Sure-Shot

• Replies 56
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can recommend this not so obvious one by Ruth McFadden to those liking shuffling brass-stab-ladden R'n'B fem vocal tracks!

(Have a spare demo for £30 on my site.)

:D

The Tornados version of 'Little Sally Walker' isn't the easiest number to get either...and another mid-8T's minor spin for GuyH.

post-9555-12745826962075_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Can recommend this not so obvious one by Ruth McFadden to those liking shuffling brass-stab-ladden R'n'B fem vocal tracks!

(Have a spare demo for £30 on my site.)

The Tornados version of 'Little Sally Walker' isn't the easiest number to get either...and another mid-8T's minor spin for GuyH.

yes.gif

post-9555-12745826962075_thumb.jpg

RUTH MCFADDEN - DO IT UP RIGHT - SURE-SHOT (Soundclip from Refosoul Archive)

Social source share

Some nice output on Sure Shot.

My fave has to be Lisa Richards immortal "Let's Take a Chance" Sure Shot 5007 (originally on Jovial 728 and treasured on UK Vocalion 9244).

The Bobby Williams 45's are also special and there's a really nice unreleased thing too, Little Mr Lee & Cherokees "Best Friends Girl" which appeared on an earl Kent comp and well worth hunting for.

Sean

Social source share

My fave has to be Lisa Richards immortal "Let's Take a Chance" Sure Shot 5007 (originally on Jovial 728 and treasured on UK Vocalion 9244).

Sean

Great track Sean - only have it on the Island LP 'The Duke & The Peacock' a fantastic compilation of Duke, Peacock and Sureshot stuff- Mike

Social source share

Personal favourites are Bobby Williams "When You Play You Gotta Pay" / "It's All Over", the Mr. Lee recordings (especially the Kent-only track Sean Mentions above) and the Lee Mitchell 45, which is great bluesy deep soul.

I also have never seen or heard of Bobby Williams "Hate Myself Tomorrow" with the other side mentioned above: it's usually the b-side of "I've Only Got Myself To Blame".

Edited by garethx
Social source share

A mention also for Ricky Ricks - 'Chained and bound'.

A 'tape swappers' fave from the 8Ts set at an uptempo R'n'B pace...the deeeeeeeep vocal is obviously Jimmy Ricks under an aka!

Only drawback for me is the annoying guitar picking away throughout...but others love it!

Still cheap too!

:thumbsup:

post-9555-12747091189068_thumb.jpg

Social source share

A mention also for Ricky Ricks - 'Chained and bound'.

A 'tape swappers' fave from the 8Ts set at an uptempo R'n'B pace...the deeeeeeeep vocal is obviously Jimmy Ricks under an aka!

Only drawback for me is the annoying guitar picking away throughout...but others love it!

Still cheap too!

:thumbsup:

post-9555-12747091189068_thumb.jpg

RICKY (JIMMY) RICKS - CHAINED AND BOUND(Soundclip from Refosoul Archive)

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Two spins from the mid eighties

Buster Jones Baby boy

And Al Haskins You got me which has the great deep soul flip Tame me

Al Hthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

My favourite Sure Shot 45 by a mile.

I also love the reggae version of it by Dave Barker on the (Jamaican) Wind label...

There's also a fantastic unissued Bobby Williams track from Sure Shot - but I've said too much already...:thumbsup:

Social source share

The ballad sides of The Bell Brothers 45s are fantastic examples of the male duo genre.

You beat me to it as always GS, Throw Away The Key, sure its already in Refo, on my first Eddie Hubbard deep tape from 1884, and it still sounds good.

Bobby Williams When You Pay, fantastic lolloping tune. just my pace for dancing. and Try It Again, a veritable stomper, unless you are one of these tempo terrorists, taking over our planet! :thumbsup:

Pretty sure they are in refo for some kind soul to repost, I am just flying through while listening to some project manager drivelling on, destroying my soul bit by bit!

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The ballad sides of The Bell Brothers 45s are fantastic examples of the male duo genre.

I'm pretty sure that most if not all of the Bell Brothers Sure Shot 45s were recorded at Royal Studios in Memphis. They are indeed one of the best male duos of their or any other time...

Social source share

This is sooo great and slept on. I have seen it listed in the sales section a couple of times for decent prices.

MALIBUS - TEN TIMES A DAY - SURE SHOT -

Social source share

Guest hudsoul

already mentioned but BUSTER JONES-baby boy,brill atmospheric northern and bobby williams -its all over,,the same......

also the old colin law WILLIE G AND THE MAGIC RHYTHM BAND cover up from the late 80s,TROY MARRS-rhythm message with inst on flip,top dancer.....

quite partial to NORMA RUDD-hes mine ,nice northern RnB tinged dancer.

Social source share

my fav is PHYLLIS DILLON MAKE ME YOURS....GREAT JAMAICAN SOUL

Recently i've added another nice track from her in my collection "Humpty dumpy" but this one is on cool soul

Alfie, that's a completely different label, owned by Duke Reid and part of his Treasure Isle empire.

Social source share

Anyone know if these are any good:

The Quality Controls - Grapevine

I think I've had this at some point, I want to say it's an instrumental of "Heard It Through The Grapevine", but can't exactly remember, I think it was Andre Williams related. Possibly undistinguished since I don't have it anymore. It's a cheapie though so I'd probably buy it again if I came across it.

just looked it up online, I actually still have the track on the Vampi-Soul Andre Williams compilation LP. You can listen to a clip on the All Music review page here: All Music Andre Williams

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

Just remembered one of the harder releases:

The Tornadoes Little Sally Walker Sureshot 5032

another version of the nursery rhyme song by Rufus Thomas and another bloke on Federal who's name I've forgot.

Dave

um, you forgot the name of Syl Johnson? :sad: ouch.

Social source share

I think I've had this at some point, I want to say it's an instrumental of "Heard It Through The Grapevine", but can't exactly remember, I think it was Andre Williams related. Possibly undistinguished since I don't have it anymore. It's a cheapie though so I'd probably buy it again if I came across it.

just looked it up online, I actually still have the track on the Vampi-Soul Andre Williams compilation LP. You can listen to a clip on the All Music review page here: All Music Andre Williams

Quality Controls- Grapevine Kris.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Some nice output on Sure Shot.

The Bobby Williams 45's are also special and there's a really nice unreleased thing too, Little Mr Lee & Cherokees "Best Friends Girl" which appeared on an earl Kent comp and well worth hunting for.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

what kent lp ?

ive got a mr lee i dont want to go on the Kent tears in my eyes Lp

think its unreleased ?

Social source share

what kent lp ?

ive got a mr lee i dont want to go on the Kent tears in my eyes Lp

think its unreleased ?

"I Don't Want To Go" is the other side of "Young Lover" on Sure-Shot 5015.

My Best Friend's Girl is on the Kent LP "Sure Shots": lesser known dancers from Duke/Peacock/Sure-Shot. It's a cool fingersnapper with a great bassline and very instant hook.

Tony's comment about the Bell Bros. record being cut at Royal in Memphis with Willie Mitchell seems so obvious when I listen to it again. It's one of the limitations of Don Robey's labels that the credits, both for writers and musicians are often sparse or even misleading. The 'D. Malone' writer credit often masks the work of some of soul music's great writers. It also creates the impression that the labels' output is generic, whereas in reality the music itself is really quite varied and comes from all over the states: Bobby Williams from Detroit, Kurtis Scott from New York, Lee Mitchell 45 cut in Tacoma etc. I'd love to know where the Malibus records were cut.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tell us more Tony. I know the unissued Every Lie You Tell, same one?

No, not that one. I've never heard that but I'm sure my one's better!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's the Counterfeit with the Lower Case "(I Love You")

SURE-SHOT_SS-5028a_B-1.gif

You will note that the publishing information has been correctly updated, following ABC's purchase of the Duke-Peacock group of labels - something that a counterfeiter or bootlegger would be unlikely to bother doing. It also emanates from a pressing plant in Houston (the name of which escapes me), the same one that, for instance, Oscar Perry's Peri-Tone 45s were pressed at.

It also looks like the Sure Shot labels that were used are pukka stock. The colours are identical to the original issue and all other original Sure Shot first releases.

I am pretty sure, therefore, that this is an ABC-sanctioned, legit repress for our scene, and that any previous assertions that it's a counterfeit or boot are incorrect.

Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time...laugh.gif

Social source share

You will note that the publishing information has been correctly updated, following ABC's purchase of the Duke-Peacock group of labels - something that a counterfeiter or bootlegger would be unlikely to bother doing. It also emanates from a pressing plant in Houston (the name of which escapes me), the same one that, for instance, Oscar Perry's Peri-Tone 45s were pressed at.

It also looks like the Sure Shot labels that were used are pukka stock. The colours are identical to the original issue and all other original Sure Shot first releases.

I am pretty sure, therefore, that this is an ABC-sanctioned, legit repress for our scene, and that any previous assertions that it's a counterfeit or boot are incorrect.

Of course, I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time...laugh.gif

Hi Tony

Many Thanks for the Information I think that you could well be right & will Edit to (POSSIBLE Legit 2nd ISSUE).

Social source share

Great track Sean - only have it on the Island LP 'The Duke & The Peacock' a fantastic compilation of Duke, Peacock and Sureshot stuff- Mike

I may be wrong but think this was wrongly labeled on the LP & the actual track is something else!!!

Typing this at the Library so will check when I get home.

Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert