Previously Unissued Material

Harrogatesoul

So there's the raging debate on OVO thread but what about the music eh?

No arguments about OVO etc and should they/should they not be played out (I know my humble opinion) but how about a look at some of the fantastic unreleased tracks on legit labels that have found favour whether on the dancefloor or at home. Label owners / publishing companies feel free to promote :thumbsup: and give us a taste of what may be to come!

Will kick off with a couple of easy ones:

Gloria Shannon - Tears (Are A Gift From Heaven) - REALSIDE

Dottie Pearson - Bring It Over Baby / House Made Of Love - Grapevine

There's plenty out there without having to resort to the same old boots / oldies. Plenty of recent releases but what about forgotten ones?

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

• Replies 295
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

So there's the raging debate on OVO thread but what about the music eh?

No arguments about OVO etc and should they/should they not be played out (I know my humble opinion) but how about a look at some of the fantastic unreleased tracks on legit labels that have found favour whether on the dancefloor or at home. Label owners / publishing companies feel free to promote :thumbsup: and give us a taste of what may be to come!

Will kick off with a couple of easy ones:

Gloria Shannon - Tears (Are A Gift From Heaven) - REALSIDE

Dottie Pearson - Bring It Over Baby / House Made Of Love - Grapevine

There's plenty out there without having to resort to the same old boots / oldies. Plenty of recent releases but what about forgotten ones?

Rich

Isn't the title of the thread a contradiction ! Surely if they are on legit 45s, they are no longer unreleased material.

Social source share

Eddie Holman - Hold Me In Your Arms (Grapevine)

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You (Kent)

Al Williams - Try Them (Grapevine)

Rozetta Johnson - You Better Keep What You Got (Shotgun)

Jimmy Ruffin - We Finally Found Out (Soul Junction)

Dottie Pearson - A House Made Of Love / Bring It Over Baby (Grapevine)

Sam Dees - Fool Of The Year (Shotgun)

Gloria Shannon - Tears Are Gifts From Heaven (Realside)

Detroit Magnificents - Is This A Woman's Way? (Grapevine)

Bobby Cutchins - Leaving (Soul Junction)

The Servicemen - I'll Stop Loving You (Grapevine)

Johnnie Taylor - Please Let Me In (Kent) ?

Jerry Williams - When You Move, You Lose (Grapevine)

Timmy Willis - Such Misery (Joe Boy)

Johnny Moore - Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow (Grapevine)

Social source share

Thanks Paul - Some real highlights there (including your very own) - Sam Dees being an obvious highlight personally.

A lot issued in the 21st century but how about any early ones? Did anyone start the ball rolling so to speak or is a later soul phenomenon?

Rich

Hello Rich,

I'd say The Contours "Baby Hit And Run" is a classic example.

Regards,

Paul

Social source share

Of course - I didn't realise that was unissued till I read it on the other thread. Always assumed it was LP track.

Rich

I can't be certain, Rich, because it was a long time ago, but I thought it was previously unissued.

Anyone know for sure?

Paul

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I can't be certain, Rich, because it was a long time ago, but I thought it was previously unissued.

Anyone know for sure?

Paul

Betty Boo defo previously unreleased(as my learned friends have said) found at the same time as --Spaceland,Hanky Panky,Down in the dumps--all came from Popcorn Wylie(direct) to John Anderson the 1 st. came out on the Yellow Grapevine L.P.

Paul--p.m ed. you

Tony COLEBY

Social source share

Betty Boo defo previously unreleased(as my learned friends have said) found at the same time as --Spaceland,Hanky Panky,Down in the dumps--all came from Popcorn Wylie(direct) to John Anderson the 1 st. came out on the Yellow Grapevine L.P.

Paul--p.m ed. you

Tony COLEBY

Thanks Tony,

I was thinking more about The Contours on Tamla Motown. That may have been one of the first examples. If it was previously unissued, can anyone remember what year it was issued on TMG?

I have 1974 in my mind but I'm not sure.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

List updated...

Primers - How Does It Grab You (Kent)

Contours - Baby Hit And Run (Tamla Motown)

Social source share

Hello Rich,

I'd say The Contours "Baby Hit And Run" is a classic example.

Regards,

Paul

Paul, is the Contours track only on the MFP lp, always loved this...didn`t know this was its only issue.

Absolutely okay in my book to play the likes of the Servicemen..I`ll stop loving you..Grapevine..Wonderful track!!! and also all those lovely other previously unissued sounds...Theres no other way to hear them!!!

I wish more of these previously unissued items were played out,

Imagine what a soul nite that would be, rather than keeping hearing the same things that need to be put to bed for a long while.

The depth and quality of these sounds, that generally only cost about £10, are astounding.....Just heard that Gloria Shannon ...tears, couple of weeks ago...stunnin!!

Unissued tracks that labels like Grapevine etc are bringing out is absolutely amazing.

We`re all missing out if they dont get played out.

Andy

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

Paul, is the Contours track only on the MFP lp, always loved this...didn`t know this was its only issue.

Absolutely okay in my book to play the likes of the Servicemen..I`ll stop loving you..Grapevine..Wonderful track!!! and also all those lovely other previously unissued sounds...Theres no other way to hear them!!!

I wish more of these previously unissued items were played out,

Imagine what a soul nite that would be, rather than keeping hearing the same things that need to be put to bed for a long while.

The depth and quality of these sounds, that generally only cost about £10, are astounding.....Just heard that Gloria Shannon ...tears, couple of weeks ago...stunnin!!

Unissued tracks that labels like Grapevine etc are bringing out is absolutely amazing.

We`re all missing out if they dont get played out.

Andy

Absolutley agree Andy - Kind of my point in a way. Servicemen a great slice of group soul. As re. the Stardust label guys - Are they legitimate issues? If so there's a fair few on there am I right?

Rich

Social source share

Unissued? Was origianlly issued as a 45 on Hale.

Well spotted, Chalky.

Actually, the producer had at first told me it was unissued but then a few copies turned up which proved that he was wrong. He'd obviously forgotten about it. And now I'm just as forgetful as he was.

I'll remove it from the list.

Reluctantly.

If you insist.

wink.gif

Social source share

List corrected...

Contours - Baby Hit And Run (Tamla Motown)

Social source share

Some good unissued tunes that have been issued on 7" vinyl over the last couple of years:

David Sea - Believe In Me - SHOTGUN

Other Brothers - Nobody But Me - KENT

Mixed Emotions - Am I Imposing - ROCK-WAY

How could I forget about David Sea? I'll add it to my list.
Social source share

JJ BARNES - Love At First Sight (Hayley)

JIMMY RUFFIN - The Entertainer/STEVE MANCHA - One in a million

EMANUEL LASKEY - (Put your Name) In the Hall of Fame

THUNDERBIRD SOUND - In heaven and on earth

Nice handful of offerings from Hayley - Was the Loretta Kendrick previously unknown/released? Gorgeous track IMO. Just Brothers 'Honey' ??

Rich

Social source share

in the car tiday from the good guys don't always win CD ...

Frederick Knight "It ain't much fun"

fantastic smile.gif

some of these CDs contain some absolute belters.

Hello Dylan,

There are hundreds of amazing tracks which have surfaced on CD but I think this thread is about those which were eventually released on 45s. Don't blame me, Rich made the rules. :D

Frederick Knight, by the way, wasn't anywhere near as good as Shirley Brown in my opinion.

One track that I wish had been issued as a 45 is "Millionaire" by Chuck Jackson.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Hello Dylan,

There are hundreds of amazing tracks which have surfaced on CD but I think this thread is about those which were eventually released on 45s. Don't blame me, Rich made the rules. :D

Frederick Knight, by the way, wasn't anywhere near as good as Shirley Brown in my opinion.

One track that I wish had been issued as a 45 is "Millionaire" by Chuck Jackson.

Best regards,

Paul

rules are there to be broken laugh.gif

still need to hear the shirley brown but found it cheap enough via a quick google search.

Social source share

rules are there to be broken laugh.gif

still need to hear the shirley brown but found it cheap enough via a quick google search.

"It Ain't No Fun" might be Shirley's best ever moment. Especially the long version.

Now let's have no more rebellious behaviour from you. And please try to pay attention, otherwise you'll have to stand in the corner until home time.

:D

Deputy Headmaster

Social source share

JIMMY RUFFIN - The Entertainer/STEVE MANCHA - One in a million

I am pretty sure I have the Jimmy Ruffin on Polydor LP Rich, I know it was discussed as unissued at the time but sure I found the LP in Manchester not much later, will try and dig it out when my PC repairs are over!

Also forgot to say wantt aware the Sam Dees Shotgun actually come out on 7"? I bought the David Sea but dont remember seeing the Sam Dees, is it still available?

Edited by jocko
Social source share

I'm really not a dictator / take my ball home type.. honest... laugh.gif - On a more serious note the unreleased material on CD's IMO does get over-looked due do its format in some ways??

Did someone mention recently there was one or two on Goldmine??

Rich

"Recipe (For Love)" by L.V. Johnson.

I suppose that counts.

Paul

Social source share

I am pretty sure I have the Jimmy Ruffin on Polydor LP Rich, I know it was discussed as unissued at the time but sure I found the LP in Manchester not much later, will try and dig it out when my PC repairs are over!

Also forgot to say wantt aware the Sam Dees Shotgun actually come out on 7"? I bought the David Sea but dont remember seeing the Sam Dees, is it still available?

Thanks for the info Jock much appreciated. Sam Dees still to be released as yet but coming soon I'm reliably informed.

Best

Rich

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

"Recipe (For Love)" by L.V. Johnson.

I suppose that counts.

Paul

Too right --top tune----Recipe--my Rani has always loved it---also Little Anne(2 0n Kent) 60,s Detroit soul at its Zenith(good word)

Paul have p.m. ed you

Tony Coleby

Social source share

Hello

You haven't missed it, Jocko. "Fool Of The Year" by Sam Dees will be out on Shotgun SHOT 103 in a few weeks.

And closely behind it will be "Missing You" by Eddie Floyd (Shotgun SHOT 104).

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Yep. Established that the single came out 3 months before the album appeared, so the Contours should deffo be on the list.

Ian D :shades:

Thanks Ian,

"Baby Hit And Run" was probably the track which really made us all start to wonder just what unknown delights were in the Motown vaults.

I feel like I'm sixteen again.

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!