Fairground Soul

After reading a thread on here the term "fairground soul " was mentioned

so anyone like to add tunes to a list of farirground soul that reminds them of the fairground

I will start by adding

Wherever I lay my hat / Marvin Gaye

Be my baby / The Ronettes

Homely girl /The chi-lites

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

1972 and 1973, all our local fairground used to play was reggae, which is probably how I got into it so heavily. 1974 it all changed and they played soul, I was gutted...but I remember the records they played over and over again were Two Can Have A Party by marvin & Tammi and Feel The Need In Me by Detroit Emeralds. Oh, and The Locomotion by Little Eva for some reason.

Social source share

1972 and 1973, all our local fairground used to play was reggae, which is probably how I got into it so heavily. 1974 it all changed and they played soul, I was gutted...but I remember the records they played over and over again were Two Can Have A Party by marvin & Tammi and Feel The Need In Me by Detroit Emeralds. Oh, and The Locomotion by Little Eva for some reason.

Pete

Yeah I do remember Little Eva being played

but obviously the fairgrounds travelled so it could be different by location in the country

Social source share

Knock three times used to get plenty of plays round the bolton and leigh fairs early seventies.

My mum loved that record I hated it with avengence

Very Very overplayed at that time!

Who sang it????

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Oh bugger!!........ Pete speaking of reggae at fairgrounds

do you remember

Lie down girl????very rude tune :thumbsup:

Im sure I remember this tune from the fair

its on trojan label too ( I think )

Social source share

Oh bugger!!........ Pete speaking of reggae at fairgrounds

do you remember

Lie down girl????very rude tune :thumbsup:

Im sure I remember this tune from the fair

its on trojan label too ( I think )

Yeah that was very popular - it's actually Wet Dream by Max Romeo (Unity label) actually made the top 20 in 69 with no airplay whatsoever.

Social source share

Little Eva charted in July '72, I remember it being played to death when the fair visited that summer

Social source share

Nice thread Mand,

I certainly remember the hold back the nite track :yes: , Freda Paines band of Gold, Heaven must be missing an angel, Woolly bully, some great ronnie specter stuff ... the supremes stuff, some early reggie ska sounds, the glam rock stuff too, a nice bit of T Rex's Get it On and Jeepster.... ah the memories, we used to spend all nite hanging round on the aisles of the walzers just posing :D in yer best gear , the waltzers always had the best tunes and the best sound system...nice and loud (well I suppose they had to drown out the screams....what was it they used to say ''the louder you scream the faster you go'' Plus another good side the blokes that used to spin 'em were always better lookin and fitter wub.gif

Social source share

Nice thread Mand,

I certainly remember the hold back the nite track :yes: , Freda Paines band of Gold, Heaven must be missing an angel, Woolly bully, some great ronnie specter stuff ... the supremes stuff, some early reggie ska sounds, the glam rock stuff too, a nice bit of T Rex's Get it On and Jeepster.... ah the memories, we used to spend all nite hanging round on the aisles of the walzers just posing :D in yer best gear , the waltzers always had the best tunes and the best sound system...nice and loud (well I suppose they had to drown out the screams....what was it they used to say ''the louder you scream the faster you go'' Plus another good side the blokes that used to spin 'em were always better lookin and fitter wub.gif

Dawny!!

MY god girl you just made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck

Are you sure we didnt go to the fair together??

LOL @ the blokes who used to spin on the waltzer

A mate of mine copped off with one called Sal he gave her a lovely dose of crabs she'll never forget the dirty scumbag!!!

and yes they did have the best sound system too like a mobile disco

Mand xxx :D

Social source share

Dawny!!

MY god girl you just made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck

Are you sure we didnt go to the fair together??

LOL @ the blokes who used to spin on the waltzer

A mate of mine copped off with one called Sal he gave her a lovely dose of crabs she'll never forget the dirty scumbag!!!

and yes they did have the best sound system too like a mobile disco

Mand xxx :lol:

lol Mand.... the crabs laugh.gif:yes: I was a Waltzer Junkie.... I liked the bits when it used to go all dark just the muisc and the rolling of the machines :D

I can remember one lad who was drop dead georgeous, he had the most amazing feather cut, think he saw me more of a little sister rather than a potential crab inspector :D as I was a tad younger but still got lots of hugs much to my mates dismay :lol:

Social source share

About 1970-71 when Thurston's fair rolled into Irthlingborough, Tighten Up Volume 2 was played on a loop on the Octupus! You could always hear the music wafting on the warm Summer air ages before before you could actually see the fair. Mind you you could smell dodgy burger and onions before you even heard the music! laugh.gif

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

The tams - Hey Girl.. and anything by Chairmen Of The Board always remind me of the speedway at Tuby's fair.

The sayings were "Scream if you wanna go faster" and "Hold tight and lean to the right."

Couldn't handle the waltzer hypo.gif

Social source share

Love train, Armed and extremely dangerous, Hold back the night are ones that always used to get played alongside things like Feel the need in me.

Also heard L J Reynolds & Chocolate syrup - the Phil Lowman thingy - Penguin Breakdown - one of the first true northern things I heard at a fair as a kid.

Social source share

at the mid-lent travelling fair in stamford in 1974 the goldfish bowl stall gave away copies of spyder turner - i can't make it any more on mgm, kim weston - i got what you want - mgm and troy keyes - if i had my way as CONSELLATION prizes for those that didn't win a gold fish!!!!!!!

Social source share

Chi-lites, the moments and wotnots, of course the tams and hey girl :boxing: , double barrel, TSOP stuff,Earth Wind and Fire, anything by Donna Summer (cos we were girlies)

best behaviour at school every day for a week cos the fair was here and ya didnt want to get a detention, washing up and all the mundane chores to gain extra cash from yer mum and of course best behaviour there too so ya wouldnt be grounded!!! used to nearly kill me..lol :thumbsup:

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

Chi-lites, the moments and wotnots, of course the tams and hey girl smile.gif , double barrel, TSOP stuff,Earth Wind and Fire, anything by

Dead right on Double Barrel and Monkey Spanner - Dave & Ansil Collins Fairground legends... used to BANG outta those speakers!

Jackie Wilson's "Sweetest Feeling" always reminds me of the Waltzer (and a lovely little Skinhead Bird called Jane... who I still never quite got over!)

:boxing:

Think it was the sheepskin coat!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Yeah that was very popular - it's actually Wet Dream by Max Romeo (Unity label) actually made the top 20 in 69 with no airplay whatsoever.

as kids we used to go into the record shop and ask the old bag to play this she really used to flip out, 'its banned its banned its disgusting ...get out of the shop, it was great fun :thumbsup:

Social source share

as kids we used to go into the record shop and ask the old bag to play this she really used to flip out, 'its banned its banned its disgusting ...get out of the shop, it was great fun :boxing:

Old bag !! :thumbsup:

Social source share

On Night Feed Sean yes.gif

Not Trying To Get Your VISA Stamped for the weekend by any chance mate :D

If the weather we have had this week is anything to go by, you will need that sheepskin in YARMUFF....... Don't know about the skinhead though :thumbsup:

The Bulmeister :boxing:

Social source share

The tams - Hey Girl.. and anything by Chairmen Of The Board always remind me of the speedway at Tuby's fair.

The sayings were "Scream if you wanna go faster" and "Hold tight and lean to the right." Couldn't handle the waltzer :thumbsup:

So that is where Ray Vonn out of Phoenix Nights got the sayings from laugh.gif ........

The only fairground sounds that I can recall hearing are " Coconut Shy Guy " - Johnny Baker and " You Didn't Say a Wurlizer " - Yvonne Baker...........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

at the mid-lent travelling fair in stamford in 1974 the goldfish bowl stall gave away copies of spyder turner - i can't make it any more on mgm, kim weston - i got what you want - mgm and troy keyes - if i had my way as CONSELLATION prizes for those that didn't win a gold fish!!!!!!!

Hey it wasn't "Dobsons" fair was it because they gave those away at our fair too, along with hundreds of copies of "Cindy Incidentally" by The Faces!

Social source share

Thanks you guys

This really has made me chuckle

Class :thumbup:

I do however relate more to Dawns version

Got my arse kicked because an older mate of mine could stay out later than me so she turned her watch back I was on 11pm curfew

12 o clock my mother comes stormin on to the waltzer and drags me off by the hood of my jacket :wicked:

never forget moments like that whistling.gif

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

at my age 27 i have gone round the fair lately when it comes and heard so many soul and disco tunes but you tend to hear stuff like

Billie Jean, Car Wash, And the Beat Goes On, you know the sort of tunes maybe a bit of Motown

Social source share

In the fifties/early sixties there were only two places where you could hear records being played loud. In a coffee bar with a juke box and a youth friendly owner and at the fairgrounds. They initially used ex army/airforce amplifiers and cinema speakers. Prior to that the loud music came from steam and then diesel powered calliopes (Check being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite on Sergeant pepper)

If people had a record player at home it was either a wind up 78 player fed through a valve radio or a half a watt Dansette. Carnival ride owners knew their market and some of the guys (and gals) must have been the earliest form of mobile DJs. In the States som e records appeared to be tailor made but were probably just inspired by the rides like Palisade Parks by Freddie Cannon. I always thought Del Shannon sounded best at the carnival.

Social source share

In the fifties/early sixties there were only two places where you could hear records being played loud. In a coffee bar with a juke box and a youth friendly owner and at the fairgrounds. They initially used ex army/airforce amplifiers and cinema speakers. Prior to that the loud music came from steam and then diesel powered calliopes (Check being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite on Sergeant pepper)

If people had a record player at home it was either a wind up 78 player fed through a valve radio or a half a watt Dansette. Carnival ride owners knew their market and some of the guys (and gals) must have been the earliest form of mobile DJs. In the States som e records appeared to be tailor made but were probably just inspired by the rides like Palisade Parks by Freddie Cannon. I always thought Del Shannon sounded best at the carnival.

Hiya Frank!! thumbsup.gif

OOO runaway ..loved that tune ..have it on vinyl somewhere

and who sang that tune listen to "the rythmn of the rain"

lyrics go

"listen to the rythmn of the pourin rain tellin me just what fool Ive been"

and what becomes of the broken hearted / jimmy ruffin

ah sweet memories!!

I bought the big wheels of motown LP that had some class tunes on it

Mand :D

Social source share

Noahs Ark and the Waltzer at Ticklecocks fair in Conisbrough around 76/77/78 there must have been a few Northern influenced DJs on the decks as it was common to hear Ed Crookes 'Thats Alright' and Roscoe Robinsons 'Thats Enough' plus the usual chart stuff like Young Hearts Run Free and It only takes a minute girl etc etc. Then again, when they pitched it at the back of the Lord Conyers, it was on sacred ground being across from the former 'Disc' Youth Club and Conyers soul nights.

It was also a great place to show off your latest made to measures.

Happy daze.

Ed

Social source share

must ave been same gaff that came round our way ,with the max romeo reggae tunes also used to give us the judge dread rude big 6..7..8 etc catalouge along with rupie edwards

ire feeling and the cimarons kick me routine.....must admit though i still enjoy listening to the judge dread instrumental "b" sides especially "one armed bandit" on the reverse of big 6

and mind the doors on reverse of big 8 aptly played on the ghost train..scarey!

Social source share

"so let the side show begin honey honey step right on in .................guaranteed to make you cry

is this included in the lyrics???

Pete I have no sound at the mo
:lol:

my pc went tits up had to wipe the hard drive lost the speaker drivers

Pop reggae cover of a Blue Magic soul hit ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Many of the tunes previously mentioned were heard at the fair in Longford Park in Stretford year after year, especially Del Shannon, Dave & Ansell Collins, Max Romeo and Judge Dread. Others that were regulars were:

You're Ready Now - Frankie Valli,

Lets Dance - Chris Montez,

Mony Mony - Tommy James & the Shondells,

Hey Girl Come and Get it - The Stylistics,

and *whispers* The Snake

Happy days :lol::lol::P

Social source share

The one record that I always remember was Tammi Lynn 'I'm gonna run away from you'...

cool thread! :lol:

Social source share

Guest mcleanmuir

About 1970-71 when Thurston's fair rolled into Irthlingborough, Tighten Up Volume 2 was played on a loop on the Octupus! You could always hear the music wafting on the warm Summer air ages before before you could actually see the fair. Mind you you could smell dodgy burger and onions before you even heard the music! :lol:

The Pioneers - Longshot Kick De Bucket

Rudy Mills - John Jones

King Stitt - Fire Corner

The Soul Sisters - Wreck A Buddy

Dandy - Reggae In Your Jeggae

Clancy Eccles - Fattie Fattie

The Upsetters - Return Of Django

The Kingstonians - Sufferer

Joya Landis - Moonlight Lover

The Bleechers - Come Into My Parlour

The Soulmates - Them A Laugh And A Kiki

The Upsetters - Live Injection *