Zanetti
Go to solution Solved by Geeselad,

• Replies 434
  • Views 53.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

6 hours ago, Tagtag said:

Thanks but does anyone have a Palmer 5031 Stock copy or Demo for that matter?

I have only ever seen this track on the5020 release. Could anyone provide a label scan of 5031?

This might answer your question, quote from a previous post, it had no replies.

“Dave Moore

Posted March 28, 2011

Hi fellow anoraks,

As a Palmer 'completist' I saw the recent Peoples Choice 5020 recently sold. It was adverstised as the 'Rarer issue" Can anyone claim to have a 5031 copy of "Saving My Love For You"? In 35 years of collecting and the last 20 looking for a copy of 5031, I've never seen one. Anyone...?

Regards,

Dave”

Edited by Theothertosspot
Added “
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Theothertosspot said:

This might answer your question, quote from a previous post, it had no replies.

“Dave Moore

Posted March 28, 2011

Hi fellow anoraks,

As a Palmer 'completist' I saw the recent Peoples Choice 5020 recently sold. It was adverstised as the 'Rarer issue" Can anyone claim to have a 5031 copy of "Saving My Love For You"? In 35 years of collecting and the last 20 looking for a copy of 5031, I've never seen one. Anyone...?

Regards,

Dave”

Palmer 5031 is an urban myth,it Definitely does Not exist. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Gang of us in Colne Wetherspoons on Sunday (16th),Me & Margaret, Rod & Claire Shard, Steve & Sue Bradley, John Reynolds, Gary Parker, Guy Hennigan & Dean Anderson, Rod taking the pixx out of me about my posting on RB and Guy chirps up I have a mint issue. So that is 3, bound to be more to climb out of the woodwork!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Always thought there were loads out there as it was a big sound for about 5 mins. in the great scheme of things along with Clara Ward back in 71 / 72 and they both disappeared under the avalanche of new and better discoveries on a weekly basis back then - If my memory serves me I and my brother Chris had an EMI disc of Clara Ward from some obscure deal from  the Mecca / Torch / Cats at that time and RB was on our wants list for said 5 mins.

Social source share

On 30/12/2021 at 15:44, Hammie said:

The rarest stock copy ….one-off as far as I know is 

US stock of Earl Jackson - Soul self satisfaction owned by T. Brown acquired from Gary Field……

was one in a sales box at the H&G for £10 several years back..just missed it.. that ended up on a TB auction i believe

Social source share

2 hours ago, Geoff B said:

Gang of us in Colne Wetherspoons on Sunday (16th),Me & Margaret, Rod & Claire Shard, Steve & Sue Bradley, John Reynolds, Gary Parker, Guy Hennigan & Dean Anderson, Rod taking the pixx out of me about my posting on RB and Guy chirps up I have a mint issue. So that is 3, bound to be more to climb out of the woodwork!

Just like to point out here that contrary to the impression given that this get-together was a meeting of  like-minded chinstrokers, it was in fact a meeting of the support group to help Geoff with his addiction to trainspotting.

Lately it's got much worse culminating in his poor wife finding the 9.15 am train from Clitheroe to Blackburn hidden under Geoff's bed.

He's gone off the rails and just trying to get him back on track.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Vadnochka said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with trainspotting  - brought up within 200yds of the Great Central outside Leicester and 3 miles from the Midland mainline and an elder brother of 6yrs. I'm a member of the Melton Mowbray Model Railway club and for my 40th birthday 28yrs ago my missus bought me a train driving experience and was able to experience driving A4 Pacific  Sir Nigel Gresley from Loughborough to Leicester and back x 2 - Anyone who knows anything about steam locomotives will know this is the equivalent of finding a red stock Sam Williams or George Pepp demo and I really enjoy my Tuesday evening sessions with the club - 'Going to the anoraks' my missus jokes every Tues. We always finish in the pub.

Keeps me sane and prevents my total life being immersed in Vinylogy

I was once on the footplate and sounded the whistle on that 4-6-2  A4 Pacific! 

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Two of you !

There is help available.

Crisis Action for Spotters Habits does sterling work.

If you wish to make a donation a cheque made out to C.A.S.H. and sent to me will go a long way to removing this scourge from our society.

Now c'mon Rod, getting a bit off topic now,  i'm sure their must be some fish in the brook that need catching!

Think I need that Rod off my back in more ways than one!

Social source share

Don't get me started I'll be adding pics of me togged up cap & overall leaning out of the cab like Casey Jones if you don't watch out. 

A life affirming moment almost as exciting as finding that mint $5 Tan Geers purple stocker and Appreciations mint yellow stock It's better to Cry - getting back on topic

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Vadnochka said:

Don't get me started I'll be adding pics of me togged up cap & overall leaning out of the cab like Casey Jones if you don't watch out. 

A life affirming moment almost as exciting as finding that mint $5 Tan Geers purple stocker and Appreciations mint yellow stock It's better to Cry - getting back on topic

I know what you mean.

When I'm fishing I don't know if I'm going to pull out the equivalent of a Magnetics on Bonnie or a Pye copy of Footsee, though usually the latter !

I have stock Appreciations so we can dismiss that from the list.

I think for something on regular issue to be rare and worth noticing there has to be a lot of promo copies around. And vice versa.

I reckon yellow demos of "I'm the one to do it" and "Hope we have" are instances of uncommon formats considering the vast amount of issues.

Social source share

On 18/01/2022 at 07:34, D9 Ktf said:

I didn't know it existed, till I found one many years ago on USA ebay,

"He Loves Me" -  The Chalfontes on a Black label Mercury USA stock.

There are plenty of reds, but black is rare!

Yes it is.  I've seen but one single black stocker in my many years of record spotting.  Also, finding it on an original Detroit tiny one-shot indie label owned by Dave Hamilton would be an even greater find. 🤪

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/01/2022 at 17:55, Bo Diddley said:

Is there a Youngblood Smith Verve issue? 

Or has it been mentioned before?

I've never seen one, but then, I'd only seen 1 scan of Dee Dee Barnes before this thread!

Apologies if I've missed this being covered in this or another thread (as I often do) but...

Is there a stock copy of Youngblood Smith about? 

If so, it would be nice to see a scan.

Thanks

Social source share

7 hours ago, Vadnochka said:

Always thought there were loads out there as it was a big sound for about 5 mins. in the great scheme of things along with Clara Ward back in 71 / 72 and they both disappeared under the avalanche of new and better discoveries on a weekly basis back then - If my memory serves me I and my brother Chris had an EMI disc of Clara Ward from some obscure deal from  the Mecca / Torch / Cats at that time and RB was on our wants list for said 5 mins.

Paul Bostock's market stalls in Bradford and Leeds famously had huge quantities of Verve and MGM titles around 72. The Verve ones I remember were Ambers, Superiors, Shalimars, Triumphs, Clara Ward, Terri Byant and lots of Howard Tate and Garnnet Mimms. Paul soon caught on that he could charge more than the usual 25p and he advertised in Black Echoes the most popular titles. I bought a Robert Banks (on a promo) from Bradford but it was from the 25p mixed stock. Other people must have got copies but there was never a big enough quantity for Paul to hike the price. Agree that it was only a big record for a few months but I always liked it, especially getting one for 25p. I remember Swish almost falling down the stairs at Leeds Central when I played it there, it was his favourite record at that time.

2 hours ago, Bo Diddley said:

Apologies if I've missed this being covered in this or another thread (as I often do) but...

Is there a stock copy of Youngblood Smith about? 

If so, it would be nice to see a scan.

Thanks

I've never seen a stock copy of Youngblood Smith and I don't think Bradford market ever had any on promo or stock copy. The first time I came  across it was as the bootleg. I think Simon Soussan pressed it up much too soon as it wasn't a well known record.

Maybe one of the Clitheroe and Colne Chinstrokers Club might have a stock copy tucked away .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, The Yank said:

Yes- from what I remember the seller said they got them from someone who worked at a pressing plant.

The mercury issue is a bit tough as well ..... Isn't it ?

Here is a rubbish theory. did Blue Rock withdraw cos the title was wrong ?

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

15 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Paul Bostock's market stalls in Bradford and Leeds famously had huge quantities of Verve and MGM titles around 72. The Verve ones I remember were Ambers, Superiors, Shalimars, Triumphs, Clara Ward, Terri Byant and lots of Howard Tate and Garnnet Mimms. Paul soon caught on that he could charge more than the usual 25p and he advertised in Black Echoes the most popular titles. I bought a Robert Banks (on a promo) from Bradford but it was from the 25p mixed stock. Other people must have got copies but there was never a big enough quantity for Paul to hike the price. Agree that it was only a big record for a few months but I always liked it, especially getting one for 25p. I remember Swish almost falling down the stairs at Leeds Central when I played it there, it was his favourite record at that time.

I've never seen a stock copy of Youngblood Smith and I don't think Bradford market ever had any on promo or stock copy. The first time I came  across it was as the bootleg. I think Simon Soussan pressed it up much too soon as it wasn't a well known record.

Maybe one of the Clitheroe and Colne Chinstrokers Club might have a stock copy tucked away .

Never seen a Bessie Banks issue either - any scans out there?

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Benji said:

Blue Rock was distributed by Mercury. Maybe the switched the release from local label to major label at the very last second? I wouldn't be surprised if run out groove details of Blue Rock and Mercury presses are the same.

Blue Rock isn’t local though is it? It was Mercury’s label for soul/R&B. Bit like Loma was for WB.  The Blue Rock label was put on hold at the time this was scheduled for release so probably the reason it was switched to Mercury with some test presses pressed on Blue Rock.  The stamped dead wax on the Blue Rock copy shows the Mercury #'s of YW1-36600/36601.  The ebay listing details are on 45cat. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/01/2022 at 17:38, Zanetti said:

But there is no demo from Esther Grant - so lapsed.
Nat T. Jones is available on Goliath I think only as a demo - but very rare.
The red stock copy is supposed to be a repress. Can anyone, apart from discogs.com confirm or comment on this?

I dont think the Red Goliath boot would count as a stocker, but I seem to recall in my dim and distant past that there is a Goliath stocker. 

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

There was a thread about this release (or maybe another one that turned up on Blue Rock - I'm getting old) and JM auctioned one I think. Cant remember the full story but its on here. Something about the pressing process and 6 copies pressed for test but never released. I can never find anything on the search engine, but you might be able to dig it out.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Can someone kindly upload a copy of Rhonda Washington on Sure Shot as a scan? I am deliberately not asking for Stocker or Demo. Does this record exist at all? It's been listed on Discogs for years without a picture and in every JM guide.

Please feedback? Thanks friends

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Can someone kindly upload a copy of Rhonda Washington on Sure Shot as a scan? I am deliberately not asking for Stocker or Demo. Does this record exist at all? It's been listed on Discogs for years without a picture and in every JM guide.

It's here as well (5026)

http://www.globaldogproductions.info/s/sure-shot.html

• Up vote 2
Social source share

31 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Mentioning Sure Shot, I came across a piece of superfluous information. Kurtis Scott on Sure Shot and Kurt Harris on Diamond are one and the same person. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

There was a thread about this release (or maybe another one that turned up on Blue Rock - I'm getting old) and JM auctioned one I think. Cant remember the full story but its on here. Something about the pressing process and 6 copies pressed for test but never released. I can never find anything on the search engine, but you might be able to dig it out.

Here's the topic from 2016

• Up vote 2
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Mentioning Sure Shot, I came across a piece of superfluous information. Kurtis Scott on Sure Shot and Kurt Harris on Diamond are one and the same person. 

One and the same .. his real name is Curtis Futch .. he's a really nice bloke

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

So rare. You can find absolutely nothing on the internet. It must have been a very very small number of pressings

Possibly only the 6 pressing plant test pressings were pressed up, and then suddenly, the pressing order was cancelled immediately after the decision to switch the release over to Mercury, and before the commercial press run could be started up.  The same situation that had occurred with The Frank Wilson Soul, and Andantes VIP.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Possibly only the 6 pressing plant test pressings were pressed up, and then suddenly, the pressing order was cancelled immediately after the decision to switch the release over to Mercury, and before the commercial press run could be started up.  The same situation that had occurred with The Frank Wilson Soul, and Andantes VIP.

Hi Robb - thanks so much.
Why exactly 6? And these test pressings could be in circulation? Sure-shot pressings then?
You mention Mercury - Was "What about Love" released there or am I misunderstanding you?

Social source share

9 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

No - it was scheduled for release on Blue Rock right about the same time the label was shutting down. I can't find an exact date but, you can tell by this article it's the beginning of the end for the label- 

Blue.jpg

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

And here is the acetate on Youtube 

Acetate.jpg

The date on the acetate is misleading. I'm not sure what it's referring to but, it's not when the song was made. Here's a Cashbox review from Feb. 12, 1966- 

Hart.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I thought that was well known now…

It was new to me Chalky.....and if its new to me then there are others that are probably not aware either.

I should say that I don't particularly like either record. But thats no slight on Kurt/ Kurtis who has a fine set of lungs.

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

It was new to me Chalky.....and if its new to me then there are others that are probably not aware either.

I should say that I don't particularly like either record. But thats no slight on Kurt/ Kurtis who has a fine set of lungs.

I utterly agree with the point about "I thought that was well known" I knew, but I bet there are lots who do not

Social source share

27 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Some of this I did not know until you inspired me to google a bit more, thanks

Kurtis Scott formerly Kurt Harris, born Curtis Futch jr., Elonia, Ga.
Landed in New York City about 1952 being in show business for many years 
Ex boxer and group singer recorded with the capitols about 1958 singing bass
on the classic recording of Angel Of Love and has appeared in films with Van Johnson
Jean Hackman Robert Cup and many others.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Surprised me mate as I’d known since the early 90s. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!