Unexpected Find

Guest northernsoul62

I have written about this one before, but one of the best finds for me was around ten or 15 years ago at a car boot fair that used to be held in the multi storey car park in Peckham.

There was a small boxes of uk 45s there. From this I picked up Jimmy Radcliffe 'Long After...' on Stateside and Timi Yuro It Will Never...' on Liberty. I left a copy of 'Hurt' in the box. 50p each.

Social source share

On a trip to Philly to visit my brother in the late 80s went to New York for the day and stumbled into a vinyl shop. Was disappointed to see that they had no 45s only LPs, but decided to have a quick look anyway, hoping to find some LP only items. The only thing I came across was a plain white sleeve with Thelma Houston - Ride to The Rainbow written on it. The price was $1. Decided I'd buy it for the Saturday Night, Sunday Morning track even though it had no cover. Pulled the disc out to check it and realised instantly it was the wrong record as it was on the Mercury label. Closer look - Alfie Davison - Serious Business 12". Happy days.

Swapped it a few years later with Manship for the Arcades on Triad. Still not sure if that was a good deal...

Social source share

When I was in Florida with the Navy in 78, I got a load of LPs from the Local woolies. 3 for 2 dollars. Detroit Sound(Jumping At The Go Go), Bobby Bland Greatest hits, a couple of Impressions, Debbie Taylor No Deposit No Return, and  Facts Of Life with good version of 100 Pounds Of Pain.

Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember a little second hand record shop round the corner from Sid Scarborough's in Hull opened up briefly early in 86 - they had six mint white demos of 'Bricks, Broken Bottles and Sticks' at £1.50 each - I detested it, so despite it already being popular and rapidly rising in value, I chose not to buy any (even to sell - didn't want to encourage people's interest in this drivel).

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Wandering thru our local antique market one day last year, saw a box of about 30 45's. Like many of us I couldnt resist a look and amongst all the 80's picture sleeves was a black UK Chess cover. Sure to be the Dells "rainbow" I thought...........but no ......... a stone mint Gospel classics more of your love ..wow  and only 50p.

Also on the same stall amongst the many Mantovani LPs was a mint copy of the Disco Strings of cloud 9 LP. An album from my youth club days, not seen a copy for 40 years.

Dave Banks

Social source share

About 10 - 15 years ago went to a school car boot and noticed a 7 inch brown bag on the floor under a stall .Picked it up and on opening , 2  records in there : Liberty Belles " Shing a ling time " on Shout ,and The Earls " It's been a long time coming " on ABC .Not the rarest records ever , but a nice find all the same, about 10p each .Also , in the late 80's ,went to an antique shop looking for a Victorian fire place .In the corner were some records ,including Barbara Lewis - Don't forget about me UK Atlantic yellow demo ,Four Tops - Don't bring back memories ,and a King Floyd test pressing album .

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I volunteer for Age UK and was sorting the vinyl donations on Friday when I found 2 decent 45's - Geno Washington - I've Been Hurt By Love and Pink Floyd's - Arnold Layne. Priced the Geno Washington at £14.99 and advertised it on the local NS Facebook page. A wise soul had been in today and bought it. Wouldn't mind the Pink Floyd 45 myself but it's too pricey for me! Makes a change from endless Jim Reeves albums  :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!