Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

I've already justified my comments and why I made them.

The 3 million thing is a bit of a joke no matter how you look at it. It doesn't justify anything. And my comments are only relevent to the first quote I responded to, with Ian Levine seemingly useing the number of hits as a comfort blanket. Whether you like Ian Levines productions, or not, whether you agree with anything he writes, or not, which I do on some occasions if it matters, but is not the point. What is the point is that whole "look at the size of my hits" self important thing.

It's rubber necking, that's all.

To be fair James, as you know you and I have rarely seen eye to eye on anything, but to say that Ian talks to much when DJing is a bit like pots & kettles. I have heard you shout and swear at the floor before now and on one occassion shout at an empty dancefloor "if you don't like this then you don't like F**cking Soul" didn't the empty dance floor in a room full of time served soulies give you a bit of a clue. That's what put me off you as a DJ, BUT and it is a very big BUT you are definately going up in my estimation as a person with your open, honest, true and articulate posts over the last couple of days and I have had to agree with you on nearly all points :thumbup:

Is this the start of a beautiful friendship..................................................... :sleep3:

QoFxx

Social source share

I hope there is reasoned debate on this thread - so far I am seeing little evidence of it, we'll see.......

I have been very reasonable so far.

There are lots of other threads for you to read, without you having to be miserably suffering this one, you know, Steve.

Social source share

If Ian chooses to think having all the hits on here or YouTube where a vote in his favour that would be up to him but i cant see him thinking like that at all, What he is saying is three million hit is something of an achievement by any standards no matter the content of the page and he as every right to if he wants to shout it from the roof tops.

Actually, Steve, I was using it as a counter argument against the tidal wave of postings I read on here last year, who all said that no-one, but NO-ONE, was interested in my music, and I was wasting my time, and I was making records no-one would ever want or care about.

Last year when we released "Northern Soul 2007", there were over a hundred posts which said this in some form or other.

I was belatedly having my right of reply to say that three million people disagreed with that hundred.

Social source share

The controversial thing I am saying is that his 3 million hits are fake, and at best everyone should be sceptical of them. I think he is pretending they are real. A bit like those dummies that Will Smith sets up in that I Am Hero film. For those who havn't seen the film, Will Smith is alone in a city infested with zombies who want to eat him (that'll be soul-source members), so to make himself feel less lonely he sets up lots of dummies around the city, so when he goes out in the day (that'll be the saftey of cyberspace that Ian controls and not the nighttime horror that is soul-source) he can talk to them, like they are real, it makes him feel he is leading a normal life and people care about him. But he starts to go a bit mad, and thinks they are real, gets angry with them, chats them up etc.

I already gave you the evidence to prove I had three million hits.

I was about to say that you really are a nasty foul piece of work and I don't like you at all, but I decided that was far far too mild.....

You make me ashamed to have been one of the Northern Soul pioneers, if this is the disgraceful legacy I have left behind.

Social source share

David Rhodes is a real record. It was produced by Danny Leake in Chicago, in 1974, before I ever met him, and those 100 singles were legally the first ever pressing of that recording, are totally 100% authentic, and as Ralph Tee can prove, there were only ever 100 made. When we enquired about doing more, all the stampers and labels had been destroyed anyway, so there are only ever and can only ever be 100 copies. That is a hard fact. You can reinterpret it all you like but it's a bloody stone cold fact.

======

and its a great record too...will never sell mine!

Social source share

quote from Ian yesterday:

"It's those few I see - Tomangoes, Pikey's Dog, Steve Guarnori, Mark Bicknell, Jumping Joan, Black And White, etc etc etc, who are so possessive of their unique scene of rare records and soul collectors, that they deny the music any chance to exist in another thirty years".

And I stand by it.

I have been civil to you and Derek because you have been at least civil back, and deserve reasoned replies.

As for the others......

Social source share

I was thinkin more on the topic of soul contributions than handbags Steve i'm looking folward to the post's that distribute Ian's knowlede of soul music and the past Blackpool Mecca days.

Steve J

And while I am defending my name and my actions, I am delighted to answer any questions at all on the above.

Social source share

Hi again Ian,

Must admit to preferring Vanessa Haynes more contemporary releases but I'm sure we both agree on one thing, she's got a great voice & she is hopefully going to go on to a larger audience & earn some much deserved money for the talent she posesses.

She has now joined Van Morrison's band and is doing a year long world tour with him.

My favourite artists to work with now are Winston Ward, Angelo Starr, Jennifer Dee, Marvin Cotterell, Verna Francis, Shenton Dixon, Pamela Ivonne-Cole, Fay Jones, Nat Augustin, Michael LLoyd Pinq, Donna Williams, and the amazing and lovely and wonderful Tahira Jumah.

Social source share

Got to say out of the 3 CD's you mentioned above I actually preffered the Disco album to the 2 Northern albums but it's each to his or her own I guess.

I love the Steve Brookstein track on it, and thre George Daniel Long, but the real sleeper is Odette Adams "Beat Of My Heart". She left after recording it to perform on cruise ships on the Caribbean for eighteen months, but she is a stunning and rare talent indeed.

Social source share

Ian,

I genuinely feel pity for you.

Mental illness is a terrible thing - especially when it is centred upon bringing destruction upon yourself.

I really hope for your sake that you seek help before it is too late.

Your deluded and bitter twist on life, the Northern Scene and what you think it owes you, and your relative failures in the world of music can't be good for your mental health, so please get yourself booked in to analysis as soon as you possibly can.

No more potshots from me, as I for one don't want to be accused of being the person who tipped you over the edge, if they find your bloated corpse face down in the Thames.

Social source share

....but not question#2..Which position did you play?

I didn't.

Me and Les Cokell used to go along every week to watch.

Some of the lads looked great in shorts, but others looked hysterical. Colin Curtis's knobbly knees almost put me off for life.

Social source share

Welcome to soul source Ian.long overdue imho,we spend a wonderful day at your house bout 4 years ago talking soul with you enthusing over sammy davis Jr eTc!

Just to put this into perspective, Baz, it was the one record, "Hello Detroit", written by Berry Gordy and Willie Hutch, and produced by Willie Hutch.

Lets not let the other Soul Sourcers think I'm a general Sammy Davis Jr. fan.

I ended up covering the song with Rowetta.

Social source share

You gonna at least agnowlege some of the OTHER questions you've been asked on here. If not can you make it clear so we can all piss off and do something less antagonistic?

I thought I'd answered them all.

Social source share

probably the best 16 mentioned there out of how many.i love venecia, the four vandals,angelo and one or two others off the last album but the repeated drum loop just gets oh so monotonous to listen to after so long.

kev

And how many more than 16 do you WANT me to list ????

Social source share

I'm pathetic to write what everyone else is thinking? Come on, man, you're the one sat there adding up the hits of your 300 odd videos and quoting 3 million as some kind of justification for your existance?

From what I hear, you can count the number of people who dance to your DJ sets on one hand.

Social source share

Ian & i had a close friend called Sheila Hart (recorded later for Ian) she & i flitted up from London where we had both moved to in 74, Got a pic somewhere in the waiting room at Peterborough station..good days!

Heres Sheila ,my wife & i at Oceanside S Cal in February Ian.

My dearest friend.

We still chat every week on facebook.

I love her to bits.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I already gave you the evidence to prove I had three million hits.

I was about to say that you really are a nasty foul piece of work and I don't like you at all, but I decided that was far far too mild.....

You make me ashamed to have been one of the Northern Soul pioneers, if this is the disgraceful legacy I have left behind.

I know, I was wrong to compare soul-source members to flesh eating zombies. I appologise for that.

Now you've cleared up that you only have 7500 clicks per video I will say it is unlikely that you have made up that 3 million figure. But I don't think it's anything special, 7500 clicks per video on there is pretty average I woudl have thought. I've seen more hits on youtube of people getting high scores on computer games. And there are these kids that go around Chelmsford, where I live, who put staples through their ears or jump off bridges if you give them a quid and they record it and put it on youtube. They get 10s of 1000s of hits. It doesn't mean it's good.

That's my point. Don't mistake hits on youtube or soul-source for love.

And why don't you start a blog on here, that's all the rage with the cool kids these days, don't you know?

And glad to see you're obviously a good judge of character. Most folk figured that "foul piece of work" thing out about me years ago, just ask Chrissie. We really should meet up for a game of conkers one day... :thumbup:

Social source share

Sorry but why are you assuming that you are the spokes person for everyone on Soul Source? I have no interest in anything Ian Levine has done except his music? This sounds a bit more personal maybe you should go round and talk this out face to face? :thumbup: Just out of interest have you ever written a song,recorded a song,created an album or done anything mildly creative in music? Have you had ANY input to the scene that you are proud of but haven't told anyone? Have a real point don't just keeping slagging off cos at the moment your the one looking like a road crash.

I love and adore you, and you're my new best friend.

Social source share

I don't know him, I have no opinion. Other than he was a terrible DJ at The Rocket.

People who live in glass houses...

Or is it just raw undiluted, mean-spirited jealousy ???

And every Rocket I did had a rammed floor. Rammed from start to finish. There's plenty of proof of that, including pics and videos. Boy I wish Gavin was here. Even better, I wish Gavin could meet you face to face.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

From what I hear, you can count the number of people who dance to your DJ sets on one hand.

So what is it, am I respected as a DJ, or am I a shite DJ? Christ on a bike, man, make your mind up, you seem to be going a bit mad! :thumbup:

Shall I start a James Trouble thread? All things abotu me, what a play, where I've played, my history, talk about my influences and influence on the world, my enemies, my friends, just that, nothing else?

Oh no, that's a bit wank, isn't it? I'll think I'll give it a miss and head into town with a bag of pound coins...

Social source share

I read soemthing about advertisers being ripped off from click throughs, it's pretty common practice I think. I'll see if I can find it.

I don't do idle gossip, as I say, I don't know him, I have no opinion. Other than he was a terrible DJ at The Rocket.

However, it's posts like this: "No because I'm discussing all and sundry on this one thread - places I've DJ'd, records I've made, people I have fallen out with, people I care about, videos I've made, and my feelings about forty years of Northern Soul.

It's this or nothing."

That's what antagonised me to post, that attitude. Me, me, me. Look at me, let's talk abotu me, look at my hits, you're all so mean to me, but I don't care, look at me.

Why didn't he do this in a blog, which many members make use of? Why do it main forum which is causing all this rubber necking car crash stuff? :thumbup:

It's all pantomime though Mr Trouble...surely you realise that...

For every action, there is an equal (in size) and opposite (in direction) reaction - Isaac Newton

I find it less offensive than humourous :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

And while I am defending my name and my actions, I am delighted to answer any questions at all on the above.

Ian i think i'm right in saying it was 75ish that you went to New York to work with Herb & Brenda Rooney along with the Exciters and this was your first footing into writting and producing records, Did you have the songs before you went of where they just of the cuff and how did you first get on in the studio?

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

It's rubber necking, that's all.

It's not just that James, some of us actually like to listen to what Ian's got to say because he has more knowledge about soul music than anyone I've ever met. He set up this particular topic so that anyone who wanted to have a pop at him could do exactly that and I think he's handled himself with some decorum.

Carstairs is still sh*t though.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

People who live in glass houses...

Or is it just raw undiluted, mean-spirited jealousy ???

And every Rocket I did had a rammed floor. Rammed from start to finish. There's plenty of proof of that, including pics and videos. Boy I wish Gavin was here. Even better, I wish Gavin could meet you face to face.

Sweet, nice come back. Slick, to the point. Effective. Disagree with me, my friend will beat you up. Quality.

You going to pull the pin on that hand grenade before the zombies move in?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Ian i think i'm right in saying it was 75ish that you went to New York to work with Herb & Brenda Rooney along with the Exciters and this was your first footing into writting and producing records, Did you have the songs before you went of where they just of the cuff and how did you first get on in the studio?

Steve J

Are you Parkinson in disguise? :thumbup:

Social source share

It's not just that James, some of us actually like to listen to what Ian's got to say because he has more knowledge about soul music than anyone I've ever met. He set up this particular topic so that anyone who wanted to have a pop at him could do exactly that and I think he's handled himself with some decorum.

See Pete, that's my point exactly.

All this shit slinging is tiresome. Enough already!

Social source share

I'll second that Pete, except the bit about the Carstairs LOL.....

Ian is one of the most knowledgeable people about Soul Music that I've ever met too. He's ALWAYS been controversial and outspoken as long as I've known him and even his best mates will acknowledge that he can be a pain in the ass at times.

Once you get past the shameless self-promotion and arrogance, there's a guy who knows more about Northern Soul then 99.99% of most people.

Plus he's being remarkably well-behaved this time around IMO. A few years ago he'd have been immediately banned.....

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Are you Parkinson in disguise? :sleep3:

:thumbup: just trying to get this topic away from handbags and onto somthing soulful!

Just woundering how Ian went from Mecca DJ to producing records in the USA as i find this time 74 to 76 at Blackpool Mecca intresting you got a problem with that?

Steve J

Social source share

I'd like to think he contributes to the site in a constructive way and leaves his ego to one side,

It's not just that James, some of us actually like to listen to what Ian's got to say because he has more knowledge about soul music than anyone I've ever met.

Oh I really hope we can finish all the nonsense and get down to some serious chin-stroking
:thumbup:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Ian

I just rejoined this site after many years and b*gger me what do I find but you falling out with peopole again. I knew you slightly back in 1976 from the Highland Room and the Ritz. I remember well a couple of occassions in the Ritz where I talked mates of mine out of giving you a hard time (which was a hobby of many "stomper" fans of the time.) It was not just about the music you chose to play (Colin and Neil never got the same stick) It was about you. You are not a very nice person, you are an egotist, and you could start a row in an empty room. Has it never occurred to you that other DJs such as (for example) Richard Searling could play NY Disco and later Jazz Funk without suffering the abuse you did. The reason why is so so simple. No one I know of who has met Richard has a bad word to say about him because he's a nice person without ego.

Turning to your music, you've certainly churned out a lot over the years with very little critical chart success! Some (probably about 10) are IMHO excellent but you delude yourself about the overall quality. You think of yourself as "the one" who came out of a Northern Soul background into the record business when you are one of a number and not even 1% as succesfull as Pete Waterman. I'm not even sure that writing and producing 3rd rate music is even as laudable an occupation as compiling albums on existing modern soul material which several of your contemporaries moved into over the last thirty years.

Finally I think that one of the reasons you have turned up on this forum is to publicise your latest output. You certainly try to manipulate the reviews on Amazon - one reviewer has given five stars to everything you've ever done but never reviewed anything else !

Anyway you'll be pleased to hear I gave it the one star it deserves https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Soul-2008...1657&sr=8-1

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Great, it's good to have him along with such knowledge to share.

But the whole bish bash bosh, here I am, I'm back, I'm amazing, you lot are going to get told, I'll show you all how great I am, here's my thread, come here to talk about me, me and more me.

I dunno, but it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Just my opinion, about his personality, and it's a personality that is pretty hard to ignore. And to pretend his postings are not as much about him and his ego as they are about the music would be foolish, I'd suggest. He loves it, and he's called it on. Or am I wrong?

Social source share

But the whole bish bash bosh, here I am, I'm back, I'm amazing, you lot are going to get told, I'll show you all how great I am, here's my thread, come here to talk about me, me and more me.

Just my opinion, about his personality, and it's a personality that is pretty hard to ignore. And to pretend his postings are not as much about him and his ego as they are about the music would be foolish, I'd suggest. He loves it, and he's called it on. Or am I wrong?

You sure this isn't a case of "irresistible force meets the immovable object" which I alluded to earlier James?

We should get all the egos in a room whilst I keep Gavin in check LOL......

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

James,

All in all i'd much rather have Ian on here than not. Whether or not i agree with him.

You're not exactly a shrinking violet yourself i'm sure you'd agree.

Derek

Social source share

You sure this isn't a case of "irresistible force meets the immovable object" which I alluded to earlier James?

Think you are spot on Ian. However, I'd suggest that the views of one of them on todays soul scene are more valid, simply because he's actively involved. Ian Levine could keep the majority of us happy for months I think, simply by recalling record trips, meeting/recording artists etc. These type of threads by others are some of the most interesting on here. I hope he gives that a go. Someone with his knowledge can only be an asset to SS.

Social source share

There is a saying 'it takes two to Tango'...

If all of you that don't like Mr Levine just ignored the fact that he existed and did not participate in this thread then everyone would be happy... I too have been on the receiving end of Mr Levine's tongue (ooo'er missus) in the past but that doesn't make me immediately want to poke a stick at him... it does seem like this thread is a bear baiting session... both sides are equally guilty...

You lot stay there ----------------------------------->

<-------------------------- The other lot stay there...

There now... wouldn't that be peaceful!

Restraint is the key...

Enough patronising from me...

Edited by WendyTinley
Social source share

To pretend as Ian D does that we are sat at the feet of Plato as pearls of wisdom spill from his lips is disingenious to say the least. That Ian was top DJ for most of the early 70's is not in dispute. However as far as I can see his involvement of 40 years seemed to have ended around the time he and Colin took the Mecca off in a different direction. I stuck it out till "Salsoul 3001" The "Motownesque" sound that Ian quite rightly champions wasn't there any more IMO.

Now apart from the odd personal production that has impacted on the scene since then and the brief flirtation with the Rocket he hasn't had much to do with the development of the scene over the past 30 years, both modern and 60's strands.

Ian is reminiscing isn't he but rather than accepting his place in the pantheon with good grace he sets about flailing anyone nearby whom he thinks has done him a disservice by expressing dislike for his work. I fully agree with his point that it must be extremely hurtful when you've put so much of yourself into it but responding with insults or threats is not the best way of going about it, nor is disparaging the efforts and views of those who came after Ian who didn't agree with his take on the direction of the scene.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Being reading the comments about Ian's remakes etc, can someone tell me what the difference is between the following re-recording, I don't want the obvious, Ian did these and they are shite because some weren't. Makes you think if A.N.Other had done them would we have a different view on them.

Mel Britt "She'll come running back" (Ian)

Montclairs "Hung up on your love" (Ian)

Natural Four "I thought you were mine" (60's/70's)

Ty Karim "Lighten Up" (60's/70's)

Still love "Reaching for the Best" and others Ian produced, dislike 100's of others, no different to various other record producers that I've found stamp on record labels I've come across. If you like it that's fine if you don't that's fine everyone's entitled to their point of view, but I would never diss a record just because of the names on the label, it's silly and stupid, it's what's in the grooves that count.

Social source share

To be fair James, as you know you and I have rarely seen eye to eye on anything, but to say that Ian talks to much when DJing is a bit like pots & kettles. I have heard you shout and swear at the floor before now and on one occassion shout at an empty dancefloor "if you don't like this then you don't like F**cking Soul" didn't the empty dance floor in a room full of time served soulies give you a bit of a clue. That's what put me off you as a DJ

I could grow to like you, Chrissie, even after all the bad things you said.

Social source share

hi ian, i am not aware we have met, could you tell me if you had any involvement or input on any records on the soular label,hollywood, cal by cidney sza'vee............................thanks ezzie

Never heard of 'em.

Social source share

Ian,

I genuinely feel pity for you.

Mental illness is a terrible thing - especially when it is centred upon bringing destruction upon yourself.

I really hope for your sake that you seek help before it is too late.

Your deluded and bitter twist on life, the Northern Scene and what you think it owes you, and your relative failures in the world of music can't be good for your mental health, so please get yourself booked in to analysis as soon as you possibly can.

No more potshots from me, as I for one don't want to be accused of being the person who tipped you over the edge, if they find your bloated corpse face down in the Thames.

If I say FOAD, will it get me banned ????

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

i and sure others know exactly what this means

take a warning

any threats or such against any member on here will not be tolerated

I was only referring to the fact that Gavin was EXTREMELY defensive of The Rocket.

As he isn't here to speak for himself, I happen to know that post would have incensed him greatly.

I shall refrain from mentioning him on here again, out of deference to you.

Social source share

If I say FOAD, will it get me banned ????

No, it will just confirm that you really are a lost cause.

Sad really, as people have stated, your depth of knowledge of the history of the scene is probably second to none.

You just need to accept that your involvement in it proper, has been less than a quarter of it run - and things change.

P.S. FOADY

Social source share