Artists Who Have Participated On Soul Source

Soul Source has obviously been running a long time now, and occasionally I have seen actual artists come on and join in, such as Lorraine Chandler.

Anybody kept a list of others?

Maybe they are members who just 'listen in'?

Perhaps some have even started a topic?

Maybe some are reading this thread and would like to 'add their name? 

Social source share

Calvin Richardson appear on the Essential Modern Soul forum to defend himself from a lot of unwarranted criticism for daring to release a CD of Bobby Womack covers. Cue some red faces. It was very funny.

Edited by daved
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On Soulful Detroit we had Joe Hunter, Mike McLean, Bob Ohlsson Clay McMurray, Spyder Turner, Ron Murphy, Ralph Terrana, Russ Terrana, Bob Babbit, Ray Monette, Weldon McDougall, Scherrie Payne, Bobbi Eli, Dennis Coffey, Kris Peterson, Frances Nero, Caesar of The Tymes, and some others post fairly regularly over many or several years, plus Jack Ashford, Lorraine Chandler, Cal Gill, Marshall Crenshaw, and many more make a few or several posts during short periods.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Robb

Is Bobby Eli still on there? I'd love to quiz him about some of his guitar work...

No!  Bobby and several other top regulars (some of them artists, musicians and production people, and major collectors) left Soulful Detroit, when they and Ralph Terrana had disagreements over how Soulful Detroit should be run and moderated, after David Meikle left.  It was a major schism.  I miss their posting on SDF.  Currently, there is a lot less posting of technical music and musical history topics on that forum.  We used to have a lot of discussion about production, recording procedures, contracts, company ownership, label scans, and details of what went on back in the day.  Now, most posts there are about what new CDs and digital offerings are on the market, and posters' opinions of songs, and gossip about remaining singing artists. 

The schism and their leaving happened a long time ago (perhaps as early as 2007 or 2009?).  They all went to another Soul forum.  I joined there, too.  But there wasn't much posting action there.  I've forgotten the name and address of that forum.

Social source share

The schism and their leaving happened a long time ago (perhaps as early as 2007 or 2009?).  They all went to another Soul forum.  I joined there, too.  But there wasn't much posting action there.  I've forgotten the name and address of that forum.

The "other forum" died out after a short while if I remember correctly. Wasn't it called sixties detroit or something?

Social source share

The "other forum" died out after a short while if I remember correctly. Wasn't it called sixties detroit or something?

Yes, I believe so.  But, they ALL moved, intact, to another Soul Forum.  I suppose, if one googles "Soul music forums", and visits all the listings, it would be possible to find where they are now.  None of them returned to Soulful Detroit.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

On Soulful Detroit we had Joe Hunter, Mike McLean, Bob Ohlsson Clay McMurray, Spyder Turner, Ron Murphy, Ralph Terrana, Russ Terrana, Bob Babbit, Ray Monette, Weldon McDougall, Scherrie Payne, Bobbi Eli, Dennis Coffey, Kris Peterson, Frances Nero, Caesar of The Tymes, and some others post fairly regularly over many or several years, plus Jack Ashford, Lorraine Chandler, Cal Gill, Marshall Crenshaw, and many more make a few or several posts during short periods.

Was Soulful Detroit where we gave the money for the Darrell Banks memorial ?

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Warren Schatz posted briefly in relation to his and 3rd Time Around 'Soon Everything......'

Said their version was much more polished.

Didn't get chance to ask him about Ola and the Janglers...

Social source share

On "Motown Junkies", we have had Cornell Blakely, Robert Dobyne, Frances Nero, Carolyn Crawford, Ray Oddis (Otis),  and some others posted or still post, plus several children of '60s artists.  We have also had some children of '60s artists post on Soulful Detroit.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

It'd still be lovely to say thanks to the remaining heroes and heroines who haven't called in. Time marches on I'm afraid. Without wishing to score brownie points, it was me that got Darryl Stewart on here. Lovely bloke. I had a hand in Cecil Washington too though others had got to him before me, obviously. He didn't hang around long. Lots or them are on Facebook but how interactive with their fans they are is another question. I was immensely chuffed this year when Gwen Owens wished me a happy birthday. A soul artist wine tour led by Ady Croasdell and Lorraine Chandler would make my day and year! Ideas!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

The issues with Soulful Detroit commenced circa 2005 and escalated from there. It was on that forum I met both Bobby Eli and Dennis Coffey who then became the contractors and co producers/writers of the material recorded in Detroit and Philly I was involved with. We all chatted about SoulfulDetroit and its positive impact on many at the Soulful Tale session in March 2006. I realised then, that this would be the studio I hire in 2008. I wrote my songs well before I decided to commit to Detroit and wrote 'Tell me' in 2004 specifically for Spyder Turner who also frequented that forum. He did not know at the time, but I had realised that someday I would be there...and so would he. I have another track written at the same time for him called 'Never too late'. Maybe one day I cut it. Come in Spyder? To think that the 4 cuts I did in Detroit featured the following SD members in the studio: Spyder Turner, Dennis Coffey, Ray Monette, Bob Babbitt!

The Darrell Banks memorial project was a David Miekle initiative. On our visit to Detroit in 2003, when we found his unmarked grave (no. 539), David said out loud how disgraceful this was and that we should not let it stay like this and somehow pay for an appropriate head stone. A fund was started and bingo. The story hit the wires and I contacted Fox News in Detroit through my Sky connections and they covered the story too. The cemetery attendant who helped us find the grave wept when he realised why we were there and how far we had travelled. He was familiar with the story when the shooting took place.

The incident(s) on Soulful Detroit were about human nature and extremely acrimonious at times. It was sad to read some of the thoughtless comments. There were many participating on SD, many esteemed guests and individuals just looking in. Some of the dialogue was inappropriate and very hurtful to many. 'It's only a forum' was said many times to me, but because of that forum I did my sessions! The early days were electric. Everything you needed to know about certain records, their production, the engineers, musicians etc. Fantastic. Trivia like Ken Sand the recording engineer on The Magic Tones/'We shall over come' (MAHS), rolled to record, walked into the studio and played the tambourine on the record! He also coined the name 'Disco Lady' for the Johnny Taylor track and got a nominal fee for it.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

The issues with Soulful Detroit commenced circa 2005 and escalated from there. It was on that forum I met both Bobby Eli and Dennis Coffey who then became the contractors and co producers/writers of the material recorded in Detroit and Philly I was involved with. We all chatted about SoulfulDetroit and its positive impact on many at the Soulful Tale session in March 2006. I realised then, that this would be the studio I hire in 2008. I wrote my songs well before I decided to commit to Detroit and wrote 'Tell me' in 2004 specifically for Spyder Turner who also frequented that forum. He did not know at the time, but I had realised that someday I would be there...and so would he. I have another track written at the same time for him called 'Never too late'. Maybe one day I cut it. Come in Spyder? To think that the 4 cuts I did in Detroit featured the following SD members in the studio: Spyder Turner, Dennis Coffey, Ray Monette, Bob Babbitt!

The Darrell Banks memorial project was a David Miekle initiative. On our visit to Detroit in 2003, when we found his unmarked grave (no. 539), David said out loud how disgraceful this was and that we should not let it stay like this and somehow pay for an appropriate head stone. A fund was started and bingo. The story hit the wires and I contacted Fox News in Detroit through my Sky connections and they covered the story too. The cemetery attendant who helped us find the grave wept when he realised why we were there and how far we had travelled. He was familiar with the story when the shooting took place.

The incident(s) on Soulful Detroit were about human nature and extremely acrimonious at times. It was sad to read some of the thoughtless comments. There were many participating on SD, many esteemed guests and individuals just looking in. Some of the dialogue was inappropriate and very hurtful to many. 'It's only a forum' was said many times to me, but because of that forum I did my sessions! The early days were electric. Everything you needed to know about certain records, their production, the engineers, musicians etc. Fantastic. Trivia like Ken Sand the recording engineer on The Magic Tones/'We shall over come' (MAHS), rolled to record, walked into the studio and played the tambourine on the record! He also coined the name 'Disco Lady' for the Johnny Taylor track and got a nominal fee for it.

Yes, Carl.  The early days of Soulful Detroit (2002-2006) were truly classical.  We had a lot of industry people as regular posters (as I listed above - singing artists, musicians, producers, label owners, sound engineers and major record collectors.  We had many classical informational threads, with personal histories and stories of what happened back in the day, discographies and threads with multiple hundreds of high-quality scans.  Part of my expertise on Detroit R&B and Soul came from what I learned from many of those people, and we major Detroit collectors pooled our knowledge, and discographies and scans so that we filled in a lot of the "missing" records in label runs (just as we do on Soul-Source).  That forum is now a shadow of what it was during its first half of its existence.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Indeed Robb. It was prolific wasn't it! It was so sad what happened. It brought the best and worst out in people and the communication issues because we used a forum to try and communicate, without eye to eye contact or body language etc. The wrong end of the stick a lot of the time lol. At one time Motown drummer Uriel Jones posted a few times and he was on my session! That was the power of that site. But...like all good things.....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!