• Replies 86
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'll tell you something...

THAT'S THE BEST 40 MINUTES I'VE HAD IN OVER 25 YEARS ON THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENE!!

Excuse my language... but they were F**KING INCREDIBLE...

WHAT AN HONOUR... I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!

WHOOOO HOOOO! :thumbsup:

language...what was I thinking... me a lady an all!

Edited by jumpinjoan

You're dead right Paul and Dave , just superb , " I've ben trying " was the tune for me , fantastic vocals . Very exciting atmosphere as well , only downside was having to park in the barn , and trying to escape from the cark park later !!! .Well done to Chalky and Chris and anyone else involved ,we had a great time .Best ,Eddie

absolutely awesome night n didnt scotty play a blinding set :ohmy: dont think any of the djs put a foot wrong never heard a bad tune allnight n the peps bloody brill :thumbsup::)

Edited by eddyg

Have to agree with the comments above. They were superb - vocal harmonies exceptional and still have the energy and enthusiasm to put over a great show. Good enough to play at established venues - they'd go down a storm at places like the jazz cafe.

However, as good as they were I think that the sound levels didn't do them justice - too much base from the backing music and at times they sounded slightly muffled. Wouldn't be so picky if they hadn't been so good and I hope the promoters have a look at this next month when the Metros come over. I'm having goose pimples thinking about that one.

Great music all night - thought all the djs were great - something for everyone

Warren

Guest Catfish

Mr Spratt & I had a smashing night; best night out for some time; Peps were awesome and a good mix of music played.

Agree with Warren re. volume of the backing track though. Would have been good to hear a little more Peps and a little less recorded backing. All in excellent night tho. Big shout to Warren, Karen, thanks Anton for shoving this under my nose, & nice to meet you Angie, Lettie & Rachel.

I feel surprisingly clear headed & am torn between violin practise and a walk- weather looks good so will take advantage. Dinner is in the sloooow cooker and smells diviiiiine...

What a good weekend, doesn't get much better!**

Wonderfull allnighter,it'll take a lot to beat it,Djs very very good loads of top tunes,Faboulas Peps f***ing awesome they blew me away fantastic performance.

Thanks and praise must go to Hitsville Chalky & Chris Waterman you both made an old fella very happy thanks guys......well done.

Toby..

You're dead right Paul and Dave , just superb , " I've ben trying " was the tune for me , fantastic vocals . Very exciting atmosphere as well , only downside was having to park in the barn , and trying to escape from the cark park later !!! .Well done to Chalky and Chris and anyone else involved ,we had a great time .Best ,Eddie

IVE BEEN TRYING was tune of the night, words couldn't do it justice....sublime stuff!

What a "Fabulous" night(er), right people, right DJs, RIGHT On ACT !!!

Watched them from the balcony at the back of the room so dont know what the sound was like at the front (guarding the camcorder for Chalky)

THE PEPS WERE SUPERB, but i must admit i think Steve Calloway stole the show with "Thats why i Love you" I could see the whole crowd down below Clapping, dancing and singing along to the whole song. Thunderous applause greeted every number, all in all a Very special night and once again Full credit to Chris, Marcelle and hitsville Chalky for pulling it off.

I've got some great photos, but our Windows Vista is playing up and I have to wait for the PC doctor to come around and enter the right codes before I can get the photos up.

Rob & Karen

PS a special mention to all the Smokers outside, Smoking Kills, you'll all die of Bloody Hypothermia !!!!!

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley

Well just to put my slant on things.

The atmosphere took me way back.

The expectation, anticipation, excitement and enthusiasm were so tangible you could taste them.

A genuine buzz which I haven't experienced for a long time.

The Peps were just outstanding.

There really aren't enough adjectives to describe how awesome they were.

Stand out track for me was Gypsy Woman, but I've always loved that song anyway and of course Steve Calloway 'That's why I love you'.

The whole event set standards that are going to be difficult to better.

Like Jumping Joan said ( nice to meet you by the way) Fooking Incredibe.

A night never to be forgotten.

Finally must mention Hitsville and Chris.

Without all you efforts, hard work and determination this night would not have been possible.

I for one thank you.

super night, ok a couple of minor hickups with the sound,but to see the artists enjoying pleasing the crowd was fab, what must they have looked and sounded like when they were young!!!!!!!! top marks to all involved,although i left early as i cant handle 2 niters in a weekend now......EVEN MY MISSUS ENJOYED IT, ON HER FIRST AL NITER... she said she now knows why i make the effort to go to niters!!!!!! great atmosphere from the off,and how many top collecters and djs turned up,that gives u a clue to the way it was organised,or did chris let um all in free?????????? :ohmy: joking mate, do as u please, great stuff :ohmy: ezzie

Guest Chris Waterman

Hi All,

Many thanks for your kind words, I have my laptop with me and the guys have viewed your comments and are blown away it means a lot to them and they could not get over the reaction from the crowd, Joe commented that when we had the problem with the sound jumping during the second song he lost were he was, but he looked in to the faces in front of him to see the words being mouthed back to him and it pulled him back on track. we did have have problems with the backing track which we will take on board and sort for the Metros in March, I can only echo what has been said before, these fellas delivered and some.

It has been an honour to be part of the event and the only problem we now have is how we top last night, well we will try our best come March.

Ezzie, joking aside it just showed what last night was all about when all those faces(DJs) of the scene were all under one roof and they all paid they would not have it any other way.

Again from Marcelle, Chalky, Max and myself many thanks for all who came and made it a night to remember and showed these guys the respect they turly deserve.

Chris W and Marcelle

What can I say that's not been said - echo the sentiments of all the posts so far, Messrs Rimmer and Onions used the one word that was on my lips after the Peps had finished - AWESOME ! :ohmy::P:P

Already passed on my private thanks to the people concerned for arranging and giving me the opportunity to share in a unique moment in soul history and I'm still buzzing.

I positioned myself centre stage to sample this experience to the fullest and was treated to my own little private show from artistes i never thought I would see and to do it 10 feet from their presence and within 7 minutes of my home is something that I never imagined in my wildest dreams all those years ago. no.gif

Although the Stables were rammed I felt that I was in my own little bubble as the band fed from the enthusiasm from the punters and raised their own performance even more - how many others felt that shiver down the spine as the opening bars to "With these eyes" commenced ? or were unable to stop their feet automatically moving as "Gypsy Woman" slid its way into their ears.

After an encore of "With these eyes" - I slid out for a smoke to reflect on how priviledged I has been to witness the show - and the only down side is that it's gonna cost me a lot more for a copy of GW I imagine in the next few weeks :D

The rest of the evening was top notch too and I could empathise totally with Hitsville Chalky as he announced the band, his passion and love of this music shining thru as he saw the culmination of his dreams.

Socially, it was great to see the Bangor Soul crowd down at the Stables for their first visit, one which they are keen to repeat - though this time without the detour the wrong way up the M6, and great to chat all too fleetingly to folks from all over the country ( and Europe - I forgot the introduction to the lad from Sweden)

Never did get to look inside Rob Wigley's box - I'm told he had a packed lunch and car keys - and I was too skint to buy any records anyway shades.gif

Cemented my resolution to find a day job in 2008 - I'm not getting any younger and need my soul fix and shifts just get in the way - off to buy a lottery ticket now and roll on the Metros thumbsup.gif

Keep it real

Wulfie

Edited by Wulfie09

Guess who came for tea ?

post-1175-1201454170_thumb.jpg

post-1175-1201454205_thumb.jpg

and I can only say what a privelege it was to meet the guys, and just listen to them talk. Not only are they fabulous entertainers, they are also genuinely nice guys, who were absolutely blown away by their first trip to the UK.

They all said they can't wait to come back to do another show for all their fans in the UK.

They left about ten minutes ago on their way to get their tea: Fish, chips, and mushy peas. Well they couldn't come all this way and not have fish and chips could they !

post-1175-1201454170_thumb.jpg

post-1175-1201454205_thumb.jpg

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said...it was indeed a top performance from three genuinely wonderful guys who seemed as blown away by our appreciation for their music as we were by their performance.

Think Steve said something along the lines that there was more love for their music in that one venue than the whole of the USA.

I should imagine they will be back, and will probably play at one of the big weekenders in front of a much larger audience......but for me, the show they put on for 300+ last night will be one that I will never forget. :P

It seemed as though there was a sea of mobiles filming it throughout, so presume quite a few will end up on youtube.

As for the few slight hiccups with sound levels....to me thats part and parcel of a live performance.

Only leaves me to thank the guys for the billion goosebumps they gave me last night.....Fabulous stuff indeed. :ohmy:

Big thanks and much respect to Chris, Marcelle, Max, and Hitsville Chalky for all the time, effort and finances that they put into giving us the chance to witness such a show. You must all be very proud of what you achieved thumbsup.gif

Well I've been waiting to see these guys for 35 years ever since I bought a copy of I'll never be the same again in 1971/2. it was well worth the wait absolutely fantastic performance PLEASE get these guys on again one of the best live performances and range of vocals I've heard for ages on par with the Precisions performance at Prestatyn. A performance full of energy and zest and they too must have been blown away by the crowd's appreciation of this set.

Much credit must go to my mate Chalky pulling out all the stops to get the Peps into the UK and for Chris in promoting the event and not to forget all the DJs who played some great sounds all night.

Big bonus I also got my other 4 peps records signed by Joe FANTASTIC*********** biggrin.gif

Thanks Chalky

GAZ LEES- GOODTIMES SOUL CLUB WOLVERHAMPTON

[

Never did get to look inside Rob Wigley's box - I'm told he had a packed lunch and car keys - and I was too skint to buy any records anyway :ohmy:

Keep it real

Wulfie

Hi Wulfie

nice to see you there

Conents of 50 box--about 18 records--1 pair of glasses-camera-Bridlington tickets--half a dozen plastic bags--2 centres--remants of flyers-a copy of on the scene--half a dozen bits of paper with addresses on-some cards and a half eaten cheese and pickle sandwich i found under dave Rimmers stall !!! thumbsup.gif

God bless you all !

Guest Scarborosoul

sad.gif:ohmy::P:P

As Chris knows ive not been overgood lately. ive only got one sentence after seeing this report:

HOW FECKING SICK AM I????

FECKING GUTTED!!!!!

RICK

Many thanks guys for the kind coments . The lads have just eaten their Fish and chips after coming Back from Dave Rimmers so thanks for the lending of the tripod Dave so least I could do, anyway going back out tonight for the last night and few beers with The others who have also made them feel welcome over and met them each night Suzy ( Mom) Phil , and Dawny and Craig aswell Bill Randle , Glad everyone enjoyed the show and on the way to the venue as they was singing in the car I wish I could have taken a picture of Phil Richards face who was totally gob smacked.

Many thanks guys for the kind coments . The lads have just eaten their Fish and chips after coming Back from Dave Rimmers so thanks for the lending of the tripod Dave so least I could do, anyway going back out tonight for the last night and few beers with The others who have also made them feel welcome over and met them each night Suzy ( Mom) Phil , and Dawny and Craig aswell Bill Randle , Glad everyone enjoyed the show and on the way to the venue as they was singing in the car I wish I could have taken a picture of Phil Richards face who was totally gob smacked.

Hiya Chalky Son,

What a fantastic 4 days we have had with Joe, Steve, Trey~what a great bunch of guys and we would'nt have traded it for all the money in the world.

Will do a write up tomorrow with loads of piccies of our 4 days together~Thanks Chalky Son, For the expierience of a lifetime.

Just having a bite to eat and will catch you and the Peps in a little while.

Suzy (mom) & Phil xx

Yes Phil was blown away listening to Steve's track, That's why i love you in the back of the car. thumbup.gif

xxxx

Edited by Suzy

Was an Excellant niter...this being my first visit to the Stables..was not disapointed at all ..great friendly atmosphere., all DJ spots well and truly thought out and i dont think i heard any repeats..the Fantastic Peps had the same effect on me as the Masqueraders did, the first time they performed in Britain.....hairs standing on end.....can i just say thanks to all those involved in organising this epic event...absolutely brill...luverly meeting up with the people i know and speaking to people new....looking forward to going here again.....all in all...bloody fantaastic!!!!!!!!......Delxx

The allnighter ~ FANTASTIC ~ thumbsup.gif But the ~ FABULOUS PEPS ~ AWESOME!!!!!! :ohmy: Much appreciation!!!..... Goes out to all involved in getting these guys over!!! :P

JB & Martin xxxxxxx

AWESOME!! IS A GOOD WAY TO START!!

MY NIGHT BEGAN EARLIER IN THE DAY WHEN CHALKY

BOUGHT STEVE TO SAY HELLO!! WOW! HOW PLEASED

WAS I TO BE ABLE TO HAVE A PERSONAL CHAT WITH

A GUY WHOSE MONSTER RECORD I FIRST PLAYED BACK

IN 1972,THE BOND OF RESPECT BETWEEN TWO TOTAL STRANGERS

WITH ONE COMMON LOVE! WAS SO SO STRONG,WE HAD A REALLY

GREAT CHIN-WAG ABOUT THINGS THAT I WANTED TO KNOW, &

AS STEVE TOLD ME THE VARIOUS ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS

THINGS BECAME MUCH CLEARER TO ME,THANK YOU STEVE! FOR A

MEETING THE WILL STAY WITH ME FOREVER!!

I HAVE OWNED RECORDS BY THE "PEPS" FOR 40 YEARS!! YES A LIFETIME

I KNOW!! THAT'S WHAT MADE SEEING THESE GUY'S COME OVER FROM

THE U.S.A TO PERFORM IN MY OWN BACK YARD SO VERY SPECIAL!!

THE MOMENT! THE NIGHT! THE JAW-DROPPING AWE OF IT WILL

LIVE WITH ME FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!"

MY SINCERE THANKS GO OUT TO OUR VERY OWN "HITSVILLE CHALKY"

WHO FOR A LONG TIME HAS HAD THIS DREAM OF BRINGING THE "PEPS"

THE THIS LITTLE OLD COUNTRY!! A DREAM COME TRUE!! CHALKY MATE

THANKS ALSO GO OUT TO "CHRIS WATERMAN" FOR HAVING THE FAITH

TO PULL THE WHOLE THING TOGETHER & GIVE US A TOTALLY MIND-BLOWING

NIGHT NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN!!!!!

"THE FABULOUS PEPS" MUSICAL PERFECTION"

THANKS TO ALL THE DJ'S WHO KEPT THINGS GOING!! ALL IN ALL A TOTALLY

BRILLIANT NIGHT!!!!!!!

MAX

Hiya Chalky Son,

What a fantastic 4 days we have had with Joe, Steve, Trey~what a great bunch of guys and we would'nt have traded it for all the money in the world.

Will do a write up tomorrow with loads of piccies of our 4 days together~Thanks Chalky Son, For the expierience of a lifetime.

Just having a bite to eat and will catch you and the Peps in a little while.

Suzy (mom) & Phil xx

Yes Phil was blown away listening to Steve's track, That's why i love you in the back of the car. :thumbup:

xxxx

Hi Suzy Joe pep here see you in 10 mins.

Totally wonderful night with Joe , steve and Trey giving an awsome performance not only vocally but visually as well with a great stage presence.

Special thanks to Chris and Hitsville Chalky for arranging this special night as I know all the hard work that goes into putting a night like this together from beginning to end which most of goes un noticed. And all this for just £15.00. You both deserve medals.

Also a big thanks to Dave Rimmer who fixed us a with a lift home with his lad after we had been waiting around 3 hours outside in the cold for a taxi that never turned up , and thanks also Dave for the health advice as such a small change can make such a difference to ones lifestyle. Cheers mate :rolleyes:

Guest melandthensome

:lol: Man was I pissed off missing out on this.

Couldnt sort a lift out in time....and was well up for it even with a bad ear infection..... :rolleyes:

STORY OF MY LIFE....

:lol:

What can I say that hasn't already been said.... The Fabulous Peps, fabulous....the two tracks mentioned throughout this thread where certainly given an excellent rendition by the Peps...when the bass voice came in on the line...' To understand why, can't I be your only man'...phew, even the hairs on my balding head stood up......on the floor, tune of the night for me The Sharpees, 'I'm So Tired of Being Lonely' it sounded so good, thanks Karl, I've dug my President copy out....all the DJs did the business and kept the floor working right to the end as Scotty took it to storming close...as it should be....a cracking night then and Annie doing her first nighter for quite a while had a great night too.thanks to my main man Ezzie for getting us there :rolleyes: ...... well worth it

Guest bdesoul

Travelled up from Watford and met up with Gas Lees Garry and Bridget. This was a night that had blinding written all over it from the time I first heard the Peps were going to perform in the UK. All the DJ's who were on before and after the Peps helped to set the night and the atmosphere and the expectations were high "WE WERE NOT DISSAPOINTED!". The Peps were absolutely blinding. I think it was during their last number that my voice packed up and the knees decided they had had enough during Scotty's spot. Good Music, good friends/mates and brilliant acts. The dedication and time spent by all the organisers and DJ's in getting the right venues, choosing the records to play and making sure that everything goes off without a hitch deserves our undying gratitude. Exceptional, long may it continue .Now "Bring on the Metros!" :shhh::lol::lol::yes:

Brian De-Honri

What a "Fabulous" night(er), right people, right DJs, RIGHT On ACT !!!

Watched them from the balcony at the back of the room so dont know what the sound was like at the front (guarding the camcorder for Chalky)

THE PEPS WERE SUPERB, but i must admit i think Steve Calloway stole the show with "Thats why i Love you" I could see the whole crowd down below Clapping, dancing and singing along to the whole song. Thunderous applause greeted every number, all in all a Very special night and once again Full credit to Chris, Marcelle and hitsville Chalky for pulling it off.

I've got some great photos, but our Windows Vista is playing up and I have to wait for the PC doctor to come around and enter the right codes before I can get the photos up.

Rob & Karen

PS a special mention to all the Smokers outside, Smoking Kills, you'll all die of Bloody Hypothermia !!!!!

Hi Rob And Karen Thanks mate Pm your Details I will do you a Copy.

A fantastic night which was a perfect b'day pressie for me personally.

The Peps/Professionals were, as expected, so enthusiastic and up for this show and even when it was evident that their voices were weakening, shone through with their smiles and an indication that they had given their all for their die hard British fans.

I have to take my hat off to Hitsville Chalky's constant drive to not only achieve his own dream but to fulfil the needs and requirements of the crowd and those of Trey, Steve and Joe's throughout their visit.

Last but not least the tiresome and incessant hard work of Marcelle & Chris should not go unnoticed - I think all of the guys/artists deserve a couple of days off to recup.!!

Musically I thought there was something for everyone and with that here's my playlist (5-6)

Lorraine Chandler - I can't hold on

Soulville All-Stars - Nobody to blame (but myself)

Betti Lou & Bobbi Adams - Dr Truelove

Kelly Brothers - Crying days are over

Carl Underwood - Ain't you lying

Roscoe Robinson - What makes a man do wrong

Contours - Jealousy (requested)

Bobby Angelle - Too much for you

Jesse Fisher - Your not loving a beginner

Sound Masters - Lonely lonely

Summits - Sophisticated Lady (requested)

Art Benton - Sweet loving (requested)

Sam Dees - Lonely for you baby - alt cut

Big Frank & the Essences - I won't see her cry

Milton Bennett- Whats one more lie

Artistics - Love song

El Anthony - We've been in love too long

Marvin L Sims - Get off my back

Lou Courtney - You can give your love to me (requested)

Lou Courtney - Me & you doin the boogaloo

Timmy Thomas - Where there's a will

Lou Lawton - I am searching (for my baby)

Jackie Ross - Trust in me

Minzi Berry - Dont you dare to cry

Well... I've got up this morning... and I'M STILL BUZZING!

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE NIGHT!!

It wasn't only the live show that was out of this world... but the WHOLE NIGHT.

From the minute you walked in.... there was a buzz about the place that I hadn't felt at an allniter for years.

It was like a static charge in the air... an anticipation that something fantastic was about to happen...

AND BOY DID IT EVER!

So full credit to EVERYONE who was in the Stables Saturday night...

.... because that's what an allnighter should feel like... :lol:

Source Advert