Where Do Northern And Modern Meet?

What do you reckon is the 'One Record' that compliments both differing scenes??

Probably loads of different opinions so will record prevail or will even two people agree

on one?

My choice would be 'Heartaches And Pain'-Pages

But that's me,anyway

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Probably loads of different opinions so will record prevail or will even two people agree

on one?

But that's me,anyway

Would have agreed with you in 1981 biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i'd suggest northern and modern meet in a dark alley one night where northern can kick the shite out of the disco lover biggrin.gif

Social source share

i'd suggest northern and modern meet in a dark alley one night where northern can kick the shite out of the disco lover biggrin.gif

After such a typical comment I guess the tune ought to be "We Are One" UBP - but I guess not :ohmy:

Social source share

But that's me,anyway

to me that is just an oldie...70's northern if you like but wouldn't think of it as modern.

Is there any out and out modern that has crossed over to the northern rooms with any great success in recent times?

Social source share

to me that is just an oldie...70's northern if you like but wouldn't think of it as modern.

Is there any out and out modern that has crossed over to the northern rooms with any great success in recent times?

Hi Chalky

Two that come to mind are:

Love Don't Live - Michael Procter

We Are One - UBP feat Bobby Pruitt

must be others

Barry

Social source share

The odd thing crosses over now & again - Joi Cardwell - Angie Stone - Mario Biondi etc. Strangely enough there was probably more "modern" tunes played in the mid to late seventies on the Northern scene than any other time - ie Gentlemen & Their Lady - Brainstorm - Eddie Holman - Gil Scott Heron - Norma Jenkins - Millie Jackson - Tavares - Moments - Larry Saunders etc were all reasonably popular as new releases on both scenes.

You also have to bear in mind that certain factions of the Northern scene decided that early R&B records from the late 50s & early 60s was the way to go.

Social source share

i'd suggest northern and modern meet in a dark alley one night where northern can kick the shite out of the disco lover :lol:

The Northern fans would only get two blows in, then they would argue about who threw the first punch - or was it a kick - if it was a kick what sort of shoes were they wearing - were they original brogues or was it a loafer - if it was a loafer were they red or black & what length were the tassles.

In the meantime the modern fans would have buggered off to the gig & just set about enjoying themselves on the dancefloor. :lol:

Social source share

Davie Just tell me the name of the ALLEY :lol:

i'LL BE IN MY FLARES AND YOU WILL GET THE BIGGEST LAPEL LASHING OF YOUR LIFE.

:lol:

VIOLENCE PROMOTES NOTHING :lol: APART FROM THE NEED FOR A FIRST AID KIT :lol:

:D:lol: ..

GMAN ...DISCO DANCER EXTRAORDINAIRE,

"DO A LITTLE DANCE................. MAKE A LITTLE LOVE.........................GET DOWN TONIGHT"

.JUST

i'd suggest northern and modern meet in a dark alley one night where northern can kick the shite out of the disco lover :D
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

In the meantime the modern fans would have buggered off to the gig & just set about enjoying themselves on the dancefloor. :lol:

is that before or after they raid their kids wardrobe to dress 25 years younger than they are :lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Davie Just tell me the name of the ALLEY :lol:

i'LL BE IN MY FLARES AND YOU WILL GET THE BIGGEST LAPEL LASHING OF YOUR LIFE.

VIOLENCE PROMOTES NOTHING :lol: APART FROM THE NEED FOR A FIRST AID KIT :lol:

:D:lol: ..

GMAN ...DISCO DANCER EXTRAORDINAIRE,

"DO A LITTLE DANCE................. MAKE A LITTLE LOVE.........................GET DOWN TONIGHT"

.JUST

Hey us R&B types will be standing watching :D we're lovers not fighters :D

Social source share

Joseph Webster?

Or, was that first played in a northern room?

Social source share

on one?

But that's me,anyway

I can think of a few.. I've heard Mel Britt played in a few modern rooms, The Dells - Make sure as an ender, Curtis Mayfield - move on up frequently played in both, it's a modern room anthem, yet also played in a northern oldies spot. There are so many. All my favourite kinda thing.

that Lenny Williams track that went on forever (gotta lotta love?), Ivan Mattias, Dry z Bone, all what I call 'northern modern' (the kinda stuff that gets played when a northern DJ does a modern spot!) not that there is anything wrong with that..

I'll stop digging now!

Social source share

They'd have to meet in a parallel universe nowadays..........

"Modern soul" tunes played in Northern rooms are generally played at least 5+ years after they feature in Modern rooms :lol:

lol :lol: that's kinda what I meant too.

Jayne.x

Social source share

lol :lol: that's kinda what I meant too.

Jayne.x

Its all NS if it gets played & danced to, why do we have to pick everything to bits, as said previously in my little world in the late seventies, it was all played in the same set without differentiating & I would dance to most records, I thought of it all as NS..............wish it was like that now, the best soul records all played in one venue, one room & you just all get on with it, if you dont like a record dont dance............

Where's Pete............? :lol:

Russ

Social source share

They'd have to meet in a parallel universe nowadays..........

"Modern soul" tunes played in Northern rooms are generally played at least 5+ years after they feature in Modern rooms :lol:

:lol: DJ's will play an upfront 6ts tune, so why not play a suitable/appropriate new release or Modern tune.......just like it used to be, no bottle methinks :lol: , play everything thats any good together in one room...........the dancers will let you know what they like...........

Russ

Social source share

:lol: DJ's will play an upfront 6ts tune, so why not play a suitable/appropriate new release or Modern tune.......just like it used to be, no bottle methinks :lol: , play everything thats any good together in one room...........the dancers will let you know what they like...........

Russ

That is a very good call :lol: , just leave out the late 50's early 60's R&B stuff :lol:

Phil

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It would have to be Elipsis, innit.

Social source share

is that before or after they raid their kids wardrobe to dress 25 years younger than they are :lol:

As opposed to the "sophisticated" look of 40 inch bags - badges & beer towels :lol: .

Edited by epic
Social source share

Its all NS if it gets played & danced to, why do we have to pick everything to bits, as said previously in my little world in the late seventies, it was all played in the same set without differentiating & I would dance to most records, I thought of it all as NS..............wish it was like that now, the best soul records all played in one venue, one room & you just all get on with it, if you dont like a record dont dance............

Russ

Right On thumbsup.gif

Social source share

i'd suggest northern and modern meet in a dark alley one night where northern can kick the shite out of the disco lover :lol:

The northern fan, now 50+ throws the first frantic volly of punches. Then struggles to get his breath, has a massive heart attack and die's. :shades:

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

But it doesn't matter since it's turned 2am, and the Modern fan has gone home for his bedtime Horlicks.

Ohh eer missus

Northern modern my arse iv,e always liked SOUL MUSIC its all Soul really

David Ruffin

Walk Away From Love

Willie Tee

Walkin Up A One Way Street

do they come any better

cu in the Scratchin Shed

Dranny

Social source share

Guest sandi

thumbsup.gif DJ's will play an upfront 6ts tune, so why not play a suitable/appropriate new release or Modern tune.......just like it used to be, no bottle methinks wicked.gif , play everything thats any good together in one room...........the dancers will let you know what they like...........

Russ

TRUELY A MAN THAT SPEAKS MY LANGUAGE.

Social source share

Russ

Great post Russ. Like that even earlier as well, as the Mecca playlist thread shows. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Revilot1957

Two songs sum-up the original question for me .........

Slap-Band in the middle of the weld (If indeed, there is one) .......

Voices of East Harlem - 'Cashing in'.

Bobby Taylor - 'There are roses somewhere'.

Social source share

Guest east rob

When you say "modern" do you mean "modern" as in today or the last few years or simply 70's northern oldies?

a great modern tune that would go in todays northern rooms- tortured soul,"home to you" on dome records.

modern as in today. thumbup.gif

cheers, rob https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=affU0qItlW8

Edited by east rob
Social source share

When you say "modern" do you mean "modern" as in today or the last few years or simply 70's northern oldies?

I reckon it's become the most non-descriptive and often misused term on the scene, Chalks, (along with 'Crossover' of course :D ).

The definitions seem to be so subjective and personal these days.

The term Modern Soul has certainly lost any true and broadly accepted identity.

The descriptions, I see on here, tend to fall under the following:

Definition 1 - Modern Soul - Recently recorded Soul Music.

Definition 2 - Modern soul - All Soul Music recorded after 1969 up until today.

Definition 3 - Modern Soul - Any Soul Music from the 70's and Early 80's played on the Northern Scene.

Definition 4 - Modern Soul - Not Northern.

Definition 5 - Modern Soul - Disco.

There may be other interpretations, but those tend to be the main ones.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

I reckon it's become the most non-descriptive and often misused term on the scene, Chalks, (along with 'Crossover' of course :D ).

The definitions seem to be so subjective and personal these days.

The term Modern Soul has certainly lost any true and broadly accepted identity.

The descriptions, I see on here, tend to fall under the following:

Definition 1 - Modern Soul - Recently recorded Soul Music.

Definition 2 - Modern soul - All Soul Music recorded after 1969 up until today.

Definition 3 - Modern Soul - Any Soul Music from the 70's and Early 80's played on the Northern Scene.

Definition 4 - Modern Soul - Not Northern.

Definition 5 - Modern Soul - Disco.

There may be other interpretations, but those tend to be the main ones.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Too hot in the sun is it Sean ? :D

Social source share

Surely the answer is they once met on the dancefloor slapping high 5's while having a great time, where now they seem to meet at some darkened crossroads where some dodgy dealing has to be done before you can mix the 2!!

Evolution not Revolution I seem to remember someone using as a slogan, at current rate of evolution records from the 80's should hit the current scene about 2075, when only the 2 15 year old DJ's will be alive!"

As an aside I do think it quite amusing the number of crossover/modern bits that seem to be springing up out of recent converts and playlists consist of records that were so hammered 20 years ago they have become todays forgotten sounds, a bit of irony in there methinks , that and they fact they seem to be favouring cheesy sounds closer to Benny Troy than Bobby Womack makes me look forward to the evolving scene...............!

Social source share

Surely the answer is they once met on the dancefloor slapping high 5's while having a great time, where now they seem to meet at some darkened crossroads where some dodgy dealing has to be done before you can mix the 2!!

Evolution not Revolution I seem to remember someone using as a slogan, at current rate of evolution records from the 80's should hit the current scene about 2075, when only the 2 15 year old DJ's will be alive!"

As an aside I do think it quite amusing the number of crossover/modern bits that seem to be springing up out of recent converts and playlists consist of records that were so hammered 20 years ago they have become todays forgotten sounds, a bit of irony in there methinks , that and they fact they seem to be favouring cheesy sounds closer to Benny Troy than Bobby Womack makes me look forward to the evolving scene...............!

You've hit several nails absolutely on their heads there, and I look forward to agreeing with you even more entirely at Essence, whilst not quite the darkened crossroads, more of a well lit avenue :D

Know what you mean about the recent converts too, still at least they made it over the line (well those that didn't bring Benny Troy with them that is :P )

See ya at the bar

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

You've hit several nails absolutely on their heads there, and I look forward to agreeing with you even more entirely at Essence, whilst not quite the darkened crossroads, more of a well lit avenue :D

Know what you mean about the recent converts too, still at least they made it over the line (well those that didn't bring Benny Troy with them that is :D )

See ya at the bar

benny troy......he was brill at prestatyn....top modern tune lol :P:lol:

Social source share

i'd suggest northern and modern meet in a dark alley one night where northern can kick the shite out of the disco lover :D

Or they could meet like great friends in a place where there's no such thing as a musical divide........... :D

Creative Soul.........Northern through Modern......and everything in between.........just great SOUL music wink.gif

Just the way it is :thumbup:

Social source share

on one?

But that's me,anyway

I don't know. Can't just nail it to one.......it's like finding a corner in a round room.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert