Herman Hitson

Guest soul_hull

Guest soul_hull

what can the boffins tell me about this? it was on pete-s's wigan tape, and totally blew me away. a bit of research tells me i can buy the track on a HH compilation CD from Amazon - see below 'rare and unreleased georgia soul'. but i'm guessing that if it was played at wigan then it got a vinyl release (or acetate?)

one last thing, the tempo of he tunes on that tape said a lot to me, it just oozed energy, including this track.

so, trivia please, labels (f any), value, rarity.

cheers

B000A2IPBE.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

edit - ps this track is available on this site, see my 'last played clip' on left.

Edited by soul_hull
Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

what can the boffins tell me about this? it was on pete-s's wigan tape, and totally blew me away. a bit of research tells me i can buy the track on a HH compilation CD from Amazon - see below 'rare and unreleased georgia soul'. but i'm guessing that if it was played at wigan then it got a vinyl release (or acetate?)

one last thing, the tempo of he tunes on that tape said a lot to me, it just oozed energy, including this track.

so, trivia please, labels (f any), value, rarity.

cheers

B000A2IPBE.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Never got released, Richard Searling played it from a studio disc, Buy the CD, as Herman gets some of the sales :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

cheers dave.

i've already ordered the CD by the way - £10.99 well spent i reckon.

Paul.

edit - track listing and link...

1. You Are Too Much for the Human Heart [unsweetened Version][#] 2. I Got That Will 3. Show Me Some Sign 4. Yes You Did 5. Bad Girl 6. Don't Take Your Love [#] 7. Georgia Grind 8. Why Is It Taking So Long [#] 9. Walkin' in the Park 10. Where Can I Find My Baby 11. You Can't Keep a Good Man Down 12. Ain't No Other Way 13. Please [#] 14. Tired of Tryin' (To Make You Love Me) [#] 15. Love Slipped Through My Fingers [#] 16. Been So Long 17. Sweeter [#] 18. Ayanna 19. Dream I Had (I Love Her) 20. They Kept on Laughin' 21. You Are Too Much for the Human Heart

buy it here AMAZON

Edited by soul_hull
Social source share

The version Searling played at Wigan was by Nate Adams on an Atlantic studio disc covered up as Hermon Hitson. Hitson's own version as per the CD released last year is also great, but quite different to the one you would have heard via Pete's Wigan tape. Am I alone in finding Sam Williams admittedly fantastic reading of this song my least favourite version? I'd be interested to know what others think...

Edited by garethx
Social source share

The version Searling played at Wigan was by Nate Adams on an Atlantic studio disc covered up as Hermon Hitson. Hitson's own version as per the CD released last year is also great, but quite different to the one you would have heard via Pete's Wigan tape. Am I alone in finding Sam Williams admittedly fantastic reading of this song my least favourite version? I'd be interested to know what others think...

OK, since you asked... the Sam Williams version is the best for me. I often find it the case that the "alternative" versions of well loved records have novelty value, but not the quality of the "standard". All very subjective, I know.

Social source share

Must admit I never knew that. But does explain something though. When someone at Lifeline played the Herman Hitson version from the CD, I said to a group of us standing around, doesn't sound anything like the Herman Hitson version I remember.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sam Williams is unbeatable - both as a version and a record. The others aren't even worth mentioning in the same paragraph, let alone sentence...

Social source share

Let's talk it over - sam williams - tower

14753 refosoul

This review of the flip to Love slipped through my fingers is by John Ridley. I fully agree that this is THE side. Anyone else agree? "The other side of this single is the celebrated - and very rare - "Love Slipped Through My Fingers", a big, big record on the Northern soul scene. It's OK, good melody, moves along nicely, but if you want to hear the real deal you have to flip the 45 over. And what a shock! Here's a man almost incoherent in his passion, hoarsely pleading, it sounds like, for his life. He's so into it he's all around the melody, and at times his voice simply cracks up. The bluesy guitar and fat horns give the production weight but this is really all about Sam and his troubles. He cut another excellent 45 for Uptown - but this is the choice of connoisseurs. I wonder how many Northern soul fans realise it?"

Social source share

I think "Let's Talk It Over" is admirable, but not an essential deep soul record: for me personally it's just too rambling and un-focussed, although I accept that it's a stellar piece of singing.

There was an interesting insight into the recording shared by Andy Rix on here some years ago. He met the writers of "Love Slipped Through My Fingers", Lewis, Farmer & Lewis and they could basically remember everyone else cutting the song with the exception of Sam Williams. There was an amount of speculation that the other Sam Williams 45 on Uptown (another Capitol subsidiary) was by none other than Tony Williams of the Platters, but this guy sounds nothing like him. Wonder who he really was?

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Hi Gareth, forgot to say the Herman Hitson version is on clips here, assume thats the CD version (I can't listen to it), if not let me know and I can put it up. As you say I think that is the strongest version by far.

CD has another good unissued track on it that I think would sound good out, put it in the CD only thread yesterday.

Great CD overall, with great mixture of styles.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert