Have You Shaped The Scene?

Guest enchantedrythm

Guest enchantedrythm

a question that must come to the minds of those who think their input is signifficant. are you so aware of yourself, or indeed so full of your own good work, that you can answer such a question.

have your finds in the rare soul field changed,or added to, the rare soul scene. have your views changed the way the scene is today?

do you need your new records to be liked?

is your taste the same as the majority?

its hard to contemplate.

can you blow your own trumpet??

if not, who within your close network could you reccomend for changing the way we listen and appreiciate our music?

If not then who shapes the scene-dancers-record buyers-price of records-full attendandances.

isnt it you????

who owns my scene?

Social source share

I used to ask the dj's at clubs I went to in St. Helens and further afield for records I liked and they played them. People danced and they started playing more of the same kind of mid tempo crossover tracks instead of wall to wall oldies. Crossover nights started springing up everywhere. Many DJ's were privately into the same kind of music but would play what the vocal majority wanted to hear-namely records they already knew-oldies. Because people like me wanted something different and would actually dance to their requests is normally all a dj needs to experiment more.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

a question that must come to the minds of those who think their input is signifficant. are you so aware of yourself, or indeed so full of your own good work, that you can answer such a question.

have your finds in the rare soul field changed,or added to, the rare soul scene. have your views changed the way the scene is today?

do you need your new records to be liked?

is your taste the same as the majority?

its hard to contemplate.

can you blow your own trumpet??

if not, who within your close network could you reccomend for changing the way we listen and appreiciate our music?

If not then who shapes the scene-dancers-record buyers-price of records-full attendandances.

isnt it you????

who owns my scene?

No. Probably not. Yes, by me. Yes. No. No one in particular. All of them. Maybe. Us. Everyone who has travelled to a venue has made a contribution and 'shaped' the scene. Credit is due to the DJ's like Roger Eagle, Russ 'n Richard etc for moving the scene forward. Plenty of characters have brought lost and forgotten sounds to the publics' ears but most are too modest to claim any glory - come out of hiding Simon, all is forgiven...
Social source share

I hope this is relevant to your questions, no answers but my opinion.I had a discussion with a local Dj last Saturday night that touches on one of the questions you ask.We were talking about how certain tunes get broken, not the obscure but but what would have been considered just Soul records back in the day, I think this has been touched on on another thread but please bear with me, we were talking about sounds like Marvin Gaye Come Get to This, Hold Back the Night which seems to be getting some plays, I noticed Len I think it was on here saying he had played something by Chic.My mate the Dj said he had played a certain tune six months previous with dance floor clearing properties only for a guesting bigger named Dj to play the very same tune two months later and it filled the floor, same venue, basically same reguilar crowd, why the difference?

I'm not a Dj ,never have been never will be but I am aware it must take a fair amount of knowledge and skill to read a room and put a set list together, I have recently seen a relativley quiet room lifted by the Dj playing the right tune at the right time.I think the scene is the sum of its constituent parts, we all have a part to play, I  can have a great night without dancing as long as the music is good, many times in the past I have spoked to Dj's after their set to apologise for not dancing but to stress I thought they played a good un', I've always thought a little appreciation goes a long way . Got lost in my thoughts now and the funny farm beckons, a walk in the dark and pissing rain should clear my head until the berer kicks in tonight, hope this had a semblance of relevance.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition! :wink:

Seriously, though, good questions...

Nick

Hi Nick,

I remember Dawn playing Linda and the Vistas for me at Scenesville, I love the record, hadn't heard it played before, and never heard it played out since. Not saying you're a scene changer, you're far too modest for that, but the venue with it's music policy, along with the Dome was IMO  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Biggest 'scene' changer ever.....

...The Internet.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Regards,

Dave

Hurrah!!!! at last!! well said Dave. All those years of sitting listening to you peers in record bars, and gaining invaluable knowledge/ Out the window with a click of a button. An underground scene, blasted into the mainstream. Armchair record collectors getting there fix by, instead of travelling to events and trawling through record bars, clicking a button. Then having a well earned cigarette. On the other hand as with everything there is a dark side, nobody ever speaks to anyone to there face anymore/ :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I would really like to think, that in some small way, my Uptown Down South Soul Nights & Allnighters made a small difference, along with such fantastic venues as Albrighton, we had very similar music policies, in that everything was acceptable on one dancefloor in the same room & usually within the same set, no one was on a crusade, in fact we were very naïve, but for what ever reason, right time, right place maybe, it worked. 

Best Russ

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Predominantly, the sheep shape the so called the scene, a lot of folk pissed off with it all, with their own minds and good taste have naffed off to congregate at places frequented by like minded soul fans who don,t need telling what is and what isn,t a good soul record

Kev (sorry if its a bit abrupt but I am on nights and pissed off)

The sheep shape the northern soul scene,that,ll be pear!! lol.................not the scene

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Dude, in Monterey, California, i AM the scene!

ha ha ha. and we thought you were dead at the hands of some disgruntled business partner-

£62 still owed by the way

and yes you are a large part, but dont get too popular with yourself, vanity was always your least alluring virtue

Social source share

I think the scene is the sum of its constituent parts, we all have a part to play,  

.......so do I

.......big name DJ's shape the scene, what's hot, what's not...

.......local DJ's shape the scene, what they've got, or what the locals want...

.......big name promoters shape the scene, influx of newbies or cutting edge/underground...

.......local promoters shape the scene, fragmenting attendances at bigger events or providing an alternative more accessible option...

......punters shape the scene, bums on seats and atmosphere.....

......dancers and collectors usually fall into one or more of the above groups but I feel that those two activities define the essence of and underpin the scene. 

Just my opinion obviously............but I do think that all facets of the scene are inter-dependant.

and to answer the question subjectively....no I don't think that I have personally shaped the scene other than in supporting promoters and DJ's at the events that I go to. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

ha ha ha. and we thought you were dead at the hands of some disgruntled business partner-

£62 still owed by the way

and yes you are a large part, but dont get too popular with yourself, vanity was always your least alluring virtue

what? you may have me mistaken with someone else? my name is Leo... do you know me?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bit of a complicated question I must say. An honest answer from me - I did my best to bring the music I heard when travelling to my local area, and believe that has changed some local peoples attitudes in a positive way - I was lucky to have bought almost every D.J that I respect / enjoy to sunny Wellingborough at a time when the scene (to me) was really special.

But 'as a whole' there are loads of things that shape the scene (both in a good way, and a bad way)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - My taste isn't the same as the majority, it is influenced by my own history, which matches others of course.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Hurrah!!!! at last!! well said Dave. All those years of sitting listening to you peers in record bars, and gaining invaluable knowledge/ Out the window with a click of a button. An underground scene, blasted into the mainstream. Armchair record collectors getting there fix by, instead of travelling to events and trawling through record bars, clicking a button. Then having a well earned cigarette. On the other hand as with everything there is a dark side, nobody ever speaks to anyone to there face anymore/ :thumbsup:

I don't smoke...................

• Helpful 1
Social source share

over the last 10 years fpr me its questionable if any dj has really shaped the scene, records have by and large stopped crossing over into the mainstream. there have been influencial dj's, carl heard's name is notable but the real influence comes from the promoters with the ever growing insidious creep of commerciality.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm a punter...Rotherham, Bradford, Morecombe, Leicester and Stafford... of course I have,,, along with all my fellow soulies in the day!

Just no trumpets (or egos) to blow...we just all came together as punters on the scene and made it happen!

Edited by soulechoes
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest costablancasoul

If you went somewhere  you helped making it happen. Doesn´t matter when, maybe where. Just being there and buying the music did it.  DJ´s may have the toons but they would have been nowhere without the dedicated Soul lovers. Amen.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!