Hickory - Barbara Mills - Queen Of Fools

45cellar

Hickory_45-1323a_DJ-1.gif The Original has Large Font Title - (DEMO & Stock Copy)

Hickory_45-1323a.gif This one is the second as it has Small Title and Recording First Published 1965

Top one "painted dessert"

Bottom "shapiro"

Social source share

i had the demo years ago sold it in a job lot what does it sell for now?

and what does the stock go for?

chris :rolleyes:4l417og.gif

Hi Chris

According to Manships 3rd Edition

£50 = Original White DEMO

£50 = Original Stock Copy

I'm not sure what the current Values are.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Ken

Yes, you're right, I'm not sure why they did that.

I've also got an original issue with Painted Desert on the 'Queen of Fools' side but on the flip side it says Acuff Rose.

Why the different names? What do they signify? Different music publishers for each side?

update: answering my own question..

Acuff Rose was the publishing company from Nashville Tennesee that also ran Hickory.

Painted Desert is part of Shapiro, Berstein and Co Inc. which explains why the original is Painted Desert and later it is Shapiro. It later took on the umbrella publishing company name.

Here's Shapiro Berstein's site https://www.shapirobernstein.com/mbr/welcome.html

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I've also got an original issue with Painted Desert on the 'Queen of Fools' side but on the flip side it says Acuff Rose.

Why the different names? What do they signify? Different music publishers for each side?

update: answering my own question..

Acuff Rose was the publishing company from Nashville Tennesee that also ran Hickory.

Painted Desert is part of Shapiro, Berstein and Co Inc. which explains why the original is Painted Desert and later it is Shapiro. It later took on the umbrella publishing company name.

Here's Shapiro Berstein's site https://www.shapirobernstein.com/mbr/welcome.html

Thanks Matt

Incredible Information, I think that we've now covered just about everything about the release.

All in a couple of hours or so, Amazing. Just what this forum is about. :thumbsup:

Social source share

thats not an alternate white demo. its a white issue. It also came out on a black issue and

a pink issue here in th uk. all with push out 4 prong centers. the demo has a full center.

thats 4 original uk variations. Not bad for a rare record is it :)

dave

Hi Dave

I've a copy of Bread and Butter on Black with a Blue Hickory Rainbow Logo.

Seen many on Pink Label. I also have Run Baby Run on White Hickory Stock Copy.

I didn't know that some had been released on all designs.

As you say, not bad for such a Rare record as Queen Of Fools to appear on 4 Original Variations.

Be good to see scans of the other label variations for Barbara Mills.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

A different Boot to the one put up,

post-2848-1205438331_thumb.jpg

Dave f..........

your is painted dessert mines is shapiro bernstein, it's all rather confusing :lol:

Social source share

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On 4/22/2010 at 11:55, 45cellar said:

Here's the Vinyl Original + Matrix

Hickory_45-1323a_DJ-1-1.gif

hello, longtime lurker first time poster. I just found a copy with the above matrix but with a star, anyone ever seen one like this? great record btw. thanks

Edited by ez
Social source share

• 2 years later...
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2008 at 15:17, Sebastian said:

The "small title" issue copy above was actually booted from the UK copy (it has got the exact same information and typesetting):

post-1392-1201965371_thumb.jpg

Then there's this alternative UK white demo! :rolleyes:

post-1392-1201965404_thumb.jpg

I used to have a UK issue, it had  Return to BBC Library  stamped on it in purple ink 

Social source share

• 3 years later...
On 14/01/2022 at 17:44, SX150 said:

I have an Advanced Pressing Acetate on PYE - not a 1975 reissue - anyone else know about this ?

Hickory were pressed and distributed by Pye back in the 60's from from 1964 to around November 1966, so Queen of Fools would come into this timeframe

Edited by rotherham soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 15/01/2022 at 17:02, SX150 said:

Thanks, so this will pre-date the UK Hickory release...any idea of value ?

if its a pye advance it could well be a pre release to the original uk hickory copy and will be worth quite a bit.. uk hickory were distributed by decca and issued over here on london from 1969

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!