Gerri Grainger ... Why Cant It Be Tonight

• 11 years later...
7 hours ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

EP 

Maybe but it’s not a real one is it? That was my point. Just three acetates existed all from the same source, one was broken and we know where the other two are. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, The Tempest said:

Yep - love to see a scan of that 

Me too, the 3 acetates that ady pulled from the vaults were hill and range publisher's acetates with no artist credited on them, certainly sounds nothing like bobbie smiths distinctive voice, call me cynical, but, i've got a feeling it's going to look something like this...

lou-pride-im-coming-home-emidisc.jpg

Edited by Trev Thomas
addition
Social source share

7 hours ago, Chalky said:

Maybe but it’s not a real one is it? That was my point. Just three acetates existed all from the same source, one was broken and we know where the other two are. 

I could be wrong but didn't Andy Peake have one and swapped it to Steve Chadwick for The Tranells.

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

6 hours ago, Trev Thomas said:

Me too, the 3 acetates that ady pulled from the vaults were hill and range publisher's acetates with no artist credited on them, certainly sounds nothing like bobbie smiths distinctive voice, call me cynical, but, i've got a feeling it's going to look something like this...

lou-pride-im-coming-home-emidisc.jpg

Yep - agreed - am guessing a 10” acetate or something similar 

Social source share

21 hours ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

I could be wrong but didn't Andy Peake have one and swapped it to Steve Chadwick for The Tranells.

He had it, thought he sold it to the lad who had his copy broken….he did tell me but memory of a goldfish these days lol

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

He had it, thought he sold it to the lad who had his copy broken….he did tell me but memory of a goldfish these days lol

I collected The Tranells off Steve Chadwick for him on some Hotel Car Park, I'm pretty sure the trade was for Gerri Grainger. possibly Chaddy's copy was then broken?

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
Social source share

12 hours ago, Trev Thomas said:

Ady had 3, the one he's still got, the one he sold that got broken, and a third that he mislaid which he found again about 8/9 years ago which is the one that was on manships auction which carl willingham got

Yes that is my understanding too

Social source share

On 17/02/2024 at 11:33, Jessie Pinkman said:

I collected The Tranells off Steve Chadwick for him on some Hotel Car Park, I'm pretty sure the trade was for Gerri Grainger. possibly Chaddy's copy was then broken?

I am pretty sure that the one that got broken came from Steve Chadwick.

The guy that owned it at that point told where it came from. He left all of his records at my house for some time circa 1995 including the "Why Can't It Be Tonight" acetate.

Social source share

Did the 3rd copy actually get broken ?? Anybody seen it ?? I know both the then girlfriend  (J) who apparently threw the record box down the stairs and the then owner of the 45 (Paul E). It might just be a story and the 45 was sold to somebody else..I have never asked either one , I do see J out at the same venues as me but never even thought of asking, if I did, I might only get a knowing smile ?

There is another person who might know the real story (KO) ??

Social source share

On 15/02/2024 at 15:43, Soulfulmerlin said:

Si I wonder whether you might like to play this off my 10 inch Acertate 

It's listed as Bobbie Smith just to be sure.

PM me and I'll bring it along. 

Defo getting a spin at Grimsargh Village Hall like. 24th Feb 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!