Your First Exposure To The Modern Soul Sound

Guest Nick Harrison

Guest Nick Harrison

The good folks and the poor folks may not identify with it's sound, many deny it's related and others journeyed onwards through it's exposure via northern soul.

Others already own it's acceptance - still today, having cherished it at root level.

Whatever - what was your gateway or early introduction into the infectious modern soul vibe.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Living in the south in a way I was always exposed to it, and knew of the Mecca 70s stuff. But I guess what kick started the modern scene into life was the late 70s W.C playlists of Top Cat, Lee Moore & resourceful Ones, Brainstormers, James Mack & Chicago Gangsters, Love Committee and the like. I needed to get these records....

John Anderson was the man who first got those records and sold them to the then top DJs. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As a youngster listening to Soul Sam playing Dee Edwards Loving You Is All I want To Do to empty dance floors at EASC nighters in the late 70s....I thought to myself what's going on here then? Sold off any 60s I had and planted my flag firmly in the Modern camp....

Regards

Ric

Social source share

An easy and boring reply Nick - Searling.

for me searling and farley were playing some quality modern soul at the morecambe pier but for me when it move to the carleton and had a modern room with dj like mark evans was a great time for modern soul for me also down stairs at bradford had some of my best night there to.

Social source share

Before I got into the "scene" I was buying albums by the likes of the Stylistics - probably aged about 13 or 14. Then got into the scene at 15 - and really struggled to get my head round some of the stuff which was "big" - although as young new kid on the block you kept yer gob shut. I knew then that I liked mid tempo soul music.

Someone has already said that they liked some of the stuff Sam was playing - and I did too. Went to Wigan in 80/81 and was absolutely blown away by Richard Searling - and others, Sam and Gary R. It was a long time ago, but things like Daybreak, Alfie Davison, Mind and Matter etc - equally championed by Sam and others too changed my whole outlook. Loved those sets - never been bettered in my view and it went from there. Other people over the years such as Poke, Pat, Arthur, Dave Thorley, Sean Hampsey etc have all played a part.

Niter wise Wigan, Clifton Hall, Cleethorpes, Bradford etc. These days my favourite stuff is mid tempo seventies - doesn't have to be danceable as long as it's soul. I still appreciate 60's soul music and newer stuff too. Will have a think about some of my favourite and most memorable records.

Could be a good thread this!

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I echo, experienced and share those sentiments Peter...I never really made a difference in the age of records more the quality, as time passed by the quality of recordings improved often leaving 60's recording techniques inferior to progress made in studios.

First time i heard King Tutt, Roy Dawson, Eddie Parker, Detroit sounds i knew that was where music was going and i was along for the journey...quality vocals, funky riffs, groovin' productions !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Larry Houston, Will Colllins and Will Power, Curtis, Skip Mahoney, The Pretenders, Charles Johnson etc - the best music time for me by a long shot. Most of em have stood the test of time. I was living the dream back then - fantastic times with some of the best people I've ever met.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The good folks and the poor folks may not identify with it's sound, many deny it's related and others journeyed onwards through it's exposure via northern soul.

Others already own it's acceptance - still today, having cherished it at root level.

Whatever - what was your gateway or early introduction into the infectious modern soul vibe.

Thanks in advance.

:)

So what was your first exposure to the dark side Nick?

Peter

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Upstairs third room at Birmingham Locarno all dayers with Sam and Arthur circa 1980-81 ? Janice and omni mike jemison and co were being played downstairs but here was something very new and different, didn't recognise hardly anything except 'like taking candy from a baby', can't even remember who it was by! Brown label?

Social source share

It always made so much sense to me to be played in the same room as Johnny Sayles and Lorraine chandler and I've never had a problem listening to any good music of any era.

That's an interesting and very valid point buddy. Having to pick and choose between the main room and the modern room was a pain - I always felt like I was missing out and used to run back and forth dependant upon who was jocking. My preference back then and today, is/was modern - but I liked good soul music, and there was some dynamite new 60's discoveries being played.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Upstairs third room at Birmingham Locarno all dayers with Sam and Arthur circa 1980-81 ? Janice and omni mike jemison and co were being played downstairs but here was something very new and different, didn't recognise hardly anything except 'like taking candy from a baby', can't even remember who it was by! Brown label?

J T Brown !!!!!!

Social source share

Yeah, and it also freed you up from the shackles of scene loyalty, y'know, you're either modern or 60's. I could never get my head round that ridiculous self imposed restriction on what I should or should not listen to. Curtis, Janice, keys to the City, velvet hammer, King tutt, Montclairs, Carstairs, flippin' heck, they all sound just as good now.

Fcuk it. I'm gonna power up my amp and dig some of these babies out. Volume!

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

didnt know that must find my copy :)

Best release on the Mahogany label, first played by Richard Searling and years later activated by one Martin Barnfather !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Like other's flitting between The Winter Gardens, Wigan and Yate, back then, being mecca musically inspired, refreshing tunes like Willie Collins & Will Power - covered as Love Committee.

Carol Anderson - Sad Girl.

Flame King & The Bold Ones - Oh Happy Day.

ZZ & Co covered as Oscar Perry.

Larry Houston covered as Top Cat.

Daybreak - as Peter 99 has posted - covered as Tyrone Edwards.

Bobby Thurston - covered as Al Johnson and the Hit Men.

Sandy Linzer and as Steve G flagged Lee Moore and The Resourceful ones & Roy Dawson. 

All broke the mould.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Like other's flitting between The Winter Gardens, Wigan and Yate, back then, being mecca musically inspired, refreshing tunes like Willie Collins & Will Power - covered as Love Committee.

Carol Anderson - Sad Girl.

Flame King & The Bold Ones - Oh Happy Day.

ZZ & Co covered as Oscar Perry.

Larry Houston covered as Top Cat.

Daybreak - as Peter 99 has posted - covered as Tyrone Edwards.

Bobby Thurston - covered as Al Johnson and the Hit Men.

Sandy Linzer and as Steve G flagged Lee Moore and The Resourceful ones & Roy Dawson. 

All broke the mould.

Had to think about the Lee Moore cover for a while - Ike Strong of course. I remember coming back from Wigan and singing bits of Daybreak and Alfie Davison over and over again. My dear old mam says "Don't you know any more of them records"? Me - "no mam". :lol: Sheeat I miss me mam. :(

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

would have to be at yate john kojack harvey was always championing new releases

Yes JH was at the cutting edge and rarely covered nothing up !!

Which aloud us to travel back north with names and titles - with an air of up fronted detective knowledge. Not just Al Williams covered as The Masqueraders or Paris covered as Gene Mcdaniels. Jackie Beavers covered as Mel Britt. Stomp on.     

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Plenty of contoversy around back then too obviously the huge Sam/Arthur split which most people will be aware of - we've done some good threads on here previously. Sam getting the sack at Wigan etc.

Certain records appeared to be individually controversial too - the Cassanova record for Sam being one example.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Remember Poke playing this at Cleethorpes....all I could remember was the line "they don't make lady's like you no more" so when a few weeks later Soul Bowl listed something similarly titled I bought it blind....for me that was the ultimate needle dropping moment! For once the right record! lol

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Nice record Dave. Wasn't this Pokes cover up - something and the three (two)? way split?

Peter

Yes mate, Eddie Richards & the Three Way Split. As I posted in another thread a few months back Poke used to send me cassettes. Here's the tracklist of one of them ..

Horizon - Don't Make 'em Like You
Cindie Harris - Dance me, Swing Me
Al McCall - Hard Times
Four Tops - Let Me Set You Free
Bill Harris - Am I Cold, Am I Hot
Earl White Jr - Very Special Girl
Sidney Joe Qualls - I Don't Do This
Geater - Breath Taking Girl
Vernon Burch - Never Can Find A Way
Young Devines - Ain't That Sharp (inst)
Greg Diamond - Bring Back Your Love
Chosen Few Band - What It Takes To Live
Winston Hewitt - I'm Feeling Good
Paul Thompson - Special Kind Of Woman  
Brothers Gilmore - I Feel A Song
Raj - Something Inside
Mark IV - If You Can't Tell Me Something Good
King Moses - I've Got This Feeling
Split Decision - Watching Out
Hugh Boynton - We're Gonna Make It
Mind & matter - I'm Under Your Spell
Flight - Playing Your Games
Maurice Jackson - True Love Is You 
Colors - Am I Gonna Be The One
Marvin Ruffin - This Thing Called Love
Social source share

Yes mate, Eddie Richards & the Three Way Split. As I posted in another thread a few months back Poke used to send me cassettes. Here's the tracklist of one of them ..

Horizon - Don't Make 'em Like You
Cindie Harris - Dance me, Swing Me
Al McCall - Hard Times
Four Tops - Let Me Set You Free
Bill Harris - Am I Cold, Am I Hot
Earl White Jr - Very Special Girl
Sidney Joe Qualls - I Don't Do This
Geater - Breath Taking Girl
Vernon Burch - Never Can Find A Way
Young Devines - Ain't That Sharp (inst)
Greg Diamond - Bring Back Your Love
Chosen Few Band - What It Takes To Live
Winston Hewitt - I'm Feeling Good
Paul Thompson - Special Kind Of Woman  
Brothers Gilmore - I Feel A Song
Raj - Something Inside
Mark IV - If You Can't Tell Me Something Good
King Moses - I've Got This Feeling
Split Decision - Watching Out
Hugh Boynton - We're Gonna Make It
Mind & matter - I'm Under Your Spell
Flight - Playing Your Games
Maurice Jackson - True Love Is You 
Colors - Am I Gonna Be The One
Marvin Ruffin - This Thing Called Love

Some awesome records on there Dave. Used to love his sets early 80's - second time round for him. Forgot about a few on that list - nice one buddy.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Certain records appeared to be individually controversial too - the Cassanova record for Sam being one example.

Peter

Seized on by the anti-bodies too. The fact is that Sam played it before it got into the charts, when it was a red hot import.....

Social source share

Flight and Horizon are probably two of the worst records to have been played on the modern scene.

I know someone who found a copy of flight in states,he put it inside an lp sleeve and later went on to sell lp with 45 still inside.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't understand the question, so here's my attempt at an answer:

Do I love 70s and early 80s northern soul like Charles Johnson, Jeffrey Osbourne, Atlantic Starr, Jan Jones, Willpower, Alfie Davison, The Montclairs, etc... - YES

Do I like modern soul - NO

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!