Hamilton Movement "she's Gone"

Jim G

I know we all branch off with different tastes, but i find it mind boggling that people on a soul forum could call this record crap.

I thought it would be one of the undisputables. Forget northern soul and all the sub-genres, forget soul even....

just as a piece of music, a piece of pop music even, it's just a masterpiece isn't it?

A  masterpiece ,you must be joking ,its a very average ordinary record ,if it wasn't rare I wouldn't even give you a fiver for it 

Bazza 

Social source share

Well how can you say half the records played at Wigan were crap if you didn't go?  How do you know they were played there?  By all means say a record is crap but don't try and tarnish it with the old Wigan brush.  Do you want me to go to a venue where this Hamilton Movement is playing just so I can come home and say, yep, still crap?

Maybe as many good as bad was off the mark but from what I do know are Wigan records, there is many that are extremely poor, many that haven't stood the test of time BUT I could say that about other eras as well.  Younonly have to look at the vast number of records played in the past and how many most DJ's rely on to satisfy the dancers, a small percentage when analysed.  The point I was trying to make is when you are attempting to be ground breaking dross is going to get played, Mecca, Wigan, Cleethorpes, Stafford and today.

The Hamilton Movement, well if I had a choice of some of the Wigan pop or records like the Hamilton Movement I know which I would choose.

Social source share

In short ,a soul record should sound like its sung from the heart , convincing ,to the level that you feel the emotion !

But that aside ,if your judging from the perspective of a "northern soul " pundit and all you care about is ,has this record got the beats and the breaks for someone to spin ,kick and do a back drop ala Wigan era ,then the answer is no !

But I seriously think if you can say this record is utter tosh ,your not into soul music but on a dance scene ?

Each to their own and free to choose ,but don't compare things that have no relevance.

Your either a soul fan or a northern soul fan ..this is a soul record that actually emptied floors when it first got introduced ,but now has em jumping out of their seats at venues ..big and small !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In short ,a soul record should sound like its sung from the heart , convincing ,to the level that you feel the emotion !

But that aside ,if your judging from the perspective of a "northern soul " pundit and all you care about is ,has this record got the beats and the breaks for someone to spin ,kick and do a back drop ala Wigan era ,then the answer is no !

But I seriously think if you can say this record is utter tosh ,your not into soul music but on a dance scene ?

Each to their own and free to choose ,but don't compare things that have no relevance.

Your either a soul fan or a northern soul fan ..this is a soul record that actually emptied floors when it first got introduced ,but now has em jumping out of their seats at venues ..big and small !

I agree Nev.  It is a personal thing.  As we have seen throughout time 'One mans Poison ...'  Many times you see a packed floor and wonder what the hell they see in a tune and Vise Versa.  Personally love the tune in or out of the Fraternity.  Choose your moment to play it and despite the subject of the Song a very feel good piece for me.

Social source share

Who says more have been found? Is that true, or is it based on the fact that a couple of people have decided to off load theirs and try and take advantage of the high demand for it.

"More have been found since the first copies surfaced" would have been better words.............. I know of 5 others in collections besides those mentioned, so I would expect a couple of those to also cash in also. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know we all branch off with different tastes, but i find it mind boggling that people on a soul forum could call this record crap.

I thought it would be one of the undisputables. Forget northern soul and all the sub-genres, forget soul even....

just as a piece of music, a piece of pop music even, it's just a masterpiece isn't it?

I respect your opinion but find it totally forgettable.  I have no idea how it goes despite listening to it yesterday apart from a corny spoken intro.

Social source share

I respect your opinion but find it totally forgettable.  I have no idea how it goes despite listening to it yesterday apart from a corny spoken intro.

It's a bit like Joseph Webster sounds brilliant in a club, not quite as good on the home speakers tho. I do like the Hamilton Movement, it's been massive on the rare soul scene for decades. As Mark says the 90s when it started….I guess we're now getting the swill / second wave from the n.s. scene who caught onto it a few years ago.

Social source share

I would say it's grown on me slightly since first hearing it (Yarmouth?) many years ago, but I still don'tt quite get the fuss......and probably go along with the "if it wasn't rare....." statement.

And it's ironic that this is used as an example to define a soul fan from a NS fan, because I'm very definitely the former but if I posted an example those on here who say they're soul fans would almost certainly disagree with my choice!! All things are relative and some on here only think it's soul if it's pre 1980 or if it's new, sounds old! .

It's a bit of a mess of a record with a memorable intro and hook......

Cheers,

Mark R

Butch found it in the early 90's but it was a few years later when Butch let Keb have it.  It would be early 2000, around the time Lifeline was starting when the box of 20 odd were found and it hit the Northern/Rare Soul scene big style.  Most of the copies went to DJ's or collectors who were DJing.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Really interesting to come on and read that Pete, because having posted earlier I was reflecting on this, and whilst I now can't get the hook out of my head, I couldn't sing the verses in my head......haven't a clue, which probably says it all for me!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I also like the bit about being happy to come on hear and say it's ordinary at best!!  Like I'm supposed to be concerned about my opinion agreeing with others? Not this man! LOL

Cheers,

Mark R

AH I see.  Hadn't seen your earlier posts.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Maybe as many good as bad was off the mark but from what I do know are Wigan records, there is many that are extremely poor, many that haven't stood the test of time BUT I could say that about other eras as well.  Younonly have to look at the vast number of records played in the past and how many most DJ's rely on to satisfy the dancers, a small percentage when analysed.  The point I was trying to make is when you are attempting to be ground breaking dross is going to get played, Mecca, Wigan, Cleethorpes, Stafford and today.

The Hamilton Movement, well if I had a choice of some of the Wigan pop or records like the Hamilton Movement I know which I would choose.

I understand that Chalky and I know some terrible records were played, but to say half of the output was crap just isn't right.  5% maybe.

Social source share

Who is saying anything about Northern records having to be fast and have breaks?  You.  Some of my favourite ever Northern records, Sherlock Holmes - Standing at a standstill, Natural Four, Joe Douglas etc - love to see people doing stupid acrobatics to those...'soul music' like Hamilton Movement leaves me stone cold, but so what, why should you worry about what I and other people like and don't like and come on here and spout off about it as if you're the Lord Of The Dance  :lol:

just leave people alone because your opinion means absolutely f*ck all to anyone except yourself.

It's really annoying when certain people come on here and define soul by their own terms and if other people don't agree with it they are somehow inferior or 'dinosaurs' or whatever.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah so am I  :sleep3:

just leave people alone because your opinion means absolutely f*ck all to anyone except yourself.
It's really annoying when certain people come on here and define soul by their own terms and if other people don't agree with it they are somehow inferior or 'dinosaurs' or whatever.
:wicked:
Social source share

:wicked:

Yeah it's relevant to your comment isn't it, you telling people you're not stuck in a time warp (and therefore above all others), well fucking bully for you Bearsy, well done, I bow down to your superior taste in music.

Social source share

Butch found it in the early 90's but it was a few years later when Butch let Keb have it.  It would be early 2000, around the time Lifeline was starting when the box of 20 odd were found and it hit the Northern/Rare Soul scene big style.  Most of the copies went to DJ's or collectors who were DJing.

Butch offered me one at one of the early Fleetwood weekenders that Richard and Kev ran - about the same time give or take a year that Pottsy turned up with 4 Gwen Owens on the Saturday. Not sure when it was exactly. I am sure it was late 90s but memory might be playing tricks on me.

Social source share

Butch offered me one at one of the early Fleetwood weekenders that Richard and Kev ran - about the same time give or take a year that Pottsy turned up with 4 Gwen Owens on the Saturday. Not sure when it was exactly. I am sure it was late 90s but memory might be playing tricks on me.

It was definitely around before the 25 give or take the odd one turned up early 2000, I'd go for later 90's when hearing it out and about.  Didn't hear Keb too much when he was into his Deep Funk.  Keb was as far as I am aware the first to make anything of the record.

Social source share

Yeah it's relevant to your comment isn't it, you telling people you're not stuck in a time warp (and therefore above all others), well fucking bully for you Bearsy, well done, I bow down to your superior taste in music.

Toungue in cheek ffs Pete.  Your turning into a right miserable fooking bully yourself and you keep putting words in you think suit you to twist things round and no I don't think I'm above all others (unlike you ).  See we can all do that  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Toungue in cheek ffs Pete.  Your turning into a right miserable fooking bully yourself and you keep putting words in you think suit you to twist things round and no I don't think I'm above all others (unlike you ).  See we can all do that  :hatsoff2:

Round of applause.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The so called rare soul scene as some wish to differentiate it from others has given the scene some absolutely brilliant records from many DJ's.  Many have gone on years later to become scene classics when the so called oldies brigade wake up to them......and some of those DJ's actually have the nerve to take the credit as well.  Some proper turkeys have been played as well, I will be the first to admit that but that is the same for any other era on this scene.  You only have to listen to some of the tripe Wigan gave us.  As many bad as good came out of the place.  Funny when you break the oldies scene down from almost 20 years of so called great records just 200 or so are played to death every week at the vast majority of venues, a sad reflection of over 40 years of the greatest music on this earth.

joey delorenzo  and joe jamma  being two that spring to mind

Social source share

It's a bit like Joseph Webster sounds brilliant in a club, not quite as good on the home speakers tho. I do like the Hamilton Movement, it's been massive on the rare soul scene for decades. As Mark says the 90s when it started….I guess we're now getting the swill / second wave from the n.s. scene who caught onto it a few years ago.

What a load of tosh !

Second wave ?you've got more records in your collection that are no where near as good , you made the wrong judgement and bought King Moses for a lot more than this will ever sell for and is poor in comparison !

If the "rare " scene is moving at a pace that we are ridiculed for playing quality soul ,we are truly victims of our own game :(

I listen and I get up and dance ,but if its just about playing things that are current ,or butch's /soul Sam's latest spin ,its time to go home !

Quality ,timing and the right balance to appease both dancer and chin stroker is and always should be the key!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

See nothings changes in 5 decades, cover ups, play it cos it's rare blah blah etc. etc. etc.

this is a record I like, If it was a £50 record it wouldn't get played out as there are better records of the same value out there. So rarity trumps quality , same old story . But to each their own.

just played it YouTube and Southside Movement for comparison to her indoors, Southside Movement was much preferred.....

Edited by jim g
Social source share

See nothings changes in 5 decades, cover ups, play it cos it's rare blah blah etc. etc. etc.

this is a record I like, If it was a £50 record it wouldn't get played out as there are better records of the same value out there. So rarity trumps quality , same old story . But to each their own.

just played it YouTube and Southside Movement for comparison to her indoors, Southside Movement was much preferred.....

you probably got me there jim...southside movement for me too...still i would buy hamilton movement if it were cheap enough

Social source share

What a load of tosh !

Second wave ?you've got more records in your collection that are no where near as good , you made the wrong judgement and bought King Moses for a lot more than this will ever sell for and is poor in comparison !

If the "rare " scene is moving at a pace that we are ridiculed for playing quality soul ,we are truly victims of our own game :(

I listen and I get up and dance ,but if its just about playing things that are current ,or butch's /soul Sam's latest spin ,its time to go home !

Quality ,timing and the right balance to appease both dancer and chin stroker is and always should be the key!

oooh you do get angry sometimes :lol:

Social source share

I think the Hamilton movement s a brill record, and all their others on the label which are a lot cheaper... Maria O used to spin this in Oz on her Radio show and about town, it was a big thing back then, would be 2003/4/5.

Great track, but at that price, Id have to plum to spend my money on other wants personally, alternatively Id like to go to the states and find one..!! maybe  :g:  appreciated the scan for my I-Tunes, now I can listen in a right visual paradise..!!

Malcolm

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

What a load of tosh !

What has King Moses got to do with it? I bought that a few years ago about 2006, have bought loads of records before and after that as you well know.

I have been to enough clubs over the last 15 years to know that Hamilton Movement has been played to death at this point. It may still work on the dance floor but so does Eddie Parker at a northern venue…..HM has caught on with the northern scene, but for the more foreward thinking time to pack it away and move on - you are a self confessed hot boxer….you should know that. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What has King Moses got to do with it? I bought that a few years ago about 2006, have bought loads of records before and after that as you well know.

I have been to enough clubs over the last 15 years to know that Hamilton Movement has been played to death at this point. It may still work on the dance floor but so does Eddie Parker at a northern venue…..HM has caught on with the northern scene, but for the more foreward thinking time to pack it away and move on - you are a self confessed hot boxer….you should know that.

Apologies Steve.. Tosh was a bit strong, I should have said poppycock :)

P.s I thought a hotboxer just bought and played good indemand records,not total fresh, unknowns?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a good record isn't it; I'd want it to be more than that though if I was parting with that kinda dosh

Steve, sell Eddie Parker to Andy Dennison; it'd put you both out of your misery lol

Yes please Phil, if Steve could help with Eddie Parker I'd be a very happy guy :-)

Really like the Hamilton movement just thought I'd add that :-)

Edited by Dennisoul
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!