Previously Unissued Material

Harrogatesoul

If we're picking out tracks which were on albums before the 45 release and removing them from the list, then I'd still have to query the Bob & Earl Band on Jay Boy

- I thought it was already on the Jay Boy "Bob & Earl" LP before the 45 was released :D

(Didn't this get discussed on Soul Talk a few years back Ady?)

Also... What about the Jimmy Ruffin track "The Entertainer" - taken from his 1975 Polydor LP

post-5094-1222546882_thumb.jpg

Surely this can't be allowed either? :D

Don't also forget the Contours "Baby hit and run" - this was definitely played from the Music for Pleasure album, long before the 45 was released. :shades:

-----------------------------------------

Now, to add to the list - what about Bobby McClure "You bring out the love in me" on Island?

That doesn't appear to have been out in any other shape or form prior to this.

Also there's GC Cameron "Live for love" on Flamingo

More to follow, when I've had a good think about this...

Hi John / Eddie / TOAD

Just what are the origins of the Bobby McClure / GC Cameron / Bobby Byrd 45s? Always thought the McClure Island 45 an odd one. Were they tracks languishing in the vaults? Happy to put these in - also aside from my moody reply earlier (been a crap day) - think it would be a good idea re. a 12s/LP unissued thread. As Brett pointed out (weapon of choice in hand :wicked: ) material like Bill Spoon etc warrants some attention and documentation. ???

Best

Rich

Social source share

• Replies 295
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've taken out the Contours track due to its issue on the MFP LP - So technically issued - However tracks like that & say Garland Green CTM - Could be included addendum due to it being an unissued recording on 45 but appearing on 45. Alternatively - Say if Bettye Swanns' ' I Want Sunday Back Again' appeared on a Warners (or whatever) 45 it would be worthy of inclusion as a recording appearing on 45 for the first time. So what do we think? A compiled list of tracks such as Green / Contours etc etc? And I'll say it again - as Brett highlighted Bill Spoon - There's essential material to be added ala 12/LP etc. (however I will leave the CD / Mp3 OFO list to someone else......)

Rich

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Absolutely Eddie - Was trying to find a list of Goldmine 45s that warranted inclusion and asked the question re. the Connioseurs label. Many thanks and will update in a tad (cooking chinese for 4 at mo) and will update later if no objections from anyone?

Also - I know the bulk of these 45s are issued from UK sources - Have any of the US ( or anywhere!) got anything from their respective countries?

Rich

Social source share

Got nothing to do about what can/can't be played Brett - As my answer to Benji above its not a soul-political thread just one about unissued material issued on 45. :)

Rich

Hi Rich, read all the posts, still think the Garland Green got a release via the lp and should not be included.......and whilst playing devils advocate, what about things like Percy Stone (which got an original release on Ram) but only got to the demo for a re-issue (grapevine) but was withdrawn due to legal issues / (not sure clear exactly why, but it did get withdrawn). Just to turn the debate on it's head. :lol:

Brett F

ps hope your day is better now you have had your Oriental meal. :)

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Hi Rich, read all the posts, still think the Garland Green got a release via the lp and should not be included.......and whilst playing devils advocate, what about things like Percy Stone (which got an original release on Ram) but only got to the demo for a re-issue (grapevine) but was withdrawn due to legal issues / (not sure clear exactly why, but it did get withdrawn). Just to turn the debate on it's head. :lol:

Brett F

ps hope your day is better now you have had your Oriental meal. :)

Hello Brett,

The Percy Stone demos on Grapevine were double-sided because at the time we didn't have a master source for the flip side. It was intended to get a master and then issue the record but it just never happened. I don't recall a legal problem, it was just decided not to proceed with the commercial release.

A similar thing happened with the Barons Of Soul single. There wasn't a flip side and the sound was terrible anyway. After circulating a few double-sided demos the project was cancelled.

That was a case where the unissued track was just a rough demo (as many are) and had never been intended for release.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Hello Brett,

The Percy Stone demos on Grapevine were double-sided because at the time we didn't have a master source for the flip side. It was intended to get a master and then issue the record but it just never happened. I don't recall a legal problem, it was just decided not to proceed with the commercial release.

A similar thing happened with the Barons Of Soul single. There wasn't a flip side and the sound was terrible anyway. After circulating a few double-sided demos the project was cancelled.

That was a case where the unissued track was just a rough demo (as many are) and had never been intended for release.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for the clarification, i always ( mind is full of nonsense) thought it was legal reasons, shows how wrong you can be, via word of mouth etc, once again great to hear it from the horses mouth.

Brett F

Social source share

Hi Rich , here's the releases from Goldmine [ Sevens label ] that qualify for inclusion in the ever growing list :

0001. Melvin Davis / Steve Mancha - I need my baby c/w Pat Lewis - Hit and run DJ only

also released as 1 on the regular label.

4. Eddie Holman - Where I'm not wanted c/w Larks - You need love

23. LV Johnson - Recipe

30. Diane Lewis - Keep a hold on me c/w JJ Barnes - Sweet honey baby

T- 2 DJ. Johnny Taylor - Love on a lease plan c/w L.V Johnson - Got to get rid of you [ Got my copy of this at the 2nd Togetherness all nighter at Kings hall as a freebie ]

If I've made any mistakes please feel free to correct me .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Just what are the origins of the Bobby McClure / GC Cameron / Bobby Byrd 45s?...

Rich

How could I forget the GC Cameron?

"Live For Love" was one of eight tracks recorded in 1979 / 1980 for an album project intended for Honey Records.

UK publishers Peterman & Co. (who were affiliated with Carlin) liked the song so they issued it in the UK on their Flamingo label via Magnet.

Since then Millbrand obtained the rights and I finally got to hear the other unissued tracks about six years ago. We did a remix of "Live For Love" and licensed it to Passion/Expansion for an album - I don't recall which one.

Out of the other unissued tracks, there's a nice one called "Love Just Ain't No Fun" which I might release one day.

Best regards,

Social source share

Ps Paul, i guess the Percy Stone demo must be a collectable Uk 45'......?

say yes because i have it :lol:

There won't be many copies in circulation. I can't remember how many we pressed but it wasn't a lot. Do you ever see one for sale?

Social source share

How could I forget the GC Cameron?

"Live For Love" was one of eight tracks recorded in 1979 / 1980 for an album project intended for Honey Records.

UK publishers Peterman & Co. (who were affiliated with Carlin) liked the song so they issued it in the UK on their Flamingo label via Magnet.

Since then Millbrand obtained the rights and I finally got to hear the other unissued tracks about six years ago. We did a remix of "Live For Love" and licensed it to Passion/Expansion for an album - I don't recall which one.

Out of the other unissued tracks, there's a nice one called "Love Just Ain't No Fun" which I might release one day.

Best regards,

So are we right to include GC as 'recorded for another label but remained unissued until Flamingo released it? ' :lol:

Percy Stone gained a release on a 45 but remained 'promo only' on Grapevine so would think not for inclusion here. (Thanks Brett - Chinese went well but Tofu is a f*c*k*r to cook well!)

Amending list now.

Rich

Social source share

Thanks Ian,

"Baby Hit And Run" was probably the track which really made us all start to wonder just what unknown delights were in the Motown vaults.

I feel like I'm sixteen again.

Paul

Was Jr Walkers " I Ain't Going Nowhere" a previously unreleased track ? Remember him doing this at Blackpool Mecca

Social source share

Previously Unreleased tracks on 45

Al Williams - Try Them (Grapevine)

Aleshure Shower The World (Phoenix)

Anita robbins / Chuck Brooks - I Can't Stand It / Last Minute Plans (Grapevine)

Barbara & the Browns - I'm Gonna Start A War (Kent)

Bobby Byrd - Thank you for your love (Contempo)

Bobby Cutchins - Leaving (Soul Junction)

Bobby Reed - Caledonia Brown / Baby Dont You Leave (UK Shrine/Goldmine)

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You (Kent)

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You / Prophets Band - Peaches Baby (6T's Anniversary)

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You (Horaces)

Charles Brimmer - Show & Tell (Hayley)

Chubby Checker / Teardrops - You Can't Lose Something / Here Comes Loneliness (6T's Anniversary)

Chuck Jackson / Superb Strings - What's With This Loneliness / Surf n Soul (6T's Anniversary)

Danny Cobus / Chico & Buddy - The Two Of Us / You Won't Miss The Water (Kent)

David Sea - Believe In Me - (Shotgun)

Dean Courtney / Sharon Scott - Today Is My Day / Putting My Heart Under Lock & key (6T's Anniversary)

Debra Johnson / Diplomats - To Get Love You've Got To Give Love / I Really Love You (6T's Anniversary)

Detroit Magnificents - Is This A Woman's Way? (Grapevine)

Diane Lewis JJ Barnes - Keep a hold on me / Sweet honey baby (Goldmine)

Devonnes / Mayberry Movement - Doin' The Gittin' Up / I See Him Making Love to You (6T's Anniversary)

Doni Burdick - Candle / Watcha gonna Do (Soul King)

Dottie Pearson - A House Made Of Love / Bring It Over Baby (Grapevine)

Eddie Holman - Hold Me In Your Arms (Grapevine)Eddie Holman - Where I'm not wanted c/w Larks - You Need Love (Goldmine)

Eddie Ray - Wait A Minute (Prix/Numero Group)

Edwin Starr - You got to be foolin (Connioseurs)

Edwin Starr - Has it happened to you yet (Connioseurs)

Emanual Laskey - (Put your Name) In the Hall of Fame (Hayley)

Eric & The Vikings - Hurting - (Kool Kat)

Family Underground - All We Have Is A Song / There Must Be An Answer (Hollygrove)

Family Underground - Nowhere To Love / Our loves Gone By (Hollygrove)

Gigi & The Charmaines / The Mysteries - I Don't Want To Lose Him / Too Late Now (6T's Anniversary)

Gloria Shannon - Tears Are Gifts From Heaven (Realside)

Gwen Owen - Lies / Rain (Mel-ady)

Hoagy Lands - True Love At Last (UK American USA 13)

Hy-Tones / George Jackson - Good News / All In My Mind (6T's Anniversary)

Inspirations - Gotta Find A New Love (Benn-x / Goldmine?)

J J Barnes - Love At First Sight (Hayley)

Jeffree - Love Loan (Expansion)

Jerry Williams - When You Move, You Lose (Grapevine)

Jimmy Ruffin - Leading Lady - Take My Hand (Soul Junction)

Steve Mancha - One in a million (Hayley)

Jimmy Ruffin - We Finally Found Out / Long Version (Soul Junction)

Joey Kingfish - I won't hurt you anymore (Connioseurs)

John Edwards - Tin Man (Kent)

John Edwards / Loleatta Holloway - Ain't That Good Enough / This Man's Arms (6T's Anniversary)

Johnnie Taylor / Judy Clay - Please Let Me In / Since You Came Along (6T's Anniversary)

Johnny Moore - Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow (Grapevine)

Johnny Moore - You Fixed It / Your Way Is My Way (Soul Junction)

Just Brothers - Honey (Hayley)

Lorraine Chandler / Metros - You Only Live Twice / Mr Imagination (6T's Anniversary)

Luther Ingram / Chet Ivey - Baby Don't You Weep / Mata Hari (Kent)

L.V Johnson - Recipe For Love (Goldmine)

Little Ann - Who Are You Trying to Fool (Kent)

Little Bobby Parker - I Won't Believe It (Till I See It) - (UK Shrine/Goldmine)

Loretta Kendrick - My Feelings Keep getting In The Way (Hayley)

Melba Moore - The Magic Touch / Chuck Jackson Ensemble - Little By Little - (6T's Anniversary)

Melba Moore - Magic Touch (Kent)

Melba Moore / Tommy Hunt - Magic Touch (Horaces)

Melvin Davis / Steve Mancha - I need my baby c/w Pat Lewis - Hit and run (Goldmine)

Mill Evans / Millionaires - Ain't You Glad / I'm The One Who Loves You (6T's Anniversary)

Milton Bennett / The Hesitations - What's One More Lie / Go Away (6T's Anniversary)

Mixed Emotions - Am I Imposing - ROCK-WAY

MM & The Peanuts / The Charmaines - Can't Say No / I Idolize You (6T's Anniversary)

Nelson Saunders - It's Real / I Hold The Key (Soul King)

Other Brothers / Bettye Swann - Nobody But Me / The Dance Is Over - (Kent)

Pat Lewis - Genie (Connoiseurs)

Peggy Woods / ZZ Band - Love Is Gonna Get You / You Just Cheat & Lie (6T's Anniversary)

Platters - Not My Girl - 6T's Anniversary 3

Ron Henderson & Choice Of Colour - Nobody Will Ever Take Your Love From Me / Hooked On Your Love (Soul Junction)

Ronnie Walker - Trouble (Impact)

Royal Five - Nobody Else / Don't Stop (P&L)

Rozetta Johnson - You Better Keep What You Got (Shotgun)

Sam Dees - Fool Of The Year (Shotgun)

Sammy Campbell - Hold On Till Tomorrow / For The Love Of You (Hollygrove)

Sammy Campbell - Suga Would Ya / Crazy Bout You (Hollygrove)

San Franciscan TKO's / Peggy Gaines - Make Up Your Mind / When The Boy That You Love (6T's Anniversary)

September Jones - Give Me All Of Your Love (Body & Soul)

Sharon Soul / Barbara Mercer - Girl Crazy / Happiness is here (Connioseurs)

Sons Of Robin Stone - I'm Ready To Give Up My Love / It Only Happens In The Movies

Springers - Who You Gonna Turn To (Wale)

Stella & Gazelles - I'm Not In Love With You Anymore / Topics - Nicer Girl

Sy Hightower - I Wonder Why (Hayley)

Syl Johnson - All I need is someone like you - Grapevine

The Delfonics - You'll Get Enough (Philly Groove)

The Hamptons - No No No Not My Girl - (6T's Anniversary)

The Magicians / Wee Willie Walker - Faith & Understanding / I Don't Want To Take A Chance (6T's Anniversary)

The Marvelettes - Finders keepers / Kim Weston - Do like I do (UK TMG)

The Marvelettes - Reaching for something I can't have (UK TMG)

The Metros - What's Wrong With Your Love / She's Just Not Everybody's Girl (Soul King)

The Servicemen - I'll Stop Loving You (Grapevine)

Thunderbird Sound - In heaven and on earth (Hayley)

Timmy Willis - Such Misery (Joe Boy)

Tony Drake - Hey World / Living In The Footsteps Of Another Man (It's Soul Time)

Wally Cox / Six Teasers - This Man Wants You / Doing The 100 (6T's Anniversary)

List updated - Soul King 45s / Gwen Owen / Tony Drake 45s added + Bobby Reed & Little Bobby Parker UK Shrine 45s / Delfonics added also. think we're there with the 6T's Anniversary / Kent / 45s. Additions / flaws / rants welcome :lol:

Rich

Added: Hollygrove 45s / Unissued material from Goldmine/Connoiseurs / Anita Robins / Bobby Byrd / Marvellettes /

Missing / Contentious 45s???

List Updated.

Rich

Social source share

Was Jr Walkers " I Ain't Going Nowhere" a previously unreleased track ? Remember him doing this at Blackpool Mecca

Sorry Don - this was taken from the LP "Peace and understanding" on Soul 738 (1973).

Released on a 45 due to spins from the LP at all nighters :D

I can recall it played at Wigan and it was from the LP, the 45 wasn't released until later.

Which actually made it almost a new release at the time!

Oh, Eddie - the Marvelettes "Reaching for something I can't have" was also an LP track, it came from the "Sophisticated soul" LP on Tamla 286 (1968)

The 45 you mentioned was a re-issue of an earlier UK release (TMG 701) from 1969)

Still trying to think of something else to add to the list...

Social source share

Sorry Don - this was taken from the LP "Peace and understanding" on Soul 738 (1973).

Released on a 45 due to spins from the LP at all nighters :lol:

I can recall it played at Wigan and it was from the LP, the 45 wasn't released until later.

Which actually made it almost a new release at the time!

Oh, Eddie - the Marvelettes "Reaching for something I can't have" was also an LP track, it came from the "Sophisticated soul" LP on Tamla 286 (1968)

The 45 you mentioned was a re-issue of an earlier UK release (TMG 701) from 1969)

Still trying to think of something else to add to the list...

Thanks John , didn't realise Marvelettes was on that album .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Benji - Its got f*** all to do with the 'soul police' - The thread was started as a previously unissued material on 45 as I thought it was generally the preferred medium. Quite happy for folk to fight it out re. Garland Green et al - I personally wasn't aware it had come out on an LP but there is an argument that as a piece of unissued material available on 45 for the first time it's inclusion may be warranted. I'm laying no laws down here as such and am happy to be corrected and as it goes material on 12" / LP etc is more than welcome as I've stated in another thread the music is there to be highlighted and can often get lost. You want to kick off a 12"/LP thread Benji?

I've already changed the title of the thread to suit one person - you want me to change it again?

Brett - Of course how can we forget Anita Robins!! Will update the list later on. Thanks for the input (and everyone else)

Rich

Rich,

maybe I should have added a smilie to "soul police" as it was meant to light-hearted. I know that general consent was not to include 12". Somehow it's not that easy to be ironic or sarcastic in a different language...

Social source share

Previously Unreleased tracks on 45

Aleshure Shower The World (Phoenix)

Anita robbins / Chuck Brooks - I Can't Stand It / Last Minute Plans (Grapevine)

Barbara & the Browns - I'm Gonna Start A War (Kent)

Bobby Byrd - Thank you for your love (Contempo)

Bobby Reed - Caledonia Brown / Baby Dont You Leave (UK Shrine/Goldmine)

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You / Prophets Band - Peaches Baby (6T's Anniversary)

Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You (Horaces)

Charles Brimmer - Show & Tell (Hayley)

Chubby Checker / Teardrops - You Can't Lose Something / Here Comes Loneliness (6T's Anniversary)

Chuck Jackson / Superb Strings - What's With This Loneliness / Surf n Soul (6T's Anniversary)

Danny Cobus / Chico & Buddy - The Two Of Us / You Won't Miss The Water (Kent)

David Sea - Believe In Me - (Shotgun)

Dean Courtney / Sharon Scott - Today Is My Day / Putting My Heart Under Lock & key (6T's Anniversary)

Debra Johnson / Diplomats - To Get Love You've Got To Give Love / I Really Love You (6T's Anniversary)

Diane Lewis JJ Barnes - Keep a hold on me / Sweet honey baby (Goldmine)

Devonnes / Mayberry Movement - Doin' The Gittin' Up / I See Him Making Love to You (6T's Anniversary)

Doni Burdick - Candle / Watcha gonna Do (Soul King)

Eddie Holman - Hold Me In Your Arms (Grapevine)Eddie Holman - Where I'm not wanted c/w Larks - You Need Love (Goldmine)

Eddie Ray - Wait A Minute (Prix/Numero Group)

Edwin Starr - You got to be foolin (Connioseurs)

Edwin Starr - Has it happened to you yet (Connioseurs)

Emanual Laskey - (Put your Name) In the Hall of Fame (Hayley)

Eric & The Vikings - Hurting - (Kool Kat)

Family Underground - All We Have Is A Song / There Must Be An Answer (Hollygrove)

Family Underground - Nowhere To Love / Our loves Gone By (Hollygrove)

Gigi & The Charmaines / The Mysteries - I Don't Want To Lose Him / Too Late Now (6T's Anniversary)

Gwen Owen - Lies / Rain (Mel-ady)

Hoagy Lands - True Love At Last (UK American USA 13)

Hy-Tones / George Jackson - Good News / All In My Mind (6T's Anniversary)

Inspirations - Gotta Find A New Love (Benn-x / Goldmine?)

J J Barnes - Love At First Sight (Hayley)

Jeffree - Love Loan (Expansion)

Jimmy Ruffin - Leading Lady - Take My Hand (Soul Junction)

Steve Mancha - One in a million (Hayley)

Jimmy Ruffin - We Finally Found Out / Long Version (Soul Junction)

Joey Kingfish - I won't hurt you anymore (Connioseurs)

John Edwards - Tin Man (Kent)

John Edwards / Loleatta Holloway - Ain't That Good Enough / This Man's Arms (6T's Anniversary)

Johnnie Taylor / Judy Clay - Please Let Me In / Since You Came Along (6T's Anniversary)

Johnny Moore - You Fixed It / Your Way Is My Way (Soul Junction)

Just Brothers - Honey (Hayley)

Lorraine Chandler / Metros - You Only Live Twice / Mr Imagination (6T's Anniversary)

Luther Ingram / Chet Ivey - Baby Don't You Weep / Mata Hari (Kent)

L.V Johnson - Recipe For Love (Goldmine)

Little Ann - Who Are You Trying to Fool (Kent)

Little Bobby Parker - I Won't Believe It (Till I See It) - (UK Shrine/Goldmine)

Loretta Kendrick - My Feelings Keep getting In The Way (Hayley)

Melba Moore - The Magic Touch / Chuck Jackson Ensemble - Little By Little - (6T's Anniversary)

Melba Moore - Magic Touch (Kent)

Melba Moore / Tommy Hunt - Magic Touch (Horaces)

Melvin Davis / Steve Mancha - I need my baby c/w Pat Lewis - Hit and run (Goldmine)

Mill Evans / Millionaires - Ain't You Glad / I'm The One Who Loves You (6T's Anniversary)

Milton Bennett / The Hesitations - What's One More Lie / Go Away (6T's Anniversary)

Mixed Emotions - Am I Imposing - ROCK-WAY

MM & The Peanuts / The Charmaines - Can't Say No / I Idolize You (6T's Anniversary)

Nelson Saunders - It's Real / I Hold The Key (Soul King)

Other Brothers / Bettye Swann - Nobody But Me / The Dance Is Over - (Kent)

Pat Lewis - Genie (Connoiseurs)

Peggy Woods / ZZ Band - Love Is Gonna Get You / You Just Cheat & Lie (6T's Anniversary)

Platters - Not My Girl - 6T's Anniversary 3

Ron Henderson & Choice Of Colour - Nobody Will Ever Take Your Love From Me / Hooked On Your Love (Soul Junction)

Ronnie Walker - Trouble (Impact)

Royal Five - Nobody Else / Don't Stop (P&L)

Sammy Campbell - Hold On Till Tomorrow / For The Love Of You (Hollygrove)

Sammy Campbell - Suga Would Ya / Crazy Bout You (Hollygrove)

San Franciscan TKO's / Peggy Gaines - Make Up Your Mind / When The Boy That You Love (6T's Anniversary)

September Jones - Give Me All Of Your Love (Body & Soul)

Sharon Soul / Barbara Mercer - Girl Crazy / Happiness is here (Connioseurs)

Sons Of Robin Stone - I'm Ready To Give Up My Love / It Only Happens In The Movies

Springers - Who You Gonna Turn To (Wale)

Stella & Gazelles - I'm Not In Love With You Anymore / Topics - Nicer Girl

Sy Hightower - I Wonder Why (Hayley)

Syl Johnson - All I need is someone like you - Grapevine

The Delfonics - You'll Get Enough (Philly Groove)

The Hamptons - No No No Not My Girl - (6T's Anniversary)

The Magicians / Wee Willie Walker - Faith & Understanding / I Don't Want To Take A Chance (6T's Anniversary)

The Marvelettes - Finders keepers / Kim Weston - Do like I do (UK TMG)

The Marvelettes - Reaching for something I can't have (UK TMG)

The Metros - What's Wrong With Your Love / She's Just Not Everybody's Girl (Soul King)

Thunderbird Sound - In heaven and on earth (Hayley)

Tony Drake - Hey World / Living In The Footsteps Of Another Man (It's Soul Time)

Wally Cox / Six Teasers - This Man Wants You / Doing The 100 (6T's Anniversary)

List updated - Soul King 45s / Gwen Owen / Tony Drake 45s added + Bobby Reed & Little Bobby Parker UK Shrine 45s / Delfonics added also. think we're there with the 6T's Anniversary / Kent / 45s. Additions / flaws / rants welcome :lol:

Rich

Added: Hollygrove 45s / Unissued material from Goldmine/Connoiseurs / Anita Robins / Bobby Byrd / Marvellettes /

Missing / Contentious 45s???

List Updated.

Rich

Hi Rich , the Gwen Owens isn't actually by her , it's an unissued side by Purple Mist , which was supposed to garner a release on Sussex .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Shouldn't we include that one too?

Yes, I suppose it should be on the list, Steve ...subject to official acceptance by the Executive Committee and their highly-paid consultants.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

On a light-hearted note, when this fascinating thread is exhausted we should start a thread about previously unissued tracks which should have remained unissued!

That will be fun.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

.....................and i'm damn glad it's not me administering the list!

Rich you have all my sympathies mate BUT you're doing an excellent job!

Just a few more thoughts?..............i believe the list is of previously unreleased tracks that have since been legally issued on 45? This would mean Garland Green's 'Come thru me' would qualify even tho' it did get an initial release on a Kent LP BUT at the time it was unreleased from years before? (The LP is of course the 'original' release BUT that's not the point of this thread!)

G C Cameron on Flamingo shouldn't qualify cos it was a new release at the time wasn't it? (simply being a UK only 45 doesn't qualify it does it?).

Same should go for Bobby McClure on Island, Bobby Byrd on Contempo etc?

Percy Stone shouldn't count as it was released.

Barons should as it was acetate only.

Marvelettes LP track shouldn't count?

Duane Williams on Soul Junction is a new release isn't it and shouldn't qualify?

Side Effect came out on an LP at the time and therefore shouldn't count?

...........and finally (to pi** Sean off :thumbsup: )..............Aleshure..........(relatively) new release at the time that had already been out on CD? (going for my hard hat!)

What's the jury think?

What a list though!

The next thread of unreleased stuff from LP/12" & CD's should be interesting :D

So many questions??? I can see Rich's headache coming on from here.............

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

How about those great 70's sides that Rod Dearlove released in the 80's / 90's : Jo Armstead - Got my taste of the honey c/w Won't you join my caravan [ Preacher rose ] and Flowers - We can make it happen ? Best ,Eddie

Yes and Yes Eddie!

Think a lot of folks forget Flowers came out in 1989/1990!!!!!!!! Still goes for big bucks tho!

JA from same sessions as 'I got the vibes'

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

List updated...

Eddie Holman - Hold Me In Your Arms (Grapevine)

Jimmy Ruffin - We Finally Found Out (Soul Junction)

Johnnie Taylor - Please Let Me In (Kent) ?

Primers - How Does It Grab You (Kent)

Contours - Baby Hit And Run (Tamla Motown)

Social source share

As far as I know "Run Run Run" remained unissued until Soul Brother issued it on CD/LP and 7" a bunch of years ago. Or am I wrong? :thumbsup:

I have the LP on Gaslight (or summat like that, can't remember off top of me head?) from 1973

It is dead rare BUT it did come out.......although it may be demo only which still wouldn't make it eligible imho :D ?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I have the LP on Gaslight (or summat like that, can't remember off top of me head?) from 1973

It is dead rare BUT it did come out.......although it may be demo only which still wouldn't make it eligible imho :g: ?

Wow! You're right, I just checked it up.

"Effective" on GAS Records from 1973.

I had no idea about that! :D

Please ignore my suggestion above. :thumbsup:

Social source share

What about Earl Van Dykes All Day All Night (Tamla Motown) from 2005, with Supremes Honey Bee on the other side. Also about the same time wasn't Chris Clarks version of Do I Love You released on 7"?

I've just read the five pages of posts and thought nobody's mentioned Chris Clark and Do i love you and then the above appeared.Well done you bastard:0

Social source share

.....................and i'm damn glad it's not me administering the list!

Rich you have all my sympathies mate BUT you're doing an excellent job!

Just a few more thoughts?..............i believe the list is of previously unreleased tracks that have since been legally issued on 45? This would mean Garland Green's 'Come thru me' would qualify even tho' it did get an initial release on a Kent LP BUT at the time it was unreleased from years before? (The LP is of course the 'original' release BUT that's not the point of this thread!)

G C Cameron on Flamingo shouldn't qualify cos it was a new release at the time wasn't it? (simply being a UK only 45 doesn't qualify it does it?).

Same should go for Bobby McClure on Island, Bobby Byrd on Contempo etc?

Percy Stone shouldn't count as it was released.

Barons should as it was acetate only.

Marvelettes LP track shouldn't count?

Duane Williams on Soul Junction is a new release isn't it and shouldn't qualify?

Side Effect came out on an LP at the time and therefore shouldn't count?

...........and finally (to pi** Sean off :thumbsup: )..............Aleshure..........(relatively) new release at the time that had already been out on CD? (going for my hard hat!)

What's the jury think?

What a list though!

The next thread of unreleased stuff from LP/12" & CD's should be interesting :thumbup:

So many questions??? I can see Rich's headache coming on from here.............

Cheers

Steve

Yep agree with above Steve = most of the above aren't on the list (Wasn't sure about a couple). Some great new suggestions and will update tomorrow due to having a very long day working. Agree on the Garland Green tho. Not a headache at all more back ache from todays merriment of a days hard graft!

Thanks to evreryone so far!

Rich

Social source share

Yep. Established that the single came out 3 months before the album appeared, so the Contours should deffo be on the list.

Ian D :thumbsup:

Thought we'd worked this one out last week , still seems a bit of confusion

Don't also forget the Contours "Baby hit and run" - this was definitely played from the Music for Pleasure album, long before the 45 was released. yes.gif

Anyone have definitive release dates?

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

In that case - sell me a US issue!!! :yes:

.......well I know a guy with a demo will that do?........a Mr K Burrell esq.

Plays the guitar apparently :D:(laugh.gif

........another lad called T.Brown has one too, think he was in some skiffle group or summat? (well that's Joe Brown but that's the best i could come up with) :lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry i'm going for me coat!

Social source share

.......well I know a guy with a demo will that do?........a Mr K Burrell esq.

Plays the guitar apparently :D:(laugh.gif

........another lad called T.Brown has one too, think he was in some skiffle group or summat? (well that's Joe Brown but that's the best i could come up with) :lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry i'm going for me coat!

Is a demo classed as an issue ? If you get my meaning !!

Social source share

well yes i think in the context of this thread............imho!

do we all agree?

......if we don't this will open a reet big bag of worms :)

Just to muddy the waters even further - if a record is only on a demo it can not possibly have had a legal issue - it is for demonstation purposes only & not for re-sale - ergo never had a legal issue - "oh bugger I've just opened that can of worms Mr.P. :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert