've just spent" or "how much this cost" rather than " I like how this sounds." Talks about " building a collection" yet a true collector is motivated by the love of the music first and foremost.

hammy

Social source share

hey how can you support man u if you never go to watch them play............just a thought

Not sure of your analogy, but......

I support my local football team Northampton Town. Been a season ticket holder for 15 years but still went on a regular basis before so most of the football I've watched has been "local". It also hasn't stopped me travelling to Darlington, Lincoln, Grimsby, Bournemouth, Torquay, Cardiff, Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Watford, Nottingham, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Southend, Rochdale, Wigan, Swindon Peterborough, amongst other places to see my team. And just because I watch lower league football, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate Premier league football or International football.

Likewise in the 5 years or so that I have been active on the scene. Yeah, I've been to the majority of the soul nights in Northants, some on a regular basis. But I've also been to weekenders at Prestatyn, Whitby & Skegness, Nighters at Kings and Queens hall Stoke, 100 Club, Keele, Birmingham, NCSC, West Mids and Manchester, and places like Horncastle, Stamford, Peterborough, Cambridge, St Ives, Southend, London, Leicester, Luton, Bedford, Hemel Hempstead, Cannock, Bloxwich, Kidderminster, Rugby, Hatfield, Sheffield, Willington, Spondon, amongst others. I enjoy all types of soul music. Sometimes I just want to dance to stuff I know, other times I go to hear something different.

In fact, I'm travelling 500 miles so that I can hear Tony Parker play at Rushden in August because I'm cutting short a trip to France to make sure I'm back for the dayer!

I hope that answers your analogy!

Social source share

In fact, I'm travelling 500 miles so that I can hear Tony Parker play at Rushden in August because I'm cutting short a trip to France to make sure I'm back for the dayer!

Just Tony....what about me :thumbsup: ....how are ya mate...did you get the cd for your sis?

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

People who literally dump - sorry - empty a container of talc onto the floor right in front of the decks....cloud of talc gently settles all over decks and records and the dj - thanks very much :wicked:

Very sweaty spinners.....every time they spin, you get covered with their excretions - oooooooooooooooooh no

People who come up to you while you're djing, ask you for the 4 rarest records on the planet and when you haven't got them, become abusive.......... :wicked:

But apart from that - nothing else. Jo

Social source share

folks walking across the floor with beer in hands

too much talc

Northern soul vinyl snobbery ..if its northern you should be able to play it no matter how "played out " it is remember someone out there still loves it!!!! :wicked:

Mandy happy smiling dancing soulie! :wicked:

Social source share

People who literally dump - sorry - empty a container of talc onto the floor right in front of the decks....cloud of talc gently settles all over decks and records and the dj - thanks very much :thumbsup:

Very sweaty spinners.....every time they spin, you get covered with their excretions - oooooooooooooooooh no

People who come up to you while you're djing, ask you for the 4 rarest records on the planet and when you haven't got them, become abusive.......... ohmy.gif

I tend to be a lil sweaty after a few hours on the floor :thumbsup: i hope i dont spray sweat when i spin!! eek..i dont mind people putting down talc but not for everyone on the dancefloor!!

L

Social source share

People who literally dump - sorry - empty a container of talc onto the floor right in front of the decks....cloud of talc gently settles all over decks and records and the dj - thanks very much :thumbsup:

People who come up to you while you're djing, ask you for the 4 rarest records on the planet and when you haven't got them, become abusive.......... ohmy.gif

Jo

We have a soul aquaintance who...by the time we get to the venue is extremely sweaty and its a standing joke that our guys spot him and say ..."here comes sweaty _ _ _ _ _

for his kiss

Ps at least its clean sweat tho ...he does't smell of BO like some even before they've danced!!! YUK!!!!

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I tend to be a lil sweaty after a few hours on the floor :thumbsup: i hope i dont spray sweat when i spin!! eek..i dont mind people putting down talc but not for everyone on the dancefloor!!

L

Liam, a discreet amount of talc for personal use under your own feet is fine.... :lol: ..but taking the sprinkler bit off the top of an INDUSTRIAL pack of Johnsons Baby Powder that could powder every bleedin' arse in a maternity ward and then WHOOSHING the contents downwards onto the floor......is horrible :angry: Plus, breathing the stuff in is dreadful and a bit of a nightmare if you're prone to asthma unsure.gif Rant over.... :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

PMSL

Not only that, Geoff...they always say, before huffing loudly, turning on their heel and flouncing off 'Call yourself a dj'....... :thumbsup: You have to laugh :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

here,s another pet hate

promoters who drive miles to put out their flyers at other peoples venues but can,t be bothered to stay and enjoy the night. thought they are supposed to love the music the same as the rest of us. l know of at least two one from leics and one from kettering. If you want people to attend your venue then ATTEND OTHER PEOPLES

Social source share

Liam, a discreet amount of talc for personal use under your own feet is fine.... :thumbsup: ..but taking the sprinkler bit off the top of an INDUSTRIAL pack of Johnsons Baby Powder that could powder every bleedin' arse in a maternity ward and then WHOOSHING the contents downwards onto the floor......is horrible :angry: Plus, breathing the stuff in is dreadful and a bit of a nightmare if you're prone to asthma :D Rant over.... :thumbsup: Jo

I agree...talc isn't the only white powder some people can't get enough of on the soul scene...was at a night a few weeks ago and a woman sprinkled the talk every time she danced...I do not lie she actually opened a new bottle of it half way through the night as she'd run out! What a dickhead!

Social source share

People who literally dump - sorry - empty a container of talc onto the floor right in front of the decks....cloud of talc gently settles all over decks and records and the dj - thanks very much :lol:

People who come up to you while you're djing, ask you for the 4 rarest records on the planet and when you haven't got them, become abusive.......... :lol:

I tend to be a lil sweaty after a few hours on the floor :D i hope i dont spray sweat when i spin!! eek..i dont mind people putting down talc but not for everyone on the dancefloor!!

L

Liam,

Heres a sure fire way to stop that embarrasing sweaty spray when you spin................

....Put a bucket on your head :thumbsup: . :yes::P hope your well mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Not sure of your analogy, but......

I support my local football team Northampton Town. Been a season ticket holder for 15 years but still went on a regular basis before so most of the football I've watched has been "local". It also hasn't stopped me travelling to Darlington, Lincoln, Grimsby, Bournemouth, Torquay, Cardiff, Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Watford, Nottingham, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Southend, Rochdale, Wigan, Swindon Peterborough, amongst other places to see my team. And just because I watch lower league football, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate Premier league football or International football.

Likewise in the 5 years or so that I have been active on the scene. Yeah, I've been to the majority of the soul nights in Northants, some on a regular basis. But I've also been to weekenders at Prestatyn, Whitby & Skegness, Nighters at Kings and Queens hall Stoke, 100 Club, Keele, Birmingham, NCSC, West Mids and Manchester, and places like Horncastle, Stamford, Peterborough, Cambridge, St Ives, Southend, London, Leicester, Luton, Bedford, Hemel Hempstead, Cannock, Bloxwich, Kidderminster, Rugby, Hatfield, Sheffield, Willington, Spondon, amongst others. I enjoy all types of soul music. Sometimes I just want to dance to stuff I know, other times I go to hear something different.

not really, anyone can say what you,ve said .thing is i,ve only ever seen you at the embankment club.....and yes i do go allover the place

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

people who spray talc all over the place like a desert storm....you expect to see a major dance sensation, but you get nothing better than your uncle ted dancing pissed up at a wedding

Social source share

not really, anyone can say what you,ve said .thing is i,ve only ever seen you at the embankment club.....and yes i do go allover the place

Yes, but you're not all over the place at the same time are you? And until I was pointed out to you at the Embankment a few months back you didn't even know who I was so you are hardly likely to notice someone you don't know. Anyway, I'm not really bothered if you believe me or not as there are enough people who have seen me at the places I've mentioned but I expect you'll call them liars as well. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

A wannabe collector is someone who buys 50-100 records off eBay after the kids leave home, normally big oldies, then starts a local night. Never buys a cheap record. Normally talks loudly about " how much they've just spent" or "how much this cost" rather than " I like how this sounds." Talks about " building a collection" yet a true collector is motivated by the love of the music first and foremost.

hammy

The nail has been hit on its head. There are so many tunes £50 and under that never get played out. At the end of the day "its whats in the groove that counts" whether its a £10 or £500 pound tune is irrelevant. In fact some big money tunes I dont rate that much and I like all styles of soul.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

L

Hi Liam. You dont need talc as you have puddles of sweat at your feet to spin in whistling.gif

Just messing mate. How's tricks? You missed a good weekend in Cleethorpes.

Social source share

Just Tony....what about me :thumbsup: ....how are ya mate...did you get the cd for your sis?

Looking forward to the whole day mate. I've only heard Tony play once and it was quite a while back but I'm hoping to hear a load of new stuff.

Delivered CD last night and Sis says a big thanks! :rolleyes:

Social source share

The nail has been hit on its head. There are so many tunes £50 and under that never get played out. At the end of the day "its whats in the groove that counts" whether its a £10 or £500 pound tune is irrelevant. In fact some big money tunes I dont rate that much and I like all styles of soul.

Bang on! Most DJ's may want to have an exclusive or two, but then there's those that don't recognise a tune unles it's got 2 or 3 zero's in the price tag, and completely ignore all of the underplayed, quality tunes that are out there on the basis that more than 5 copies exist. Value quite often dictates the play list rather than the quality of music and soul content. :angry:

Social source share

Bang on! Most DJ's may want to have an exclusive or two, but then there's those that don't recognise a tune unles it's got 2 or 3 zero's in the price tag, and completely ignore all of the underplayed, quality tunes that are out there on the basis that more than 5 copies exist. Value quite often dictates the play list rather than the quality of music and soul content. :angry:

hey cliff are you posting from your sick bed how much was that les femme think you said £3.00 thats only two zeros in the price tag :laugh:

Social source share

Soz guys! completely baffled by this technology, hence no proper reply. BUT.................... personally I have always cringed at the term 'Northern Soul'..................FULL STOP.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

amen to that :thumbsup:

Social source share

People who add events to their personal details on this site when they don`t even go there! Whats that all about?? I thought it was meant as having some sort of affiliation to a place?

Bridget

I have Pilsley on mine as I have visited previously ( altho I have diffficulty gettin now)

I see it as the point of fact that its a good club!

If you look at my blog I also mention clubs I have visited and what a great job they do

Mandy :sleep3:

If you dont want Pilsley on my profile pm me I wil take it off for you

PS say hello to Barry not seen him for quite a while

Social source share

Guest bananaman
I totally agree with you too much trying to out do each other instead of listening to the public all we want is good danceable music it doesn't have to be rare. :sleep3:sad.gif
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert