JMAuction - 18/08/2021 - Results!

Zanetti

Well, I really would have thought the Troy Dodds would scratch the 1000 mark.
The condition was not that great with JM VG+, I think with some others really already going into the VG range.

Nothing beats the beautiful blue-yellow stock copy.
In the last 5 years, two were auctioned through JM and went once for £1250 and - I think - even close to £1900.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-18 um 19.13.39.png

Social source share

8 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

It's an auction record because there's huge demand for it and JM is right in knowing that a copy with clean labels would fetch a premium - with that premium being decided by the person who bid most. His job - his business - is to get the most money from every record he sells and auctions.

I must admit I was unaware that there was a huge demand for Sunday - Ain't got no problems

I was surprised that a record I had put on tapes and cd's, had tried in vain to get a response to in my sets and was always readily available on either label had become an auction record.

I was agreeing with the previous poster in my surprise that the Troy Dodds didn't go for more money, although I concede that may not have been clear in my post.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Martyn Pitt said:

I was agreeing with the previous poster in my surprise that the Troy Dodds didn't go for more money, although I concede that may not have been clear in my post.

Troy Dodds is a great record but that dj copy on auction was not in great condition.   I remember there was quantity of the mint condition coloured issues found in the Sacremento find several years ago.  They seem to be put onto the market now and again!

It would have been good to have been able to pick up that St Louis KATZ radio station in the 1960's. The records we could have learned before they were known in the UK!

Edited by D9 Ktf
Social source share

14 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Thanks for posting as usual. Maxine Brown was a huge surprise - someone must have wanted it very badly.  

Not somebody but a minimum of two people must have bid against each other as John's auction is similar to evilbays automatic bidding process.

Unlike Tims auctions where it goes straight to your offer and it doesn't matter what the 2nd bidders bid is, I could be hundreds lower on high value 45s.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Martyn Pitt said:

I must admit I was unaware that there was a huge demand for Sunday - Ain't got no problems

I was surprised that a record I had put on tapes and cd's, had tried in vain to get a response to in my sets and was always readily available on either label had become an auction record.

Agreed regarding Troy Dodds. Nice price for a great 45.

BTW, I've edited my earlier post. On re-reading, it came across as being directed at you specifically when it was aimed at everyone generally.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, The Yank said:

When Maxine's 45 came out, Record World and Cashbox rated the flip side ("We Can Work It Out")  as a 4 star pick (RW) and  as as one of "Picks Of The Week" (CB). Billboard predicted "Let Me Give You..." as having the potential to hit the Top 60 of the Pop charts. The 45 (both sides) never took off but "Let Me Give You..." did just miss the Sweet 16 on this survey during the week of August 16, 1966- 

When the 45 came out "We can work it out`" was the A side as far as the Greenberg's were concerned. I know they were very happy with it. 

21 hours ago, Steve Ss said:

Easily the rarest (and probably the best) 45 was the Eloise Laws.

HDH produced 6x test presses, so as I know of 3 of the others, this would seem to be a good price for one of a run of only 6!

🙂

One of the 6 here got it in 1990 with a few other unissued MM / Invictus/HW test presses. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 19/08/2021 at 08:15, Martyn Pitt said:

I think other side is a low-rider tune.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I think other side is a low-rider tune.

Initially with the very first pressing on Alteen 'where did he came from' is the 'A' side. Then on the 4 following Alteen variant pressings as on the Chess release 'I ain't got no problems' (that was the instant 'HIT' radio's pick) got promoted as the 'A' side. It became a local hit record.

A low rider side ? Yes certainly ! Yet I believe that demand for it at such high prices lately, like now, compare to even a year ago comes from outside the usa. Like 'jumpers on the bandwagon'... If not rare (the Chess are rarer & even rarer not mint 😛) clean Atlteen copies are scarce.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2021 at 17:45, Steve G said:

When the 45 came out "We can work it out`" was the A side as far as the Greenberg's were concerned. I know they were very happy with it. 

One of the 6 here got it in 1990 with a few other unissued MM / Invictus/HW test presses. 

That's good Steve...

I have 2x Baby Doll test presses, both Capitol Records blank labels..Phil Dick has (had) 1

We picked them up as a big box of white labels and test presses around 1992.

Most of the stuff was released but there were also the Satisfaction Unlimited 45 (i've still got 2 - 1x white label and 1 non-sinked no label (for UK collectors?).... and 3x copies of the Jones Girls Don't be Sorry be careful...and a Chairman of the Board ....

I don't think I'm going to retire on the proceeds of that haul...... 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve Ss said:

That's good Steve...

I have 2x Baby Doll test presses, both Capitol Records blank labels..Phil Dick has (had) 1

We picked them up as a big box of white labels and test presses around 1992.

Most of the stuff was released but there were also the Satisfaction Unlimited 45 (i've still got 2 - 1x white label and 1 non-sinked no label (for UK collectors?).... and 3x copies of the Jones Girls Don't be Sorry be careful...and a Chairman of the Board ....

I don't think I'm going to retire on the proceeds of that haul...... 

Hi Steve, I have Satisfaction Unlimited "Why", a Freda Payne and the Jones Girls too which is excellent. Must have been part of that 1992 "haul". Apart from the Jones GirIs which came much later, I got the rest of them from Pat who I was visiting quite regularly between 89-94.  

Social source share

Hi Steve.

There were a lot of duplicates...I ended up with at least a 50 count box full....we just split the titles in half.....I think Phil was dealing closely with Pat at the time. Maybe he passed some of his to Pat?....I'll have to ask him

I just hoarded mine...I can't recall ever selling of them.....and yes they are all still here.....I do believe it was one of those things.....they were not particularly collectable or wanted at the time....I always rated the Satisfaction Unlimited 45....I'm led to believe HDH produced 6x test presses of titles...hence my thoughts that the Baby Doll press is a very rare item.......should have been a feeding frenzy...still, it's not right fashionable to collect non-mainstream 45s not played at Wigan....   🙂

I suppose at some point I will have to move some of the duplicates, but no need just yet......

I don't think I have a Freda Payne though....

And more sadly when I picked mine off the store counter I placed them into a "Arbor, drugstore with a difference " carrier bag, which some of them still live in.......I better check myself before I turn into Derek Pearson.....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Steve Ss said:

Hi Steve.

There were a lot of duplicates...I ended up with at least a 50 count box full....we just split the titles in half.....I think Phil was dealing closely with Pat at the time. Maybe he passed some of his to Pat?....I'll have to ask him

I just hoarded mine...I can't recall ever selling of them.....and yes they are all still here.....I do believe it was one of those things.....they were not particularly collectable or wanted at the time....I always rated the Satisfaction Unlimited 45....I'm led to believe HDH produced 6x test presses of titles...hence my thoughts that the Baby Doll press is a very rare item.......should have been a feeding frenzy...still, it's not right fashionable to collect non-mainstream 45s not played at Wigan....   🙂

I suppose at some point I will have to move some of the duplicates, but no need just yet......

I don't think I have a Freda Payne though....

And more sadly when I picked mine off the store counter I placed them into a "Arbor, drugstore with a difference " carrier bag, which some of them still live in.......I better check myself before I turn into Derek Pearson.....

I don’t recall ever getting rid of any to Pat, or anyone else for that matter. But maybe some were traded on when I went to the land of stripey suntans :) I did give my blessing to move things on to pay the bills.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Phild said:

I don’t recall ever getting rid of any to Pat, or anyone else for that matter. But maybe some were traded on when I went to the land of stripey suntans :) I did give my blessing to move things on to pay the bills.

hi Phil

didn't Blake Helliwell have a couple off you back in the early 90's

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!