What Gives A Soul Night Direction - Punters Or Promoters?

Dean

Predicting this will become an oldies V rare/underplayed topic, and if so, so be it, but here goes:

At a new Northern Soul event on Friday with a few friends. The DJ line up and the venue were very interesting to to my outlook. If you guess the event it doesn't matter, this isn't a slight at the event, on the whole I thought it was good with a few teething problems. But discussing the night got me to thinking.

The event was one room, that room was 70% dancefloor but due to the room layout felt like 90% dancefloor. There's a mixed crowd attending, and here I'm going to make some crass presumptions.

There's a good number of bags/ Flaired skirts, beer towels, hold-alls, vests and badges, that I'd associate with a predominantly oldies / NS top 500 night. There's not a record bar but there's a few label fanatic chin strokers (no apology for that one 'cos that includes me), and I'm sure various shades of grey between those two stereo-types.

It's a big dance floor venue, it's going to take to a lot of nerve to hold for a DJ to play to a smattering of 2 or 3 dancers. When a Northern Soul 'anthem' comes on the floor fills. I'm enjoying the records that don't get such a dancefloor reaction. I applaud the DJ occasionally to try and show my appreciation but it's a big room.

Is this type of event destined to become an oldies / top 500 night due to pressure to play to dance-floor reaction?

Is it possible to run a rare/underplayed night (whatever that conjours in your imagination) in a venue with a half-empy (at best) dancefloor? I recall when we were running The Attic some guy said to me "It's good but look at floor, you can't be playing to an empty floor at 10pm", we thought we could, in the long run perhaps we were wrong.

Is there a silent (as in not noticeable as a dance-floor group) crowd enjoying the tunes that don't pull the 'oldies' crowd onto the floor? I'll give that to the "oldies" crowd, it's certainly one on the floor, all on the floor!

I realise NS was predominantly a dance scene more than a soul music scene, but then it was a nighter scene with soul nights (often mid-week) as an introduction to some and social catch up to the initiated. Soul Nights are so much more abundant these days, with their direction driven often by dancefloor reaction.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I dunno the answer to that Dean. But the last event I was at , the biggest floor filler of the whole do was 'BEGGIN' by Timebox. (Not my cup of tea) There was a right good mix of folk, the niter crowd, the retro scene, modern, RnB, etc etc. but there is no disputing the fact that punters love the classic oldies.

Will be interesting to see differing views on the topic

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Depends on how it was advertised !!!!

If it said Northern Soul & Motown then I would expect the Top 500 with a Few underplayed.

If it said Rare & Underplayed, i would NOT expect the Top 500.

Agree to some extent Brav, but I don't blame a promoter for being inclusive rather than exclusive in promotion, particularly on the first night. Not related to the event I was at but there can be a question mark over "Across the Board" promotion. I was attracted by the DJ line up, but part of my question relates to the pressure of the more visible masses on those DJs.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

. but there is no disputing the fact that punters love the classic oldies.

Will be interesting to see differing views on the topic

I think that's something I've just got to accept Ian, and that preference is out there in visible number.

Social source share

Agree to some extent Brav, but I don't blame a promoter for being inclusive rather than exclusive in promotion, particularly on the first night. Not related to the event I was at but there can be a question mark over "Across the Board" promotion. I was attracted by the DJ line up, but part of my question relates to the pressure of the more visible masses on those DJs.

I know what you mean Dean, personally I hate the term (Across The Board) I think most people don't know what there supposed to get music wise. It sounds to me that the Dj's you were attracted by were put in an impossible situation. I'm not knocking the oldies scene, they go to listen to the music they like and you can't fault them for that, the same goes for the Rare & Underplayed scene.

The two just don't work together unless there are 2 rooms so people can have a choice ie a bit of both or just the one room. IMHO

Social source share

To answer the actual question - I'd like to think a bit of both.

Cater for the masses (of whom are in the place) so they don't lose interest, because without them such a big event simply wouldn't 'happen'......but make damn sure the event also supports the original ethos of the Scene by including D.J's that put something fresh into their sets - and that doesn't mean completely new discoveries......I keep saying this I know, but I'll say it again - These 'Returnees', have been 'returned' for ten years now and don't need patronising, they will welcome fresh stuff if it is done 'nicely'

A few years back I was asked to get involved in a very large oldies venue (The Pemberton Centre) and at first took quite a bit of flack for introducing unfamiliar tunes, I had a few complete dance floor clearers, and at one point I had half a dance floor - No, I mean 'literally' half a dance floor, it was the right hand half of the floor actually, honestly, you could have drawn a straight line down the middle! :D It just so happened that on that side, was where people that travelled congregated, whereas the other side consisted of mainly locals that didn't.

No problem with that, we decided just to put me on for 45 minutes each one around 9.00 - 9.30 ish, and after a few months the 10.00 / 10.30 spot worked a treat. People got to know it was 'Lenny doing his bit' time. I had lots of fun jibes thrown at me like....."Ok, Lenny's on - time for a Pizza".....Or...."Crikey the bars packed, Lenny must be on"..... etc. Anyway, we managed to get the point across that we were simply trying to share more tunes, and they respected that.....Where it all goes wrong is when the punters are not familiar with the tunes, and get the impression that nothings gonna change all night - They then lose interest, stop listening, and go home unhappy, on top of which, they go and tell others how sh*t the night is.....then you're onto a loser.

Whatever though - It's never easy, In fact, I'd say it's harder nowadays - Everyone's a f*ckin' expert :excl:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I know what you mean Dean, personally I hate the term (Across The Board) I think most people don't know what there supposed to get music wise. It sounds to me that the Dj's you were attracted by were put in an impossible situation. I'm not knocking the oldies scene, they go to listen to the music they like and you can't fault them for that, the same goes for the Rare & Underplayed scene.

The two just don't work together unless there are 2 rooms so people can have a choice ie a bit of both or just the one room. IMHO

I think that's about right for nowadays.

Social source share

It's always been the state of play that you are not going to love every other persons choice....get over it...chat to your mates and dance when your Soul moves.

Dead easy.

Chr*st! Why didn't you tell us this years ago Barry?!!! :lol: 

.......It is that simple isn't it? :yes: 

All the best,

P.s - I spelt 'Peers' wrong (Now edited) :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Carling

I personally like to go to both rare and underplayed nights and oldies nights it make no difference it's all Northern Soul to me.

Social source share

I personally like to go to both rare and underplayed nights and oldies nights it make no difference it's all Northern Soul to me.

It was all NS to me Andy, when 'You're The Light That Guides My Way' was played alongside 'The Champion' by DJ's that I trusted (don't pick that pairing apart I'm thinking on me (ale) feet).... the golaposts have been moved, everyone is now involved in their own micro-scene, be it the fact that they are the dj or their mate is - I think you get me...we all danced on a level playing field at one time...we knew where we were...not any more...everyone thinks they are one step away from yesterdays Gods.

Am I sounding like my old self? :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep. People invariably create schisms, not music itself. The things supposed to be about the latter isn't it? Bit of inclusivity, open mindedness, tolerance and, most of all, passion and we'll be right lol.

Personally, I really loathe the 'labelling' thing: rare and underplayed, oldies etc; wtf? Often misleading and disappointing, invariably divisive at a time when there's more dos than punters as it is and no atmosphere = p*ssing in the wind I reckon.

For the life of me I can't see why it has to be an either / or musically; I also don't think anyone has to or should resort to 'lowest common denominator'. While you might reasonably argue that it's really tough to find swathes of new 60s that stand-up these days, we do have a nigh-on fifty year back catalogue of incredible stuff to go at. Surely it's possible to mix n match and make a decent fist [not necessarily on a badge] outta that little lot?

Now that is what I call a sensible post. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Predicting this will become an oldies V rare/underplayed topic, and if so, so be it, but here goes:

At a new Northern Soul event on Friday with a few friends. The DJ line up and the venue were very interesting to to my outlook. If you guess the event it doesn't matter, this isn't a slight at the event, on the whole I thought it was good with a few teething problems. But discussing the night got me to thinking.

The event was one room, that room was 70% dancefloor but due to the room layout felt like 90% dancefloor. There's a mixed crowd attending, and here I'm going to make some crass presumptions.

There's a good number of bags/ Flaired skirts, beer towels, hold-alls, vests and badges, that I'd associate with a predominantly oldies / NS top 500 night. There's not a record bar but there's a few label fanatic chin strokers (no apology for that one 'cos that includes me), and I'm sure various shades of grey between those two stereo-types.

It's a big dance floor venue, it's going to take to a lot of nerve to hold for a DJ to play to a smattering of 2 or 3 dancers. When a Northern Soul 'anthem' comes on the floor fills. I'm enjoying the records that don't get such a dancefloor reaction. I applaud the DJ occasionally to try and show my appreciation but it's a big room.

Is this type of event destined to become an oldies / top 500 night due to pressure to play to dance-floor reaction?

Is it possible to run a rare/underplayed night (whatever that conjours in your imagination) in a venue with a half-empy (at best) dancefloor? I recall when we were running The Attic some guy said to me "It's good but look at floor, you can't be playing to an empty floor at 10pm", we thought we could, in the long run perhaps we were wrong.

Is there a silent (as in not noticeable as a dance-floor group) crowd enjoying the tunes that don't pull the 'oldies' crowd onto the floor? I'll give that to the "oldies" crowd, it's certainly one on the floor, all on the floor!

I realise NS was predominantly a dance scene more than a soul music scene, but then it was a nighter scene with soul nights (often mid-week) as an introduction to some and social catch up to the initiated. Soul Nights are so much more abundant these days, with their direction driven often by dancefloor reaction.

Out of interest Dean, what kind of records were clearing the floor? Are we talking true underplayed, well known oldies outside of the top 200, Stafford revivals, 70s etc?

Reason I ask is that have a really good mate whose returned to the scene in the East Mids and she wants me to do an 'oldies' night out with her and I want to get a feel of what I might be letting myself in for :)

Edit to clarify: I mean possibly go to an oldies night not promote one :)

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

It will really depend on the reasons for running an event.  Is it Money oriented or Music oriented.

If you know what you ultimately want then persevere. You will get people investigating to see what this new place is all about and if it is their thing then they will come back. If not then they are the people you don't really need anyway !  You can't please everyone so as long as you please yourself then you have reached your Goal.

I am predominantly an Oldies boy but do not disrespect others for their own preferences. Its yours, do what YOU want with it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Is this type of event destined to become an oldies / top 500 night due to pressure to play to dance-floor reaction?

Great post Dean, its a catch 22 that is being experienced all over the country, and when you look at the ratio of nostalgia nights as opposed to rare/underplayed nights, the former seems to be win by an avalanche, then the picture seems to suggest nostalgia has taken over big style, I know from experience that groups of people all over the country set out to run a do that flies in the face of "same old, same old" but when faced with an empty floor at 10pm either throw the towel in or succumb to the safety tactic, this leaves you with a totally deflated and uninspiring experience, the dancefloor appears to be king, personally I have been to nights (and days) haven,t danced but applauded nearly every record I have heard and had a great time, sticking to your guns for 2 or 3 dates initially, and not capitulating to the flared trouser and see if word of mouth gets the desired clientel in would seem to be the way to go, but like I said from experience, easier said than done. Point being, the Promoter should drive it to reach the initial objective (or goal) and persevere with their beliefs

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

to answer the original question in my opinion and experience its a mix of both punter and promoter OVER TIME...personally speaking our night has progressed over the years to be a mix of oldies and lesser known stuff from all soul sub genres (even a few 70s) exept modern..

originally we even played british beat and some ska but the dancefloor and crowd has changed as these didnt work so well as the soul stuff (although we still get asked for ska and occasionally finish on a COUPLE)

so this is where the punter has come in BUT we have always tried to play something a bit different too instead of probably fillilng the place years ago by playing oldies off of boots! and picking and mixing together guests who we know will mix it up a bit..so this is where the promoter comes in

so over nearly 6 years we have a bunch of regulars who know they will get a bit of everything and are fine with that..a mix of oldies lovers...rnb mod types and 45 junkies/djs wanting to add to their wants lists!..new faces everyweek some love the relaxed vibe and come again others are polite and we dont see again and thats fine ..thats when time comes into it

i reckon

dean

Edited by spacehopper
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest scottie

Yep. People invariably create schisms, not music itself. The things supposed to be about the latter isn't it? Bit of inclusivity, open mindedness, tolerance and, most of all, passion and we'll be right lol.

Personally, I really loathe the 'labelling' thing: rare and underplayed, oldies etc; wtf? Often misleading and disappointing, invariably divisive at a time when there's more dos than punters as it is and no atmosphere = p*ssing in the wind I reckon.

For the life of me I can't see why it has to be an either / or musically; I also don't think anyone has to or should resort to 'lowest common denominator'. While you might reasonably argue that it's really tough to find swathes of new 60s that stand-up these days, we do have a nigh-on fifty year back catalogue of incredible stuff to go at. Surely it's possible to mix n match and make a decent fist [not necessarily on a badge] outta that little lot?

i agree totally phil i might be going a little bit off post but it gets a bit tiring when you hear someone go on about how many 1000s of records they have but every time ithey have a spot its the same core 0f 10-15 records they play.maybeim being a bit mean spirited but with the back catalogue there is to go at dont think any djs at any dos should play the same record twice.

Social source share

I started small....Soul Night holding about 120-50 comfortably. We played all and it didn't seem a problem when only 8/10 were dancing to the then unreleased Carla Thomas 100 Club Anniversary single 'I'll Never Stop Loving You'....which 20 years later i'm sure is considered a 'classic' and would interest 90% today!!!x 

As a collective...several Soul Clubs 'united' to provide a bigger night for all. That venue was The Maltings...it held 350 'officially'. We maxed that out at the first and each one of 3...! Shifty who was a 'newbie' then DJ'd his first A/N there.....played stuff that didn't hit the Ritz for another 2 years!!!! Some of it cleared the floor...I have it on tape....ohhhh yessss....and left about 20/30 dancing I recall......but didn't 'kill it'....! Therefore....it's about the 'quality'! If 10% ain;t dancing to the tune.....perhaps its the tune....!hehe!x

shiftya.jpg

maltings.jpg

The 'marketing' of the new night gives the impression too for what is expected.....here was ours! EVERY recordfeatured in print on the flyer....was among our collections collectively!!!!x

maltingsa.jpg

However...if the venue you are describing is 'old school'....a 'Stomper' type of venue......then Norvern is wot I would expect.....hand bags and all! Keele...Kings Hall....all epitomise that kind of doo. The environment/design can dictate the folks reaction! When we went to St Ives as we'd outgrown The Maltings....we needed at least 50/100 on the dance floor to make sure 'negative' din't go out there Nationwide that it was a cr'p night/empoty dancefloor!!! Fortunately there was only Len that did that too us.....so 1 hour outta 10 was wivin the 10% allowable failures.....!(Luv u too mate...X!)

@@
~

Here is the first review of that first night....the one where the decks didn't come on until 2 minutes to go......! I've given a link to a bigger pic for those wanting to read it proper...X

manifestomini.jpg

https://www.skooters.cc/images/manifesto.jpg

The St Ivo became a predominantly top 500 jobbie....and rightly so. It's a 'rave' init....not geared up as a college or owt!x

What I did do to satisfy those eager students was this....set up the smallest venue I could find! The Duke of Argyle in Cambridge! A room above a side streeted pub! Held max 50....dark....dingy....and the DJ could sit behind a booth with a hatch in front of them....which they could hide behind when tunes got reaaaaaal iffy!!!hehe!x To be sincere.....these nights were some of the best nights I had whilst being active throughout the 90's. I heard more tunes and learned more stuff at these nights than anywhere else in the UK. Horses for courses I suppose i'm saying Dean!x Choose your product....know the market interest....and find a suitable venue to 'flog it'....supply and demand!x Use the 10% rule for 'mixing it'....and I think Bob will be ure Aunt and u'll have a super night wherever!x

argyle.jpg

The above tunes were played at that do in '95 to a packed....5/6/7/8 folk...dance floor....and EVERYONE enjoyed the music and occasion! Sold out months in advance!x DJ's from around the UK featured! The Manifesto report suggested a few 'big names' would assist in the promotion of my nights at the outset of the St Ivo...but I never used 1...in all my promotions. Yes some featured....BUT...it wasn't about them...and never needed any of their 'qdos'. My nights were to promote/reward new folk....new music...and 'togetherness' of all that had gone before. It worked. It was the blue print of the 'Togetherness' concept. Kev et al took on the wisdom of our experience gathered in the 90's....and invested it into Kings Hall after we'd finished. The only thing missing...is the newbie DJs/Soul Club involvement....oh.....and oranges!x

Hopefully some thoughts for your future efforts Dean and u newbie promoters...X 

LUV
SOOTY...Lens bestest mate....!x
X

@@
~

For u folk with Business degrees and the like....figure this.....

10 hours....divided by 10 Soul Clubs=1 hour each. Initially....50 tickets to each Soul Club that usually accommodate 100+ at their own does to sell to their own!! Their investment meant this new network could capitalise on it. 10 x 50=500 folk in attendance.....irrelevant of the Nation....yawn. Ipso Facto....no marketing really required. Observe the masses....and do the opposite. It's a Sootification app...which a figure cannot be quantified for....sorry as ure equation won;t work without it...it's the X factor......I reckon!x

@@
~

00035458.jpg

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Think i may have been at the same or a similar night.I think the answer comes down to the skill and experience of the DJs.When a its mixed crowd as you describe the key is to get the floor full with a few standard anthems which builds the atmosphere and creates a feel good factor in the venue.Then introduce underplayed stuff every 3rd or fourth spin with the same tempo to keep continuity.The oldies crowd will stay on the floor if the tempo is right and will enjoy dancing to new stuff.The problem is when DJs keep altering the tempo and style of records the whole set becomes disjointed and people loose interest.I know its a lot harder than it looks but the Structure of the sets is the key in my opinion to a successful night.

I think that is called the ability to DJ.

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It will really depend on the reasons for running an event.  Is it Money oriented or Music oriented.

If you know what you ultimately want then persevere. You will get people investigating to see what this new place is all about and if it is their thing then they will come back. If not then they are the people you don't really need anyway !  You can't please everyone so as long as you please yourself then you have reached your Goal.

I am predominantly an Oldies boy but do not disrespect others for their own preferences. Its yours, do what YOU want with it.

It should be Music everytime.

If its for the money,you'll play to the floor,fill the floor.But, it may not be heading for the place you thought.A monster may have been created.

If its for the music,you need like minded folks attending.The floor may clear ,more than fill.A monster may have been created.

Choose your monster wisely.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

we needed at least 50/100 on the dance floor to make sure 'negative' din't go out there Nationwide that it was a cr'p night/empoty dancefloor!!! Fortunately there was only Len that did that too us.....so 1 hour outta 10 was wivin the 10% allowable failures.....!(Luv u too mate...X!)

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY...Lens bestest mate....!x

X

@@

~

:lol: ........and I'm proud of that 'fact!'

Luv you to mate! :wink: 

P.s - and your 'short, to the point' posts! :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

It should be Music everytime.

If its for the money,you'll play to the floor,fill the floor.But, it may not be heading for the place you thought.A monster may have been created.

If its for the music,you need like minded folks attending.The floor may clear ,more than fill.A monster may have been created.

Choose your monster wisely.

Yep, my thoughts entirely. Be true to yourself at all times. If it's the Money side then I can't see there being an issue, should be straight forward - Not that I advocate that in any way !

If its the Music make sure you are wearing a Tin Hat and don't give in to the rhetoric that will be hurled in your direction.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Chaps - I'm getting a Driver Error - only thing I can get on is this thread ???

www.soul-source.co.uk Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

Edited by Barry
Social source share

If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again.

me too  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

and me - It normally goes away after a while.

But thanks Barry - What would we do without Soul-source?!!! :ohmy: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anyway fella's - while we're waiting - how we doin'? :wink:

"Not bad thanks" :D 

Works busy at last, hence I'm not on here 'as much' as I used to be - but I have a computer at my desk (get me!) so I'm afraid, you are all 'to hand'

Hope your good to Barry - You haven't started a thread in a good while mate.....Since (it seems) I named you 'Barry the Thread Starter' (Fire Starter) :D 

This is a goodun though, I would say another 12 posts, then it will all get nasty - Bring it on! :thumbup: ...."People vote with their feet - end of!"......(etc) :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

business really slow for me, loads of jam tomorrow jobs but cash flow hurting at the minute........hope its just seasonal  :(

....saving up for Scotland in November all the same, going to have to be a last minute booking job though in the circumstances

....back on thread, waiting to get nasty at the appropriate time... :wicked: .....NOT  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

business really slow for me, loads of jam tomorrow jobs but cash flow hurting at the minute........hope its just seasonal  :(

....saving up for Scotland in November all the same, going to have to be a last minute booking job though in the circumstances

....back on thread, waiting to get nasty at the appropriate time... :wicked: .....NOT  :D

F*ckin' cash flow! - As 'we speak', I am ringing round trying to get some monies in just so I can pay the damn wages - It's been like this every month for a good while now, and I'm getting tired. Thinking positively though - I do think we are getting out of 'it' (as in all of us) but there's another two years of hardship ahead I believe - It's been 5 years so far, and if you read the bible (which I'm sure most of you do) It's 'Seven fat cows / Seven thin cows'.......I think I have it sussed :D 

.....Am I 'off topic'? :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

F*ckin' cash flow! - As 'we speak', I am ringing round trying to get some monies in just so I can pay the damn wages - It's been like this every month for a good while now, and I'm getting tired. Thinking positively though - I do think we are getting out of 'it' (as in all of us) but there's another two years of hardship ahead I believe - It's been 5 years so far, and if you read the bible (which I'm sure most of you do) It's 'Seven fat cows / Seven thin cows'.......I think I have it sussed :D 

.....Am I 'off topic'? :D 

Amen to that Rev. Len  :thumbsup:

.......more fat cows than thin cows where I live though!  :ohmy:

.......and you are no ore off-topic than usual mate  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah, same here mate - it's dragging.

I struggle to find the gumption to start a thread these days Len - takes too much out of me :wink:

(...and if you believe that haha)

Yes it can be exhausting - 'Head on the block' or what? :excl:

Woody, as in 80's Woody 'The legend' (not on here) said to me a while back........"If it's said with good intension, that's all that matters"....and he's right - If you say (write) things with conviction, you don't need to worry.

So, I'll look forward to your next Topic mate :yes: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've been to lots of 'underplayed' nights over the years, and I've also been to lots of oldies nights to counter balance the argument. The simple thing is that most people don't want educating, they want to go out and enjoy themselves. The other simple thing is that records remained underplayed in the old days because they weren't up to scratch, doesn't matter if they float one person's boat, it's whether or not they appeal to the masses. Play to your crowd, book DJs who follow the venue ethic and that will generate some success.

If you've got vests and bags at the venue, then the music required pretty much chooses itself......doesn't it?

Winnie :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!