Counts - Peaches Baby (Shrine)

Becket

Hi all,

I know the obvious titles on this label. But I have to admit to NOT knowing this one.

When I listened to the sound clip associated with this current Sale on a well known interweb site:

I was totally blown away by both sides. What a 45.

Never heard this played out and have no idea who may be lucky enough to own one - even in three pieces. I remember an Andy Rix article in Record Collector maybe ? from a while back. So maybe he has one ?

The bid intervals are the highest I can remember since F.W. came to market.

Cheers............ Tom. Banbury.

Social source share

I personally don't like peaches baby but I think the ballad flip is decent. The exact same group recorded a funky 45 as Five Miles High and then recorded as Four Miles High on Calla. I really like "problem child" on Calla (also done by the Fawns on RCA).

Social source share

I personally don't like peaches baby but I think the ballad flip is decent. The exact same group recorded a funky 45 as Five Miles High and then recorded as Four Miles High on Calla. I really like "problem child" on Calla (also done by the Fawns on RCA).

Bob, are they the same Counts that did "What's it all about"?

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

The Peaches Baby track is on the Kent CD Shrine Volume 2. The CD also contains an excellent booklet of notes which includes a description of how the record was discovered, and ended up in six pieces after it was posted to Andy.

In Togertherness magazine (issue 13), there is also a terrific article on Shrine (reprinted from the Washington Post, as written by David Segal) which includes a picture of Andy's broken Counts record on page 74.

Apart from the disc's unusual and interesting history of discovery, it is an outstandingly good track, musically speaking.

Edited by Seagrave
Social source share

does the broken counts 45 still exist with all its pieces? I can potentially get it put back together in such a way that both sides are playable and even fairly sturdy.

I still have the pieces but it can't be mended i'm afraid. I also still have the envelope Richard Collins' mother put it in. I look at it sometimes and weep.

Richard actually had two copies that he got from his Aunt Azelle when I asked him to contact any relatives he might have given one to in the 60s .. he threw one away before telling me he'd found them as he said it looked a bit used. So a double blow on that one. No other member of the Counts, and I spoke to them all, ever located another copy.

Raymond Davis, of the Prophets, took a 25 count box of 'If I had (one gold piece)' home with him that he distributed amongst family and friends .. he also was never able to locate a surviving copy. I did eventually source a copy from Maxx Kidd but it had endured a rather hard life.

Andy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Seagrave

Wonder what this will end up at (£-wise) on the auction tonight. Any guesses??

Also interesting (again according to the CD sleeve notes) is that the Peaches Baby track was not available to be heard by 'northern soul' ears until Lew Stanley turned this copy up around 1998.

Edited by Seagrave
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='Tony Smith' timestamp='1352976519' post='1824316']

Andy Rix's copy is the one John refers to as being in 3 pieces, It was sent to him in just an envelope (at that time it was the only known copy).

andy told me the story at cleethorpes in 2000. we were discussing how man can get to the moon, so surely we could fix this record....and like the gentleman he is showed as much interst in my motown pinks as i did in HOLDING his shrine collection for about 10 seconds.

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

Give it up Bob, He's not gonna give it ya.. :)

not trying to steal a record from someone. either way, the record in 5 pieces probably has more sentimental value to him via the story and interaction with the group than a frankenstein looking playable record made out of the 5 pieces.

Social source share

quote name='Tony Smith' timestamp='1352976519' post='1824316']

Andy Rix's copy is the one John refers to as being in 3 pieces, It was sent to him in just an envelope (at that time it was the only known copy).

andy told me the story at cleethorpes in 2000. we were discussing how man can get to the moon, so surely we could fix this record....and like the gentleman he is showed as much interst in my motown pinks as i did in HOLDING his shrine collection for about 10 seconds.

I know someone who's dog has sat on them for longer than that! :shhh:

Social source share

Has there been an equivalent happening in Chicago? Or Detroit, Boston etc for that matter.

No, but people in Chicago and Detroit have always thought their records were worth money or it was hard to find stuff anyways. People have been plastering Detroit with record flyers on signposts and telephone poles for many years and have more recently doing flyers and direct mail in Chicago. When I was in DC around 2000, it was so easy to get records compared to Chicago. I swear I had records in my hand and people would drive up to me in the street asking me if I wanted their records and bring some to me. I made a few phone calls to thrift stores in the phone book and before the end of the day I was in a huge apartment with all rooms filled with 45s.

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

everybody in DC read that post article and decided their records were worth a million dollars afterwards

Err ... didn't you already say that in post 13?

Oh no, my mistake, it was a zillion dollars then. At least you weren't exaggerating this time!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!