Sounds That Die When A Club Goes Under

and the point of the above and to keep on topic, is that they were all known as Samantha's Records, when Sammy's shut- Zola went with it !

Yep - That's spot on Rob.

Did a Samantha's 'revival' night last year and thought I'd play Zola for old times sake ( Saw Dr No and King Errison Band is featured which reminded me ).

After I'd played it I thought to myself - Why the feck was that so big at Sams ??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Must have gone on holiday to Wigan then cos he played it there..

:lol:From a time Pete, Samatha's was Friday Night all-nighter, then he'd do Saturday night at Wigan, think he'd finished at Wigan before Sammy's closed. told me some great stuff about a DJ spending the night in the Cell's at Wigan over a stolen record..around 1974..... :thumbup:

:lol:

Social source share

RE: The closure of the Wheel coincided with the influx of millions of 45s being brought in from the states by Bostocks,F.L.Moores etc.

F L Moores (in Leighton Buzzard) was going way before the Wheel closed. I left WRCC in Wakefield & joined BR at Dony around 1968. That meant I got free train travel after a few weeks service. I used to catch the train down to Leighton Buzzard (via Kings X & Euston), visit F L Moores in the old detached house up the road from the station & buy in a stock of import 45's (I recall Soul Bros 6 "You'd Better Check Yourself" being a biggie for me). Then it was train to Manc & into the Wheel to double my money by selling the singles I'd just picked up at F L Moores.

Only trouble was (in the early months), I'd be buying the 45's I knew (& which I knew I could sell copies of) rather then any of the 'then unknown to me' gems that were also on the shelves in Leighton Buzzard.

FROM a 60's BILLBOARD MAG ............... ad placed 3 weeks running from early November 68 .....

post-22122-0-49250600-1359037498_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I've done a podcast to go with this thread, it may or not be of interest to you...

Here are the outcasts; the records that used to be loved but now are shunned by the Northern Soul Jet Set. Yet they all had their day once upon a time. Why exactly they became untouchables can be put down to a number of factors. The record was popular but quickly bootlegged, thus ending it’s life as a top sound; the record turned out to be less hard to find than as first though, so was dropped for being too common; the record became unfashionable with soul connoisseurs because it was too “white” sounding (a case with The Poppies record, which is a bit daft considering they were black girls); maybe the record was a one or two week wonder, played, peaked and dropped; or maybe the record was just total shit in the first place. What is for sure though is that it’s peer pressure from those ‘in the know’ that stops many of these fine records being played out by frightened DJ’s. “You’re gonna play WHAT???”

Anyway here’s a selection of ex-Monsters, the majority of which have been gathering dust since the late 70’s and are rarely if ever heard out at venues in 2013.

I bet that secretly you will love this podcast, I did!

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/banished-northern/

DISCLAIMER - I ACTUALLY REALLY LIKE HALF OF THESE - I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE 'BAD' RECORDS

MISTURA — THE FLASHER

IDLE FEW — PEOPLE THAT’S WHY

SUSAN COLEMAN — THE AGE OF THE WOLF

JOAN MOODY — WE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT

BOBBY JASON —WALL TO WALL HEARTACHES

JACKIE TRENT — YOU BABY

DAVID ‘KING’ THOMAS — YOU BETTER INVESTIGATE

THE CAMP — MARCHING

RAIN — OUT OF MY MIND

FRENCH FRIES — DANSE A LA MUSIQUE

RONNIE DAVIE — WHAT DOES IT MATTER TO ME NOW

JACKIE DESHANNON — FIND ME LOVE

LIFE — CATS EYES

CHRIS CERF — SWEET MUSIC

HIGH VOLTAGE — COUNTRY ROAD

OTIS BLACKWELL — IT’S ALL OVER ME

7 DWARFS — STOP GIRL

THE POPPIES — THERE’S A PAIN IN MY HEART

LORRAINE SILVER — LOST SUMMER LOVE

JON FORD — YOU GOT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME

BJ THOMAS — I DON’T HAVE A MIND OF MY OWN

MICKEY MOONSHINE — NAME IT YOU GOT IT

DANNY WILLIAMS — WHOSE LITTLE GIRL ARE YOU

THE INVITATIONS — SKIING IN THE SNOW

THE DETROIT SOUND — JUMPING AT THE GO GO

CHARLIE GRACIE — HE’LL NEVER LOVE YOU LIKE I DO

AUGUST & DENEEN — WE GO TOGETHER

THE 3 DEGREES — CONTACT

JOHN E PAUL — I WANNA KNOW

BOBBY GOLDSBORO — TOO MANY PEOPLE

SUSAN FARRAR — THE BIG HURT

EVELYN THOMAS — WEAK SPOT

MARY SAXTON — TAKE MY HEART

THE BELMONTS — YOU’RE LIKE A MYSTERY

RPM GENERATION — RONA’S THEME

FRANK LYNDON — DON’T GO AWAY BABY

THE ROYAL VIBES — THE JOKER

WOMBAT — I’M GETTING ON LIFE

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I've done a podcast to go with this thread, it may or not be of interest to you...

Here are the outcasts; the records that used to be loved but now are shunned by the Northern Soul Jet Set. Yet they all had their day once upon a time. Why exactly they became untouchables can be put down to a number of factors. The record was popular but quickly bootlegged, thus ending it’s life as a top sound; the record turned out to be less hard to find than as first though, so was dropped for being too common; the record became unfashionable with soul connoisseurs because it was too “white” sounding (a case with The Poppies record, which is a bit daft considering they were black girls); maybe the record was a one or two week wonder, played, peaked and dropped; or maybe the record was just total shit in the first place. What is for sure though is that it’s peer pressure from those ‘in the know’ that stops many of these fine records being played out by frightened DJ’s. “You’re gonna play WHAT???”

Anyway here’s a selection of ex-Monsters, the majority of which have been gathering dust since the late 70’s and are rarely if ever heard out at venues in 2013.

I bet that secretly you will love this podcast, I did!

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/banished-northern/

MISTURA — THE FLASHER

JACKIE TRENT — YOU BABY

THE CAMP — MARCHING

RAIN — OUT OF MY MIND

LIFE — CATS EYES

CHRIS CERF — SWEET MUSIC

7 DWARFS — STOP GIRL

THE 3 DEGREES — CONTACT

As good a pile of shite as you,d get anywhere :D :D :D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Ha ha funny that In all seriousness I do need a copy of "The Camp" for my Scepter collection. Valerie says it's not her on vocals so must be Jo Armstead :unsure:

Steve that copy I had (should be a lic of it on the mixcloud site) is the only copy I've ever seen and whatever the quality of the record, I rate it as being as hard to find as anything else I've ever had, stock copy as well. You know there's no vocals on that one on Scepter though right? You can hear the vocals in the distant background at times. I've no idea why this was released as the A side has no connection to the B side, different artist, music type etc.

Social source share

Loads of people asked me this, how do you download the podcasts off

Mixcloud, and I always replied that you can't - it's listen only - but

Dave O and Chalky both told me of a way to download so here it is

You can download a mixcloud using

www.offliberty.com

Copy and paste the URL into the blank box, click on the link below, of

in a black box, and it will download. (In other words, go to the page of

the podcast you want, copy it's address at the top - right click, copy -

then paste it into the box)

good luck

Pete

Social source share

MISTURA — THE FLASHER

JACKIE TRENT — YOU BABY

THE CAMP — MARCHING

RAIN — OUT OF MY MIND

LIFE — CATS EYES

CHRIS CERF — SWEET MUSIC

7 DWARFS — STOP GIRL

THE 3 DEGREES — CONTACT

Looks like the playlist from a local oldies night...

Social source share

There's quite a few on there I still like, Idle Few, Frank Lyndon, 7 Dwarfs & Charlie Gracie :ohmy:

Ditto....and I'd sooner have most of those tracks if it meant I wouldn't have to listen to 'Man of Value' or 'Standing on Solid Ground' or fookin Tribute to Betty Swallocks again.

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Ive counted 14 from that list that ive heard played out very recently [xmas to last wk]at 2 very well supported oldies clubs in the wigan bolton area.These 2 particilar clubs have full dance floors from start to finish and are very well attended,so not everyone hates em lol.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Yeah I bet you've all danced to The Flasher lately haven't you :rolleyes:

Not me personaly pete but thats one that i heard played,and it does look like most are listening to a different record than they are danceing to these days lol.

Social source share

Ive counted 14 from that list that ive heard played out very recently [xmas to last wk]at 2 very well supported oldies clubs in the wigan bolton area.These 2 particilar clubs have full dance floors from start to finish and are very well attended,so not everyone hates em lol.

Andy you (and presumably anyone else who's going to comment and say I've heard so and so somewhere) are missing the point though,

These are records we're constantly told that we shouldn't be listening to. Not black enough, not soulful enough. I like more or less all of the records on this list and I think it's a shame that they're always slagged off.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

I wasnt slagging em off pete,to be honest if i go to an oldies club in this area wigan bolton etc i expect to hear them and to be honest it doesnt bother me in the slightest.Ive heard the flasher played out a few times to be honest.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

These are records we're constantly told that we shouldn't be listening to. Not black enough, not soulful enough. I like more or less all of the records on this list and I think it's a shame that they're always slagged off.

7 Dwarfs would be in my top ten 'Oldies' but the comment below taken from the Youtube listing for 'Stop Girl' is typical....

"60s psyco - pop ... not northern at all......in other words CRAP.!!!!! ... sorry if ive upset anyone but its the truth and yes it was played at the old wig wam as we all know..good upload sound wise by kev but craps still crap....apart from that we always get good quality uploads from kev keep up the good work mate ...KTF..."

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

7 Dwarfs would be in my top ten 'Oldies' but the comment below taken from the Youtube listing for 'Stop Girl' is typical....

"60s psyco - pop ... not northern at all......in other words CRAP.!!!!! ... sorry if ive upset anyone but its the truth and yes it was played at the old wig wam as we all know..good upload sound wise by kev but craps still crap....apart from that we always get good quality uploads from kev keep up the good work mate ...KTF..."

I think it's a great record but - once again - the point is that if we were tio discuss this record, then 90% of people would claim it was white garage rock and they never ever liked it in the first place and all copies should be melted down!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve that copy I had (should be a lic of it on the mixcloud site) is the only copy I've ever seen and whatever the quality of the record, I rate it as being as hard to find as anything else I've ever had, stock copy as well. You know there's no vocals on that one on Scepter though right? You can hear the vocals in the distant background at times. I've no idea why this was released as the A side has no connection to the B side, different artist, music type etc.

Hi Pete, yes very rare and it probably didn't make it out of the warehouse officially. It was probably a demo thing that Ashford & SImpson did with Jo, and maybe even Stanley Greenberg. No idea why they put it out, I meant to ask Ed Silvers if he recalled it when I interviewed him, but forgot all about it. Valerie says it ain't her, which leaves Jo A as the likely culprit on the vocal version that Ady C located (I haven't tracked Jo down yet). They obviously just toned down the vocals on The Camp 45, like they did on several other tunes. There were quite a few things they didn't put out on demo, all very hit and miss.

Steve

Social source share

FOLLOW ON FROM POST # 106 ......

When I used to visit F L Moores (both at the old house & then when they moved into the town centre above a row of shops -- where they were based by April 1970), I only ever remember seeing soul 45's ....... mind you, that was all I was looking for.

I guess (from the US ad they placed) that they would have been offered US 45's (& LP's) of all genres, I just don't recall this being the case back then. Anyone buy non soul US vinyl off them in the late 60's or early 70's ??

By the way, I can recall visiting them at their new premises in early April 1970 really vividly. I took a copy of the new edition of B&S with me (to pass the time on the long rail journey). In that, I read the obit the mag published for Tammi Terrell.

So the 1st thing I asked for upon arriving at the shop was any solo T.T. 45's that they had in stock.

Anyone know when they moved premises ??

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

There's quite a few on there I still like, Idle Few, Frank Lyndon, 7 Dwarfs & Charlie Gracie :ohmy:

Mick H played French Fries at a local oldie do a few weeks ago, sounded pretty good after about 8 pints :)

How many?

Short People - Why'd you put it to me baby. - Gusto... :lol: .When did you last hear this out.?

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

When I was still in school (early 65) and was an aspiring mod (saving up to buy the 1962 Lambretta 175 I bought a few months later), I went to a local 'art student' run disco (one of the art student's dads had a brick shed standing empty in Bentley & he allowed the lads to do it up as a disco & open to all & sundry).

Anyway, one of the 45's I recall being played in the early weeks was Goldie & the Gingerbreads "Can't You Hear My Heartbeat" and this was quite popular for a short while (it even made the UK Pop Top 30 which is why it was probably dropped instantly as a play at the club).

It's strange coz it was very 'white' sounding and became (at about the same time as G&G's version hit the UK charts) a big US hit for Herman's Hermits. It was (I believe) a UK 45 B side to HH's big UK chart hit "Silhouettes". If we had known that HH's had cut the song it would never have been spun in the 1st place (HH being considered just about the naff-ist of all UK pop groups).

I wonder if G&G's record was ever played at the Mojo or Wheel; guess not.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Stomper of the highest order,all the top dj's will be chasing this after hearing it again.This died when Wigan did,(originally).When i hear this i get a whiff of Wigan bogs,a bit of sweat in the nostrils and that long Monday morning feeling.

Happy daze.

Beverley Bremers - Get smart girl.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

was it otis blackwell and john ford?

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

was it otis blackwell and john ford?

There are no clubs in bolton or wigan called ottis blackwell or john ford terry,have you had a long weekend :D .

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

There are no clubs in bolton or wigan called ottis blackwell or john ford terry,have you had a long weekend :D .

o.k lol was it cinderellas or the palais de dance :D

Social source share

I can't see why someone would pooh-pooh (general melchett voice) the idle few. The song is epic. The lyrics speak volumes too, probably released around 68 while the ghettoes were aflame. and the vocal is black to my ears. Knocking a record like that is plain daft. they ought to have a word with themselves.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't see why someone would pooh-pooh (general melchett voice) the idle few. The song is epic. The lyrics speak volumes too, probably released around 68 while the ghettoes were aflame. and the vocal is black to my ears. Knocking a record like that is plain daft. they ought to have a word with themselves.

The Idle Few were quintet from Indiana. White as the driven snow Macca, but that shouldn't really have a bearing on the music anyway. Great record, I agree although I never equated it with any burning ghetto scenarios though I have to admit.

Also, PJ Proby did a credible version on his LP.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe it was that bit about "I sit and wonder/but I don't understand/ why folks won't reach out/ and give a poor boy a helping hand"... then he hits us with his having the answer, that we must love one another, not like a sweetheart, but like a brother, Americans living out the true meaning of their creed etc...

I get to do some serious equating at times.Even surprise meself. I've heard that PJ Proby version too and quite like it.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!