Zanetti
Go to solution Solved by Geeselad,

• Replies 434
  • Views 53.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

2 hours ago, John-o said:

Bloody hell I did it ! I hope this is the record folk meant now , there are marks on the photo but none whatsoever on the vinyl. Every day,s a school day eh ? 

Yeah . You did a good Job with Photoshop. 🤣😉💪

Happy eastern john

Social source share

• 5 months later...
19 minutes ago, Imperial C said:

Some interesting chat here 👍

i,ve had  a couple of the rare red issues of frankie karl , definately rarer than the demo copy....except the very rare w/demo demo ...yes a minter here...i also think the two rarest stock copies that exist are dennis edwards international soulsville cream issue of johnny on the spot.yes i,ve had a minter ,and dean courtneys black issue of love ,you just can,t walk away on mgm.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

,and dean courtneys black issue of love ,you just can,t walk away on mgm.

How many copies do you know on that one Stanley, Pete Smith had it twice, he sold it to Mick Smith, and back again, after that I lost track of that copy, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen / heard of another, obviously there must be others, some plant somewhere pressed it, and given it's MGM I'd expect the run would have been a min 500?

MGM Records.jpg

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Mal C said:

How many copies do you know on that one Stanley, Pete Smith had it twice, he sold it to Mick Smith, and back again, after that I lost track of that copy, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen / heard of another, obviously there must be others, some plant somewhere pressed it, and given it's MGM I'd expect the run would have been a min 500?

MGM Records.jpg

i believe that same copy now resides in australia with barry.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Stanley said:

i,ve had  a couple of the rare red issues of frankie karl , definately rarer than the demo copy....except the very rare w/demo demo ...yes a minter here..

Ok - do I understand this correctly: there are 2 stock copies and 2(!) demos.

There are 4 copies:

1 - Stock Yellow/Green
2 - Stock Red
3 - W/D
4 - W/D Demo

Which stock copy is rarer? The red one?
Can you upload a scan of your super rare demo here?
tia

Social source share

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

i,ve had  a couple of the rare red issues of frankie karl , definately rarer than the demo copy....except the very rare w/demo demo ...yes a minter here...i also think the two rarest stock copies that exist are dennis edwards international soulsville cream issue of johnny on the spot.yes i,ve had a minter ,and dean courtneys black issue of love ,you just can,t walk away on mgm.

I posted a picture of my Dennis Edwards issue earlier in this thread👍

Social source share

On 29/09/2023 at 13:00, Zanetti said:

Ok - do I understand this correctly: there are 2 stock copies and 2(!) demos.

There are 4 copies:

1 - Stock Yellow/Green
2 - Stock Red
3 - W/D
4 - W/D Demo

Which stock copy is rarer? The red one?
Can you upload a scan of your super rare demo here?
tia

@Stanley Do You Have A Scan From The Other Demo You Were Ref? Tia

Social source share

31 minutes ago, Russoul1 said:

Yes that is correct, possibly not a demo maybe a issue but couldn't believe I came across a red copy....never seen another

Is it the same strong red with black writing as The Superlatives WAL-LY 6330 ?

Edited by Geoff B
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Gaz T said:

Lydia marcelle on Nola 

believe this is stupid rare on Nola issue

Anyone own this ?

I love the tune, have it on uk sue which is getting difficult to find nowadays 

so overlooked 

IMG_0638.png

Super. Thanks for sharing and uploading. I was not aware of it. Seems to be a sweety.
Nola had mainly released stock copies. 
There are not many artists on NOLA that got in with demos.

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Nope. 13 people are looking for this record!

Popsike only has 2 Nola issues in its entire Lydia marcelle history 

I imagine its just never been played much on the soul scene and isn’t  generally well known unless your collecting  

If it wasn’t for the uk sue release I  wouldn’t have been aware of the tune , I can’t recall ever hearing it  played when I was out and about.

Shame cause it’s a great record 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, neckender said:

This subject, the rarest stock copy, should have been an engaging read, but the thread is all over the place. Its a massive thread, but containing many ill thought out contributions, due to confusing inputs about dj copies, non-US  releases, test pressings, etc.  Not to mention a whole raft of people putting forward not so rare issues. Also, plenty of hearsay contributions about rare stock copies, but scant evidence to back it up.  All in all, not more than twenty genuinely rare stock copies mentioned, which is a very small number for such a big appraisal.

Should the thread be locked because of this?

I partly agree with you, but how do you want to coordinate or evaluate the "many poorly thought-out" posts. After all, it's a public thread where interested parties, newbies and long-established members of the scene can discuss ...
This is not supposed to be an elite blog, many trends/opinions are welcome here plus assessments that go beyond whether RARE or not RARE.

Zanetti

• Up vote 2
Social source share

5 hours ago, Zanetti said:

.........."many poorly thought-out" posts. After all, it's a public thread where interested parties, newbies and long-established members of the scene can discuss ...
This is not supposed to be an elite blog, many trends/opinions are welcome here plus assessments that go beyond whether RARE or not RARE.

Zanetti

The name of the thread is "Rarest Stock Copy".

You said..."assessments that go beyond whether RARE or not RARE". ?? Now you have totally lost me. Is it Rarest Stock Copy? or not Rarest Stock Copy??

We didn't even get past page one of 'Rarest Stock Copy' before you posted the following :

"Posted December 20, 2021.......What would interest me: Is there a demo of the gentleman down here ...??" Followed by a picture of Nabay. So even on page one you wanted to talk about 'DEMOS'.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Ady Potts said:

The name of the thread is "Rarest Stock Copy".

You said..."assessments that go beyond whether RARE or not RARE". ?? Now you have totally lost me. Is it Rarest Stock Copy? or not Rarest Stock Copy??

We didn't even get past page one of 'Rarest Stock Copy' before you posted the following :

"Posted December 20, 2021.......What would interest me: Is there a demo of the gentleman down here ...??" Followed by a picture of Nabay. So even on page one you wanted to talk about 'DEMOS'.

Yes exactly, the first one is correct. No problem. I hope you're not still confused.

In the course of the thread topic, it may also be interesting to know whether a demo exists at all, which is not to deny the rarity of the stock copy, which should primarily be talked about.

Zanetti

Social source share

3 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Yes exactly, the first one is correct. No problem. I hope you're not still confused.

In the course of the thread topic, it may also be interesting to know whether a demo exists at all, which is not to deny the rarity of the stock copy, which should primarily be talked about.

Zanetti

Nabay 'believe it or not' ; if not 'rare' what would be its "status" ? The 'Impact' ( this 'emblematic' label) 'marmite' record ? Fact is that it's a vanity record. Yet 'humble' enough with no aim to reach commercial status.

Hence likely why no promotional copy were pressed out for distribution. Maybe better to avoid a disgrace as even good records do falls out through the dee-jays nets. Did they knew somehow that it's not that good ?

Mind you am not saying that it's not a 'northern soul' classic or even a TOP500 'logically' (rightfully to others but not me) as the 'rare', Detroit and 'dance' factor is there. Just saying what it is before and beyond that. 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I'll go ahead anyway, because I'm also up for it

No "dj copy", "non-US release", no copy from Lebanon, or Ireland ... or whatever - no "test pressing" either, but probably a very rare, "rock(ing)-solid" record that hopefully scratches the chat a little ... 

R-4412428-1517899852-7586.jpg

Very rare issue indeed,but the fact it has a palmer release takes the shine off a little😂

Social source share

1 minute ago, Dobber said:

Very rare issue indeed,but the fact it has a palmer release takes the shine off a little😂

And I suppose if we are talking rarest issues(stocks) without demos and other permutations then I suppose the top end shrine stuff is in here..the counts..prophets?

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

No "dj copy", "non-US release", no copy from Lebanon, or Ireland ... or whatever - no "test pressing" either, but probably a very rare, "rock(ing)-solid" record that hopefully scratches the chat a little ... 

you've lost me here, what's the criteria again?

hqdefault-002.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/12/2023 at 21:41, Zanetti said:

Superb record ,but John Anderson had lots of copies early 80’s .They’ve all disappeared into collections now sadly 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!