Has The Bubble Burst?

Guest Pedro

Has the bubble burst? Have the inflated egos finally realised? What has happened to the quality dance music (Circa 1996 - 2006) that used to be played in venues across the Northwest?

I remember packed dance floors and round of applauses for DJs. Nights where the music built, flowed, took you up then down, only to bring you straight back up finishing on a crescendo. The soul crowed shouting for more.

Tunes were played of all tempos from uplifting soul to quality funky house. When and indeed why did the DJs change their job description from providing the paying public with quality tunes to dance to and start courting the ear of the Promoter's music choice, which repeatedly fails to please their target audience!

NB Note to DJs, that's the audience in front of the decks, not behind it!

There was a time when guest DJs were a regular event and new DJs cutting their teeth were given their debut set, all adding to keeping the evening fresh and a pleasure to be at. Now, after checking three times and adding the sums up twice, I can confirm that the Northwest scene now has a massive rotating DJ line-up totalling 5, yes that's 5 people! Guest DJs? Gone! New talent? Gone!

NB Rotation system explained. Now try and keep up. Same 5 DJs at same venue, every weekend with same records, same sycophant loyalties and at best average set!

Why are some DJs afraid to play up-tempo / uplifting music? Are they more concerned with offending the promoter than the people on the dance floor? An example could be: You get high praise from the Promoter for your set, he loved your tunes, but the dance floor was empty. Have you forgotten the punters or do you just not care? What's next? Take the Promoter out for a meal then back to his place perhaps?

Dance floors are emptying; venues are closing down. Promoters only have themselves to blame! Its all about supply and demand. They are not supplying what the soul audience wants. Simple as.

What is needed is CHANGE and that can only start with communication.

For me, the question is whether the soul scene should change in line with the audience requirements. My answer would be very much in the affirmative.

Edited by rachel
Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bloody hell Pedro, for a first post it sure is a downer. Have you ever been to the Orwell in Wigan or do you keep going to the same places with the same 5 DJ's that you don't like? That could explain it 'cos I'm sure if you'd been to the Orwell and seen the dancefloor reaction to the cracking tunes that get played there you wouldn't be posting this.

Jordi

Social source share

a hello first would have been nice lol...or did you join just to get this off your chest????....i have no knowledge of the area you are talking about so i cant comment...but i must say most places these days cater for all tastes with most having 3 or in some cases 4 rooms...i was at soulfusion in glos a couple of weeks ago....bog standard oldies room loads of uptempo stuff...not my cuppa tea but hey ho....lovely modern room playin anything from jazz funk to soulful house to crossover....and an anything goes room...so the paying punter does have a choice.....if i dj i play what i want not what the promoter tells me to play and i play to the floor not my "over inflated ego "...maybe you should travel outside of your area....just a suggestion like.... whistling.gif

cookie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulgirlie

Has the bubble burst? Have the inflated egos finally realised? What has happened to the quality dance music (Circa 1996 - 2006) that used to be played in venues across the Northwest?

I remember packed dance floors and round of applauses for DJs. Nights where the music built, flowed, took you up then down, only to bring you straight back up finishing on a crescendo. The soul crowed shouting for more.

Tunes were played of all tempos from uplifting soul to quality funky house. When and indeed why did the DJs change their job description from providing the paying public with quality tunes to dance to and start courting the ear of the Promoter's music choice, which repeatedly fails to please their target audience!

NB Note to DJs, that's the audience in front of the decks, not behind it!

There was a time when guest DJs were a regular event and new DJs cutting their teeth were given their debut set, all adding to keeping the evening fresh and a pleasure to be at. Now, after checking three times and adding the sums up twice, I can confirm that the Northwest scene now has a massive rotating DJ line-up totalling 5, yes that's 5 people! Guest DJs? Gone! New talent? Gone!

NB Rotation system explained. Now try and keep up. Same 5 DJs at same venue, every weekend with same records, same sycophant loyalties and at best average set!

Why are some DJs afraid to play up-tempo / uplifting music? Are they more concerned with offending the promoter than the people on the dance floor? An example could be: You get high praise from the Promoter for your set, he loved your tunes, but the dance floor was empty. Have you forgotten the punters or do you just not care? What's next? Take the Promoter out for a meal then back to his place perhaps?

Dance floors are emptying; venues are closing down. Promoters only have themselves to blame! Its all about supply and demand. They are not supplying what the soul audience wants. Simple as.

What is needed is CHANGE and that can only start with communication.

For me, the question is whether the soul scene should change in line with the audience requirements. My answer would be very much in the affirmative.

Hi

Cue little me :-)))

Just to say there is life and a very vibrant monthly soul night outside of the North West and excellent it is too , you need to get yourself down to Soul Underground in the West Midlands ..wonderful atmospheric venue with a state of the art sound and lighting system ..we're in our 6th year ,have invited in excess of over 80 DJ's from all over the British Isles and beyond ..we play absolutely everything that we can cram into 7 soulful hours once a month from breathtaking slowies, through midtempo loveliness right the way to wonderful and inspiring soulful house ..there are no boundaries as long as its quality , basically all era / all tempo classic soul, contemporary r&b , jazzy grooves uplifting gospel gems and soulful house ( admittedly we don't do the funky house thing ..we leave that to the commercial clubs ) we also have a regular live percussionist who jams along the soulful house sets...the clientele comes from all over the UK and openly embrace the variety on offer , which means we have dj's queuing up to play for them ,the only difficulty we have is getting them to go home every month..maybe you should come a little bit further down the M6 , we'd make you ever so welcome shades.gif

Lin Taylor

Edited by soulgirlie
Social source share

OOps, sorry Pedro didn't notice that you were on about modern stuff. May be you should try the Midlands with Soul Underground and Mark Randal's and Fish's events there's plenty going on to cover your tastes, it's only an hour and a half away.

Jordi

Social source share

Hi

Cue little me :-)))

Just to say there is life and a very vibrant monthly soul night outside of the North West and excellent it is too , you need to get yourself down to Soul Underground in the West Midlands ..wonderful atmospheric venue with a state of the art sound and lighting system ..we're in our 6th year ,have invited in excess of over 80 DJ's from all over the British Isles and beyond ..we play absolutely everything that we can cram into 7 soulful hours once a month from breathtaking slowies, through midtempo loveliness right the way to wonderful and inspiring soulful house ..there are no boundaries as long as its quality , basically all era / all tempo classic soul, contemporary r&b , jazzy grooves uplifting gospel gems ( admittedly we don't do the funky house thing ..we leave that to the commercial clubs ) we also have a regular live percussionist who jams along the soulful house sets...the clientele comes from all over the UK and openly embrace the variety on offer , which means we have dj's queuing up to play for them ,the only difficulty we have is getting them to go home every month..maybe you should come a little bit further down the M6 , we'd make you ever so welcome shades.gif

Lin Taylor

Blimey Lin, I think we must have been posting at the same time.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest soulgirlie

Blimey Lin, I think we must have been posting at the same time.

Jordi

LOL ..I'm just a shamless little promoter aren't I wicked.gif

(Say hi to Glenis for me ..I've missed her :-((!!!)

Lin

x

Social source share

OOps, sorry Pedro didn't notice that you were on about modern stuff. May be you should try the Midlands with Soul Underground and Mark Randal's and Fish's events there's plenty going on to cover your tastes, it's only an hour and a half away.

Jordi

Ha ha... i was just about to press the 'add reply' button when i saw your post underneath.

Another case of ooopss... i hadn't seen that bit either biggrin.gif

Social source share

Not sure what venues you frequent but I witness that at most events I go to smile.gif

Mind you, I don't frequent the same venue month in month out - I travel a 350 mile 'fan radius' of where I live in order to sample the diverse northern soul culture that's out there :thumbsup:

I do tend to frequent venues where I know good dj's play though because I've no problem admitting I'm a groupie for the likes of Mick H, Mace (now), Dave Rimmer, Roccia, Vanessa from Bournemouth, Tim Smithers from Bournemouth, Jo, Dav.... oh, the list could go on!

However, with the announcement of DJ's I also know that there will be aquaintances I've met that will also attend which for me makes it a special evening as well. :wicked:

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

What planet would this be on? You should have gone to Junction 11 last saturday mate.

I also suggest you go to the Marrs Bar this Saturday and then post again. thumbsup.gif

NB: He's not talking about Northern? Ok, nevermind... :thumbsup:

Welcome to Soul Source.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Not sure what venues you frequent but I witness that at most events I go to :thumbsup:

Mind you, I don't frequent the same venue month in month out - I travel a 350 mile 'fan radius' of where I live in order to sample the diverse northern soul culture that's out there :wicked:

I do tend to frequent venues where I know good dj's play though because I've no problem admitting I'm a groupie for the likes of Mick H, Mace (now), Dave Rimmer, Roccia, Vanessa from Bournemouth, Tim Smithers from Bournemouth, Jo, Dav.... oh, the list could go on!

However, with the announcement of DJ's I also know that there will be aquaintances I've met that will also attend which for me makes it a special evening as well. :yes:

ta Girl.

by the way you don't want to have anything to do with that Mace fella, he can't hold his ale wicked.gif

Social source share

I think it would be interesting to learn what soul nights the thread starter attends. We might have a better understanding of where he comes from smile.gif If he only attends one soul night then he's his own worst enemy :thumbsup:

Social source share

ta Girl.

by the way you don't want to have anything to do with that Mace fella, he can't hold his ale wicked.gif

He could pour his ale all over my head for all I care if he's DJ'ing! cheerleadernana.gif

And you of course but I know you wouldn't waste your ale on me :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think it would be interesting to learn what soul nights the thread starter attends. We might have a better understanding of where he comes from smile.gif If he only attends one soul night then he's his own worst enemy :thumbsup:

Spent the last half hour trying to get electric back on after mate tripped it out with dodgy amp. So here is info you asked for.

The weekenders for modern are fantastic so exempt from my rant. The following are the venues I attend as and when I can.

Prestwich - A good social event with usual predictable music

Seductive soul - Spot on

Soul by the sea - Spot on

Family tree - Spot on

Winsford - Empty for months. Now closed for good

Lowton - modern finished here. Empty for months

Bury - Following same path as Lowton

Social source share

Spent the last half hour trying to get electric back on after mate tripped it out with dodgy amp. So here is info you asked for.

The weekenders for modern are fantastic so exempt from my rant. The following are the venues I attend as and when I can.

Seductive soul - Spot on

Family tree - Spot on

try and make it up to seaside soul if you can pedro

be nice to see you up here

glad youve big upped lytham and fleetwood in the north of the county!!

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Seductive soul - Spot on

Family tree - Spot on

Hang on a minute :thumbsup:

The weekenders for modern are fantastic so exempt from my rant

You're being rather pedantic with that :wicked: If you're attending soul nights that predominantly play up to 70's soul then you're going to be dissappointed. That's hardly a fair arguement that things are looking bad. If you're now a modern fan don't diss those that still love and approve of music you've moved on from smile.gif

Social source share

If you're now a modern fan don't diss those that still love and approve of music you've moved on from smile.gif

Are you reading a different thread???? Where's he dissing any soul fans, of any genre?????

Social source share

Although Im not a fan of the genre in question I can sympathise with what you're saying. I'd suggest you stick with the places you do like and visit some of the venues recommended outside your usual travelling area. I think avoid those places where you feel the modern room is just tagged onto a Northern do as I guess the promoter will be more interested in the main room and the number of punters through the door. Stick a modern room on and maybe get a few more in.

ROD

Social source share

Are you reading a different thread???? Where's he dissing any soul fans, of any genre?????

Pedro said....

The weekenders for modern are fantastic so exempt from my rant.
So from that I can assume that it's the non-modern stuff, ie, 60's that his beef is about :ohmy: So, I asked:
If you're now a modern fan don't diss those that still love and approve of music you've moved on from smile.gif
Social source share

Hang on a minute biggrin.gif

You're being rather pedantic with that :rolleyes: If you're attending soul nights that predominantly play up to 70's soul then you're going to be dissappointed. That's hardly a fair arguement that things are looking bad. If you're now a modern fan don't diss those that still love and approve of music you've moved on from smile.gif

Suggest that you read the thread properly before making the above comments :ohmy:

Social source share

Pedro said....

So from that I can assume that it's the non-modern stuff, ie, 60's that his beef is about :ohmy: So, I asked:

Hate to pick on an easy target but look at his initial statment, he is talking about music from 1996 to 2006, stop acting your shoe size and let people have a sensible debate.

Social source share

LOL - thanks for the put down Jocko! With his (Circa 1996 - 2006) I took that to mean what was being played, not the actual production date. Stop acting my shoe size? You're doing that by telling me not to! Like anyone else has talked about music from the past 10 years.. you've got some interesting information to add to bring this topic up to speed then... I look forward to reading it.... your sensible debate that is.

Social source share

ta Girl.

by the way you don't want to have anything to do with that Mace fella, he can't hold his ale :ohmy:

I cheat at ONE little drinking competition..... laugh.gif

FFS Dave...(and no, that doesn't mean For F*cks Sake Dave, it means Fuzzy Felts Shirt Dave wicked.gif )

Anyway, you've got more room to store it than me. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the vote once again Soulgirl...Daves just a mardarse cus he's moved further down your list :shades:

Social source share

try and make it up to seaside soul if you can pedro

be nice to see you up here

glad youve big upped lytham and fleetwood in the north of the county!!

:ohmy:

Ockers - Seaside soul is a fantastic venue. I don't know why I haven't been up in so long. I'll put that right straight away and be up your way ASAP.

Travelling outside the Northwest there are still great nights to be found.

Soul Underground, Ilkeston and Kings Hall Stoke never fail to deliver quality soul music and I will always make time for them as often as I can.

We will just have to wait and see what happens to the remaining nights in the NW

The Soul Sessions venue recomended in the midlands will be given a visit as soon as possible too.

Social source share

Pedro said....

First may I clarify that I like music from all genres. I am specifically talking about the music being played in modern soul rooms. The music that we used to here and love was 'Quality dance music (Circa 1996 - 2006)'. By this I mean that the tracks were released in this ten-year period. Music released before 1996 has its place but not in the Modern room.

Tracks were played of all tempos from uplifting soul to quality funky house. This is what the modern soul crowed loved but unfortunately we don't here them played any more. Being replaced by downbeat tracks that fail to raise the spirits or fill the dance floor.

I hope this helps.

Social source share

First may I clarify that I like music from all genres. I am specifically talking about the music being played in modern soul rooms. The music that we used to here and love was 'Quality dance music (Circa 1996 - 2006)'. By this I mean that the tracks were released in this ten-year period. Music released before 1996 has its place but not in the Modern room.

Tracks were played of all tempos from uplifting soul to quality funky house. This is what the modern soul crowed loved but unfortunately we don't here them played any more. Being replaced by downbeat tracks that fail to raise the spirits or fill the dance floor.

I hope this helps.

"Music played before 1996 has its place"? We wouldn't play Northern at a modern do, so why should we want to hear modern at a northern do?

Social source share

"Music played before 1996 has its place"? We wouldn't play Northern at a modern do, so why should we want to hear modern at a northern do?

Thats not the argument this chap is trying to makem FFS why is everyone getting so hung up on the Modern (or not Modern in this case as usual) vs Northern, read the guys posts! And the above argument is more than a little tired even when relevant to the thread!

I have nothing to add to topic, for benefit of SoullessGirl, as currently dont actually attend NW venues, but since 80% of music I currently buy, which is quite a lot, was made post 1996 I am interested in the debate, particularly as have a penchant for soulful house which is a big part of what the deabte seems to be about, so now please go away.

Pedro welcome to the mad but informative world that is Soul Source, not everyone is quite as unfriendly as our colleauge quoted above!

Social source share

I'd just repeat what BitchDJ said early in this thread...get yourself down to the next Soulfusion, the modern room was jumping, loads of soulful house, a few 80's soul anthems, and smiles everywhere I looked!

Hippo.

Social source share

Hi

Would echo Lin, Jerry, Roger and Steve's comments. Get yourself down to the midlands lots of good events to attend, Soulunderground, Soul Sessions, Soul Purpose, Soulfusion, Without Boundaries and our new event Soulshakers International details below. That should keep you busy :ohmy:

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Bloody hell Pedro, for a first post it sure is a downer. Have you ever been to the Orwell in Wigan or do you keep going to the same places with the same 5 DJ's that you don't like? That could explain it 'cos I'm sure if you'd been to the Orwell and seen the dancefloor reaction to the cracking tunes that get played there you wouldn't be posting this.

Jordi

Phew....................thankfully (as has been confirmed by pedro) this thread isn't actually talking about The Orwell cos our music policy is one of circa 1968 to 1985 so that gets us off the hook! We fall into that 'third scene' club i.e. not Northern & not the genre pedro is talking about (Modern Soul circa 1996-2007)

But many thanks to Jordi Ripolles for the reply. And if anyone has heard Jordi at The Orwell or any of the other quality venues he plays at, you'll know that he is one of MANY quality DJ's currently doing the business at the many thriving 'third scene' venues!

Don't wanna hi-jack this thread but another debate on 'third scene' venues (UK wide not just the North West) might be an idea?

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Social source share

Guest souldancer

Pedro,

I agree with so much you have said it's uncanny.

Really feel I must know you.

Visit the fantastic Midlands venues by all means but stay in the North West this weekend and get yourself down to Soulful Dance @ Lytham (AKA Family Tree) this Sat. 3rd Feb.

Make yourself known - I will be on the door and we can have some major discussions! Mr. Ockers will be there too and Mr. epic - really hope you can make it!

Social source share

Thats not the argument this chap is trying to makem FFS why is everyone getting so hung up on the Modern (or not Modern in this case as usual) vs Northern, read the guys posts! And the above argument is more than a little tired even when relevant to the thread!

I have nothing to add to topic, for benefit of SoullessGirl, as currently dont actually attend NW venues, but since 80% of music I currently buy, which is quite a lot, was made post 1996 I am interested in the debate, particularly as have a penchant for soulful house which is a big part of what the deabte seems to be about, so now please go away.

Pedro welcome to the mad but informative world that is Soul Source, not everyone is quite as unfriendly as our colleauge quoted above!

Why do Modern fans say any argument about playing modern at a Northern do is "tired" Is it because the statement is so palpably true that you do not actually have an argument?

I would love to see the comments from the modern crew who attended a modern night, and had to sit through an hour of pure 60ts northern.

Unfortunately, most northern do's now seem obliged to play at least an hour of the 70/80/90s stuff and it always puzzles me why.

As stated though, this is Soul Source, all our opinions are valid, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

ATB

Brian B

Social source share

Why do Modern fans say any argument about playing modern at a Northern do is "tired" Is it because the statement is so palpably true that you do not actually have an argument?

I would love to see the comments from the modern crew who attended a modern night, and had to sit through an hour of pure 60ts northern.

Unfortunately, most northern do's now seem obliged to play at least an hour of the 70/80/90s stuff and it always puzzles me why.

As stated though, this is Soul Source, all our opinions are valid, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

ATB

Brian B

How many wrong assumptions can you make in one day.

(a) I am not a Modern fan, I am a soul fan. I currently buy about 80% new soul music due to a number of reasons, not least I like hearing new music to me of any era and new music made currently is easier to access and a damn sight cheaper than trying to buy the new 60's I hear.

( b ) I have a reasonable sized collection of which 75% is 60's Northern/Deep soul on original vinyl or, shock horror the occasional reissue CD or LP. However whenever I DJ in my record room its OVO only so I know the rules.

(c )I rarely go out but next planned out is Lifeline weekender, where I will hardly be standing at the side moaning about not enough modern, I know what I expect there and I know what I will get, mostly good unknown 60's/70's which is what I want for that weekend. Its highly likely a majority of my outings this year will be around Northern do's so my views are hardly that of the Modern Crew, most of who have been silent so far on here.

(d) Its tired because its been going on for most of my nearly 30 years around the scene, if the Northern nights arent to your approval any more dont go or do your own (on second thoughts maybe that one is a little overdone at moment!)

I am on holiday so have too much time on my hands, should know better than to get involved, but seriously now (my blog above was attempt at slight irony on so much emphasis being put on my views when I dont go to any of said events) but Pedros question was about the type of Modern Soul being played at MODERN SOUL VENUES, so therefore could not and still cannot see the relevance of your statement to this thread, although I accept it is very relevant to what do people play at one of the 3000 NORTHERN SOUL nights on every weekend presently, however do you not think that is a different thread?

Pedro again sorry for hijacking this, still waiting on debate from the Modern Soul Crew, seems to awful quiet on the actual question asked on the thread!!

Last from me honest

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Have edited the title of topic, just to make it clear this is about Modern scene - maybe not immediately obvious from the first post when the majority of the site are coming from the Northern angle.

Edited by rachel
Social source share

(a) I am not a Modern fan, I am a soul fan. I currently buy about 80% new soul music due to a number of reasons, not least I like hearing new music to me of any era and new music made currently is easier to access and a damn sight cheaper than trying to buy the new 60's I hear.

( b ) I have a reasonable sized collection of which 75% is 60's Northern/Deep soul on original vinyl or, shock horror the occasional reissue CD or LP. However whenever I DJ in my record room its OVO only so I know the rules.

(c )I rarely go out but next planned out is Lifeline weekender, where I will hardly be standing at the side moaning about not enough modern, I know what I expect there and I know what I will get, mostly good 60's which is what I want for that weekend. Its highly likely a majority of my outings this year will be around Northern do's so my views are hardly that of the Modern Crew, most of who have been silent so far on here.

(d) Its tired because its been going on for most of my nearly 30 years around the scene, if the Northern nights arent to your approval any more dont go or do your own (on second thoughts maybe that one is a little overdone at moment!)

I am on holiday so have too much time on my hands, should know better than to get involved, but seriously now (my blog above was attempt at slight irony on so much emphasis being put on my views when I dont go to any of said events) but Pedros question was about the type of Modern Soul being played at MODERN SOUL VENUES, so therefore could not and still cannot see the relevance of your statement to this thread, although I accept it is very relevant to what do people play at one of the 3000 NORTHERN SOUL nights on every weekend presently, however do you not think that is a different thread?

Pedro again sorry for hijacking this, still waiting on debate from the Modern Soul Crew, seems to awful quiet on the actual question asked on the thread!!

Last from me honest

Jock

Way too much time on your hands, see you at Lifeline :):(:(

Social source share

Have edited the title of topic, just to make it clear this is about Modern scene - maybe not immediately obvious from the first post when the majority of the site are coming from the Northern angle.

Rachel, you might want to change it again to read 'The North West Modern Soul Scene - has the bubble burst?' because Pedro's post is aimed specifically at something he sees as an issue in that particular region and it might help those who aren't grasping what the thread is about. The issues he (quite rightly) raises don't pertain to the modern soul scene as a whole, they only exist in the north west.

Social source share

Rachel, you might want to change it again to read 'The North West Modern Soul Scene - has the bubble burst?' because Pedro's post is aimed specifically at something he sees as an issue in that particular region and it might help those who aren't grasping what the thread is about. The issues he (quite rightly) raises don't pertain to the modern soul scene as a whole, they only exist in the north west.

I'm hoping that the words 'North West' in the first post will help. Maybe. mellow.gif

Just to play devil's advocate a little... when Pedro said there was "a place" for pre-1990s tracks, he didn't actually say that place was in the Northern room.... :yes:

Social source share

Well I'd best say "hi" again cos whilst I'm not a newbie I don't post on here very often but felt I needed to have my two pennorth in on this topic, which, rather spookily, is close to my heart too, being a lover of soul music...and hating the labels, but for want of a better description..."all things modern" but not really a "crossover" fan.

IMHO, and for what it's worth, Pedro is commenting solely upon "our" scene in the North West and how the music policy adopted in a lot of "our" clubs there doesn't cater for those of us that want to hear the more upfront tunes and that, because of that, attendances are dwindling so that before long they could be gone, which, after all, would be a sad loss to this scene that we all love so passionately.

I don't think that Pedro needs to be pointed in the direction of other venues outside the North West, cos, if he's owt like me, he'll travel wherever he needs to to attend a venue that caters for his musical tastes. I know that I've travelled the length and breadth of this country over the last 32 years for this purpose and I've no intention of throwing the towel in just yet, although family commitments have curtailed my social life, which means that I don't get out half as much as I used to. But the point is that me and others really should have a choice. The North West has always had a vibrant soul scene and I'd like to see that continue, but, at the moment, for me and the music that I like, it's all a little lacklustre at some venues there these days.

There is one venue in the North West which I would add to Pedro's exceptions and that is OHS in Frodsham...always has a House Room and a Soul Room and caters for most tastes when it comes to the "moderner" stuff. Thanks to Barry May for that smashing place up the big hill...you're a star mate :yes:

Thanks for the mentions re the venues elsewhere. I'll visit when I get the chance thumbup.gif

Social source share

=============================================================================

Empty for months ??? This is giving the impression that LOWTON CIVIC SOUL NITES have been empty

Yes its true that the modern room has been suffering for ages but the Soul nites have been far from empty

averaging 350-500 for the past few months is defo not empty for months and since Jumpin Joan & the crew from the DDA took over couple of months back in the ex modern room the room as been packed as the more upfront dj,s play their tunes and with DJ,S of the calibere of Baz Maleedy playing the main room every month it gives the crowd in there a chance to hear some of Barrys and other top class dj,s a mixture of rare 60,s/70,s 80,s ect ect great dance music which is what its all about having a great nite out to dance socialise with friends ect Lowton in my eyes has never been a modern venue it was that it had a back room which was utilised for Baz ,Flanny, Steve Conner ect to play something that was not being played enough in the main hall to me a good DJ should be able to play a great mixture of soul music to keep the paying soulies happy to keep the dancers dancin and to keep the listeners sayin every now and again wow that was a great tune what was it !!! With dj,s like Barry & Flanny ect ect who have great rare soul collections

they can entertain the soulies with great soul music from any era..

So when you make comments like Lowton is empty which someone reading it could mistake that the Nite

is on a downward spiral its very misleading LOWTON IS VERY MUCH ALIVE.. :yes:

Kind Regards Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

(c )I rarely go out but next planned out is Lifeline weekender, where I will hardly be standing at the side moaning about not enough modern, I know what I expect there and I know what I will get, mostly good unknown 60's/70's which is what I want for that weekend. Its highly likely a majority of my outings this year will be around Northern do's so my views are hardly that of the Modern Crew, most of who have been silent so far on here.

Last from me honest

Jock

Hi Jocko, Enjoyed all your posts. For a while I thought you were the only one that could read. You were the first one to understand where I was coming from. Your posts were spot on and explained my position exactly, saving me from having to post relpies. Thanks for your input.

Pedro

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert