I Believe In Miracles - Mark Capanni

hearing this was similar to hearing the original version of "betcha by golly wow" by connie stevens -- bizarre and not bad and totally unexpected, but not as good as the stylistics:

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=ytksbAHzP38

Well, blow me down LOL. You learn something new every day. Prefer the Stylistics obviously and Connie Stevens has zero soul but I do actually like some of this stuff like the Mark Capanni, Len Barry, Johnny Caswell, Anderson Brothers etc 'cos at least they had the right production values. Even though I obviously prefer Soulful vocals I'm not completely adverse to hearing a white voice every now and then as long as the production works.

But, yes, I kinda concurr that if, say, Cleveland Horne did the vocals on the same backing track as Mark Capanni that would be a record made in heaven........

Ian D :D

Social source share

• Replies 124
  • Views 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

https://www.facebook....60510690&ref=mf

could be him ???? g.gif but you can't ask him the request...however for napoli quotation and for his surname...something from italy here!!!

hatsoff2.gif

Looks like it's the same guy "This British radio show played my song, "I Believe In Miracles" (the original version with me singing it) on January 17th, 2010. Hit PLAY and scroll to the 78-minute mark and start listening. Now, I just wonder if, how and when I'm going to get my royalties from this. :-)"

edit* ah, see you'd already answered that one smile.gif

Edited by Jason S
Social source share

Not half as bemused as I am!

laugh.gif

Sean

Stranger things have happened Sean - Benny Troy frightened the hell out of me when I stumbled into him in the dead of night @ Prestatyn last year @ 4.00 am......

.....and I wouldn't want to meet Bobby Paris on a dark night anywhere LOL.......

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=xhLBgCY-IO4

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Yep Paul, the magic suitcase with 400 odd records in for £25 including a nice Art Freeman on red Atlantic!

Thanks for the loan Dad!

Ian D biggrin.gif

I was thinking more on the lines of (I need a word with you in my office Mr Slater),your farther to a young employee...:rolleyes:

Paul.

Social source share

I was thinking more on the lines of (I need a word with you in my office Mr Slater),your farther to a young employee...unsure.gif

Paul.

Oh I see Paul. Yep Graham Slater has a lot to answer for LOL. He fanned the flames at a very impressionable point in my life and it's been downhill ever since! laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

So if Mark Capanni's version was recorded first (as I've been informed), then how come it took Capitol 14 months to issue the original on a promo?

According to Don Peake's homepage (he was the arranger/band leader on the Mark Capanni 45s) all three tunes on the two 45s were recorded during one session on the 23rd of July 1974.

There most likely WAS a demo recording made by Mark prior to the Jackson Sisters version, but the music on the Capitol 45s was recorded some 6-8 months after the Jackson Sisters version had been released.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

According to Don Peake's homepage (he was the arranger/band leader on the Mark Capanni 45s) all three tunes on the two 45s were recorded during one session on the 23rd of July 1974.

There most likely WAS a demo recording made by Mark prior to the Jackson Sisters version, but the music on the Capitol 45s was recorded some 6-8 months after the Jackson Sisters version had been released.

Well that certainly makes sense doesn't it?

That's excellent detective work Sebastian. Also it's quite curious that he went back in the studio after the Jackson Sisters had already charted - they were on the R'n'B charts for 5 weeks from the 29th September '73, so he went back in the studio 11 months after they charted and re-recorded the song. Someone must have believed in it.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

They're either all in Sweden or Bri Pinch has a load in his loft!

I will keep my eyes peeled. From time to time I am out and about trawling through piles of records, I´ll see if it surfaces, wish me luck (LOL). Blue-eyed soul seems to be having a revival with Richard Stepp - "Caught Up In A Whirlwind" being one prime example, a previously relatively unknown record that started fetching big money and finally was reissued, don´t know whether the value of the original copy increased or decreased because of that, the track gained lots of exposure and lots of people wanted to have a copy, many of course still wanted to possess the original, kick myself to this very day, used to have the LP, but sold it many moons ago, dead cheap of course, not knowing that it would ever become valuable. Have noticed that among my podcasts, the blue-eyed soul mixes seem to be the most popular ones judging by the number of downloads and the messages I´ve received. Thinking of doing another one soon, since I may have just discovered a few other lost treasures I believe, probably overlooked in soul cirlces partly because of the fact that they are white acts, although they have enough soul and musical credibility to justify inclusion in any soul set alongside more obvious items. And they don´t all have to be belters vocally, there are some soft-voiced black soul singers too you know :smile:

Best,

Melismo

Edited by djmelismo
Social source share

I will keep my eyes peeled. From time to time I am out and about trawling through piles of records, I´ll see if it surfaces, wish me luck (LOL). Blue-eyed soul seems to be having a revival with Richard Stepp - "Caught Up In A Whirlwind" being one prime example, a previously relatively unknown record that started fetching big money and finally was reissued, don´t know whether the value of the original copy increased or decreased because of that, the track gained lots of exposure and lots of people wanted to have a copy, many of course still wanted to possess the original, kick mydself to this very day, used to have the LP, but sold it many moons ago, dead cheap of course, not knowing that it would ever become valuable? Have noticed that among my podcasts, the blue-eyed soul mixes seem to be the most popular ones judging by the number of downloads and the messages I´ve received, a, thinking of doing another one soon, since I may have just discovered a few other lost treasures I believe, probably overlooked in soul cirlces partly because of the fact that they are white acts, although they have enough soul and musical credibility to justify inclusion in any soul set alongside more obvious items. And they don´t all have to be belters vocally, there are some soft-voiced black soul singers too you know.

Best,

Melismo

Couldn't agree more Mel. The song is important to me. I've heard some terrible songs by great Soul singers and some great songs which have been badly performed by great Soul singers. So if all the other ingredients are correct (i.e. song, arrangement, production etc) I can often live with a decent white vocalist. In a perfect world every song would be great with a great Soul vocalist but life doesn't always work like that......

...and you're right. There's some decent blue-eyed Soul tucked away out there......

Social source share

I'm so glad you and Sean said all this because if I'd have come on here and said that I'd have been crucified and told I was only saying it for effect or because it's 70's or whatever, but it's f*cking awful and you lot must be very easily pleased if you think thats better than the jackson Sisters version. What a waste of bandwidth.

At last - a quote on this thread I can 100% agree with. You Northerns have been drinking to much of that warm beer, it's made your hearing go dodgy shades.gif

A bland plain white singer trying to make a soul record - and doing it badly laugh.gif If this is soul, then the line between soul music and POP just became very blured indeed

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

At last - a quote on this thread I can 100% agree with. You Northerns have been drinking to much of that warm beer, it's made your hearing go dodgy shades.gif

A bland plain white singer trying to make a soul record - and doing it badly laugh.gif If this is soul, then the line between soul music and POP just became very blured indeed

yes.gif

good.gif

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

sorry im with the modern boys on this thread...

brilliant record drenched in soul if you ask me...

surely soul music comes from what you feel inside?

i can listen to stuff like THE EXITS" UNDER THE STREET LAMP" and actually think i feel their pain and hardship..

im a millions miles from the ghetto and being black, but does that matter?

if i didnt then i shoul throw all my soul music out of the window and find something else to listen to.

mark capanni is sung from within and the music is spot on

typical thead of WHITE ME CANT JUMP...

weve all got opinions, some folks cant dig any soul music by white guys..

thats like saying bobby caldwell is rubbish, or spooner oldham and dann penn cant write soulful music and lyrics.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

sorry im with the modern boys on this thread...

brilliant record drenched in soul if you ask me...

surely soul music comes from what you feel inside?

i can listen to stuff like THE EXITS" UNDER THE STREET LAMP" and actually think i feel their pain and hardship..

im a millions miles from the ghetto and being black, but does that matter?

if i didnt then i shoul throw all my soul music out of the window and find something else to listen to.

mark capanni is sung from within and the music is spot on

typical thead of WHITE ME CANT JUMP...

weve all got opinions, some folks cant dig any soul music by white guys..

thats like saying bobby caldwell is rubbish, or spooner oldham and dann penn cant write soulful music and lyrics.

I think we all have differing opinions on what constitutes a good soul record. Horses for courses as they say.

It does nothing for me whatsoever, I wouldn't give anyone a quid for it except to flog it a huge profit. Just not my thing.

Nothing to do with being white, there are some excellent white soul records in my opinion. For myself though, and obviously some others, this isn't one of 'em.

"brilliant record drenched in soul if you ask me..." Sorry I just can't see it but that's me. If anyone likes it then fine, enjoy the track but I can't see what's soul about it even if the artist had been black I still wouldn't call it a soul record.

If I had to go out and continually listen to stuff as good as that I'd give up.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I think we all have differing opinions on what constitutes a good soul record. Horses for courses as they say.

It does nothing for me whatsoever, I wouldn't give anyone a quid for it except to flog it a huge profit. Just not my thing.

Nothing to do with being white, there are some excellent white soul records in my opinion. For myself though, and obviously some others, this isn't one of 'em.

"brilliant record drenched in soul if you ask me..." Sorry I just can't see it but that's me. If anyone likes it then fine, enjoy the track but I can't see what's soul about it even if the artist had been black I still wouldn't call it a soul record.

If I had to go out and continually listen to stuff as good as that I'd give up.

Well, that's the beauty of forums innit Arkwright?

I think the record is brilliant period. And I don't find the guy's vocals annoying at all - I think he sings it pretty soulfully for a white guy actually. I think it's a far better production than the Jackson Sisters (their vocals get on my nerves actually - too screechy LOL) and the fact that the song is a masterpiece with great lyrics and a catchy hook that was co-written by the great Bobby Taylor make it a winner for me.

Dean Parrish, Len Barry, Bobby Sheen, Doni Burdick, Paul Anka, Lynn Randell, Dean Courtney, April Stevens, Bobby Paris, Mickey Lee Lane, The Casualeers, Johnny Caswell, Jason Knight, Dottie Cambridge, The Mob, Guy Darrell, P.J. Proby, The George Clinton Band, Beverly Ann, Billy Harner, Holly St James, Larry Santos, Billy Joe Royal, Wayne Gibson, Shane Martin, Jeanette Harper, The Human Beinz, Blanche Carter, The Majestics, The Jades, Judy Street, David & The Giants, Frankie Valli, R. Dean Taylor, The M.V.P.'s, Felix Cavaliere, Benny Troy, The Anderson Brothers, Mark Capanni...

Not that I prefer white records or anything (I don't generally) but this is just another in a long line of well-produced white records that occasionally fits the bill.

Nice to hear Ralph Tee play it on his show yesterday too....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Well, that's the beauty of forums innit Arkwright?

I think the record is brilliant period. And I don't find the guy's vocals annoying at all - I think he sings it pretty soulfully for a white guy actually. I think it's a far better production than the Jackson Sisters (their vocals get on my nerves actually - too screechy LOL) and the fact that the song is a masterpiece with great lyrics and a catchy hook that was co-written by the great Bobby Taylor make it a winner for me.

Dean Parrish, Len Barry, Bobby Sheen, Doni Burdick, Paul Anka, Lynn Randell, Dean Courtney, April Stevens, Bobby Paris, Mickey Lee Lane, The Casualeers, Johnny Caswell, Jason Knight, Dottie Cambridge, The Mob, Guy Darrell, P.J. Proby, The George Clinton Band, Beverly Ann, Billy Harner, Holly St James, Larry Santos, Billy Joe Royal, Wayne Gibson, Shane Martin, Jeanette Harper, The Human Beinz, Blanche Carter, The Majestics, The Jades, Judy Street, David & The Giants, Frankie Valli, R. Dean Taylor, The M.V.P.'s, Felix Cavaliere, Benny Troy, The Anderson Brothers, Mark Capanni...

Not that I prefer white records or anything (I don't generally) but this is just another in a long line of well-produced white records that occasionally fits the bill.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian, the beauty of forums is we can have a friendly fight without me getting hurt laugh.gif

As I stated before we all have our own perspective of what a soul record is. Many of the northern tracks by the artists you list I wouldn't call soul. To me some of them are northern dance tracks played under the umbrella of northern soul. If someone else interprets them as soul then that ok for them. In the day I used to enjoy those tracks as much as anyone and give it some on the dance floor. For me personally Jason Knight, Blanche Carter, David & the Giants never were SOUL records.

What I prefer to listen to perhaps others will think is total shite. For instance my last played (at the moment) Oscar Toney Jr is a SOUL record. Crap to dance to though laugh.gif

Dotty Cambridge (aka Dorothy Moore) = black

Bobby Sheen = black

Still think the Capanni track is poppy PISH!

hatsoff2.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Dean Parrish, Len Barry, Doni Burdick, Paul Anka, Lynn Randell, April Stevens, Bobby Paris, Mickey Lee Lane, Johnny Caswell, Jason Knight, The Mob, Guy Darrell, P.J. Proby, The George Clinton Band, Beverly Ann, Billy Harner, Holly St James, Larry Santos, Billy Joe Royal, Wayne Gibson, Shane Martin, Jeanette Harper, The Human Beinz, Blanche Carter, The Majestics, The Jades, Judy Street, David & The Giants, Frankie Valli, R. Dean Taylor, The M.V.P.'s, Felix Cavaliere, Benny Troy, The Anderson Brothers, Mark Capanni...

:lol:

Thankfully, that 'long line' dried up a very long time ago, Ian.

The scene moved on, over 30 years ago and started playing, mainly, Soul Music.

But in any case, it's no great recommendation comparing it to other poor records is it?

Or saying that Ralph Tee played it on his show, for that matter! :D

Joking aside, I think we're in danger of making this a 'colour' issue.

It's not so much a question of colour for me with this one,

I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm not a fan of the record because it's Blue-Eyed

I've championed the Buddy Causey Capitol 45 for a few years now, so no way is it simply a 'colour' issue with me.

It's just that this recording is so very MOR and Soulless... but I do admit, I'm intrigued by the interest its received on here.

That could be attributed to the word 'Rarity' in the headline... or it might even be the 'Dewhirst Enigma'... but I'll wager its a bit of both :D

Let's be honest, far too often, 'rarity' tends to fly in the face of 'Soulful Quality' on the UK Soul scene.

Its a fascinating thread though Ian, with some interesting revelations

It explains to me why I'm often dissapointed, in cases where I hear of a so called 'fabulous tune' which people are raving over... when I eventually get to hear it.... what I'm hearing is garbage!

I always felt it was all about where you draw your own personal line on 'soulfulness' and on 'standards' of quality. And I know I'm a picky bugger, particularly when it comes to vocals.

But SOUL is also about 'emotion' and this Capanni effort clocks up a whacking great zero in that department.

Either way, I'm trying to be reasonable and rationalise why anybody would consider this Soulful, it's probably more to do with that hard to quantify 'taste' thing (mentioned earlier).

Though some might say its more to do with the lack of it. :wicked:

Taste is a very subjective thing.

There's no right or wrong, is there.

One prefers Coffee, another prefers Tea... but they both like Beer :no: and what have you...

...and I think this record is a pretty good example of how diverse 'taste' can be, even amongst those of us who like to think of ourselves as Soul fans.

For a change, it's not a 60's v 70's debate or a Northern v Modern question, its purely a 'do I like this or do I not' question.

Personally, I don't like it.

No... its more than that..... I don't like it at all.

As I said earlier, its just NOT a Soul record.

It's not sung with Soul.

It's just NOT Soulful.

By any stretch of the imagination.

It matters not to me that Bobby Taylor had a hand in writing it.

It wouldn't change a thing if Bobby Womack, Philip Mitchell, and Sam Dees had written it by the banks of the Mississippi - its not the lyrics that I don't particularly care for - it's what's coming out of the speakers that, to my ears at least, sounds bloody awful.

Its that Pop, Pap, Wimpish vocal delivery and tra la, la, la, la, loungey, Love Boat, Showbiz Schmaltz (that really does owe far too much to the Manilows of this world for my liking) that prohibits me from ever seeing it as Soul, pop-soul or any other kind of Soul music.

I know you didn't head the thread 'is this the best Soul record on Capitol' (because we all know it isn't) and that its the obsession with 'rarity' and 'novelty' that causes collectors to get excited (and in some instances 'blinded') with stuff like this. But I'm pretty sure that if there had been 30 copies up on GEMM right now it would be forever known as 'the original but crap version of the Jackson Sisters'.

But, in all honesty, its not just a poor version of the Jackson Sisters.

Its really bad entirely on its own merit. :D

I know some might think what i'm saying is a bit harsh, but really, this is about as bad as it gets.

Get out your James Carr, Bobby Womack and David Ruffin albums, then go compare!

There's far too much substandard old jank being passed off in some quarters as Soul Music these days and this is just another example.

But as someone once said... 'I've got to admire your balls' :D

:ohmy:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

But as someone once said... 'I've got to admire your balls' biggrin.gif

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Well said Sean, you're much better at putting it into words than I am but you nailed it for me. thumbsup.gif

As for the balls, I wish some f'ker would admire mine laugh.gif

Social source share

Well said Sean, you're much better at putting it into words than I am but you nailed it for me. thumbsup.gif

As for the balls, I wish some f'ker would admire mine laugh.gif

Actually I do admire your balls Arkwright even though the one on the left seems to be a lot lower than the one on the right. g.gif

Mind you, you wanna see Mark Capanni's! To achieve those wailing high notes, his balls are situated somewhere around mid-stomach level.....

Typical innit? I've just realised that I've spent most of the thread defending some Italo-American white Pop singer when I do actually like proper Soul music like........

I should have the Bobby Taylor unreleased demo version through shortly so we'll see what that's like when it lands! laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

That would be an entirely different story though eh Ianbiggrin.gif

(A version by Bobby Taylor that is!)

If only John, if only.........whistling.gif

However, on a completely different note, within the next day or two a list of several years worth of unreleased recordings between '67-'74 from a trio of the most prolific songwriters in Northern Soul history will be landing on my lap!

I already know a couple of the titles but not the versions mentioned so I'm salivating at what might be there. I'll start a seperate thread when everything's been established 'cos I'll definitely need some help from S.S. contributors (are you there Tony and Ady?)!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad you and Sean said all this because if I'd have come on here and said that I'd have been crucified and told I was only saying it for effect or because it's 70's or whatever, but it's f*cking awful and you lot must be very easily pleased if you think thats better than the jackson Sisters version. What a waste of bandwidth.

...not one for forums as a rule. I have the Jackson Sisters on a 12, with the extended break intro... love cutting it. Any way the MC version, recently released on Jazzman, sounds fresh. If your bag is northern/crossover/modern well you're not going to get it. Its too hip for the mainstreamist's plate. MC's cut is like somewhere between hippy folk and jazzy soul. I like it, and it's danceable too..The Jackson Sisters has been hammered, lets be honest.

Social source share

...not one for forums as a rule. I have the Jackson Sisters on a 12, with the extended break intro... love cutting it. Any way the MC version, recently released on Jazzman, sounds fresh. If your bag is northern/crossover/modern well you're not going to get it. Its too hip for the mainstreamist's plate. MC's cut is like somewhere between hippy folk and jazzy soul. I like it, and it's danceable too..The Jackson Sisters has been hammered, lets be honest.

Well, that was part of the problem 'cos on some scenes the Jackson Sisters is an overplayed golden oldie that we've all heard too much over the years anyway. Hence when Mark Capanni sprung up it sounded like a breath of fresh air and a good excuse to play a great song again and the original at that.

But the lines can be very blurred on the Northern/Crossover/Modern scenes IMO. I maintain that if Mark Capanni had been discovered in the mid 70's instead of 30 years later it would have been right up there with the 70's biggies of the time like the Moments, Anderson Brothers, Benny Troy, Voices Of East Harlem etc, etc. It would have fitted like a dream. Let's not forget that when records like "My Baby's Got E.S.P." - Four Below Zero, "Don't Send Me Away" - Garfield Fleming, "Party Time Man" - The Futures and 100's of others were first released they were written off as being too Disco, too Funky etc, etc yet found acceptance 10 or 20 years down the line on the same scene that originally wouldn't have accepted them. You see exactly the same thing happen with early 90's Soulful House tunes in another few years. That's the nature of the scene and has been for the last 45 years really. It's a constantly mutating beast which re-invents itself all the time.

Good on Gerald for nailing the re-issue. I'm hearing this record all over the place now but it should have been an anthem in 1974! Mind you, what's 36 years between friends......

https://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/shop/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=45

Oh, welcome to Soul Source by the way! If you wanna know anything about records you'll generally find it on here...........thumbsup.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hasn't this just been re-issued. Check out Crazy Beats website. Album only I thought although I'm sure Mr Levine had a 45 at one point. Certainly getting plays again because of the funky slant on things courtesy of Sam and Co.

Get with the programme Soulman. Didja read the thread? laugh.gif

Exists on original 45 and extremeley rare hence the thread. This copy's just come up so it'll be interesting to see where the price ends up (sorry any bidders from S.S. by the way). There was some speculation earlier in the thread as to it's value, so this is an interesting auction. Also just re-issued by Jazzman.

I wouldn't class it as funky at all - it's straight blue-eyed Modern Soul to me.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

It's alright..although I get what Sean means re the loveboat/Barry Manilow comparison! Bit like Johnny Vanelli. ....cheese but kind of likeable in a non soulful way:lol:

I love the Jackson Sisters though..yeah it's an oldie but it's still mega:yes:

Social source share

I didn't say that it is better than the Jackson Sisters version.

But I did say that it is, no matter what anyone of you think of it, a very rare 45 and would command a big price if a copy came onto the market and I'm right about that.

WELL IT WILL NOW REGARDLESS, BECAUSE WE'VE ALL BEEN BUMPING THIS UP,

BRI PINCH

Social source share

It had over 30 watchers within the first day of getting listed, so with or without SoulSource bumps there is obviously a lot of interest in it.

MUST ADMIT, I HAVE IT IN MY SEARCH AGENT ON EBAY, BUT IT ONLY PICKS UP THOSE JAZZMAN REISSUES, IT MISSED THE CAPITOL ONE. DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT UNTIL IT WAS BUMPED ON HERE. OH WELL :thumbsup:

BRI PINCH

Social source share

Well, I guess that answers the question posed earlier in the thread then. g.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

I watched it with interest ,and purely from a perspective, that it was a possible chance to nab something at a good price ,to move on ,hoping it would fetch a tidy profityes.gif

Sadly for me ...the ebay seller ,was the lucky ba****d who raked in all the profit , helped along nicely by this threadsad.gif

I'm inclined to agree with Sean on this one ...it's nothing to do with being black or white ..it just sounds like something you'd hear on "top of the pops" ,why anyone would wanna pay that amount for it is beyond me ..... far too many good records to buy for less yes.gif

P.s on a slight tangent here ,while we are on about a soul record being sung by someone with Italian blood ,for what it's worth Dave Carboni-Magic lady ,is better than thislaugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert