Soul Night Disgrace

Whats worse a new girl on the block playing boots or a well known dj getting spots sos he can play his digitised/remastered/discoed up records. at least the boot sounds like the real thing. :ohmy:

Im just a punter, I dont stand swan necking at the decks, I dont really care that much ,as Coops said "there are record collectors and there are dee-jays. SOMETIMES the two mix but.... very rarely."..I know I should say I dont want to listen to anything but originals...but whithout standing at the decks checking every record ( very sad ), I would'nt know anyway..as you know Im out to enjoy myself...thats my main concern

Bazza

Social source share

• Replies 749
  • Views 47.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

snob

i'll get my coat then, see if i can't hide from this elitism that's rampent in the minds of some people.

there are record collectors and there are dee-jays. SOMETIMES the two mix but.... very rarely.

:ohmy: I have to agree with this sentiment, and it's the first time I've heard it expressed on here.

I like to play originals myself though, apart from one or two that I've had since the late 60's - they're part of my heritage and I could easily replace 'em with originals, but won't.

I know some that I don't consider DJ's or collectors, and they still get away with it.

-Kev

Social source share

snob

i'll get my coat then, see if i can't hide from this elitism that's rampent in the minds of some people.

there are record collectors and there are dee-jays. SOMETIMES the two mix but.... very rarely.

don't think its elitism Coops,playing or owning a bootleg has a certain amount of pretence attached.Owning an original shows at least the owner is moderatly bothered in the scene they are on.(imho)

Agree with you on the "record collector/dee jay" quote,some people just put records on the decks, but nowt wrong with that.

Back on topic,does the "person" know the difference between boots n originals?.

Social source share

I know this story was from a soul venue in UK where people know, or should know the "rules". But what about the younger people around the world that are just getting into soul music? If there are a lot of "legal" reissues (Jazzman, Tramp etc.) and lots of illegal bootlegs around for almost nothing, how will you explain to them that it's much better to buy the "same" record for ten times more... :ohmy:

Social source share

Im just a punter, I dont stand swan necking at the decks, I dont really care that much ,as Coops said "there are record collectors and there are dee-jays. SOMETIMES the two mix but.... very rarely."..I know I should say I dont want to listen to anything but originals...but whithout standing at the decks checking every record ( very sad ), I would'nt know anyway..as you know Im out to enjoy myself...thats my main concern

Bazza

bazza your a top man, and i like your little dancing man, is it a video of you?

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Im 100% against the playing of boots at a venue. However, I dont understand why people have in many cases almost the same loathing for a legitimate re-issue that has been licenced by another label or just re-released on the original label a few years later. Some re-issues are rare enough. And do people accept the playing of UK releases by DJ's?. Many dont and it puzzles me. As long as its a legally released copy who gives a sh1t, I don't anyway. Some people have an aversion to original albums. The scene is so fickle.

There are a few tracks unreleased back in the 6ts only released on Kent albums or C.D.s I thinjk DJ's should play these. Stuff like Judy Clay 'Upset my heart' and Johnny Copeland 'No puppy love'. Never released on anything apart form compilations so fecking play them. They are good tracks and punters would love to hear them.However, would be against playing other tracks from compilations that have been released under the artists own name on legitimate vinyl.

As long as it's a legal release and not on a compilation (bar the exception of the compilation being the only legitimate release) then I personally don't have a probelem with it. When all the first issue US originals are owned by the over 60's how are young collectors who love Soul music ever going to break into DJing. If we want to keep the scene alive some folk need to broaden their minds on what is acceptable or not.

However, I agree that out and out boots are a total no-no at any event.

Edited by andyrattigan
Social source share

Bazza

hey Bazza,i think you care enough though!!.You pays yer money,you've got a right to know if its boots or not.Only got to ask!!

Social source share

Ok i know this thread has been on before but i just have to get this off my chest. Last night i travelled to a northern soul venue ( No name mentioned ) to listen and enjoy a night of good music and i was not let down. However i have been collecting vinyl now for about 20 years and have a decent collection of originals of which i have spent a small fortune on and seached and haggled for that elusive single to put in my box. So when a Dj gets up and starts playing great originals be it £20 or £2000 i know he has worked hard to build a collection and reputation to stand proudly behind the decks.

What a HATE however is a person who strolls up and is allowed to play an hour of bootlegs and re issues of rare records without the other Djs batting an eyelid and stepping off the decks to a round of applause. The set SHE played was fine except for the absence of 90%originals. Maybe im being a little biast but if i had been going on next i would have been cheesed off Knowing a £1000 original i was going to play had been played on a £5 bootleg previously.

I realise that the average northern soul punter doesn't care what format the record is as long as they can dance, but surely the event organisers sould stop this to keep some credability to there soul event. Needless to say we left before the end.

thats the truth behind it,all you can do is stay away from the events that have this kind of dj on if its that important to you.People dis-agree with it partly because its so easy to do,I could go to rob smiths right now and pick up the "TOP 500" for a few bob on boot or re-issue.

As bazza said "just a punter" most are and dont really care

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Old debate but one that will never go away unfortunately. I just find it really depressing that DJs can't be borthered to buy and collect original vinyl and play it out. It's not like you even need to spend a fortune to do a good set. As i've said a million times there are hundreds of rarely played superb and cheap 45s out there that never get a look in. I'd rather play an original brilliant £10 sound any day of the week than a boot of a £1k tune.

The best DJs have interesting and eclectic playboxes or have an original collection which allows them to play to the floor, even if that means a set of played out oldies if that's what the venue demands. I was at a venue recently and heard Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You (played out oldie fair enough) but as the DJ lifted it from the turntable i could see it was on a white label. My heart sank, he couldn't even be bothered to acquire a reasonably cheap 45 on original vinyl to play out. What's the point, he may as well have put on a CD and gone to the bar for an hour. :ohmy:

Original Vinyl Only. Accept nothing less.

Social source share

Bazza

Think Bazza got this spot on, the bulk of the punters are happy to hear their faves coming through the speakers regardless of what format is being played.

Surely most of the critisicm will no doubt come from the chin strokers around the bar with comments like 'This cant be real' or 'No way can he/she have one of these'

I think a door poll of the paying punters(not DJ's - just people out for a good night) would reveal that most dont care about originality or format.

Think you have to look to the floor really and draw your conclusion from there, if its packed and the paying punters are having a ball, odds are they dont mind or dont care

I have to admit to being part of the chin strokin fraternity in the past though! :huh:

Ill get me mac

M. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I was at this event last night,travelled with a couple of friends,not for the music as this could have been prdicted even before we left Peterborough,but to meet up with a couple of people.The young lady in question did play boots etc...........but she had a nice box (record)

As many have stated if you want to listen to good DJ,s playing pucker vinyl go to the events that provide that ie DKOF etc.The boots,emi V original has always been a bone of contention and always will.Even Mr Frank Elson,in the 70,s tried to stamp out the bootleg situation without success.........it will always be part of our great scene as will "Out on the floor" and "the right track".

One thing i will say in this womans defence she did use the mic fairly well..........unlike a lot of female disc spinners that dont,this i find strange,get women in the kitchen and you cant fecking shut them up,put a mic in their hand and it all goes tits up.

In conclussion proper plastic rules!!!!!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

don't think its elitism Coops,playing or owning a bootleg has a certain amount of pretence attached.Owning an original shows at least the owner is moderatly bothered in the scene they are on.(imho)

Agree with you on the "record collector/dee jay" quote,some people just put records on the decks, but nowt wrong with that.

Back on topic,does the "person" know the difference between boots n originals?.

heres a thought would you go to see man utd if they played 11 fellas who could play football,but were not their first team. whats the problem...11 blokes in man u shirts playing footy...real enough. is this not entertainment the same as a soul night. why is this not right?...cos you ain't getting what you payed for. IN BOTH CASES you pay for the first team and the first format.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I think everything should be played via a "Lear Jet Stereo 8 Track Cartridge" there is nothing more satisfying than travelling a thousand miles to a venue and hearing the tape tensioning mechanism and the interlock that prevents savage tape spillage.

I personally will not even attend any venue where they play vinyl records, I find it unacceptable, godamit I will only listen to soul in it's purest form. MMMMMMMMMMM Tape coated with slippery backing material..........

Brett...........

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Trevski

heres a thought would you go to see man utd if they played 11 fellas who could play football,but were not their first team. whats the problem...11 blokes in man u shirts playing footy...real enough. is this not entertainment the same as a soul night. why is this not right?...cos you ain't getting what you payed for. IN BOTH CASES you pay for the first team and the first format.

EXACTLY! not saying anymore as I always get into bother, but you know my views on the subject.

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Out of curiosity, anyone remember what tunes she played off bootlegs ? Rare and hard to find or easy to find 30, 40, 50 quidders on original vinyl ?

Social source share

One thing i will say in this womans defence she did use the mic fairly well..........unlike a lot of female disc spinners that dont,this i find strange,get women in the kitchen and you cant fecking shut them up,put a mic in their hand and it all goes tits up.

In conclussion proper plastic rules!!!!!!! :huh:

Social source share

Perhaps we should have cameras showing the decks so if a DJ puts on an 'unacceptable format' :ohmy: anyone who is bothered can go and sit down to show their disapproval.

Plus any venue not using Garrard SP25's should be shunned. :huh::lol: Originality is paramount

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Aww poor Donna, was no offence meant when I put about the tits to any woman DJ or owt of that nature, was just saying something I would have said out loud to anyone. Must curb my warped sense of humour :ohmy:

I suppose Jordan playing a box of boots would be acceptable ? :huh:

Social source share

To me the playing of an original record made around the time the artist recorded it is like a piece of soul history captured on vinyl for ever and in commands its price tag. Would you be happy to pay good money and travel to see the mona lisa and found out it was a replica made last week. i thinks not! :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Perhaps we should have cameras showing the decks so if a DJ puts on an 'unacceptable format' :ohmy: anyone who is bothered can go and sit down to show their disapproval.

Plus any venue not using Garrard SP25's should be shunned. :huh::lol: Originality is paramount

Garrard SP 25,s.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm trying to start the turntable without making the record jump.......that takes me back .........just a little bit

Social source share

Aww poor Donna, was no offence meant when I put about the tits to any woman DJ or owt of that nature, was just saying something I would have said out loud to anyone. Must curb my warped sense of humour :ohmy:

I suppose Jordan playing a box of boots would be acceptable ? :lol:

no she wouldnt no.gif her boobs aint originals either :huh:

Social source share

Jordan in just boots even more acceptable :huh:

Social source share

I suppose Jordan playing a box of boots would be acceptable ? wub.gif

where is she on then,is it ticket only :huh: . spose I could have a butchers,just out of curiosity you understand :lol:

Social source share

To me the playing of an original record made around the time the artist recorded it is like a piece of soul history captured on vinyl for ever and in commands its price tag. Would you be happy to pay good money and travel to see the mona lisa and found out it was a replica made last week. i thinks not! :ohmy:

Been to see the caves at Lascaux with pre-historic wall paintings Gobsmacking - but not real as the originals are so rare and easily damaged that they constructed an exact replica of the original (well that's what they tell me - I'll never really know!!)

Having said that - I wouldn't want to go all that way just to see a vid of it so bootlegs are out. But many records released in the sixties were re-issues at the time so you would have to be particularly eagle-eyed and a bit an*l to spot them now. So how original is original?

Social source share

I suppose Jordan playing a box of boots would be acceptable ? :huh:

Only if she was topless

and I thought you're bigger tits comment was funny

Social source share

Is she quite tall ,with black hair in a bob style..initial " D "

Bazza

Blimey, never thought I'd be this relieved to be 4 ft 10!

It is unfortunate that the DJ happened to be female, but it doesn't really matter - male or female, I personally find it disappointing. I think it is out of some old fashioned sense of 'fairness' and expectation of integrity. Like others have mentioned, I do think of many DJs as people who have worked at having a decent collection. Not to mention those who break their necks to find new discoveries, take risks on the dancefloor to break them, only to have some money grabbing arsehole to boot it and 'DJs' playing the boot when other DJs on the line up with the original don't then get to play it!

However, it's not like we sign up to a 'code of conduct' to be on the scene, where there are unambiguous rules that we all have to follow. I don't really know who the DJ is and I haven't looked to see which club night it was, but if the promoter is putting in hard earned cash then it's his/ or her choice on policies. It may be that the promoter is mortified about this situation. If so, then they need to be a bit more careful about bookings and if not, then that's up to them. As long as they are up front about it, it misleads nobody, and those that part with their own hard earned cash to travel to and get into the venue, as well as other DJs there know the deal up front.

One of the best soul nights I attended in the last couple of years was Warren's Boogaloo in Greenwich. He did a 'cheap as chips' night where all the DJs had to play records of around £10/£20. Not a boot in sight. Plenty of dancing etc. People can have amazing and relatively cheap collections by use of imagination and taste. Something, I suspect, that someone who relies on playing boots may lack.

All The Best,

Dawn Brown

Social source share

Blimey, never thought I'd be this relieved to be 4 ft 10!

It is unfortunate that the DJ happened to be female, but it doesn't really matter - male or female, I personally find it disappointing. I think it is out of some old fashioned sense of 'fairness' and expectation of integrity. Like others have mentioned, I do think of many DJs as people who have worked at having a decent collection. Not to mention those who break their necks to find new discoveries, take risks on the dancefloor to break them, only to have some money grabbing arsehole to boot it and 'DJs' playing the boot when other DJs on the line up with the original don't then get to play it!

However, it's not like we sign up to a 'code of conduct' to be on the scene, where there are unambiguous rules that we all have to follow. I don't really know who the DJ is and I haven't looked to see which club night it was, but if the promoter is putting in hard earned cash then it's his/ or her choice on policies. It may be that the promoter is mortified about this situation. If so, then they need to be a bit more careful about bookings and if not, then that's up to them. As long as they are up front about it, it misleads nobody, and those that part with their own hard earned cash to travel to and get into the venue, as well as other DJs there know the deal up front.

One of the best soul nights I attended in the last couple of years was Warren's Boogaloo in Greenwich. He did a 'cheap as chips' night where all the DJs had to play records of around £10/£20. Not a boot in sight. Plenty of dancing etc. People can have amazing and relatively cheap collections by use of imagination and taste. Something, I suspect, that someone who relies on playing boots may lack.

All The Best,

Dawn Brown

Spot on Dawn - most eloquently put :ohmy:

Social source share

Ok i know this thread has been on before but i just have to get this off my chest. Last night i travelled to a northern soul venue ( No name mentioned ) to listen and enjoy a night of good music and i was not let down. However i have been collecting vinyl now for about 20 years and have a decent collection of originals of which i have spent a small fortune on and seached and haggled for that elusive single to put in my box. So when a Dj gets up and starts playing great originals be it £20 or £2000 i know he has worked hard to build a collection and reputation to stand proudly behind the decks.

What a HATE however is a person who strolls up and is allowed to play an hour of bootlegs and re issues of rare records without the other Djs batting an eyelid and stepping off the decks to a round of applause. The set SHE played was fine except for the absence of 90%originals. Maybe im being a little biast but if i had been going on next i would have been cheesed off Knowing a £1000 original i was going to play had been played on a £5 bootleg previously.

I realise that the average northern soul punter doesn't care what format the record is as long as they can dance, but surely the event organisers sould stop this to keep some credability to there soul event. Needless to say we left before the end.

Totally agree. It's an insult to those who have paid money to get in and to the real DJs who follow.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Think Bazza got this spot on, the bulk of the punters are happy to hear their faves coming through the speakers regardless of what format is being played.

Surely most of the critisicm will no doubt come from the chin strokers around the bar with comments like 'This cant be real' or 'No way can he/she have one of these'

I think a door poll of the paying punters(not DJ's - just people out for a good night) would reveal that most dont care about originality or format.

I agree that probably most dancers won't or don't care what format it is, i dance a lot and i'm never sure what format it is but i'm at least hoping the DJ has the goods. Having said that last year i heard a certain famous DJ play a tune i pretty much knew for sure they didn't have and it soured the whole spot, that's probably just me. I can't say i wouldn't dance if i knew the DJ was only playing boots either. I suppose it depends on the night, the venue etc... Personally i would never play boots or CDs.

I don't think you need to be a chin stoker to expect someone setting themselves up as a DJ to have a box of original vinyl at least. Like i've said already there is plenty of original vinyl out there even cheaper than boots and reissues, it takes a creative DJ to do a good spot on meagre means and without resorting to big money tunes on boots. They have my respect.

Social source share

not at all relivent, a metophor that just does not scan.... there's only one man utd but, other than frank wilson they are more than one...... etc etc

Social source share

Hmm - here's a cheap original, £10 jobbie - shall I empty the floor with this or shall I play a pressing of a top sound and keep everyone dancing.

If you answer yes to the first option, you need to get a life and get your head out of your arse and realise that 90% of people go to venues to dance and enjoy themselves and not stare at record labels like some sort of vinyl pervert.

Social source share

Hmm - here's a cheap original, £10 jobbie - shall I empty the floor with this or shall I play a pressing of a top sound and keep everyone dancing.

If you answer yes to the first option, you need to get a life and get your head out of your arse and realise that 90% of people go to venues to dance and enjoy themselves and not stare at record labels like some sort of vinyl pervert.

You make it sound like a bad thing, arent you a professional vinyl pervert? :ohmy:

Social source share

JORDAN WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SEE THE DECKS :huh:

Social source share

Don't know the event in question, but a couple of points,

Though these events predominantly play the tried and tested, they still play stuff that was a couple of years earlier being broke at the more upfront/nighter scene, usually when its been booted/carved, IMO these 'tunes' help keep even the most oldies orientated events a little fresh and help stop even the keenest oldies 'soulie' getting bored, even if they don't really know it,

If then EVERYBODY went down this road and decided the best option is to open events whereby 'mates' with records will play top 500/current top 20, and adopted the attitude 'its what comes through the speakers that counts' how long before,A theres no current top 20? and B everybody is bored shitless?

Also at even accross the board soul nights its always nice to hear something new (although this isn't a must for me but nice if i do) is it not a case of a tune having to reach a certain popularity to warrant being booted? Which then means a DJ playing mainly 'boots' you can rest assured you aint gonna hear anything remotely fresh, just a DJ waiting for some other mug to 'break' the next 'biggie' get the boot and play it to a probably bigger audience and genuinly think its clever,

Unfortunately, i doubt theres a solution, :ohmy:

Social source share

You make it sound like a bad thing, arent you a professional vinyl pervert? :ohmy:

Yes I am but we're talking about people enjoying a night out here and if the colour of a label affects peoples ability to enjoy themselves then I think they have a problem and should see someone

Social source share

Spot On Pete :ohmy:

Social source share