Zanetti
Go to solution Solved by Geeselad,

• Replies 434
  • Views 53.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

3 hours ago, Robbk said:

I'd be curious to hear from The Yank if he remembers seeing stockers of the Dee Dee Barnes in Chicagoland record shops around the time it was out.

I don't remember seeing Dee Dee Barnes stock copies or hearing it on the radio. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing promos or stocks of this around the Chicago area.

Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

I don't remember seeing Dee Dee Barnes stock copies or hearing it on the radio. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing promos or stocks of this around the Chicago area.

I never heard it on the radio there.  But, I thought I remembered seeing a 45 of it.  But, if I saw it in a thrift shop, it could have been brought there by someone who moved there from The East Coast.  I think it got a few test airplays on KGFJ in L.A. But it certainly didn't get regular rotation play, or chart there.  It definitely had a store stocker Monarch press run in L.A.

Social source share

3 hours ago, The Yank said:

Besides KGFJ, I could only find it getting play on this radio station where it just made  the Top 30 - 

D D.jpg

It actually CHARTED at #30!  But, I'd bet that it got at least a few trial plays on many other Soul stations.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm not sure about the rarest issue, but you don't see many of these:

Susan Rewis - They Say You Found A New Baby - Columbia (red issue)

Most I've seen are white demo's, don't recall seeing another issue but they must exist. 

This was my copy but ended up selling it a number of years ago.

Susan Rewis.jpg

Edited by Mot
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Steve Foran said:

Couple for me.

Anyone seen or got Jades I'm where its at Nite Life ISSUE like Willie Wade?

Also I have asked before. Anyone seen an Al Scott ISSUE or Mr Soul demo? 

I have an Al Scott mate….doesn’t say demo on it anywhere ? Never seen either presses with promo on them 

Social source share

8 hours ago, Mot said:

I'm not sure about the rarest issue, but you don't see many of these:

Susan Rewis - They Say You Found A New Baby - Columbia (red issue)

Most I've seen are white demo's, don't recall seeing another issue but they must exist. 

This was my copy but ended up selling it a number of years ago.

Susan Rewis.jpg

I've never ever seen the red stock copy of this, but seen many WDJs of it in looking through literally probably over a million or two 1960s 45s in my time.  The stocker must be dead rare.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Steve Foran said:

Couple for me.

Anyone seen or got Jades I'm where its at Nite Life ISSUE like Willie Wade?

Also I have asked before. Anyone seen an Al Scott ISSUE or Mr Soul demo? 

I think the green Jades is the same as the black Holly St James - mythical

Social source share

38 minutes ago, Pete Fowler said:

I think these 2 are quite tough, certainly loads more demos around... and has anyone seen an issue of Little Richie "Just Another Heartache"? (as opposed to "Heartbreak".. seen a few of those)

image.thumb.png.3f65265dd69a4accf0d491c1f037ebf2.pngimage.thumb.png.cbf14ea0654c18238a4602bc9496448d.png

What are these Pete, drinks coasters?😁🤣😇

Social source share

55 minutes ago, pumpkinseed said:

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

"Did have Dee Dee Barnes on BLACK PRINT / BLUE LABEL a few years ago . "

Was that one styrene?   That's l.A.'s Monarch's west Coast pressing, which was the one we had in stock at Dolphin's of Hollywood, and I saw in quantity at California Music (Distributors), and in the other L.A. shops.

Social source share

A rare issue on Loma - in fact, without a doubt the hardest on the label. Easily obtained as an unwanted sound for a few quid as a yellow issue and as a white demo, but this one - the first under the new Warner/Seven Arts branding on the cusp of 1968 - is exceptionally elusive.

The poor quality scan below is one I grabbed from somewhere online back in 2010. I've not seen another since.

1673970937_Implements-Greencopy.JPG.2fdc1e812308d92339cf331d48d90fcd.JPG

Social source share

3 hours ago, Hammie said:

Never mind Dee Dee Barnes……I reckon Cindy Gibson Ist he rarest Arctic 

EA3F04C8-25E3-4751-ADD1-E12210EC5C58.jpeg

I agree with this, at least for The Midwest and West Coast.  I've seen many more of the Dee dee Barnes than the Cindy Gibson in those two regions where I resided.  I only made a few record-buying trips to The East Coast, and never looked for records in The South(Southeast),  So, I can't speak for those latter two regions.  But, I was able to find and buy a copy of both records.  I've never seen a WDJ of the Cindy Gibson, however.

Social source share

On 07/01/2022 at 17:23, Rick Cooper said:

Anyone seen or got a stock copy of Robert Banks- Mighty Good Way on Verve. I never saw any from all the Verve titles on Bradford market and Popsike only has promos. 

That's a no then.

A search of Record World from 1967 has three mentions of Robert Banks. A brief mention of the single ("Smile" listed as the reviewed side) from 12th Sept 67, the LP listed on a Verve advert from 12th Feb and a photo with Curtis Blandon signing to Tower. Assume Record World would have had a promo copy. I can't find any chart placing or radio plays, maybe others ( @The Yank or @Blackpoolsoul) might have better ways of searching archives or perhaps @Robbk might remember seeing the record. Could be the record never made the shops.

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Archive-Record-World-IDX/IDX/60s/67/RW-1967-08-12-OCR-Page-0066.pdf#search="robert banks"

Social source share

On 20/12/2021 at 16:43, Wheelsville1 said:

Gene Toones on simco and The Devotions on nation are very tough as well

I had the Gene Toones issue back in the 80s. £20 off Keb at Reading Top Rank all dayer. Sold it to Mark Bicknell when I sold up that first collection around 87/88.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Wiganer1 said:

hats off to Russ Winstanley for playing at wigan 

I never met Russ, is his real surname Winstanley as we passed the place in Wigan a few months back and that's a great coincidence ?

43 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

That's a no then.

A search of Record World from 1967 has three mentions of Robert Banks. A brief mention of the single ("Smile" listed as the reviewed side) from 12th Sept 67, the LP listed on a Verve advert from 12th Feb and a photo with Curtis Blandon signing to Tower. Assume Record World would have had a promo copy. I can't find any chart placing or radio plays, maybe others ( @The Yank or @Blackpoolsoul) might have better ways of searching archives or perhaps @Robbk might remember seeing the record. Could be the record never made the shops.

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Archive-Record-World-IDX/IDX/60s/67/RW-1967-08-12-OCR-Page-0066.pdf#search="robert banks"

I agree and bet it was going to be released but never got the airplay so shelved. Oh to find a box full

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Rick Cooper said:

That's a no then.

A search of Record World from 1967 has three mentions of Robert Banks. A brief mention of the single ("Smile" listed as the reviewed side) from 12th Sept 67, the LP listed on a Verve advert from 12th Feb and a photo with Curtis Blandon signing to Tower. Assume Record World would have had a promo copy. I can't find any chart placing or radio plays, maybe others ( @The Yank

The only other mention I could find was in Cashbox (Sept.16, "67). "Smile" was listed as a "Best Bet" and "A MIghty Good Way" received a B+ rating. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 07/01/2022 at 09:23, Rick Cooper said:

Anyone seen or got a stock copy of Robert Banks- Mighty Good Way on Verve. I never saw any from all the Verve titles on Bradford market and Popsike only has promos. 

I found mine at Ray Avery's Records bargain-priced 45 shelves in Glendale a few months after it was released.  It was a DJ copy, among about a couple hundred mint MGM/Verve/and other MGM-distributed labels.  I don't remember ever seeing a stock copy of it, but I could have seen a few.  That isn't a record that I'd have paid attention to whether or not it was a DJ or stocker.  But, I DO remember seeing a lot of DJ issues of it.  I never bothered to buy both stockers and DJ issues of Verve mid sixties releases, as I would have done for rare Detroit and Chicago Soul records.

I don't remember either side being played on KGFJ in L.A. or WVON in Chicago.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 07/01/2022 at 17:23, Rick Cooper said:

Never seen one personally but according to “The Northern Soul Top 500” (©2000) book the author had the following values;

£40 Issue

£50 Demo

The accompanying picture was that of the demo.

Edited by Theothertosspot
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Theothertosspot said:

Never seen one personally but according to “The Northern Soul Top 500” (©2000) book the author had the following values;

£40 Issue

£50 Demo

The accompanying picture was that of the demo.

Well spotted and thanks for checking. However, I think Kev would be the first to admit that the info available to him over twenty years ago was a lot more limited than today. Also he wasn't writing a price guide book so he wouldn't need to research the price for every record . As there are no issues listed on popsike and no one on here has seen a copy I'm still doubtful that the stock ever reached distributors or shops. Maybe Robert Banks thought he would concentrate on his producing and writing so Verve pulled the single and binned all the stock copies after the promos had been sent out.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

Well spotted and thanks for checking. However, I think Kev would be the first to admit that the info available to him over twenty years ago was a lot more limited than today. Also he wasn't writing a price guide book so he wouldn't need to research the price for every record . As there are no issues listed on popsike and no one on here has seen a copy I'm still doubtful that the stock ever reached distributors or shops. Maybe Robert Banks thought he would concentrate on his producing and writing so Verve pulled the single and binned all the stock copies after the promos had been sent out.

Or, perhaps it was pulled even before any stock copies were pressed?

Social source share

16 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Hi Rick,

I have a stock copy, will post a pic when I can get my daughter to help me. If you go to Rod Shards again at any time I will take it so you can have a look.

atb, Geoff Buckley.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tagtag said:

These must be quite rare:

Esther Grant - Let's Get The most Out Of Love - Wilstone

Nat T Jones - Moving Forward - Wilstone (Or Goliath)

Peoples Choice - Saving My Loving For You - Palmer 5031 - if it actually exists! (Not Palmer 5020)

Nat T Jones on Wilstone is a new one on me.Wow! Both Esther grant and Pat Livingstone are Red Box publishing as well.Discogs has it as Wilshire? New York label.

Have you seen a Wilstone copy or do you think it might have been leased to Goliath? 

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Nat T Jones on Wilstone is a new one on me.Wow! Both Esther grant and Pat Livingstone are Red Box publishing as well.Discogs has it as Wilshire? New York label.

Have you seen a Wilstone copy or do you think it might have been leased to Goliath? 

I am pretty sure that Nat T Jones exists on Wilstone and have a feeling it differs slightly to the Goliath release.

If my memory serves me correctly Soul Sam has one on Wilstone and it was pictured in Manships 7th edition price guide.

The link with Betty Hazly also fits with the Esther Grant disc on Wilstone.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Manship's 5th Edition clearly has the label as Wilshire 108 and £2000 and in 7th Editon listed as Wilshire as well £1500, but is is an error as label is Wilstone as per label image

John is getting old now 😀 and mistakes happen (but twice ?)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

6 hours ago, Tagtag said:

Esther Grant - Let's Get The most Out Of Love - Wilstone

Nat T Jones - Moving Forward - Wilstone (Or Goliath)

But there is no demo from Esther Grant - so lapsed.
Nat T. Jones is available on Goliath I think only as a demo - but very rare.
The red stock copy is supposed to be a repress. Can anyone, apart from discogs.com confirm or comment on this?

Social source share

5 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Manship's 5th Edition clearly has the label as Wilshire 108 and £2000 and in 7th Editon listed as Wilshire as well £1500, but is is an error as label is Wilstone as per label image

John is getting old now 😀 and mistakes happen (but twice ?)

Its an Error: Just Wilstone

Source: JM

0.jpg.7bed7790ea22548a5e9d5d885562d689.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!