Whats Your 3 Most Hated Tunes

Pete, I wouldn't go as far as to say "one of the greatest things ever recorded" but in general I've gotta agree with ya on this mate.

It's not one of my favourites either but you've got to appreciate the craft in there. Mick Smith, who has been on the scene for night on 50 years, reckons this is the greatest Northern dancer ever. It's not far off. Like I said, if it was an unknown that you were hearing for the first time, people would go completely mental for it. And of course bear in mind, when it was first discovered and played, it didn't set the world on fire, yes it was popular for a few weeks but the Eddie Foster bootleg killed it so it's only since the cd age and the 'worlds rarest record' tag was put on it that it's become a subject for derision and not praise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

With or without rarity one of the greatest things ever recorded and anyone who says to the contrary needs psychiatric help. If you could explain exactly what is wrong with this track, please do. Oh is that awful Funk Brothers group playing the music, or the terrible vocals of Frank Wilson, or the rubbish tune and lyrics?

Dead easy for people to say that something they've heard a million times is crap, but if you heard that record for the first and only time you would be knocked off your feet and begging to hear it again. Even just that inro, when it builds, the anticipation that it's going to deliver the goods and BAM it sure does...

It's not that quality isn't there it's just so boring i yawn my way all through it. As you say Frank is singing really good, Funk bros is playing at their best etc and they STILL can't make the track lift in my opinion. It's just like watching a painting that is perfectly copying reality - it leaves no room for imagination or get you anywhere it's just another well-done artwork. It's like one of those guitarists that can play all notes at ones and are "soooooo gooooood", it bores me to death.

Motown did a million better tracks than that and leaving it as a promo was a fantastic decision in my opinion.

If you compare that to something like "suspicion" by the Originals it's just light years apart, i like those tracks with despair, raw emotion and gutted feelings - not just some feel-good sing-along ditty..

IMO of course..

L

Social source share

It's not that quality isn't there it's just so boring i yawn my way all through it. As you say Frank is singing really good, Funk bros is playing at their best etc and they STILL can't make the track lift in my opinion. It's just like watching a painting that is perfectly copying reality - it leaves no room for imagination or get you anywhere it's just another well-done artwork. It's like one of those guitarists that can play all notes at ones and are "soooooo gooooood", it bores me to death.

Motown did a million better tracks than that and leaving it as a promo was a fantastic decision in my opinion.

If you compare that to something like "suspicion" by the Originals it's just light years apart, i like those tracks with despair, raw emotion and gutted feelings - not just some feel-good sing-along ditty..

IMO of course..

L

Oh well...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Think i'd rather listen to Bobby Kline having diahorrea than you singing Pete;-)!

I'd rather listen to the sound of myself having diahorrea than Bobby Kline.

Social source share

IMO of course..

L

Just being picky..it wasn't the Funk Brothers tho was it? pure west coast recording..

Loved it when I first heard it and I'll stand by that. Agreed though,if ever a record's ever been played to death and then some,This is it..yawn.

Social source share

Just being picky..it wasn't the Funk Brothers tho was it? pure west coast recording..

Loved it when I first heard it and I'll stand by that. Agreed though,if ever a record's ever been played to death and then some,This is it..yawn.

from Andy Rix's article previously published on here.....

The session musicians for the day were pulled from the studio regulars that included Billy Strange, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine, Al De Lory, Carol Kaye and Tommy Tedesco. Frank seems to think that he played keyboard but clearly recalls that he sang backing vocals with the help of Brenda and Patrice Holloway. Both tracks were produced by Hal Davis and Marc Gordon.

Social source share

from Andy Rix's article previously published on here.....

The session musicians for the day were pulled from the studio regulars that included Billy Strange, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine, Al De Lory, Carol Kaye and Tommy Tedesco. Frank seems to think that he played keyboard but clearly recalls that he sang backing vocals with the help of Brenda and Patrice Holloway. Both tracks were produced by Hal Davis and Marc Gordon.

In other words, the best studio musicians on the West Coast.

Still amazed that anyone can consider this track as being rubbish.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

In other words, the best studio musicians on the West Coast.

Still amazed that anyone can consider this track as being rubbish.

Top 3 rubbish track might be a hard judging with stuff like "shake n bump" by Snoopy Dean kicking about but it's just bland in my ears. The iconic status of it and the price tag doesn't help for me either, that has easily tainted my taste for it over years time but if i made a top 500 motown track this would still not come near.. I'd rather go for ebony eyes by rick james and smokey any day :thumbup::P

L

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

=========================================================================================================================

.....don't agree with the (DE's) comment but get your drift. I could say the same for the 'Grand Piano Company'!!! :D

Well-known fact that you transform a duffer into a classic .......simply by increasing the volume!!! (Wigan Amp' volume settings went up to 11 as opposed to just 10...so...obvious really) :yes:

Brooky

Probbaly me mums tenuate dospan (chalkies or horsetablets) Even made us dance to footsie Etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garry

Social source share

Surprised that 'Condition Red' wasn't proposed on this thread. (although I like it it.... along with everything else everybody else hates :yes: )

However. French DJ (Loren) played it at Rugby 10th Anniversary last weekend....there was a veritable stampede onto the floor....... :yes:

Social source share

Guest Frank Jr

Intresting to see all the hate on tunes that are just overplayed. I mean look at the name of the thread, it should be a quality matter and not exposure.. The fact that people actually can state they hate Ruby Andrews and Frank Wilson with passion is just beyond my understanding. I mean, you could say you don't like (or even hate!) the dj's that are spinning them, that's totally fair, but I mean Ruby did some song's that really lacks quality and some killer tunes and that's it. When you say you hate this tune, you just look awfully ridiculous to me, since I think it's an absolute disrespect to both Ruby's legacy and Chicago soul! I mean if you really looking that hard after something to hate, go to a football ground, it works for me, then you don't have to hate so much on tunes just to make yourself look special and interesting..

I don't wanna say I hate something like the snake or anything else that's really obvious shit but what do you think of Karen Striblin's version on "Noot too young"?

I think it's a shit take on one of my fav tunes. The backing track is really good, but what about that singing (or whatever it should be called?) it's not soul anyway..

Social source share

My three most hated tunes are:-

Nolan Porter If I could only be sure

If I could only be sure Nolan Porter

AND

that awful Three Dog Night sounding rubbish by that guy who did "Keep on keepin' on"

ROD

Nolan Porter! :thumbsup:
Social source share

I listened to Bobby Kline again and I have to say it's nowhere near as bad as I remember it and is in fact pretty good.

So my most hated record ever has to be Larry Houston- Let's Spend Some Time Together which is so awful I don't think words have been invented for it. Awful in relation to the Northern Soul scene I mean. Away from that, I don't know. Probably still terrible but not as bad.

Social source share

With or without rarity one of the greatest things ever recorded and anyone who says to the contrary needs psychiatric help. If you could explain exactly what is wrong with this track, please do. Oh is that awful Funk Brothers group playing the music, or the terrible vocals of Frank Wilson, or the rubbish tune and lyrics?

Dead easy for people to say that something they've heard a million times is crap, but if you heard that record for the first and only time you would be knocked off your feet and begging to hear it again. Even just that inro, when it builds, the anticipation that it's going to deliver the goods and BAM it sure does...

Yep,just yep :yes:

Bazza :hatsoff2:

Social source share

IMO of course..

L

Well regardless of what some of the chin strokers on here may think,if it gets played out, the floor is full,perhaps they are all wrong,and what's wrong with a good singalong :huh:

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Well regardless of what some of the chin strokers on here may think,if it gets played out, the floor is full,perhaps they are all wrong,and what's wrong with a good singalong :huh:

Nothing wrong at all, i hope they're all happy shouting from the top of their lungs capacity but it's still not for me. I'm gonna stick to my guns not liking this song one bit, i think it's an uninspiring song without depth from artists/studio that have released some of my favourite tunes around so again, in my opinion this is boring regardless of it filling floors.

I mean a lot of people goes to Mcdonalds everyday but it doesn't mean that the food is the best there, it just has mass appeal for a big audience.

My 2 cents..

best

Le :P

Social source share

Nothing wrong at all, i hope they're all happy shouting from the top of their lungs capacity but it's still not for me. I'm gonna stick to my guns not liking this song one bit, i think it's an uninspiring song without depth from artists/studio that have released some of my favourite tunes around so again, in my opinion this is boring regardless of it filling floors.

I mean a lot of people goes to Mcdonalds everyday but it doesn't mean that the food is the best there, it just has mass appeal for a big audience.

My 2 cents..

best

Le :P

Nice - I see a new tag coming - "McDonalds tune" to go along with "Jean Genie brigade" etc :thumbsup:

If you dont mind me plagiarising your work of course :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Nice - I see a new tag coming - "McDonalds tune" to go along with "Jean Genie brigade" etc :thumbsup:

If you dont mind me plagiarising your work of course :)

I love plagiarism! Do what you want haha.. i'm pro-piracy in most ways :rofl:

best

Leo

Social source share

well i started this thread in January and its clear to see that there a big diverse list of tunes that folk dont like (hate was a bit strong i suppose ) but it goes to show one thing is apparent does it really matter what one person hates as another may 50 love it and if the dance floor fills then it done its job including the three i have put. but we all need to understand that most of these tunes fill a floor and that what the promoter want isn't it

Social source share

but we all need to understand that most of these tunes fill a floor and that what the promoter want isn't it

No, I don't :D

It was a fun thread mate, and I've 'yet again' learnt that it's just me that has the correct taste in music :rofl::hatsoff2::D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest micky p

HERE WE GO, SO IS THE SUN.THE WORLD COLLUMN !!! I WANNA DIE EVERYTIME I HERE IT ! DONT KNOW WHY BUT ITS HORRID ! GREEN DOOR ! TELL ME WHATS BEHIND THE GREEN DOOR ! A TRAP DOOR HOPEFULLY, THEN I WONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOUR GOD DAM AWFULL TUNE ! AND THE FIFE PIPER ! I ALWAYS HAVE TO LOOK BEHIND ME IN CASE I FIND ANY RATS FOLLOWING ME ! NOT A GOOD THING WHEN YOU ARE SPORTING BRAND NEW TOP OF THE RANGE SHINEY EYES ! LOL.MICKY P IN THE TOON.

Social source share

Guest micky p

I HATE IAN HUNTLEY ! BUT IF HE WAS TO EVER BRING OUT A NORTHERN SOUL TUNE THAT I LIKED THEN I WOULD DANCE TO IT ! LOL ! U CAN HATE SADAM HUSANE,JACK THE RIPPER AND THE WURZLES BUT TO HATE QUEEN OF FOOLS BARBARA MILLS OR HALOES ARE FOR ANGELS, BLANCH CARTER U HAVE TO BE WIRED UP WRONG ! ILL WIRE U UP RIGHT ! RIGHT TO THE MAINS POWER OUTLET ! BROWN TO BROWN,GREEN TO GREE AND BLUE TO BITS ! LMFAO !!! I AM THE ELECTRICIAN WHO CAN SWITCH YOU OFF ! SO DONT BE NAUGHTY AND SAY 10 HALE MARY LOVE'S LOL IM SURE SHE WILL TURN YOUR BITTER HATRED TO SWEET ! LOL AM I GOING TO START AN ARGUMENT HERE ? I HOPE SO ! LOL !!! GOD I HATE MONDAY'S ! YOU SEE WHAT I DID THERE ? STICK WITH ME AND YOU WILL GO FAR ! LOL MICKY P IN THE TOON

Social source share

Apologies for pitching in so late (and for not having three), but as far as I can tell no one has mentioned the worst "northern" record ever to disgrace the decks - that dreadful Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl.

I neither know nor care who it's by - all I want to know is how did a record that was clearly created with a Kellogg's cornflake ad in mind ever make it on to this scene? Those responsible should surely be reprimanded in some way...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Apologies for pitching in so late (and for not having three), but as far as I can tell no one has mentioned the worst "northern" record ever to disgrace the decks - that dreadful Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl.

I neither know nor care who it's by - all I want to know is how did a record that was clearly created with a Kellogg's cornflake ad in mind ever make it on to this scene? Those responsible should surely be reprimanded in some way...

TUNE! :lol:

I know I shouldn't and I'm reaaaaaaly sorry - Guilty pleasures an' all that "Wake up to the Sunshine Girl, do, do, do do" - I'm gonna sing it all afternoon....."Wake up to the Sunshine Girl"...... :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get the stake ready :P lol Burn Di as a witch time ......................

Benny Troy - I wanna give you tomorrow

Ruby Andrews - Just loving you

Lou Rawls - See you when I git there

aarrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol xxxx

I'm a bit late , but hey I am blonde xxx

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Really.? Elvis went into hiding when this got released.And "released" being the optimum description. :lol: .

I heard it was a social experiment by the Government to gauge reaction to an audio onslaught.A bit like Staring at Goats.

Ral Donner was an Elvis soundalike at least a decade before Don't Let It Slip Away.

Social source share

Reperata - Panic

Guy Darrell - Ive been Hurt

Lou Pride - Comin home in the morning

More if you want them.......3 Tunes that will make me go for some fresh air, even if its snowing outside

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!