Worst Record Ever

Cunnie

• Replies 90
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"Ski-ing in the snow" by the "Beach Girls" . Bloody hell i can't belive i bought this only 18 months ago blush.gif

Saw it going cheap on demo, never heard it, thouht, wonder what that's like & it was £20 in J Manship's book so i bought it. How did it ever get listed as N soul ??

J Manship you have got a lot to answer for :shades:

P.S. Anyone want to buy it ?? lovely piece of pounding girl group N Soul :ohmy: it's £20 on J Manship's, Yours for only £5 bargin bargin bargin :)

But as for crap records that are recognised as decent, "Cool Off" & "Moonlight Music & You" always got on my tits ! Also i can vaguely remember a song, i think it was something like "There's That Mountain" ? it was a rip off of something really good, ( was it Cigarete Ashes / That Beating Rhythm ?) GOD THAT ONE USED TO MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL !! :) & another that was an alternative to "Bobby Treetop - Wait Till i Get To Know You" I think ?

In fact i'm gonna generalise here, ALL ALTERNATIVE VOCALS TO CLASSICS MAKE ME BLOODY MAD !!!!! :lol::D:shades:

alternative to bobby treetop e rodney jones rnb time , if you dont like the alternatives to moonlight music and you, ive got bad news theres seven different versions :huh:

Social source share

Martin....so you got a Pink sweater too then mate?, I bet you look better than me in yours though :)

Gene Robertson (plagiarising the words of Mark Bicknell)!! :shades:

Actually, Gene I bought a pink, cashmere jumper from Marks only last week. Pink, it's the new black. :shades::ohmy::) I could even supply the shorts and sneakers if pushed.

Oh, yeah, while we're on the subject Barbara Redd - I'll be all alone (she should be after recording that)

Warren

Social source share

Love it - Is that R&B or R&R that's played as R&B :shades:

This debate R&R vs R&B vs Soul is futile as far as I'm concerned. When many of these records were recorded they were aiming to get into the R&B charts stateside. If you want to find listings of soul records in the states you could do worse than start with Tim Neelys R&B guide.

Why do some British people want to pidgeon hole records like this?

Take Dean Barlow most definately an R&B record in every sense of the word doesn't mean you have to like it but if you don't it doesn't stop being R&B. It is not surprising some of these sound like R&R as R&R is the white establishments rip off of R&B.

If you don't like a record thats fine but its genre doesn't change.

I'll get my tin helmet :shades:

Social source share

Gene, I think it's short skirt, SNEAKERS and my pink sweater, you perve :shades:

I always thought it was "my BIG sweater"... but got such a great image of you all in your pink jumpers now that it really doesn't matter :shades:

Edited by rachel
Social source share

if you mean the metros since i found my baby cunnie i've got to throw one of these at you: :wicked:

if you mean the magnetics when i'm with my baby i've got to throw five: :wicked::D:D:D:D

worst record ever - IMO the joker went wild by bryan hyland. or any instrumental.

Oops whistling.gif my mistake, i did mean the Metro's - Since i found my bay bee. It was very late & i was very tired. The Magnetic's is in my all time top 10 60s tracks, guess i better hang my head in shame.

Got to agree with you about Bryan Hyland though - utter shite :D

Social source share

A NEW ONE ON ME BUT NOT FOR SOME FOLKS

ALAN DAVID I FOUND OUT TO LATE PROBABLY A VALLEY BOY IF ITS THE SAME BLOKE HAD 45S

AND AN LP ON EMI DAVE RIVERS WOULD LOVE IT BUT HE'S PROBABLY CORNERED THE MARKET

Social source share

This debate R&R vs R&B vs Soul is futile as far as I'm concerned. When many of these records were recorded they were aiming to get into the R&B charts stateside. If you want to find listings of soul records in the states you could do worse than start with Tim Neelys R&B guide.

Why do some British people want to pidgeon hole records like this?

Take Dean Barlow most definately an R&B record in every sense of the word doesn't mean you have to like it but if you don't it doesn't stop being R&B. It is not surprising some of these sound like R&R as R&R is the white establishments rip off of R&B.

If you don't like a record thats fine but its genre doesn't change.

I'll get my tin helmet whistling.gif

Ged as I wrote earlier, The r&roll fraternity were playing dean barlow years before the soul crowd picked it up ..what would the soul crowd say if the R&R boys started jiving to the De-lites or lestor tipton...probably say Cheeky...F**kers...mind you if i had both on original id probably think..F**K me the price is going to rise abit more on these little babies :wicked:

and is the scene so starved of good music that drivel like dean barlow has to be knicked & played

Geeooordie

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

My pet hate is the Velvets Gotta Find Me Somebody whoooo-oooh,

But Stu, what am I going to lift the hem of my jumper to if you put that record into Room 101 :shades:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

B-SIDE-B said:

Also i can vaguely remember a song, i think it was something like "There's That Mountain" ? it was a rip off of something really good, ( was it Cigarete Ashes / That Beating Rhythm ?) GOD THAT ONE USED TO MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL !! :shades: :

Vinyl Vixen replied:

That would be the Trips 'There's that Mountain' - there are umpteen vocals to Cigarette Ashes - and I think they were all produced by Jimmy Conwell as well. It wasn't a 'rip off' - laying down the instrumental track and then doing alternate vocal versions was common practice. If one version didn't hit the commercial coconut, then another might. For instance:

Earl Van Dyke: All For You - Instrumental/ Marvin Gaye: Lucky Lucky Me - Vocal - unreleased until its discovery in the 1980's.

Ronnie and Robyn - As Long as You need me/ Sidra's Theme

Jo

Velvet Satins - Nothing can compare to you

No, no, no...

Oh, there's me thinking it was the Velvet Stains all these years :lol:

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Travis Womack - Scratchy....what's that all about then?????

Mark Bicknell.

unsure.gif Pass me the pins, please....proceeds to stick them in both eyes..... :shades: Now that was more pleasurable than listening to TRAVIS FECKING WAMMICK....you might well ask what's it all about, Alfie.... :lol:

Social source share

alternative to bobby treetop e rodney jones rnb time , if you dont like the alternatives to moonlight music and you, ive got bad news theres seven different versions :shades:

Just the "Laura Green" one that used to really get up my nose. I quite liked "Frankie & the Classicals - What shall i do" & the instrumental one with the bloke on the fiddle.

Iv'e just destroyed my rant about different versions there haven't I :lol: Perhaps that was too sweeping a statement !!

Social source share

Been looking at some of the threads recently, best this that & the other so i thought i'd throw this up.

Why? I was out last Saturday at a 70s night & it was a pretty good night & then somebody had to spoil it by spinning the mindnumbingly awful "Love don't go through no changes in me" by SISTER SLUDGE :P

God i hate that bloody record, really winds me up the wrong way it does, makes me bloody cringe just thinking about it.I swear if they were all melted down & made into ashtrays i'd stop smoking straight away.

There's a few more that are nearly as bad (IMO) eg, The Metro's - When i'm with my bay bee. Rufus Lumley - I'm standing, Bobby Well's - Be that way sometimes, Mr Day - Soul on wax etc etc but nothing as bad as SISTER SLUDGE.

Come on then, what makes you all cringe, not looking for the usual comments like Al or Frank Wilson, any modern or RnB etc, just the track that makes you shudder & cringe.

Go on, get it off your chest :P

Err, didn`t we do this kind of thread before? Ash trays and all that? Anyways...put me down for the good ole` "Gene Kelly-Singin` In The Rain" sound-a-like CHERRY PEOPLE-AND SUDDENLY-HERITAGE :D:D

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Actually, Gene I bought a pink, cashmere jumper from Marks only last week. Pink, it's the new black. :D:P:P

Warren

I knew that Preston's appearance on Big Brother would lead to a rash of people investing in Pink Cashmere sweaters.

oh, sorry Shane.

Ermm. Second Class Lover and Seven day Fool - the axis of evil.

Social source share

Has to be "Try my love" Troy Dodds, I just don't get this song. I'm convinced it was recorded on a wet rainy monday morning in some funeral parlour in Preoria, Michigan. Chris L

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::D

Shocked of Blackpool

Whoops!! yes I understand your shock state, Preoria is of course in Illinois................Chris L

:wicked:

Social source share

Some really good records mentioned so far... Jeff Perry, Troy Dodds, Etta James, Lynn Vernado etc. Has anyone seen the footage of JP doing LDCNS on Soul Train? absolutely brilliant!

Agree with this Gareth, it's actually astounded me that the quality of some of the records in here are far better than the ones being touted in the forgotten oldies!! Maybe my taste is just different.

And to be more controversial would name a new contendor for worst soul record (excepting Goerge Lemons but we have done that to death) as Wendell Watts - You Girl, finally found the Grapevine cd with it on, an otherwise great cd, and now believe my original judgement was correct, not an ounce of soul, or is it just me...

Jock

PS Good to meet you at Lifeline Gareth, apologies for not being too chatty, not my usual, a bit tired and emotional, all Tony Smiths fault, will definitely have a beer and chat next time.Have you seen the rest of the soul train footage? Forget what site its on, some of it very good.

Social source share

Some really good records mentioned so far... Jeff Perry, Troy Dodds, Etta James, Lynn Vernado etc. Has anyone seen the footage of JP doing LDCNS on Soul Train? absolutely brilliant!

You're a grand bloke Gareth, but I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree over the Jeff Perry... its always seemed wishy-washy, trite, background music to me, and since its been played to death at soul nights in the last couple of years, thats made things worse.

All subjective though, eh? whistling.gif

Social source share

Fascinating Girl - George Lemons

Moronic, badly sung, pointless - no soul content, no redeeming features whatsoever.

R U JOKIN

Social source share

R U JOKIN

No, sadly - I'd be interested in hearing why you think it isn't the worst record ever played on the scene though.

I would have thought even George's mum thinks this is a crime against vinyl.

Having said that, his version of It's an Uphill Climb to the Bottom is even worse, but I believe that was unissued, so strictly speaking ineligible for inclusion. (let's be thankful for small mercies). whistling.gif

Social source share

R.E George Lemons, I think its a fantstic record! OK its not sung in tune, but the lyric content is full of soul.........he may not be the best singer in the world but you can tell he is singing from the heart, Its these obscuritys that this scene flurish's on, would rather hear records like this, than some of the wishy washy disco pap there putting out to us...........but each to his own whistling.gif

Social source share

R.E George Lemons, I think its a fantstic record! OK its not sung in tune, but the lyric content is full of soul.........he may not be the best singer in the world but you can tell he is singing from the heart, Its these obscuritys that this scene flurish's on, would rather hear records like this, than some of the wishy washy disco pap there putting out to us...........but each to his own whistling.gif

It's a thin line, Baz. Possibly my main issue with George is that if it was a commonplace record no-one would be that bothered. It's obscurity has given it a veneer of respectability it doesn't really deserve in my humble opinion. At least it seems to be a record that people feel passionately about!

You're right about singing from the heart, though, I'd rather hear an amateur soulful performance from someone giving it their all, like say, Shirley Edwards on 'Dream My Heart' or even Joanie Sommers on 'Don't Pity Me' than someone who is talented but couldn't give a damn.

I'll put the cat among the pigeons here and say for example, someone like Aretha Franklin who is probably the finest technical singer I've ever heard, but you have to question her commitment on the secular stuff she's done. I've got a live gospel album she recorded when she was 14 and it would make you weep such is the raw power and emotion on display - the mass market stuff is (personally speaking) tame and non-commital by comparison.

At least George gave it a shot, I suppose. Hopefully he never gave up the day job.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

"Ski-ing in the snow" by the "Beach Girls" . Bloody hell i can't belive i bought this only 18 months ago :lol:

Saw it going cheap on demo, never heard it, thouht, wonder what that's like & it was £20 in J Manship's book so i bought it. How did it ever get listed as N soul ??

J Manship you have got a lot to answer for whistling.gif

P.S. Anyone want to buy it ?? lovely piece of pounding girl group N Soul :D it's £20 on J Manship's, Yours for only £5 bargin bargin bargin :(

But as for crap records that are recognised as decent, "Cool Off" & "Moonlight Music & You" always got on my tits ! Also i can vaguely remember a song, i think it was something like "There's That Mountain" ? it was a rip off of something really good, ( was it Cigarete Ashes / That Beating Rhythm ?) GOD THAT ONE USED TO MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL !! beer.gif & another that was an alternative to "Bobby Treetop - Wait Till i Get To Know You" I think ?

In fact i'm gonna generalise here, ALL ALTERNATIVE VOCALS TO CLASSICS MAKE ME BLOODY MAD !!!!! :yes::yes::(

WE USED TO SING 'MOONLIGHT, MUSIC AND CHICKENS' WITH SOUND EFFECTS...IT HELPED US THROUGH THE PAIN BARRIER...ALSO USED TO STAND IN THE QUEUE AT YATE SINGING' 'SHOP AT TESCOES' TO THE BREAK IN MANIFESTO...STILL LOATHE IT CHRIS M :lol:
Social source share

Been looking at some of the threads recently, best this that & the other so i thought i'd throw this up.

Why? I was out last Saturday at a 70s night & it was a pretty good night & then somebody had to spoil it by spinning the mindnumbingly awful "Love don't go through no changes in me" by SISTER SLUDGE :thumbsup:

God i hate that bloody record, really winds me up the wrong way it does, makes me bloody cringe just thinking about it.I swear if they were all melted down & made into ashtrays i'd stop smoking straight away.

There's a few more that are nearly as bad (IMO) eg, The Metro's - When i'm with my bay bee. Rufus Lumley - I'm standing, Bobby Well's - Be that way sometimes, Mr Day - Soul on wax etc etc but nothing as bad as SISTER SLUDGE.

Come on then, what makes you all cringe, not looking for the usual comments like Al or Frank Wilson, any modern or RnB etc, just the track that makes you shudder & cringe.

Go on, get it off your chest :lol:

Not quite on the same lines but got Tony Ellis to play "Lovers concerto" by Mrs. Mills at Yate when Britsh 45s were trendy. It's got a great intro and then she sings. Whole place just stopped and looked before Tony jumped in and took it off. Well at least I thought it was funny.

Social source share

Has to be "Try my love" Troy Dodds, I just don't get this song. I'm convinced it was recorded on a wet rainy monday morning in some funeral parlour in Preoria, Michigan. Chris L

:thumbsup:

Agree. Dreadful.

Send him Back....The Pointer Sisters, I hate this record with a passion.

loony-bin.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert