Dancing shoes

Lord Emsworth

I hope I'm posting in the right section

This is a serious question, I am interested in the best shoes to dance in

I recently turned 60 and am determined to dance more and whilst I still can. I have always loved dancing but am upping my game in 2022.

So, with that in mind, what shoes work best for dancing in your opinion?

And, for those that go the trainer route, what trainers would you recommend?

Thanks in anticipation

• Up vote 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Lord Emsworth said:

I also came across this page dedicated to the best trainers for dancing...

welcome to the site

that link you posted is very seo friendly - some might say a bit too seo (search engine optimisation)  friendly seeing it was posted by a new member

are you involved with that store at all?

if  so our banner advertising details can be had here

if not no worries

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Soulmark said:

You can’t go wrong with a pair of Loake brogues 

Thanks Soulmark

Not cheap are they? But sure they are worth it.

According to their website...

No gentleman’s wardrobe is complete without a pair of handcrafted Goodyear welted brogues. With punched holes (originally designed to allow water to drain from the shoe), choose from a wide selection of Leather or Rubber-soled options in Oxford or Derby constructions, in a vast array of colours and styles.

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Lord Emsworth said:

Thanks Soulmark

Not cheap are they? But sure they are worth it.

According to their website...

No gentleman’s wardrobe is complete without a pair of handcrafted Goodyear welted brogues. With punched holes (originally designed to allow water to drain from the shoe), choose from a wide selection of Leather or Rubber-soled options in Oxford or Derby constructions, in a vast array of colours and styles.

Smooth leather soles👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

There's been threads before on the subject, if you scroll down to the bottom of this thread there's a list of previous discussions on the subject. Seem to remember someone mentioned a specific pair of Adidas as the best trainers on one thread. I personally prefer leather soles. 

I've have a pair of Loake penny loafers, some Delicious Junction brogues and a pair of Bass Weejuns, all leather soled all great for dancing in. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

There's been threads before on the subject, if you scroll down to the bottom of this thread there's a list of previous discussions on the subject. Seem to remember someone mentioned a specific pair of Adidas as the best trainers on one thread. I personally prefer leather soles. 

I've have a pair of Loake penny loafers, some Delicious Junction brogues and a pair of Bass Weejuns, all leather soled all great for dancing in. 

Thanks Twoshoes. I originally tried the search function before posting but nothing came up.

Thanks for highlighting those other threads below - off to investigate

Thanks for those three tips too

I'm more attracted to non leather being a Plant Based person but a second hand pair of leather soles feels okay in my inconsistent world view

Just now, Martyn Pitt said:

Something light with a leather sole ... used to take ages to teach a new pair all the steps again 😉

Ha ha - good point

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2022 at 09:34, Lord Emsworth said:

Thanks Twoshoes. I originally tried the search function before posting but nothing came up.

Thanks for highlighting those other threads below - off to investigate

Thanks for those three tips too

I'm more attracted to non leather being a Plant Based person but a second hand pair of leather soles feels okay in my inconsistent world view

Ha ha - good point

It really depends on how you dance, I cannot dance in trainers because I keep my feet on the ground or at least one of them when I'm moving and trainers of all sorts are just way too grippy. Some other people jump a lot more so trainers are good. If you shuffle unless you weigh about 7 stone I imagine it would be bleeding difficult!

I've got a couple of pairs of Loakes and a pair of Pavers brogues with leather soles. I have also got a pair of Ben Sherman brogues with plastic soles, which have worn down to almost smooth but are no where near as frictionless. Occasionally I've tried spraying them with silicone or wax polish but it quickly wears off.

Also right with you there, as a vegetarian of 42 years I'd rather not have leather but I can live with my conscience, I'll keep them until I die or they wear out - whichever comes first :) 

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

It really depends on how you dance, I cannot dance in trainers because I keep my feet on the ground or at least one of them when I'm moving and trainers of all sorts are just way too grippy. Some other people jump a lot more so trainers are good. If you shuffle unless you weigh about 7 stone I imagine it would be bleeding difficult!

I've got a couple of pairs of Loakes and a pair of Pavers brogues with leather soles. I have also got a pair of Ben Sherman brogues with plastic soles, which have worn down to almost smooth but are no where near as frictionless. Occasionally I've tried spraying them with silicone or wax polish but it quickly wears off.

Also right with you there, as a vegetarian of 42 years I'd rather not have leather but I can live with my conscience, I'll keep them until I die or they wear out - whichever comes first :) 

All great points

I try to glide and, weirdly, depending on the floor don't have too much difficultly in trainers, that said leather soles are best. No question.

Second hand is the way to go and, as you say, make them last

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Lobbs for posing, Churchs / Grensons for moving, Tods for driving.  

To be fair, any of the Northampton crew's shoes are good for dancing. English shoemakers have always been world beaters. Spoilt for choice!

There are many excellent films on youtube about English shoemaking, mainly promos for the different brands. Fascinating. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

14 hours ago, Hornet said:

Got A top of the range Grenson brogues 4 sale as arthritis has put A stop to the dancing ; barely broke in , size 10:5 but A roomy last so if you take A U.K. 11 you will be fine , want £100 ( paid £480 ) if you A similar age these could be the last pair you buy , 

65EE165D-BF1D-4CBB-B95A-9D80BF1D4248.jpeg

Got a picture of the soles?

Social source share

The best dance shoes by far were the Como leather soled shoes that came in a plain or broghe design. They were lighter than an normal shoe and the leather soles were thinner and wider. Sadly they are no longer made, and haven't been since the 70's.

I can't even find a picture of them online. 

The next best were the da vinci jazz shoe from Derby. Great for jazz dancing, with a very thin leather sole and a tiny heel. The leather uppers were a very soft and thin, and came in many bright colours. Also no longer made since the late 80's.

These are my current dance shoes in red from Dune, already nearly 10yrs old. Also a pair of brown office shoes similar to the jazz shoes but with a more chisel toe. 

DSC_0647.JPG

DSC_0648.JPG

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Soulmark said:

It’s got to be loake shoes quality the best

Agree they are probably the best value for money , but  there are A lot of other quality shoe manufacturers in the Northamptonshire area tho not come across A pair that are talcum powder proof !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 01/04/2022 at 16:25, Bbrich said:

Barely worn black Solatio shoes (only worn indoors). These are size 8 but they come up quite large as I typically take size 9 in other shoes. Cost £130 will accept £75 ono. PM if interested, cheers rich.

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

Look just like shoes I bought from SMC (menswear) in Gloucester around 1980 we called them crossovers due to the pattern. Not sure what the make was though maybe SMC the stores own brand. Loved these shoes 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 06/04/2022 at 07:24, Soulfly said:

Look just like shoes I bought from SMC (menswear) in Gloucester around 1980 we called them crossovers due to the pattern. Not sure what the make was though maybe SMC the stores own brand. Loved these shoes 

I had a pair that looked the same in the seventies and I think they were called 'solatios' then... altho also wore a plain pattern black shoe called 'gibsons' - having said that I wouldn't count on my memory too much these days......

Edited by Bbrich
typo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

An old friend of mine from Rochdale "Dave the shoe " sadly no longer with us , was a cobbler for over 50 years  and always  recommended  " Loake" shoes , not cheap , but not as expensive as say" Church " shoes .. he reckoned that Loake were at least as good  , maybe at just over half the price . Have yet to buy a pair as they look like the may need 2- 3 years to wear in  properly , but maybe one day .. maybe £250 -£300 for  a decent pair .  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Carty said:

An old friend of mine from Rochdale "Dave the shoe " sadly no longer with us , was a cobbler for over 50 years  and always  recommended  " Loake" shoes , not cheap , but not as expensive as say" Church " shoes .. he reckoned that Loake were at least as good  , maybe at just over half the price . Have yet to buy a pair as they look like the may need 2- 3 years to wear in  properly , but maybe one day .. maybe £250 -£300 for  a decent pair .  

Check out the Loake  Torrington Export Range , they  have been reduced by over £100 , £265 buys you an excellent shoe in 4 different colours that will last A life time . But remember to drop A half size , They R A light weight shoe and won’t need breaking in .

Edited by Hornet
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I have to say all my Loakes do is pinch me, my dear late wife bought them me,  I always go in them and switch to trainers; Ive smashed my legs up in the past so they're what's comfortable...

I did look at a pro dancer shop in Marylebone, hand made from scratch best part of £2500 but stylish AF I think you can get them cheaper-place in Wales near Aberystwyth too, as I recall. 

go into a shop, try on- don't order online is a good enough tip

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Bunderthollox said:

I have to say all my Loakes do is pinch me, my dear late wife bought them me,  I always go in them and switch to trainers; Ive smashed my legs up in the past so they're what's comfortable...

I did look at a pro dancer shop in Marylebone, hand made from scratch best part of £2500 but stylish AF I think you can get them cheaper-place in Wales near Aberystwyth too, as I recall. 

go into a shop, try on- don't order online is a good enough tip

Carnt really blame loake if you haven’t bought the correct fitting shoes , they come in 38 different last shapes , A pair of John Lobb bespoke (custom fit ) shoes starts at approximately £5400 if U feeling the pinch 🤏 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Stephen Houghton said:

I bought a pair of barkers from afleks Palace 10yrs ago for a tenner and the most comfortable pair of dancing shoes I've ever owned still going strong

Not sure if it’s still there , but there used to be A stall in Camden market that used to sell nearly new barkers ,loakes ,etc that had little use  and only been worn by actors in films , tv series  etc and in excellent condition, A good stop off while waiting for the 100 club to open its doors 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Always got on quite well with Doc Martins, both shoes and boots, they're a sod to break in but by the time they are the sole has usually worn down a bit, I had some combat boots resoled a couple of years back but don't think they're dance floor friendly 😬 although they make a nice sound on the Halifax cobbles👍

IMG_20200709_143157.jpg

IMG_20200709_143429.jpg

Edited by Ste S
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

As said before – depends on how you dance. I like to shuffle and move my feet quickly. I’ve tried lots of soles, leather definitely best. With brogues I find it depends on whether it is a dress shoes or an everyday shoe (apologies if my terminology is wrong). By everyday shoes I mean the ones that have two layers of leather and can be resoled – I find these too heavy to dance in at times, especially stomping for hours on end. The dress shoes have just one layer and when they’re gone they’re gone, but these are much lighter and I dance better in them.

My girlfriend and I started swing dancing a few years ago (Lindy Hop) and I came across some swing dance shoes by an American company called Aris Allen. I tried a pair (ordered from the US) cost around £90 after paying VAT at customs, so not a bad price – especially as I have danced a hole in the world with this pair and still use them today (though I’m in the process of breaking in a new pair).

The Aris Allens are light as a feather (my slippers feel slightly heavier by comparison) but more to the point – they have a suede leather sole that lets me glide on the floor (same as ballroom soles but far less fussy-looking). The suede leather takes a bit of polishing up to get them really fast. It is advised not to wear these outside as they will soon tear to shreds, so I carry mine into events and change. That said, I have worn them outside a few times to begin with as this helps to polish up the suede to create a slick gliding surface. You have to be careful not to get them wet as this slows them right down – I can often be seen at events tiptoeing across the puddles in the gents. If you get them wet I find that buffing my feet on the carpet helps to dry them out though – if you’ve seen a bald-headed guy (though sometimes wearing a paperboy cap) dragging his feet at events and thought he was pretty weird, it was probably me trying to speed my shoes up. It’s also worth mentioning that if you find the shoes too fast for a particular floor you can slow them down by taking a trip to the toilets.

Here's a link to their website:

https://arisallen.com/collections/mens-dance-shoes

I have only tried their canvas shoes, my last order was for two pairs and this came in at just under $200 with shipping and on this particular occasion they slipped in under the Customs radar so there was no import duty (but this is pure luck whether or not you get stuck with duties). So I’m quite pleased at $100 a pair – I’m 60 too, so they may just see me out!

There was a place in London selling them at one time but not sure if anyone’s stocking them in the UK at this moment.

I’ll post some pics too, of an old pair (right) and new pair (left). You can probably see how the suede leather has become hard and shiny on the older shoes.

Hope this is of some help,

Chris

IMG_2968.jpeg

IMG_2969.jpeg

IMG_2970.jpeg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!