One Label..one Hit...northern Soul

is there a label out there that has produced ONLY ONE northern soul hit,as we all know many labels many hits,one or two labels a few hits and lets leave it to demos or original releases from the U.S.A..........i just know someone will put up something so bloody obvious........:yes:

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

and georgiasoul.com has a list of soul/funk on Mars La Tour

MLT-2051 Arthur Willis & Soulful Dynamics - The Hurting Is Over / Gotta Find A Way

MLT-2053 Alton Reid & The Voodoo Children - Funky Hogg / A Boy Needs A Girl To Love Him

MLT-2066 Chain of Fools - Searching For A Brand New Love / It Takes Two

MLT-2090 Ricky Andrews & the Chances Are Band - Chances Are Your Dance Is Mine / You Are What My Heart Needs

Social source share

Here are a few that I believe had no other releases

Four Tracks - Mandingo

Rufus Wood - Espanola

Camaro's - Dar Cha

Jewel - Jewel Productions

The Crow - Inner Ear

Mind & Matter - M&M

Florence Trapp - You & I

Jesse Fisher - So Jamm

Marylin Smith on SoJamm....

yep, the Four Tracks is the only record on 'Mandingo'. The address on the label mispells the street name (Door vs Dorr)

There's a big misconception about what is a record 'label' spread by inconsistent sites on the internet. Back in the 60s (and the 1970s) anyone could record a couple songs and send the tape off to a custom pressing plant....in the process they would create a 'label name' for their record which could be a street one of the members lived on, a family pet, a little sisters' name, a mothers' name...etc. These names are 'labels' in the sense that they are printed as such, but there's no 'company' behind them and multiple releases were probably never intended or only dreamed about. IMO a label is only a label if it either was run by a party apart from the performer and which the owner (let's say financer) put money into for promotion and had at least one more release by a different act. There were some artist 'owned' labels that qualify if in addition to the artist's releases they released and promoted other artists who did not include the same performers.

Social source share

Here are a few that I believe had no other releases

Four Tracks - Mandingo

Rufus Wood - Espanola

Camaro's - Dar Cha

Jewel - Jewel Productions

The Crow - Inner Ear

Mind & Matter - M&M

Florence Trapp - You & I

Jesse Fisher - So Jamm

The Pervis Herder on Crow is looked for by some already...maybe the bext big thing on Crow.

Social source share

David vance-be mine again (TORCH)

nice mid tempo number, him and his friend formed the label to release this one record, recorded it overnight in a studio in miami( it was cheaper that way) pressed about 200 but it had no local success at all, he's now an artist iving / working in miami and when i emailed him he was so surprised that his record was being played in a 3 bed semi in wigan, lol, he'd forgotton all about it then told me all about how he had flu recording it and had to sleep on studio floor and had to record in one take, good story...atb phil

Social source share

Love to know what they are, the label was owned by Jackey Beavers and he told me that was the only release, it's also the only one listed in Groovesville book. But love to know so I can the search for them.

I also thought it was a one hit wonder Dave ,but i've seen another two go through e-bay in the past year,same label design as the camaro's

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert