New Soul Series On Bbc4 Starting 2nd Feb

Guest Bernadette

Sounds like the series is worth seeing. I must get a TV.

Shame Robert ("I was there ! Honest ! Me me me!") Elms is involved but his inclusion is just lack of imagination on the programme makers part.....or has he got more involvement than just a hired talking head? Can't blame him for taking the money if the idiots keep offering it (bit like Johnny Vaughn). Ian Levine gets more later in the series I think.

Am I the only one who can't bear the sound of Georgie Fame's voice tho? He has that same James Ingram/Micheal Mc Donald/ Anita Baker sound of singing in the back of the throat with a mouth full of marbles.

Social source share

• Replies 127
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest vinylvixen

Am I the only one who can't bear the sound of Georgie Fame's voice tho? He has that same James Ingram/Micheal Mc Donald/ Anita Baker sound of singing in the back of the throat with a mouth full of marbles.

I've got a spare TV, Simon...and it works :shades: I love Georgie's vocals - listen to some Mose Allison of 'I love the life I live', 'Parchament Farm' etc...I think Georgie was trying to get as close to Mose delivery style as possible. Taking into account that none of the artists you mention come from Leigh in Lancashire, I think Mr Fame did well combining his quite pronounced Lancashire accent with a hint of Mose to turn out a strange Transatlantic twang .... :wicked: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

With you on that Simon.

One of the best gigs I have been to was Van Morrison at the Bournemouth International Centre.

Georgie Fame was playing as support, and in the backing band.

During EVERY single flaming instrumental break, Georgie screamed "Van the Man, Van the Man".

I got so frustrated when there was a quiet enough break I shouted at the top of my voice "Oi Georgie, when Van's singing SHUT THE #### UP!"

I got a standing ovation.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Geoff, any series producer of 6Ts London worth their salt should interview you :thumbsup: You were there back in the day; you went to the clubs; you went to gigs and you still have the photos to prove it...PLUS - you still have all your marbles :P Even a tiny personal glimpse into an era that I wasn't old enough to participate in is brilliant. When you recount your jaunts to me Geoff, it's genius....there's always YouTube wink.gif And whilst I'm in my interviewing mood, I'd have Tony Rounce coz he's super :wicked: Jo

I'm in a very agreeable mood this fine morn.

I have spent many a happy hour in the company of Geoff. The stories and enthusiam IMO would absolutely come across in a media interview, and would be compelling viewing for anyone who has ever stayed to the last record of a niter as the sun is shining through the drapes. :shades:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I'm in a very agreeable mood this fine morn.

I have spent many a happy hour in the company of Geoff. The stories and enthusiam IMO would absolutely come across in a media interview, and would be compelling viewing for anyone who has ever stayed to the last record of a niter as the sun is shining through the drapes. :shades:

Geoff with Alan H

post-1898-1170505097_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

And whilst I'm in my interviewing mood, I'd have Tony Rounce coz he's super :shades: Jo

...Women from mid-Kent have always been my Kryptonite :thumbsup:

Bless you for being a sweetie. If there was a kiss-blowing emoticon on here, I'd send you a thousand :D

Social source share

...Women from mid-Kent have always been my Kryptonite :shades:

Bless you for being a sweetie. If there was a kiss-blowing emoticon on here, I'd send you a thousand :D

Oh, get a room you two.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

...Women from mid-Kent have always been my Kryptonite :shades:

Tony, I'm waiting for the day when your memoirs are published....or at least serialised on Soul Source....with photos :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Shame Robert ("I was there ! Honest ! Me me me!") Elms is involved but his inclusion is just lack of imagination on the programme makers part.....or has he got more involvement than just a hired talking head? Can't blame him for taking the money if the idiots keep offering it (bit like Johnny Vaughn). Ian Levine gets more later in the series I think.

Agreed on Elms - the man's a menace on these kinda TV shows - limited vision on the Producer's part there, so may more worthy contenders for that slot (Bob Jones??? Where art thou)

Good programme tho - anybody else spot Andy Whitmore outside the 80s venue in the closing credits with a rabid mullet hair-do...still had his moustache tho - has he still got it now? Oi! Andy! U on here mate...

MRez

Social source share

Go to say I really enjoyed it....

and I'm glad its repeated on a Thursday cos me and the Mrs had a bit of a spat as she wanted to record ugly B at the same time as I wanted to record this.

Was the footage from Chasing Rainbows on there, folks queing up outside a 'do', think it was, I'm sure I saw a familiar face......

Social source share

Really enjoyed it myself :thumbsup: Only just touched on the Northern scene this episode & if you want to be picky the footage didn't quite tally up with the supposed period & place at times, but good television whatever.

There was one snippit of Gino Washington, singing 'Michael', i thought it sounded quite a good version ! I'd like to hear that in it's entirety.

Social source share

Really enjoyed it myself :D Only just touched on the Northern scene this episode & if you want to be picky the footage didn't quite tally up with the supposed period & place at times, but good television whatever.

There was one snippit of Gino Washington, singing 'Michael', i thought it sounded quite a good version ! I'd like to hear that in it's entirety.

Not as bad as it could have been - some nice footage, but also some very lazy visual research. I expect more than stuff scanned/rostrumed straight out of books (the Terry Rawlings "Mod - A very British Phenomenon" for instance) Obviously having Elms pontificating about trouser circumference or other such twaddle ruins any programme, but hey, you can't have everything.

Personally, although it was interesting to hear millionaire musicians talk about how they ripped off were influenced by Black musicians, I would have liked to have heard more from ordinary folk.

All in all very watchable.

Social source share

Not as bad as it could have been - some nice footage, but also some very lazy visual research. I expect more than stuff scanned/rostrumed straight out of books (the Terry Rawlings "Mod - A very British Phenomenon" for instance) Obviously having Elms pontificating about trouser circumference or other such twaddle ruins any programme, but hey, you can't have everything.

Personally, although it was interesting to hear millionaire musicians talk about how they ripped off were influenced by Black musicians, I would have liked to have heard more from ordinary folk.

All in all very watchable.

Didn't really come across like that to me Sweeny, I think they were genuine in what they were saying in that they were just inspired by a whole different culture & recreated their own versions because the original stuff was just not very accessible over here.

& as the black artists interviewed said, they were much more revered & appreciated over here than in thier own country & felt good about that themselves, none of them said they felt they were ripped off.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

it was interesting to hear millionaire musicians talk about how they ripped off were influenced by Black musicians,

Presume you mean Hucknall - who surely owes more of a debt, vocally, to Noddy Holder than to, say, Solomon Burke? :thumbsup:

TONE

PS: Probably time you got a round in - judging by the tone of your posting your glass is half empty again :D

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Didn't really come across like that to me Sweeny, I think they were genuine in what they were saying in that they were just inspired by a whole different culture & recreated their own versions because the original stuff was just not very accessible over here.

& as the black artists interviewed said, they were much more revered & appreciated over here than in thier own country & felt good about that themselves, none of them said they felt they were ripped off.

Yes possibly I was being overly cynical - the musicians they interviewed seemed a pretty sincere bunch as it happens. Still no excuse for unleashing Elms though. :D

Social source share

was thinking that myself :D ......was it released on 45?

Just had a look on JM's & it appears to have been, on a demo at least.

Had a look on Allmusic too, the sound clip on there sounds equally as good & i think it appears on a few albums, this one included ;

Hand Clappin' Foot Stompin' Funky-Butt...Live!

Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band

p.s.

Sorry for the wrong spelling, Geno not Gino the 'Northern' Artist

Social source share

Mick Hucknall was in it too? Oh my dear God...if I do get to see it, it's going to have to be an edited version then.

Simon, the fact Kevin Rolands (Michael Jackson in reverse) appears is a more frightening proposition if you want to go down that road, at least Mick did some decent pop tunes :D

Social source share

It did come out on 45 and was a small hit and even got into the charts in 1967. This is off a rather scratched album.geno_washington_Michael.mp3

I do like this version.

Have not got the hang of the refosoul thing yet.

Paul

I'll tell you what Paul, the more i hear it the more i like it :D , prefer it to the C.O.D.s version that i have. It's got a nice bouncy feel to it, like the mid tempo tunes that are popular today.

Who'd have thought it from Geno, he was never really popular in the Northern circles, more of a harder mod sound.

Social source share

I thought this was an excellent well produced programme , though as mentioned some of the footage didn't tally ,Twisted Wheel followed by Wigan record bar , for instance . To myself and many others I presume , singers like Eric Burdon etc will always be just pop / rock stars ,completely devoid of any " Soul " whatsoever .Hope singers like Gino Washington and Jimmy James get their fair share of props in future weeks , as they really have flown the flag for the UK scene for years .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Simon, the fact Kevin Rolands (Michael Jackson in reverse) appears is a more frightening proposition if you want to go down that road, at least Mick did some decent pop tunes :thumbsup:

So did Kevin Rowland, the first Dexy's LP is one of the landmark albums of the past 30 years - in all genres of music :unsure:

Pity it all went tits up when he decided he was going to become a fake celt instead of a fake soul rebel...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Tony, I'm waiting for the day when your memoirs are published....or at least serialised on Soul Source....with photos :thumbsup: Jo

Put me down for a copy ..... a signed hardback one please .

Malc Burton

Social source share

So did Kevin Rowland, the first Dexy's LP is one of the landmark albums of the past 30 years - in all genres of music :thumbsup:

Pity it all went tits up when he decide he was going to become a fake celt instead of a fake soul rebel...

TONE

I love the fact that artists like Kevin Rowland exist. Never predictable and certainly always controversial. Guaranteed to polarise opinion. I'm a massive Dexy's fan and personally believe that the three studio albums they did are among the finest of their period, if not the finest pop albums ever made. They were sensational live - I think their Old Vic shows in 1981 were the best live gigs I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure about the man-dress period though...

Social source share

I love the fact that artists like Kevin Rowland exist. Never predictable and certainly always controversial. Guaranteed to polarise opinion. I'm a massive Dexy's fan and personally believe that the three studio albums they did are among the finest of their period, if not the finest pop albums ever made. They were sensational live - I think their Old Vic shows in 1981 were the best live gigs I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure about the man-dress period though...

Top Man , KR .....

But am I alone thinking he is turning into Dad's Army's Private Walker ( the late James Beck ) ?

If unsure , the picture on the right is KR ....

Malc Burton

post-5097-1170591759.jpg

post-5097-1170591770.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I thought this was an excellent well produced programme , though as mentioned some of the footage didn't tally ,Twisted Wheel followed by Wigan record bar , for instance . To myself and many others I presume , singers like Eric Burdon etc will always be just pop / rock stars ,completely devoid of any " Soul " whatsoever .Hope singers like Gino Washington and Jimmy James get their fair share of props in future weeks , as they really have flown the flag for the UK scene for years .Best ,Eddie

Eddie, I'd interview you and the Banbury posse if I had a tv show...plus you've got the photos as well :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Simon, the fact Kevin Rolands (Michael Jackson in reverse) appears is a more frightening proposition if you want to go down that road, at least Mick did some decent pop tunes :thumbsup:

Bouge, the prospect of seeing this programme is turning into a living nightmare vision of hell. I can't even type the words 'Kveein Rlooansd" because my fingers won't let me.

See ?

I saw him in the street about a year ago from the top of a bus. He was dressed as a character from a 1927 Laurel and Hardy movie.

Have they interviewed any one from the 70's UK Soul/ Jazz funk scene yet, or is that to come?

David Nathan maybe? Has anyone involved in Blues and Soul or Contempo been seen yet?

Hmmmmm.... I'm going off this idea in the same way I'm going off spending time seeing the 'Dreamgirls' movie

Social source share

So did Kevin Rowland, the first Dexy's LP is one of the landmark albums of the past 30 years - in all genres of music :ohmy:

Pity it all went tits up when he decide he was going to become a fake celt instead of a fake soul rebel...

TONE

:huh: Tony you shock me !, from your posts on here i had you down as a man with impecable taste !

His voice reminds me of a ventrilaquist singing whilst drinking a pint !! At least old Mick could belt em out !, especially in the early years of Simply Red.

Got to say though i enjoyed the Young Soul Rebels album to an extent when it first came out, made a change from all the Two Tone stuff that was getting a bit stale at the time.

Social source share

Top Man , KR .....

But am I alone thinking he is turning into Dad's Army's Private Walker ( the late James Beck ) ?

Malc Burton

Could be worse i suppose Malc, when i look in the mirror i'm starting to look more like Captain Mainwaring :huh:

Stupid boy Pike !!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thought it was rather good myself. Good to see footage of Gino, Temps etc. Thought Eric Burdon came across rather well, even if some think he is "devoid of soul".

Eric was excellent, especially when he was talking about walking along by the docks in Newcastle pretending he was in New Orleans. I'm sure that we've all done something similar in our lifetimes - not necessarily in Newcastle and not necessarily N.O, but you know what I mean.

In his prime, Eric sang with a lot of soul, as anyone who's ever heard the Animals "Don't Bring Me Down", "It's My Life" or their version of Eddie and Ernie's "Outcast" will hopefully agree. The fantastic "They Can't Take Away Our Music" that he made with War and RCA heroine Sharon Scott is pretty gut-wrenching stuff, too :huh:

Given the choice of Eric or the mediocre Geno Washington I'd take the "White Man's Burdon" anyday. Geno did make a couple of good records, "Water" being especially good, but he wasn't really that much of a singer in his youth - he was just right for the time, as the saying goes...

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

I saw him in the street about a year ago from the top of a bus. He was dressed as a character from a 1927 Laurel and Hardy movie.

Edited by Karen Heath
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Top Man , KR .....

Malc Burton

Snap!!!

I thought the same thing!

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

So did Kevin Rowland, the first Dexy's LP is one of the landmark albums of the past 30 years - in all genres of music :ohmy:

Pity it all went tits up when he decided he was going to become a fake celt instead of a fake soul rebel...

TONE

Give me Kevin Rowland over Mick Hucknall any day of the week. A true eccentric as opposed to egocentric! :huh:

Social source share

Eric was excellent, especially when he was talking about walking along by the docks in Newcastle pretending he was in New Orleans. I'm sure that we've all done something similar in our lifetimes - not necessarily in Newcastle and not necessarily N.O, but you know what I mean.

In his prime, Eric sang with a lot of soul, as anyone who's ever heard the Animals "Don't Bring Me Down", "It's My Life" or their version of Eddie and Ernie's "Outcast" will hopefully agree. The fantastic "They Can't Take Away Our Music" that he made with War and RCA heroine Sharon Scott is pretty gut-wrenching stuff, too :huh:

Given the choice of Eric or the mediocre Geno Washington I'd take the "White Man's Burdon" anyday. Geno did make a couple of good records, "Water" being especially good, but he wasn't really that much of a singer in his youth - he was just right for the time, as the saying goes...

TONE

I've seen Geno live several times Tone , and I've got to say he puts in a superb show every time , anything but mediocre in fact .Must admit I didn't know about the Sharon Scott link , was wondering what else she had done.Some of these singers like Eric Burdon may have good voices and dig the music , but compared to James Carr ,Otis , Sam and Dave etc , there's no comparison in my opinion .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Could be worse i suppose Malc, when i look in the mirror i'm starting to look more like Captain Mainwaring :huh:

Stupid boy Pike !!

If that's the case then , and with reference to the picture I posted earlier , that must be me in the middle of you and KR .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've seen Geno live several times Tone , and I've got to say he puts in a superb show every time , anything but mediocre in fact .Must admit I didn't know about the Sharon Scott link , was wondering what else she had done.Some of these singers like Eric Burdon may have good voices and dig the music , but compared to James Carr ,Otis , Sam and Dave etc , there's no comparison in my opinion .Best ,Eddie

...Nor in my opinion - and nor, I'm sure, in Eric's, my friend...

I've also seen Geno, 'then' and more recently, and yes, he does put on a show, always has done, and a good one at that.

However, as a singer - which was the point I was trying to make - he had a very limited range, and certainly not one that could have coped with the intensity of a "Dark End Of the Street", "Good To Me" or "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby". (Jimmy James, however, could have made a fair fist of any and probably all of those). I can't honestly imagine that Geno would have gotten very far in the soul stakes, if he'd decided to pursue his career in his native land rather than starting up over here. For a start he'd have had to change his name :ohmy:

That said, I've still got my copies of "She Shot A Hole In My Soul", "Bring It To Me Baby", "Michael" and "Water" and I'm very happy that I have...

...but I've also got a complete run of Animals 45s on Columbai and Decca and i prize most of those rather more :huh:

Best,

TONY

Social source share

...Nor in my opinion - and nor, I'm sure, in Eric's, my friend...

I've also seen Geno, 'then' and more recently, and yes, he does put on a show, always has done, and a good one at that.

However, as a singer - which was the point I was trying to make - he had a very limited range, and certainly not one that could have coped with the intensity of a "Dark End Of the Street", "Good To Me" or "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby". (Jimmy James, however, could have made a fair fist of any and probably all of those). I can't honestly imagine that Geno would have gotten very far in the soul stakes, if he'd decided to pursue his career in his native land rather than starting up over here. For a start he'd have had to change his name :ohmy:

That said, I've still got my copies of "She Shot A Hole In My Soul", "Bring It To Me Baby", "Michael" and "Water" and I'm very happy that I have...

...but I've also got a complete run of Animals 45s on Columbai and Decca and i prize most of those rather more :huh:

Best,

TONY

Some good points made there Tony ,what album is the War/ Sharon Scott collabaration on ?Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert