Jump to content

Rarest Stock Copy


Zanetti

Recommended Posts

On 20/12/2021 at 21:46, Soulman said:

 

That Charles Brandy used to be mine and is certainly a rare one. I bought it off Dave Knight from York in the 80's as part of a deal with The Cashmeres, Lynne Vernado and a couple of other things for £100 all in. I sold it a few years ago for £4500. Shame about the sticker mark as the playing surface (both sides) were pretty much mint. The flip has to be one of the most heart wrenching ballads of all time. 

 

D8FB7378-8645-4621-A4C3-0781177AEC2C.jpeg

Link to comment
Social source share

It must be VERY rare.  It's a Chicago mid-'60s record I've never seen on a powder blue store-stocker pressing (only on yellow).  I'd like to know if this might have come from it's first, very limited release, and if The Yank saw it back in the day.  Interesting that Jump Jackson wrote the song, and, yet, it was published by Ed Wingate's Myto Music, but still released a small, Chicago indie label.

Did this come from John Anderson's haul from United Distributors?

 

Edited by Robbk
Link to comment
Social source share

14 hours ago, Robbk said:

 Interesting that Jump Jackson wrote the song, and, yet, it was published by Ed Wingate's Myto Music, but still released a small, Chicago indie label.

 

   Current credits for the song (on the Don't Forget The Motor City site) are Robert Staunton and Catherine Chapman. I'm not sure how Jump Jackson's name got on the credits. 

         Also, I've only seen the yellow stock copies of Holly Maxwell . 

Link to comment
Social source share

3 hours ago, 45cellar said:

Yes that's the one.

Not many Stock Copies about for this.

We had one in The Airwave Records office non-Airwave Soul Records Collection.  It disappeared along with the Frank Wilson and Andantes.  I wonder if Tom sold them to Soussan?  I have seen 2 other stock copies, but didn't want to spend collectors' prices for a non-Detroit/non Chicago Soul record.

Link to comment
Social source share

33 minutes ago, Julianb said:

Johnny Sayles as promised. I would like to meet Draine who decided to write their name on the label and have a chat!

Also, Rubin was mentioned earlier, so here it is.

20220106_115519.jpg

20220106_115501.jpg

Four more rare issues

20220106_115545.jpg

20220106_115551.jpg

20220106_115605.jpg

20220106_115616.jpg

Julian is the dennis edwards a promo/dj? I thought the issues were black,also i much prefer the other side👍

Link to comment
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Julian is the dennis edwards a promo/dj? I thought the issues were black,also i much prefer the other side👍

No Julian's is the pale yellow issue, I believe the black ones are boots. I'm always in a turmoil which side to play if I'm DJing, both brilliant.  Cheers............ Pete

 

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Julian is the dennis edwards a promo/dj? I thought the issues were black,also i much prefer the other side👍

 

4 minutes ago, Pete Fowler said:

No Julian's is the pale yellow issue, I believe the black ones are boots. I'm always in a turmoil which side to play if I'm DJing, both brilliant.  Cheers............ Pete

 

Black 100% boots this is demo

Dennis.jpg

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Pete Fowler said:

Here's an odd one... quite a few stockers around but never seen another one with this reversed label (Decca on the right side instead of the left) and signed by JS

image.thumb.png.ebbf566722418a59047d5cb15af4150b.png

i sold one of those a few years ago.. also only vg or vg+ at best

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Theothertosspot said:

I thought they were all like that, mine is.

2CC56088-2819-4058-A655-DCE0A80A1AD7.thumb.jpeg.935c3fba3c4f1d02ec60afe9155a7210.jpeg

I think if you look on the reverse side there will be one of the following for different pressings, though not sure for this release

◆ = Decca or MCA Pressing Plant, Pinckneyville
✤ = Decca or MCA Pressing Plant, Gloversville
◈ = Decca or MCA Pressing Plant, Richmond

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I think if you look on the reverse side there will be one of the following for different pressings, though not sure for this release

◆ = Decca or MCA Pressing Plant, Pinckneyville
✤ = Decca or MCA Pressing Plant, Gloversville
◈ = Decca or MCA Pressing Plant, Richmond

Think you mean this underneath DECCA against bracketed number.

Just looked at Lee Roye, Tears and that has ✤ on mine (demo that is)

 

8A5FA97F-3C79-4AA8-A158-FC7E796C63E2.thumb.jpeg.c25ee5a42c65f83d2c7f4fe5aff36319.jpeg

Edited by Theothertosspot
Added more
  • Up vote 3
Link to comment
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Theothertosspot said:

Think you mean this underneath DECCA against bracketed number.

Just looked at Lee Roye, Tears and that has ✤ on mine (demo that is)

 

8A5FA97F-3C79-4AA8-A158-FC7E796C63E2.thumb.jpeg.c25ee5a42c65f83d2c7f4fe5aff36319.jpeg

Indeed ◆ = Decca or MCA Pressing Plant, Pinckneyville for Johnny and ✤ = Decca or MCA Pressing Plant, Gloversville for Lee Roye

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

On 20/12/2021 at 19:06, Wiganer1 said:

Holly st James issue 

August and deneen - we go together issue 

Seen one copy of both

Shit rare 

 

 

 

 

wish someione would post a pic of holly up never seen one !!! Mark

Link to comment
Social source share

I've seen many, many white DJ's of the Dennis Edwards International Soulsville, but to today, had never seen the original gold store stocker!  I've seen hundreds of the Freddie Chavez white DJs, but only a handful of the powder blue store stockers.  That's dead rare, too.

Link to comment
Social source share

On 06/01/2022 at 16:37, Robbk said:

I've seen many, many white DJ's of the Dennis Edwards International Soulsville, but to today, had never seen the original gold store stocker!  I've seen hundreds of the Freddie Chavez white DJs, but only a handful of the powder blue store stockers.  That's dead rare, too.

Sorry! Scan already posted

 

Edited by Bo Diddley
Link to comment
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Bo Diddley said:

Dee Dee Barnes on Arctic is a rare issue. I think a member of the site has one (not me!). He put up a scan a few years ago on a similar thread.

I bought that one when it was out, and don't remember it being terribly rare.  If I remember correctly, we had it in stock at Dolphins of Hollywood, and I think they had it at Sam's, Flash, and Pat's as well. 

I think I remember seeing it in Chicago, too, at United Distributors.  I never thought of it as "rare".  I saw it a lot more on store stocker than on white DJ (which, ironically with regard to this thread, I WOULD have considered "rare").  I guess the recent rarity of 45s depends a LOT on how many of the original pressings got destroyed by the early 1970s.

I'd be curious to hear from The Yank if he remembers seeing stockers of the Dee Dee Barnes in Chicagoland record shops around the time it was out.

Edited by Robbk
Link to comment
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log in now!


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.