Under Rated Records ?

Mike

Well I have never heared it played anywhere, but then i tend to go out much nowadays, but in saying that, just cos its big on the modern side of things they may be some openen minded northern soulie types that havent heard it so still worth posting IMO

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

van mc coy- aint no big thing-on rockway= fantastic vocals in my opinion

underdogs- mo jo hanna- think this used to get plays in some r n b rooms, its the b side to - loves gone bad- on vip

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Always thought this was a fantastic record, love that haunting break, wailing harmonies, brilliant lead vocal and a fabulous brass section, Chicago soul at it's finest.....I imagine it's still relatively cheap

Social source share

Since when has this been "underrrated"? Everyone loves it and recognises it as a classic.

Depends who you talk to Pete.When i've brought this up in conversation at times over the years,been faced with "its ok".

Maybe its alot of people's secret love.? I put it on here cos its seems never to come up on Top 100/500 etc lists. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sure this has been done before - favourite 3 cheap & under-rated/under played tunes... but hey....

Wayne Cochran - I'm in Trouble

Bobby Thomas & the Afros - Please Mr Lovemaker

Invitations - living together is tearing us apart

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Tim on Celtex one example; I'd usually go straight for love now pay later and not give this a second look but it's good enough in its own right and I'm sure would sound great played out.

Never liked the lyrics and brass on Lee Shot Williams "love now pay later", Tim version seems to ache harder to my ears, little less cheese :hypo: and its cheaper

Edited by Jhsoulnotts
Social source share

Never liked the lyrics and brass on Lee Shot Williams "love now pay later", Tim version seems to ache harder to my ears, little less cheese :hypo: and its cheaper

Garland Green is the best version for me. Have all three (does that make me sound horrible) but GG is the one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ultimations is magic too!

Does under rated automatically = cheap?

It's almost a case of inverted snobbery at times it seems whereby once the 'rare' tag is attached and/or something is expensive it's automatically deemed by some to be sh*t lol.

Anyone with a bit of commitment and one ear has always been able to build a collection of quality original records without going bust haven't they?

For me, the thread also underlines that its not necessarily about trying to be 'progressive' all the time either. Looking back pays dividends too I always think

Hi phil........after standing about at nighters for 40 yrs .....most people l know only have one ear :D

Social source share

Garland Green is the best version for me. Have all three (does that make me sound horrible) but GG is the one :thumbsup:

No, makes you sound cool! :shades:

GG version is really nice, and probably is the definitive one, but its a little too smoove for me personally, as I like em a little rough around the edges. That said, I'm not sure others would agree with me Joan...

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

heres a good un getting played a bit ......Alfreda Brockington.....chained and bound......johnny c hitch it to the horse.....thats two

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I knew that Miss Madeline was in the Young Folks, but only having her version I didn't realise it was the same recording.

ATB

Tony

bet ya didn,t :D :D

Social source share

No, makes you sound cool! :shades:

GG version is really nice, and probably is the definitive one, but its a little too smoove for me personally, as I like em a little rough around the edges. That said, I'm not sure others would agree with me Joan...

:lol:

I like them all, each has a little something different to offer and they are all good which is quite rare when it comes to different versions of the same song

Social source share

:unsure: You promise that angry scotsman isn't going to jump out on this one??? :unsure::D

Ok....i'll have a go then.

Love this one in my collection...& wonder if it got lost in the deluge of fantastic tunes at the time?

Was really big in it's day and funny you should mention Scotland as it was as big a tune at Shotts as anywhere. Fantastic!

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Was really big in it's day and funny you should mention Scotland as it was as big a tune at Shotts as anywhere. Fantastic!

One that had bypassed me till about 3 years back & was chuffed to bits to pick a m- promo up for $20 off the net. ..... Thought I read somewhere it was a 'Torch' tune initially? ...... As you say though Joan... Fantastic!

Social source share

Well I have never heared it played anywhere, but then i tend to go out much nowadays, but in saying that, just cos its big on the modern side of things they may be some openen minded northern soulie types that havent heard it so still worth posting IMO

Maybe cos it's not a Northern record :unsure:

Social source share

How about this. also well known but very really gets a play

I remember buying a copy off Pat Brady in the mid 80's after he did a bit in his Echoes page. There's a few Little MIlton tracks from the same era all worth a listen

Social source share

Never said it was, Just a dam good soul record

"they may be some openen minded northern soulie types that havent heard it"

Call me old fashioned but i'm just trying to follow your train of thought.

Social source share

O.K. Here's a 10 more

Argie & Arkettes - Your the guy - Ronnie

Bobby Bell - Don't come back to me - RCA

Joe Buckman - Rignt now - Sepia

Chi Chi - If your gonna love me - Kapp

Determinations - Love respect & understanding - Blue Dolphin

Fugatives - Good lovin' if you canget it - Sandman

Geminis - Can't let you go - RCA

Edd Henry - Your replacement is here - Big Mack

Ray Jiminez - Leave her alone - Columbia

Walter Jenkins - Back in my life - feder Kat

10 more later................... Ricardo. :thumbsup:

Social source share

FEATURED ON A GREAT COMPILATION LP FROM THE 70'S post-2477-0-33632800-1343502605_thumb.jp

KEV

Some great stuff on that. There was a good comp lp maybe a couple in the 90's ft Darryl Banks etc i can't find mine to tell ya more about em but they were good. Had No one Blinder, Story of my life etc on them

Social source share

Think I've got to both ends of the scale on this.

Timothy Wilson "Got to find a new love" always a £10 record but never championed or played our but a superb record for the price.

Jesse Davis "Theres room for me" For some reason rare as you like on which ever label and £1000 plus but never appreciated and never took off other than a few weeks at Stafford, but its what I want on my tombstone. Lyrics just sum up my life.... nuff said.

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!