Zanetti
Go to solution Solved by Geeselad,

• Replies 434
  • Views 53.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

In Bob Pruter's book "Chicago Soul", he calls Avin "a local label". So- I would go with Chicago. 

And, there could be a connection with Avin and the Celtex label as both use Celtex Music for their releases. If that is true, Billy Lasley would be behind those labels and O-Pex and Expo. 

Blimey Webcor Records as well

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I can't work out if it's Detroit or Chicago, as when Andre Williams released on Avin it was only a couple of months after a Fortune release in Detroit, but Dave Wilkerson is Chicago

How annoying

Avin was a Chicago label.  Andre Williams was a Chicagoan, whose base was always in Chicago, but he worked more in Detroit for some years, but mainly commuted back and forth between the two cities for many years.  He kept a home in Chicago, but stayed with friends and associates, in Detroit when recording there, and had an apartment there for awhile. He rarely had the money to finance his own record companies, so his labels were generally owned by financing partners even if he was the COO, A&R man and main producer.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

34 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Avin was a Chicago label.  Andre Williams was a Chicagoan, whose base was always in Chicago, but he worked more in Detroit for some years, but mainly commuted back and forth between the two cities for many years.  He kept a home in Chicago, but stayed with friends and associates, in Detroit when recording there, and had an apartment there for awhile. He rarely had the money to finance his own record companies, so his labels were generally owned by financing partners even if he was the COO, A&R man and main producer.

Someone told me that sadly Williams struggled with being addicted to drugs  and his habit forced him into homelessness while he was in Chicago. 😞

Social source share

59 minutes ago, Samplat said:

Don’t see many Tamiko Jones.  I’m spellbound 

Had one for years off Anderson which I've mentioned on here before.

I did notice on Popsike a copy sold for $400 back in May 2021.

Up until that I thought I may have had the only copy.

https://www.popsike.com/Northern-Soul-45-Tamiko-Jones-Im-Spellbound-Golden-World-Lbl-BONUS-PHOTO/353506049664.html

Edited by Modernsoulsucks
Social source share

On 18/12/2021 at 16:26, Zanetti said:

Benny Sigler – Who You Gonna Turn To / I Can Give You Love

Let's stay in Philly ... I have never seen this 45, but it says (JM) that this Monster exist.
The scan is of course then yellow. 🙂

R-12870002-1543527667-7021.jpeg.jpg

I would like to come back to my second initial post.
I don't really believe in it - but is there a yellow stocker here?
Any chance someone knows, someone who knows, someone who knows someone?
There is only this ugly boot with miserable paper quality.

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I would like to come back to my second initial post.
I don't really believe in it - but is there a yellow stocker here?
Any chance someone knows, someone who knows, someone who knows someone?
There is only this ugly boot with miserable paper quality.

It's in Manships guide 5th edition page 494

1. Demo

2. Issue - Vinyl

3. 2nd press Styrene

No mention of bootleg

Social source share

6 minutes ago, The Yank said:

I've only seen the yellow/green swirl label that looks like Capitol for the issues.

Does the 7th Avenue Aviators exist on a red Congress issue?

Never seen one ever

12 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I always thought these red copies were issued? But this says promo on it?

47056B46-1C03-44FB-BF7A-B9C596F641E6.jpeg.99a41ca37df318a2e4391f19371a04cf.jpeg

It's just a stamp, so technically an issue I had one without the stamp

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

10 hours ago, Dobber said:

You mention a red issue on omen? 

17 hours ago, Robbk said:

I've seen the green one a few times in L.A. back when it was out.  But, I'll admit that the white DJ was a LOT more common, and then, the red stocker.  I'm pretty sure we carried it at Dolphins of Hollywood.

WoW!!! A Charles Brandy stocker!!!  I've NEVER seen one of those!!!

That Charles Brandy used to be mine and is certainly a rare one. I bought it off Dave Knight from York in the 80's as part of a deal with The Cashmeres, Lynne Vernado and a couple of other things for £100 all in. I sold it a few years ago for £4500. Shame about the sticker mark as the playing surface (both sides) were pretty much mint. The flip has to be one of the most heart wrenching ballads of all time. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Had one for years off Anderson which I've mentioned on here before.

I did notice on Popsike a copy sold for $400 back in May 2021.

Up until that I thought I may have had the only copy.

https://www.popsike.com/Northern-Soul-45-Tamiko-Jones-Im-Spellbound-Golden-World-Lbl-BONUS-PHOTO/353506049664.html

I saw a handful of Tamiko Jones' stockers, mostly back in the mid 1960s, and a few later.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

1 hour ago, rotherham soul said:

Never seen an issue of Tony Michaels - I Love The Life I Live. i guess they exist ? somewhere

Yes it exists.. I know a guy that bought one from mick smith years ago.. he was trying to sell it on discogs.. was still there last time I looked

Edited by Dave Pinch
Social source share

14 hours ago, Robbk said:

Absolutely!  Avin, Celtex, Expo, O-Pex, and Webcor ALL were Chicago labels, with Lasley involvement or connection, and all had links to Detroit, as well.

In January 2020 Secret Stash purchased everything

"It is with great pride that we announce Secret Stash Records has purchased the master recordings and compositions to legendary Chicago record man, Bill Lasley’s, Celtex music group.  This includes the Celtex label and publishing entities as well as the Kack, Webcor, O-Pex, Expo, Hermes, Memo, Lasco, Lucky Dove, Amp3 , Avin, and Success imprints as well as Plywood Music publishing.  Many thanks to Mr Lasley’s widow and son for entrusting us with the responsibility of caring for this timeless collection of midwest R&B.  Secret Stash will be the perfect home for it!"

https://secretstashrecords.com/blog/page/2/

Social source share

6 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

In January 2020 Secret Stash purchased everything

"It is with great pride that we announce Secret Stash Records has purchased the master recordings and compositions to legendary Chicago record man, Bill Lasley’s, Celtex music group.  This includes the Celtex label and publishing entities as well as the Kack, Webcor, O-Pex, Expo, Hermes, Memo, Lasco, Lucky Dove, Amp3 , Avin, and Success imprints as well as Plywood Music publishing.  Many thanks to Mr Lasley’s widow and son for entrusting us with the responsibility of caring for this timeless collection of midwest R&B.  Secret Stash will be the perfect home for it!"

https://secretstashrecords.com/blog/page/2/

Nice to hear that the Success masters will be included.  I hope there are some nice unreleased cuts among them.

Social source share

On 19/12/2021 at 21:24, Dobber said:

You own a green issue? That has to be the only one known? Ive had a white one and thats bloody rare,but a green one…seriously rare!

I had a green Capitals autographed. Yes very hard.

Now an issue I never thought I would ever see was Exits on black Kapp.

That caused my eyeballs to bulge I can tell you.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Velours - MGM - very few black stockers 

Also very few Earl Jackson ABC stockers - Back in Aug '72 I had 2 white demos but never had a black issue till this day.

Also had a demo and an issue of the Groovettes at the same time in the 90's - no idea of the relative rarity of either - Anyone?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 21/12/2021 at 11:17, Vadnochka said:

My brother Chris in Jersey when he was in one of his completist moods had demos and issues of both RicTic  and Golden World catalogues at one time

He may have gotten a lot of them from Ron Murphy, who ended up getting the remaining stock of them.

Social source share

On 20/12/2021 at 16:26, D9 Ktf said:

A black issue ABC Paramount of The Yum Yums  "Gonna Be A Big Thing" is rare.

Also black Kapp issues of Patti and the Emblems and Rubin are nice!

Carol & Gerri on black MGM also the Charades are a lot rarer than the demos.  Then there's all the RCA issues.  Not the rarest issues, but not too easy either!

image.thumb.png.bcce872e9e832fa71e960e7f015933ca.png

image.thumb.png.af90a46b417738f3d9335fb69faa8a00.png

image.thumb.png.c2a1e38383e2e375577caca4051d607e.png

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, Pottsy said:

I have posted this one up before on FB, but not on here.

West Coast issue.

Vontastics.JPG

I have a copy of My Baby on west coast issue as well.

I wonder how many of this labels group releases made it out here.

Obviously the major link is Monk Higgins who relocated? here late sixties.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

I have a copy of My Baby on west coast issue as well.

I wonder how many of this labels group releases made it out here.

Obviously the major link is Monk Higgins who relocated? here late sixties.

For some reason there's quite a few West Coast copies of My Baby, there's a few on ebay at this moment.

Johnny Sayles West Coast on the label is rare.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

ginger taylor had a copy too..i know  of one other west coast issue

When JM sold a demo copy a few years ago he stated that this was the rarest form other than the West Coast issue that he only knew of one copy which Ginger owned. I dropped him an email to tell him that now he knew where there was another copy!👍😁

Social source share

I had this a few years back, sold it now, but haven't seen another before or since, not on issue anyway...

I had both Kapp 865 / 866 (Jaibi) on issue and demo which I thought was just cool, only to be out done when I saw Dave Flynn's acetates of both releases... 😕

Larry Banks - I'm Not the One.jpg

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mal C said:

I had this a few years back, sold it now, but haven't seen another before or since, not on issue anyway...

I had both Kapp 865 / 866 (Jaibi) on issue and demo which I thought was just cool, only to be out done when I saw Dave Flynn's acetates of both releases... 😕

Larry Banks - I'm Not the One.jpg

Went to a good home Mal 👍

Cheers Paul

Edited by Soul Shrews
spelling
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 21/12/2021 at 19:42, Vadnochka said:

Velours - MGM - very few black stockers 

Also very few Earl Jackson ABC stockers - Back in Aug '72 I had 2 white demos but never had a black issue till this day.

Also had a demo and an issue of the Groovettes at the same time in the 90's - no idea of the relative rarity of either - Anyone?

image.thumb.png.b3a0990090d2865c5dbcc7f108f43022.png

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!