Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Guest James Trouble

James

I have never thought that the amount of hits Ian's topic as had is because every one agrees with what he is saying! You only have to read the post to see that is not the case; If Mike had any issues with Ian about anything to do with his forum I'm sure Ian would not be back.

I for one welcome him back we all can learn from is vast knowledge of the music we all love i just hope he is not kicked of this site replying to posts like the one you have posted, I was a bit suprised at you post to be honest and like befor find it very sad.

Steve J

Look, Steve, seriously, he is the one claiming that all these hits on these threads and the hits on youtube are a good thing. That's the only reason I've posted, I felt I wanted to put him straight. The way I see it is that these hits are morbid facination. It's human nature, folk want to see the blood, the carnage, the hair pulling. I think Ian Levine should realise it's nothing more than that.

I'd like to think he contributes to the site in a constructive way and leaves his ego to one side, but I'm pretty sure most folk want to see the carnage, really, let's be honest...

I'm also VERY sceptical of his 3million hit thing anyway. This is interesting: https://www.scriptlance.com/projects/1208449751.shtml and this https://3d2f.com/programs/19-867-fake-hits-...-download.shtml , actually, there's lots of ways to generate hits very quickly on youtube, these were the top two after a quick google search.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Saying you can't or never likeing all kinds of soul music in my book is not correct

Steve J

Did he actually say this or just imply it?

like you I appreciate a wide spectrum of black music - everything from my stormers to new releases - in the latter camp both the better house records and some indie CDs - and a whole load in between, including deep soul, beat ballads, funk, 70s 80s 90s etc. And then ironically I'm called "narrow minded" by a guy who dismisses everything with less than 135 bpm as "rubbish".

I think the comment "if you like the stuff played at Stafford you probably won't like my CD" - is key here. Ian's view of Northern is largely based on uptempo 60s sounds of the style played early Mecca / WIgan, when in reality NS has a rich history beyond those venues and the tunes they played (late Wigan, Stafford, 100, Lifeline etc), and a much wider variety of musical styles (i.e not just based on Motown type stuff), which he seemingly refuses to accept.

Northern is a scene that has evolved over the years and northern sounds cannot be pidgeon holed into a fixed style. Of course Ian missed all that because he had already proclaimed northern as being dead in 1976 and had moved on to pastures new etc etc.

The two issues I had / have with Ian that I am aware of are:

1) his calling what he does today as "NS" - he knows I don't agree with that, and was critical of his NS 2007 CD, not because of the musical content, but because of the assumption (his) that you can create CDs full of NS today - I just don't see it as authentic, and it's all about what is "Northern Soul" - a style of music that anyone can make, anytime, or a scene based on recordings from a genre and a period in time - he and I disagree on that and will forever.

2) the rubbish about David Rhodes, Venecia Wilson etc being real records, which has been done to death now, and which he eventually fessed up on.

For the record I will buy his new DVD of re-recordings because I want to see these folks singing their songs.

I hope there is reasoned debate on this thread - so far I am seeing little evidence of it, we'll see.......

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Look, Steve, seriously, he is the one claiming that all these hits on these threads and the hits on youtube are a good thing. That's the only reason I've posted, I felt I wanted to put him straight. The way I see it is that these hits are morbid facination. It's human nature, folk want to see the blood, the carnage, the hair pulling. I think Ian Levine should realise it's nothing more than that.

I'd like to think he contributes to the site in a constructive way and leaves his ego to one side, but I'm pretty sure most folk want to see the carnage, really, let's be honest...

I'm also VERY sceptical of his 3million hit thing anyway. This is interesting: https://www.scriptlance.com/projects/1208449751.shtml

If Ian chooses to think having all the hits on here or YouTube where a vote in his favour that would be up to him but i cant see him thinking like that at all, What he is saying is three million hit is something of an achievement by any standards no matter the content of the page and he as every right to if he wants to shout it from the roof tops.

James you say you would like to think Ian made a positive contribution to this forum well a good place to start would be by giving Ian a chance to contribute, I would have to look back in the post to see when the first post was having a pop at Ian by anyone but I'm betting it was not long after he rejoined S/S! cast the first stone and all that.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

If Ian chooses to think having all the hits on here or YouTube where a vote in his favour that would be up to him but i cant see him thinking like that at all, What he is saying is three million hit is something of an achievement by any standards no matter the content of the page and he as every right to if he wants to shout it from the roof tops.

James you say you would like to think Ian made a positive contribution to this forum well a good place to start would be by giving Ian a chance to contribute, I would have to look back in the post to see when the first post was having a pop at Ian by anyone but I'm betting it was not long after he rejoined S/S! cast the first stone and all that.

Steve J

I couldn't care much for who threw the first stone. I'm saying everyone is here to see the car crash.

The controversial thing I am saying is that his 3 million hits are fake, and at best everyone should be sceptical of them. I think he is pretending they are real. A bit like those dummies that Will Smith sets up in that I Am Hero film. For those who havn't seen the film, Will Smith is alone in a city infested with zombies who want to eat him (that'll be soul-source members), so to make himself feel less lonely he sets up lots of dummies around the city, so when he goes out in the day (that'll be the saftey of cyberspace that Ian controls and not the nighttime horror that is soul-source) he can talk to them, like they are real, it makes him feel he is leading a normal life and people care about him. But he starts to go a bit mad, and thinks they are real, gets angry with them, chats them up etc.

The film ends with Will Smith blowing himself up with hand grenade (sorry for spoiling the end of this thread for everyone :thumbup: ).

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

well a good place to start would be by giving Ian a chance to contribute, I would have to look back in the post to see when the first post was having a pop at Ian by anyone but I'm betting it was not long after he rejoined S/S! cast the first stone and all that.

Steve J

Maybe time to get that short term memory loss checked out Steve :thumbup: - quote from Ian yesterday:

"It's those few I see - Tomangoes, Pikey's Dog, Steve Guarnori, Mark Bicknell, Jumping Joan, Black And White, etc etc etc, who are so possessive of their unique scene of rare records and soul collectors, that they deny the music any chance to exist in another thirty years".

Ian does have a chance to contribute - he has his own thread on here ffs and is contributing to it regularly!

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

i know wil collins came later i just said i think it changed the scene as much as the carstairs did in a similar way. it took a year and half for wil collins to break cos it was such a different sound,and opened the door for other "modern" soul records. it actually spawned the breakaway modern soul scene that was/is in existance today.

Come on Colly, think back to the playlists from most clubs around 1976, we are both old enough :thumbup: Cleethorpes and Samanthas were far more upfront playing new and recent releases. Will Collins wasn't a scene changing record just a progression of what had gone before. I am sure Frank on here can remember such records as he was responsible for many of them.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Maybe time to get that short term memory loss checked out Steve :thumbup: - quote from Ian yesterday:

"It's those few I see - Tomangoes, Pikey's Dog, Steve Guarnori, Mark Bicknell, Jumping Joan, Black And White, etc etc etc, who are so possessive of their unique scene of rare records and soul collectors, that they deny the music any chance to exist in another thirty years".

Ian does have a chance to contribute - he has his own thread on here ffs and is contributing to it regularly!

:D Steve it's not just the short term that needs checking mate :)

I was thinkin more on the topic of soul contributions than handbags Steve i'm looking folward to the post's that distribute Ian's knowlede of soul music and the past Blackpool Mecca days.

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

She gave me her own album but it did nothing for me.

I LOVE the stuff I did with her though.

As I said earlier, I make records to please myself, so every scintilla of my own personal musical taste goes into them.

If you like classic old style Northern, like The Charades, Alexander Patton, Sandy Wynns, Bob Relf, then my productions and songs are for you.

If you like Stafford style Northern then you'll never like what I do anyway.

I still love a bit of Disco too, but I didn't enjoy my own "Disco 2008" album not a fraction as much as I enjoyed both "Northern Soul 2007" and "Northern Soul 2008", and nothing in this world can replace the thrill of actually creating them. I work fast and intensely, and they take shape very quickly and when they gell together it's like a musical orgasm.

Hi again Ian,

Must admit to preferring Vanessa Haynes more contemporary releases but I'm sure we both agree on one thing, she's got a great voice & she is hopefully going to go on to a larger audience & earn some much deserved money for the talent she posesses.

Had the pleasure of seeing her live a couple of years ago at the Without Boundaries summer ball & have to say she gave a stunning performance.

Got to say out of the 3 CD's you mentioned above I actually preffered the Disco album to the 2 Northern albums but it's each to his or her own I guess.

Regarding me bieng a Stafford or a classic Northern fan I guess I'm both & a lot more besides. I try my best not to pigeonhole music & the last thing I look at when I buy music is the year it was made.

Back to the topic of contemporary releases might I suggest you have a listen to the recent Joey Negro presents the Sunburst Band album called 'Moving With The Shakers' to give you some idea of recent stuff. A solid album from start to finish.

Social source share

Come on Colly, think back to the playlists from most clubs around 1976, we are both old enough :thumbup:Cleethorpes and Samanthas were far more upfront playing new and recent releases. Will Collins wasn't a scene changing record just a progression of what had gone before. I am sure Frank on here can remember such records as he was responsible for many of them.

Hi,didn't frequent Clee that much,but went to SAM'S a few times.

But are you saying that they played more new releases than the Mecca,and were more upfront?.

'76 seemed to me to be the turning point towards disco at the Mecca.

Maybe all 3 clubs were responsible for creating the "modern" scene?.Not just the Mecca.?

Social source share

The first direct experience I ever had of you up close, was seeing you being booted out of a car in the early 70's @ Knutsford services by Andy Hanley, presumably because you were driving everyone nuts at the time LOL....

Now isn't that weird - I have no recollection of that at all. Before I passed my driving test, I used to pay Andy to drive me to DJ gigs, and he was my combination driver/minder/record carrier. I find it hard to imagine what you're saying, way back in 1972, but maybe there was more to it than you knew at the time.

Social source share

However, I've seen much more humility in your recent postings on here and, unless I'm mistaken, I think that many of your recordings are currently receiving much more attention then they originally received which is probably a good thing.

So keep with the humility angle Ian. It'll work wonders mate........

I am quite willing to be humble unless I think someone is a total dickhead. And if that's the case, all hope of humility goes flying straight out of the window.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Did he actually say this or just imply it?

like you I appreciate a wide spectrum of black music - everything from my stormers to new releases - in the latter camp both the better house records and some indie CDs - and a whole load in between, including deep soul, beat ballads, funk, 70s 80s 90s etc. And then ironically I'm called "narrow minded" by a guy who dismisses everything with less than 135 bpm as "rubbish".

I think the comment "if you like the stuff played at Stafford you probably won't like my CD" - is key here. Ian's view of Northern is largely based on uptempo 60s sounds of the style played early Mecca / WIgan, when in reality NS has a rich history beyond those venues and the tunes they played (late Wigan, Stafford, 100, Lifeline etc), and a much wider variety of musical styles (i.e not just based on Motown type stuff), which he seemingly refuses to accept.

Northern is a scene that has evolved over the years and northern sounds cannot be pidgeon holed into a fixed style. Of course Ian missed all that because he had already proclaimed northern as being dead in 1976 and had moved on to pastures new etc etc.

1) his calling what he does today as "NS" - he knows I don't agree with that, and was critical of his NS 2007 CD, not because of the musical content, but because of the assumption (his) that you can create CDs full of NS today - I just don't see it as authentic, and it's all about what is "Northern Soul" - a style of music that anyone can make, anytime, or a scene based on recordings from a genre and a period in time - he and I disagree on that and will forever.

2) the rubbish about David Rhodes, Venecia Wilson etc being real records, which has been done to death now, and which he eventually fessed up on.

For the record I will buy his new DVD of re-recordings because I want to see these folks singing their songs.

I hope there is reasoned debate on this thread - so far I am seeing little evidence of it, we'll see.......

The comment was "If you like Stafford style Northern then you'll never like what I do anyway" by Ian.

I was just saying i think that comment is not true well in my book anyway, and like you i will be buying the DVD set this time round!.

Steve J

Social source share

For me personally I was never a hero worshipper so it's hard for me to understand the drive of chasing down the performers to have them perform like puppets in second rate home style videos.

You just lost any chance of a reply from me.

And fell into a stereotype that makes me think of you with less respect than your mind could even BEGIN to contemplate.

Social source share

That is such a great piece of message board nonsense - you may one day, hopefully, realise it too.

You have just managed to force your view down his neck as much as you say he has, his.

Quo vadis.

No he didn't Barry.

He just demonstrated himself as sad and pathetic and a waste of time as far as my world is concerned.

Social source share

It is good to see Ian back on SS .........

There is - if people will allow and give him the chance to air his views - a lot of credibility - and honesty - in what Ian has to say / writes .........

Malc Burton

I will endeavour to be honest, Malc.

But in doing so, it will p!ss certain people off, undoubtedly.

So far it's been worth it, from the messages of support I've been getting.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

No he didn't Barry.

He just demonstrated himself as sad and pathetic and a waste of time as far as my world is concerned.

Hand bags at dawn! :thumbup:

Social source share

it's your music. some good some bad, you have to accept that it don't appeal to all and sundry.

No, but it does appeal to MOST people who like Northern Soul. What really gets my back up is those who dismiss it as techno or disco or electro (when it is none of those), and refuse to accept it's Northern Soul, no matter how many others love it and no matter how many Sidney Barnes, Four Vandals, J.J. Barnes, Venicia Wilson, Ronnie McNeir, Originals and Supremes, Archie Bell, Rocq-E Harrell, Exciters, Barbara Pennington, James Wells, Angelo Starr, Evelyn Thomas, L.J. Johnson, Kim Weston, Chuck Jackson floorfillers I ever get to produce. No, to the closed-minded, it's simply just NOT Northern Soul.

Social source share

Worst

record

ever

I love you to bits, even if I sometimes totally disagree with you.

And if you'd been there to see their once in a lifetime performance at The Mecca, you'd have had tears of joy rolling down your face.

Social source share

question1:

my memory's not what it was,but which records cleared the floor at Wigan when you were on(75/76?)?

Mel Britt,Voices of east Harlem,Ronnie McNeir?.

All superb records,but how did you feel?.

question2: did you play football on the beach in the morning after the Mecca?

Ian,you answered question#1,(still think you played Wigan around that time,,wiganer1?)

....but not question#2..Which position did you play?

Social source share

100% with you on that one, no hang on james wells and barbara pennington equal, though james wells slightly nudgeing.

i used to love the james wells twelve, i think that and lalo schifrin jaws were the 1st two 12's i ever owned.

i no longer have either, but i do have an unreleased 12 of barbara pennington.

i don't consider any of these tunes as tailor made, just soul releases of the time, and damned good ones at that.

baby i'm still the same man.

I know you've changed

You're acting strange

You've rearranged

But you see I haven't.

Social source share

Flys round shit, pal.

Or maybe rubber necking a car crash, which let's face it, is what you've become.

Pathetic.

Just sad pitiful and utterly PATHETIC.

You should know better.

Social source share

Ian, welcome back. You've come on here all guns blazing. Are we done yet?

I have a few years pent up hostility against a few members to vent yet.

But to be fair, it's probably only about twenty in total, and at least Steve Guarnori was polite, which took the wind out of my sails where he's concerned.

I more shocked at the childish rhetoric spewed out my way by James Trouble. I thought he was some sort of respected DJ. I was clearly wrong.

Social source share

Sorry, but this chap has slagged this website and it's members, quite unreasonably, I mean really quite wrong. .

UNREASONABLY ????

have you ANY idea how much nasty vitriol has been heaped on me from this website in the past ??

And what depths it sank to ???

I have complained for years about having no right of reply.

Now I have a right or reply and you would deny this to me.

On what grounds, "PAL " ???????????

Social source share

This post taken from another thread sums it all up perfectly for me, i haven't got anything against Ian infact i think i actually quite like the guy sometimes but as James states it's car crash stuff, it livens all our mundane lives up.

Simon

Simon, you have been a friend of mine on MySpace for a year and a half. I think you're also a friend on facebook.

Are you being a hypocrite here to make yourself look like the big man ???

Social source share

This post taken from another thread sums it all up perfectly for me, i haven't got anything against Ian infact i think i actually quite like the guy sometimes but as James states it's car crash stuff, it livens all our mundane lives up.

Simon

Simon, you have been a friend of mine on MySpace for a year and a half. I think you're also a friend on facebook.

Are you being a hypocrite here to make yourself look like the big man ???

Social source share

I'm also VERY sceptical of his 3million hit thing anyway.

Although the number of hits on YouTube is given to me privately as an update when I log on to my account, you can easily verify it.

Just go to my main page

https://www.youtube.com/ianlevine

and look through my entire 384 videos on there.

With a calculator, add up the figures of the views of each of the 384.

When you verify it is three million, you can come back on here, eat humble pie, and damn well APOLOGISE.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Although the number of hits on YouTube is given to me privately as an update when I log on to my account, you can easily verify it.

Just go to my main page

https://www.youtube.com/ianlevine

and look through my entire 384 videos on there.

With a calculator, add up the figures of the views of each of the 384.

When you verify it is three million, you can come back on here, eat humble pie, and damn well APOLOGISE.

Right Ian Now you've got that off your chest. You gonna atleast agnowlege some of the OTHER questions you've been asked on here. If not can you make it clear so we can all piss off and do something less antagonistic? :thumbup:

Edited by Nik Mak
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Welcome to soul source Ian.long overdue imho,we spend a wonderful day at your house bout 4 years ago talking soul with you enthusing over sammy davis Jr eTc!I hope your insights and incredible knowledge are valued on here,you have so much to offer!

BAZ ATKINSON :D

To right Baz looking folward to the many reading hours with a bit of luck! :thumbup:

Steve J

Social source share

No, but it does appeal to MOST people who like Northern Soul. What really gets my back up is those who dismiss it as techno or disco or electro (when it is none of those), and refuse to accept it's Northern Soul, no matter how many others love it and no matter how many Sidney Barnes, Four Vandals, J.J. Barnes, Venicia Wilson, Ronnie McNeir, Originals and Supremes, Archie Bell, Rocq-E Harrell, Exciters, Barbara Pennington, James Wells, Angelo Starr, Evelyn Thomas, L.J. Johnson, Kim Weston, Chuck Jackson floorfillers I ever get to produce. No, to the closed-minded, it's simply just NOT Northern Soul.

probably the best 16 mentioned there out of how many.i love venecia, the four vandals,angelo and one or two others off the last album but the repeated drum loop just gets oh so monotonous to listen to after so long.

kev

Social source share

But to be fair, it's probably only about twenty in total, and at least Steve Guarnori was polite, which took the wind out of my sails where he's concerned.

I more shocked at the childish rhetoric spewed out my way by James Trouble. I thought he was some sort of respected DJ. I was clearly wrong.

Ian I couldn't possibly understand your anger as it's clearly personal to you, but presumably the views (for whatever reason) of your detractors are personal to them.

All I and others are suggesting is that it's time to draw a line under this unsavoury situation and move on, if thats possible.

All this angst, bitterness and resentment from all parties can't be healthy, now can it?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Pathetic.

Just sad pitiful and utterly PATHETIC.

You should know better.

Straighten up yourself.

You are proud of the hits, you seem to think it's a good thing.

Just because a lot of folk are looking, doesn't mean it's good.

Most on this thread, including me to be honest, are just reading it for entertainment and a bit of a cheap thrill, like watching girls fighting, or watching police chase reality TV, waiting for a glimpse of handbags and hair pulling. Don't flatter yourself that it's anything more than that.

I'm pathetic to write what everyone else is thinking? Come on, man, you're the one sat there adding up the hits of your 300 odd videos and quoting 3 million as some kind of justification for your existance?

Social source share

Now isn't that weird - I have no recollection of that at all. Before I passed my driving test, I used to pay Andy to drive me to DJ gigs, and he was my combination driver/minder/record carrier. I find it hard to imagine what you're saying, way back in 1972, but maybe there was more to it than you knew at the time.

I think we were en route back from an all-dayer somewhere in the Midlands (Whitchurch possibly?). I was in the car with Sid, Smithy, Rod etc from Cleckheaton and we'd just got back in the car after stopping @ Knutsford services when another car pulled up next to us and ejected you and record box LOL....

I think you were trying to make it back to Blackpool and Andy Hanley was definitely driving. It was probably a row and he probably came back and got you eventually I guess.

We were watching the whole thing wondering what was going on and we got out and talked to you. It was probably just a flare-up but actually quite funny at the time.......

Ian D :thumbup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

You won;t remember me Ian but I brought you down to Peterborough Wirrina in 1975 when you had all them orange advance copies on Tomorrows World??? the night Evelyn Thomas came down, she didn't sing just watched Danny Daniels dance...

Like to ask you a question, I;m of an age where I appreciate what the Mecca did for the Northern Soul scene way before its change in direction in 1974...In fact I was around when those nasty folk stole your Earl Grant.

Now then were you ever piffed off when Tony Jebb was given the Torch Job when most thought it should have been you in 72? I know you did it a few times but is there a story of contempt between you and Chris Burton

Hi Paul,

I was at the Wirrina that night. Ian & i had a close friend called Sheila Hart (recorded later for Ian) she & i flitted up from London where we had both moved to in 74, Got a pic somewhere in the waiting room at Peterborough station..good days!

Heres Sheila ,my wife & i at Oceanside S Cal in February Ian.

The V Sign was for Dave Burton who wouldnt believe we were meeting up!

Regards

David Ferguson

post-1369-1219495357_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest veep1296

OOPS FORGOT TO LOG DAVE MOORE OUT WHO WAS STAYING HERE LAST WEEKEND

Forgive me Ian! :thumbup: ?

David & Berry

post-5119-1219495651_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

I was at the Wirrina that night. Ian & i had a close friend called Sheila Hart (recorded later for Ian) she & i flitted up from London where we had both moved to in 74, Got a pic somewhere in the waiting room at Peterborough station..good days!

Heres Sheila ,my wife & i at Oceanside S Cal in February Ian.

The V Sign was for Dave Burton who wouldnt believe we were meeting up!

Regards

David Ferguson

post-1369-1219495357_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Straighten up yourself.

You are proud of the hits, you seem to think it's a good thing.

Just because a lot of folk are looking, doesn't mean it's good.

Most on this thread, including me to be honest, are just reading it for entertainment and a bit of a cheap thrill, like watching girls fighting, or watching police chase reality TV, waiting for a glimpse of handbags and hair pulling. Don't flatter yourself that it's anything more than that.

I'm pathetic to write what everyone else is thinking? Come on, man, you're the one sat there adding up the hits of your 300 odd videos and quoting 3 million as some kind of justification for your existance?

Sorry but why are you assuming that you are the spokes person for everyone on Soul Source? I have no interest in anything Ian Levine has done except his music? This sounds a bit more personal maybe you should go round and talk this out face to face? :thumbup: Just out of interest have you ever written a song,recorded a song,created an album or done anything mildly creative in music? Have you had ANY input to the scene that you are proud of but haven't told anyone? Have a real point don't just keeping slagging off cos at the moment your the one looking like a road crash.

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

Ooh, do I need to go get some provisions and popcorn, its going to be a long night :sleep3: . Why is James no longer a respected DJ because he disagrees with you. It looks to me like you need your adversaries as you catalogue them like some mad philatelist. Who is your most valuable? Who would you miss most if they decided not to bother playing any more? Can I play too? You only have 20 left, you might need some in reserve :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Look, man, I don't know you. I know of you as a DJ from back in the day who did a lot of promotion and turned up a lot of records, nice one. As I said, I don't have any opinion of you other than what I formed a few years ago when you have been a weak DJ the times I saw you play at The Rocket, only a couple of times, maybe three, so maybe they were off days, both in terms of records played and you talked far too much. That's the only opinion I have of you.

Nothing childish about realising that the thread count flys when you are on it because folk are looking for bodies in the car crash. It's not nice, but I'm afraid that's the truth.

I hope you do contribute to this forum away from your own thread. I'm sure your knowledge would be a huge asset to this community.

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

"mad philatalist' lol . we are all mad we must be . iv just come back to northern soul after 20 years bringing my children up and nothing absolutely nothing has changed , still the same old arguments , great stuff.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Sorry but why are you assuming that you are the spokes person for everyone on Soul Source? I have no interest in anything Ian Levine has done except his music? This sounds a bit more personal maybe you should go round and talk this out face to face? :thumbup: Just out of interest have you ever written a song,recorded a song,created an album or done anything mildly creative in music? Have you had ANY input to the scene that you are proud of but haven't told anyone? Have a real point don't just keeping slagging off cos at the moment your the one looking like a road crash.

I've already justified my comments and why I made them.

The 3 million thing is a bit of a joke no matter how you look at it. It doesn't justify anything. And my comments are only relevent to the first quote I responded to, with Ian Levine seemingly useing the number of hits as a comfort blanket. Whether you like Ian Levines productions, or not, whether you agree with anything he writes, or not, which I do on some occasions if it matters, but is not the point. What is the point is that whole "look at the size of my hits" self important thing.

It's rubber necking, that's all.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm also VERY sceptical of his 3million hit thing anyway. This is interesting: https://www.scriptlance.com/projects/1208449751.shtml and this https://3d2f.com/programs/19-867-fake-hits-...-download.shtml , actually, there's lots of ways to generate hits very quickly on youtube, these were the top two after a quick google search.

James you say you have never met Ian and only shouted at him to stop talking and play some music! Then why the extreme dislike that is coming across in you posts, just a question thats all but please don't tell me you have been listerning to idle gossip!

Why would anyone try and make it look like there youtube page or vidios have had more hit's :sleep3: Ian as been on youtube for a long time now and athough threemilion is a lot of hits it's no way uncommon on youtube to have this number, Have you any evidence at all (besides a google search to find for sale a program that can do it for you) that anyone on youtube as done this?

Steve J

I read soemthing about advertisers being ripped off from click throughs, it's pretty common practice I think. I'll see if I can find it.

I don't do idle gossip, as I say, I don't know him, I have no opinion. Other than he was a terrible DJ at The Rocket.

However, it's posts like this: "No because I'm discussing all and sundry on this one thread - places I've DJ'd, records I've made, people I have fallen out with, people I care about, videos I've made, and my feelings about forty years of Northern Soul.

It's this or nothing."

That's what antagonised me to post, that attitude. Me, me, me. Look at me, let's talk abotu me, look at my hits, you're all so mean to me, but I don't care, look at me.

Why didn't he do this in a blog, which many members make use of? Why do it main forum which is causing all this rubber necking car crash stuff? :thumbup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Nevertheless, if it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and flies like a duck, then it's a bleedin' duck, whether it fits into Steve Guarnori's little pigeonhole of what makes a duck a duck, or not.

Social source share

David Rhodes is a real record. It was produced by Danny Leake in Chicago, in 1974, before I ever met him, and those 100 singles were legally the first ever pressing of that recording, are totally 100% authentic, and as Ralph Tee can prove, there were only ever 100 made. When we enquired about doing more, all the stampers and labels had been destroyed anyway, so there are only ever and can only ever be 100 copies. That is a hard fact. You can reinterpret it all you like but it's a bloody stone cold fact.

Social source share