Soulcarp

• Replies 45
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Fred Bridges - Baby Don't You Weep - Versatile - £271

Pat & the Blenders - (all i need is your) Good, Good Lovin c/w Just Because - Fast Eddie - £539

Hunter and his Games - How You Get Higher vocal & instru - Stacey - £94

Little Joe Roman - When You're Lonesome - Tuff promo - £761

Sound Masters - Lonely Lonely - Julet - £359

Joyce Taylor - What Can I Do c/w Mean Mis-Treater - Wal-ly - £229

Don Heart - Lovers Hideaway - Tuba - £106

Al Hughes - Take It Or Leave It - Scope - £393

Billy Nichols - Shake A Leg c/w You Can't Fool This Fool - Sue promo - £50

Las Vegas Connection - Running Back To You c/w Can't Nobody Love Me Like You Do - Hep'me - £386

Honey Bees - Let's Get Back Together c/w Never In A Million Years - Garrison promo - £784

Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over - Pye International DEMO - £142

Helen Shapiro - Stop (and you will become aware) - Columbia Demo - £215

Moses Smith - Keep On Striving c/w Come On, Let Me Love You - Cotillion promo - £187

Jimmy Armstrong - I Won't Believe It Til I See It - Jet Set promo - £470

Social source share

Fred Bridges - Baby Don't You Weep - Versatile - £271

Pat & the Blenders - (all i need is your) Good, Good Lovin c/w Just Because - Fast Eddie - £539

Hunter and his Games - How You Get Higher vocal & instru - Stacey - £94

Little Joe Roman - When You're Lonesome - Tuff promo - £761

Sound Masters - Lonely Lonely - Julet - £359

Joyce Taylor - What Can I Do c/w Mean Mis-Treater - Wal-ly - £229

Don Heart - Lovers Hideaway - Tuba - £106

Al Hughes - Take It Or Leave It - Scope - £393

Billy Nichols - Shake A Leg c/w You Can't Fool This Fool - Sue promo - £50

Las Vegas Connection - Running Back To You c/w Can't Nobody Love Me Like You Do - Hep'me - £386

Honey Bees - Let's Get Back Together c/w Never In A Million Years - Garrison promo - £784

Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over - Pye International DEMO - £142

Helen Shapiro - Stop (and you will become aware) - Columbia Demo - £215

Moses Smith - Keep On Striving c/w Come On, Let Me Love You - Cotillion promo - £187

Jimmy Armstrong - I Won't Believe It Til I See It - Jet Set promo - £470

Wow! on Pat And The Blenders, Glad I've kept mine now...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

still would le to know how they end up please today

Exporting this to LAYB. Perhaps one of the Box mods can merge with on of you other two threads in there on the same subject.

Wow! on Pat And The Blenders, Glad I've kept mine now...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Yes so glad I gave my copy away ... :ohmy::lol:

Social source share

Bloody hell! :thumbsup: When did this jump up past a £25 record. Glad I got mine for peanuts. :lol:

Jordi

Jordi

I thought i'd mis-read it! Thinking on, I still think it might be a mis-print!! Decimal point in the wrong place?? Maybe we were just in the right place at the right time when we got ours, but I didn't think it was rare at all. Tell us JM!!

Right!! I'm off to look through my boxes of doom for the next auction item. "Pain Of City Living" anyone?? How about "What's Ever Fair" on Blackbird (or whatever it is)........... There must be summat in there somewhere!!! Alonzo Turner anyone??.............

Steve

Social source share

Jordi

I thought i'd mis-read it! Thinking on, I still think it might be a mis-print!! Decimal point in the wrong place?? Maybe we were just in the right place at the right time when we got ours, but I didn't think it was rare at all. Tell us JM!!

Right!! I'm off to look through my boxes of doom for the next auction item. "Pain Of City Living" anyone?? How about "What's Ever Fair" on Blackbird (or whatever it is)........... There must be summat in there somewhere!!! Alonzo Turner anyone??.............

Steve

This is actually quite a hard record. Got mine for £1.50 :thumbsup: (I know you hate to hear that) from Soul Bowl back in the early 80's as did many then on the modern scene. However records like this just disappear into collections, and don't resurface too often.

Social source share

This is actually quite a hard record. Got mine for £1.50 :lol: (I know you hate to hear that) from Soul Bowl back in the early 80's as did many then on the modern scene. However records like this just disappear into collections, and don't resurface too often.

Hee Hee - mine's just resurfaced..............after spending time in the big box of 'cheapies' in the garage :thumbsup:

It'd dead expensive now, so it must be good :P:)wink.gif

Actually, the mid tempo side is very very good (imho)

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Jordi

Steve

Steve,

A little embarrassed to say we had quanity on this title as a new release, £1.50 we used to sell it for.

Like Steve says they disappear.. I certainly would not have thought of it as an auction, but European customer wanted it up there..and it surprised us all..but BOTH sides are great ..so why not?

The other thing is it's New Orlerans & the producer Senator Jones has been hit for all his vinyl long ago..so it's rarity is pretty well assued.

john

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Steve,

A little embarrassed to say we had quanity on this title as a new release, £1.50 we used to sell it for.

Like Steve says they disappear.. I certainly would not have thought of it as an auction, but European customer wanted it up there..and it surprised us all..but BOTH sides are great ..so why not?

The other thing is it's New Orlerans & the producer Senator Jones has been hit for all his vinyl long ago..so it's rarity is pretty well assued.

john

How many Carlena Williams on Broadcast did you have John , any data on that

Social source share

This is actually quite a hard record. Got mine for £1.50 :thumbsup: (I know you hate to hear that) from Soul Bowl back in the early 80's as did many then on the modern scene. However records like this just disappear into collections, and don't resurface too often.

I got this on ebay like a month or two ago for $10 and kept missing it for around that price too.

Social source share

Steve,

john

Hey I think I had mine off you JM, in fact I think it was even one of your recommendations (for 'can't nobody') so you must have had a few :lol: .

Fab tune, I'm not knocking it in any way (or you for auctioning it for that matter). Top result! Plus, anyone who was in any doubt whatsoever as to where to send their auction items to get top dollar, well that's solved that one. :thumbsup:

A new jingle for your website........

JM! He's our man!

He's alright for a Leicester fan...........

Steve

Social source share

Jordi

Steve

I had a few of the Las Vegas Connection a couple of years ago sold then for about £120 each. But everything from this period seems to be on the move now. Why cuz back then when some of us got them from The Bowl or in the US, people concidered them disco records. Times change and tastes.

Many years ago I got 15 copies of Ty Karim-Lightin' up-Romark, couldn't sell them to save my life, too slow, wrong version. Used to give them away to mates who came round the house, Dave Greet still has the one I gave him

North By Northeast-Pain of city living, is a great track and will have it's day on the dance floor. It was never pressed in great quantity, it's from Detroit, so watch the price go then :thumbsup:

Social source share

I had a few of the Las Vegas Connection a couple of years ago sold then for about £120 each. But everything from this period seems to be on the move now. Why cuz back then when some of us got them from The Bowl or in the US, people concidered them disco records. Times change and tastes.

Many years ago I got 15 copies of Ty Karim-Lightin' up-Romark, couldn't sell them to save my life, too slow, wrong version. Used to give them away to mates who came round the house, Dave Greet still has the one I gave him

North By Northeast-Pain of city living, is a great track and will have it's day on the dance floor. It was never pressed in great quantity, it's from Detroit, so watch the price go then :lol:

Ey up Dave!

That's it, I'm gonna keep ALL my tunes now!

North By Northeast indeedy! Heading towards the playbox now and it's gonna have it's day now in my very few and far between sets! Let's see if we can talk it up a bit more.....If you start playing it it'll be £300 in a coupla months :thumbsup:

Hey, Livin In Hard Times on Cherry blossom or whatever it is always hit the spot with me as well. Think it'd be pushing it too far with that on the 'far too common' front though......Hmmmm, but then again............... you never know?.........

I remember you and me having this sort of 'conversation' (if you can call it that after we'd hit the bottle) at The Orwell about 'Willowman'. I knew i should have auctioned it!

Anyways, i thought you'd shed yourselves of the chains we know as Soul Source!!?? It's good to have a man of your standing in the community back!

Steve

Social source share

It's also worth bearing in mind that some of the early 80s indies which sounded technologically older didn't sell too well at the time. Releases which had real strings and horns were often passed over for records which embraced the new technology. It seemed at that particular point that tunes such as James Cobbin, WQBC, Bill etc. were the way forward, certainly for the dancefloor. The more 'classic' or traditional sounds have stood the test of time far better, but were seen as dated in some quarters.

Social source share

It's also worth bearing in mind that some of the early 80s indies which sounded technologically older didn't sell too well at the time. Releases which had real strings and horns were often passed over for records which embraced the new technology. It seemed at that particular point that tunes such as James Cobbin, WQBC, Bill etc. were the way forward, certainly for the dancefloor. The more 'classic' or traditional sounds have stood the test of time far better, but were seen as dated in some quarters.

Dont know about that Gareth , I'd say every tune had a fair go if it was good! ..tunes like Halo , Bill , David Sea , Sho-Nuff ,G C Cameron etc have all stood the test of time IMO

Social source share

I should have hadded the rider "for me" to that claim, Simon.

I never heard Halo at the time, but probably would have bought it had it been around for general consumption: I'm pretty certain I would have offloaded it by now if I had, if only for monetary reasons.

I've still kept all the other 45s you mention, though, so you're right in saying they've stood up pretty well. I'm not too sure about James Cobbin & Prime Cut not having dated hideously. I still love it but you've got to concede it's got more than a touch of the musical equivalent of a Crockett & Tubbs suit about it!

Social source share

How many Carlena Williams on Broadcast did you have John , any data on that

Nope, no data whatsoever on Carlena on Broadcast..soundclip and info would be most appreciated!

If you can PM me on that one, any history and your estimated value would also help..

Social source share

I should have hadded the rider "for me" to that claim, Simon.

I never heard Halo at the time, but probably would have bought it had it been around for general consumption: I'm pretty certain I would have offloaded it by now if I had, if only for monetary reasons.

I've still kept all the other 45s you mention, though, so you're right in saying they've stood up pretty well. I'm not too sure about James Cobbin & Prime Cut not having dated hideously. I still love it but you've got to concede it's got more than a touch of the musical equivalent of a Crockett & Tubbs suit about it!

I agree with you on James Cobbin production wise , but I still enjoy playing it at home . however Mark H's 80's night proved that there is lots of 80's gems that are overlooked for today .. Re: strings .. Over use of strings puts the 60's fans off too because ( As James Rubble would say) it becomes girly and airy fairy !! With hindsight we can be more selective in our choices , but I dont see why dj's flinch from heavy bassline syth sounds shaking those speakers if the soul is still there ..

ps. they like it abroad !!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

"North By Northeast-Pain of city living"

Just played this for the first time in God knows how many years..on you guys tips...it's great!!

Flipside is worth a spin also, sounds dead-ringer for a backing to one of those "Ghetto Black Cop" films from the early 70s.

This 45 did get a brief Cleethorpes Pier airing.. but never really took off, today it would fair much better.

Social source share

Just played this for the first time in God knows how many years..on you guys tips...it's great!!

Flipside is worth a spin also, sounds dead-ringer for a backing to one of those "Ghetto Black Cop" films from the early 70s.

This 45 did get a brief Cleethorpes Pier airing.. but never really took off, today it would fair much better.

And there's a whole bunch on Gemm cheap as chips, including yours John :thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Aye its great innit!! Stick with me kid, you'll go far with this soul thing................... :thumbsup:

Right! I hereby claim North by Northeast as my own personal revived spin. If anyone else wants to secure the rights to play it out then they must secure my approval in writing, sworn on my Patrick Swayzee and Jim Carrey autobiographies. :lol:

Steve

Social source share

Aye its great innit!! Stick with me kid, you'll go far with this soul thing................... :thumbsup:

Right! I hereby claim North by Northeast as my own personal revived spin. If anyone else wants to secure the rights to play it out then they must secure my approval in writing, sworn on my Patrick Swayzee and Jim Carrey autobiographies. :P

Steve

I think it's only fair that in the anal's of soul, you go down as the man that re-discovered this little gem :lol:

Social source share

And there's a whole bunch on Gemm cheap as chips, including yours John :sleep3:

Lost my Gemm password and can't be bothered to register again..so who wants to sell me a copy of this at a price similar to those on Gemm?? PM me.

Cheers

Adam.

Social source share

I think it's only fair that in the anal's of soul, you go down as the man that re-discovered this little gem :sleep3:

Fame at last!! Wait til I tell me mam!!

And you watch you're apostrophe's young man!

Fame will no doubt be fleeting though Dave, a mere ghost that passes in the night. I know my bubble's gonna burst :ohmy: someone will be on in a min to say "It's an OLDIE ya muppet! I've been playing it for the last 4 years at the Billington-On-Snout rare soul night "

Social source share

Fame at last!! Wait til I tell me mam!!

And you watch you're apostrophe's young man!

Fame will no doubt be fleeting though Dave, a mere ghost that passes in the night. I know my bubble's gonna burst :ohmy: someone will be on in a min to say "It's an OLDIE ya muppet! I've been playing it for the last 4 years at the Billington-On-Snout rare soul night "

They might, but by then it's too late, it's here in print. :ohmy:

apostrophe's :sleep3:

If my memory serves me right it is Ivy Jo Hunter on vocal. The label is his and i'm sure he said he did the vocals.

Social source share

Lost my Gemm password and can't be bothered to register again..so who wants to sell me a copy of this at a price similar to those on Gemm?? PM me.

Cheers

Adam.

Nice 1 Adam. The snowball's rolling down the hill on this 1 now..............

Just had a 'top' (ish) 'DJ' (I use the term loosely) :ohmy: (sorry m8!) on the blower asking about this............... :sleep3:

My god! What have we started!.................

John! Book me an auction spot for about 6 weeks time......................

Social source share

Nice 1 Adam. The snowball's rolling down the hill on this 1 now..............

Just had a 'top' (ish) 'DJ' (I use the term loosely) :huh: (sorry m8!) on the blower asking about this............... :ohmy:

My god! What have we started!.................

John! Book me an auction spot for about 6 weeks time......................

I know, I know :ohmy:

Still I have faith in the soul source masses to find a cheap copy for me....JM obviously has some so maybe he'll be kind enough to put one on his site for me :sleep3:

Social source share

I know, I know :D

Still I have faith in the soul source masses to find a cheap copy for me....JM obviously has some so maybe he'll be kind enough to put one on his site for me whistling.gif

We had three copies yesterday, today we have NONE! You lot talk too much..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

I got this on ebay like a month or two ago for $10 and kept missing it for around that price too.

Are you sure that you're not thinking about their OTHER superb 45 on Hep Me entitled "Give Me Your Love"? Some of you seems to be mixing up "Running Back To You" with "Give Me Your Love". "Running Back To You" has hardly ever come up for sale during the past 2-3 years and there have been less than a handful of copies on eBay in that time.

Social source share

We had three copies yesterday, today we have NONE! You lot talk too much..

They must have gone very quickly then John, I looked on your site almost straight away and there was nothing showing for it! Never mind though, managed to find a copy :huh:

Adam.

Social source share

They must have gone very quickly then John, I looked on your site almost straight away and there was nothing showing for it! Never mind though, managed to find a copy :huh:

Adam.

it often happens, you guys discuss a record and we sell it as it's being discussed. i'm sure other sites experience the same, all we say is keep up the good work, there must be 100s of £10 records just waiting to be rediscovered.

Social source share

it often happens, you guys discuss a record and we sell it as it's being discussed. i'm sure other sites experience the same, all we say is keep up the good work, there must be 100s of £10 records just waiting to be rediscovered.

I like £10 (or less) records! As I said on another thread I just can't imagine spending £1,000s on just one 45 when for the same amount of money you can pick up a record box full of quality stuff.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Ahh sorry to bust your additional fame Mr Womble, but our very own Mark Bicknell (I think it was him anyway) reviewed this in print within the last few years (SUN?), I remember very well as sounded interesting and didnt think I had heard it, bought it blind for about £8, thought what a great tip, went to place it lovingly on the shelves only to find an almost unplayed one already there, had no memory of buying it or hearing!

So great sound, well chuffed now ass I look forward to its 100 times appreciation and my future pension fund contribution, but before anyone asks I gave the spare away as it was such a cheapie! Doh

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Ahh sorry to bust your additional fame Mr Womble, but our very own Mark Bicknell (I think it was him anyway) reviewed this in print within the last few years (SUN?), I remember very well as sounded interesting and didnt think I had heard it, bought it blind for about £8, thought what a great tip, went to place it lovingly on the shelves only to find an almost unplayed one already there, had no memory of buying it or hearing!

So great sound, well chuffed now ass I look forward to its 100 times appreciation and my future pension fund contribution, but before anyone asks I gave the spare away as it was such a cheapie! Doh

I'm confused...lol still that's not difficult is it, sorry but which record did I review as I've lost the plot here????

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

DOH! I knew it! Just when I though I'd finally made it!!........ Mr Bicknell, I salute you as always!! GRRRRRR :rolleyes: ........

Still, I'm gonna make it someday, I'm gonna make it somehow then I'll be able to say ..ner-ner-ner-ner-ner :thumbsup:

Alonzo Turner anyone.......................?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

John is a long time pal of mine, so no axe to grind ......why do some tunes go for so much on his site, when i,ve seen the same tune at the same time on ear-bay go for loads less...surely people are watching both mediums :rolleyes:

Social source share

John is a long time pal of mine, so no axe to grind ......why do some tunes go for so much on his site, when i,ve seen the same tune at the same time on ear-bay go for loads less...surely people are watching both mediums :lol:

Condition of the product and Service maybe the key. + every purchase carries a 100% no hassle full refund gaurantee.

So when your £8600 Don Gardner - Cheatin' Kind -win.... gets squashed by the Fed-Ex lorry :( . You know the refund is on it's way... :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert