Mojo / Contempo label -alternative takes / mixes

Joesoap

2 minutes ago, Joesoap said:

The UK Mojo / Contempo label put out a few different takes to the the US originals. For example:

Bettye Swann - 'I will not cry' (Contempo Raries 7): completely different, later-sounding recording to the US Money 7"  

Deon Jackson -'I Can't Go On' (Contempo Raries 7): different take to original US release with female backing vocals.

Montclairs -'Hung Up On Your Love' (Contempo 7) 30 seconds longer & different, stronger mix to Paula release..

All of these are better IMO than the US releases. I think there might be one or two more which I can't recall right now...

Anyway, my questions:

Are there any others like this? 

Was this a deliberate thing by Mojo / Contempo? (There's nothing on the records which says 'previously unreleased version' or whatever) Or was it just accidental? If the latter, you'd think there'd be examples with other UK labels but I can't think of any! Are there?

4 minutes ago, Joesoap said:

The UK Mojo / Contempo label put out a few different takes to the the US originals. For example:

Bettye Swann - 'I will not cry' (Contempo Raries 7): completely different, later-sounding recording to the US Money 7"  

Deon Jackson -'I Can't Go On' (Contempo Raries 7): different take to original US release with female backing vocals.

Montclairs -'Hung Up On Your Love' (Contempo 7) 30 seconds longer & different, stronger mix to Paula release..

All of these are better IMO than the US releases. I think there might be one or two more which I can't recall right now...

Anyway, my questions:

Was this a deliberate thing by Mojo / Contempo? (There's nothing on the records which says 'previously unreleased version' or whatever) Or was it just accidental? If the latter, you'd think there'd be examples with other UK labels but I can't think of any! Are there?

Rita Dacosta for example

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Joesoap said:

Anyway, my questions:

For sure they had access to the original masters vaults and willingly or unwillingly published few alternate takes along the way. Were they able to be picky or were they just given what they asked for with no better regards ?

Can't say for sure but isn't Bettye Swann 'I will not cry' (Contempo Raries) taken from her Money LP ?  Fore sure a different take. Now I remember major variations for some tunes on her Money LP. Unpleasant to these "primitive" ears of mine as too different from my Money 45. With a most unpleasant stereo re-mastering job. Viva El Mono !

The Deon Jackson 'I Can't Go On' (Contempo Raries) is a must have 45 on both the Carla press and the Contempo-Raries. For sure they had access to Ollie McLaughlin vaults like others. Those girls choruses are TOP.

Isn't the Montclairs 'Hung Up On Your Love' (Contempo) the same as the mislabeled 'how can one man live' on pink Paula ? A different mix but never will I say 'stronger'. My ears have always favoured my Paula promo by a mile.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dogsarse said:

To my recollection sounded different to US Mohawk or pandora

Yep on first ear it sounds like an even third take to both the Pandora or the Mohawk copies. Mind you that even the styrene pressing (Monarch) has a different mix (with added strings) on the flip 'no ! no ! no' than on the vinyl pressing... How many variations of it on reels ?

Social source share

18 hours ago, Dogsarse said:

To my recollection sounded different to US Mohawk or pandora

Also Tamiko Jones Contempo version of I'm Spellbound" does not sound as good as the Golden World original.

It sounds like she re-recorded it! I was told she recorded it again in the 70's, for Contempo while here in the UK. I don't know how true that is!

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

25 minutes ago, Trev Thomas said:

popcorn wylie - rosemary on u.k. grapevine is a different take to the u.s. karen release

Yes I have always thought the Grapevine release a better cut than the original Karen. It doesn't have that heavy guitar to spoil it!

It is the other way round with Ronnie Love "Let's Make Love". The Almeria original is a much better version than the Grapevine cut!

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 29/08/2022 at 23:17, Tlscapital said:

Isn't the Montclairs 'Hung Up On Your Love' (Contempo) the same as the mislabeled 'how can one man live' on pink Paula ? A different mix but never will I say 'stronger'. My ears have always favoured my Paula promo by a mile.

Isn't the mastering meant to be better on the Contempo 45 as apposed to the Paula Disc? Remember Richard Searling mentioning this on his show some years back...

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 29/08/2022 at 23:17, Tlscapital said:

Can't say for sure but isn't Bettye Swann 'I will not cry' (Contempo Raries) taken from her Money LP ?  Fore sure a different take.

I think when I compared the two I concluded it was same arrangement / session but a different take or mix or something to the one on the LP.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Mal C said:

Isn't the mastering meant to be better on the Contempo 45 as apposed to the Paula Disc? Remember Richard Searling mentioning this on his show some years back...

I remember him saying the same thing about the mastering on Shirley Lawson 'One More Chance' (ie far superior on UK Soul City to US Backbeat).

Never owned either to comment personally alas!

Edited by Joesoap
Social source share

On 01/09/2022 at 13:47, Mal C said:

Well some might even think that the Contempo looks better FWIW. To each it's own. T'never was my view on it though. And if Richard says so then it must true. Coming from the horse's mouth... Aaah !

In this case I must have had a Contempo copy of it decades ago but I can't remember how it sounded by now. Yet I never heard them Contempo records sounding anything really good. Far less exciting.

By now I only have the Deon Jackson's 'I can't go on' on Contempo and on my MONO phono system it really tells how 'weak' it is ; low in gain with barely no depth nor body = too little bass. These are facts.

The Carla press without the girl choruses suffers none of the above for example. Even less on my most unforgiving phono. And if the Paula suffers some distortions the Contempo is likely just tamed down.

The use of 'better' without being more descriptive only means nothing objectively. Like a preference which is only subjective. Red is better than blue or Techies 1200 MK II are the best turntables...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

On 02/09/2022 at 00:05, Joesoap said:

I remember him saying the same thing about the mastering on Shirley Lawson 'One More Chance' (ie far superior on UK Soul City to US Backbeat).

Never owned either to comment personally alas!

I only have the UK Soul City (cheap find) but I have that many Back Beat 45 that sounds totally fine I can't see why the Shirley Lawson one wouldn't be fine...

But the mastering on the UK copy is indeed high in gain and maybe 'beafier' likely because it was dubbed from the Back Beat copy with all the controls in the 'red' again.

Meaning a second time (like double) in the red. Making it sound a tad too harsh for me. Mind you those Godin's masterings were all rather good in that way. Loud yet a bit rough.

In the tradition of UK Sue's for example. In comparison with many UK contemporary couterparts from the American release that sound much less dynamic, vibrant and loud even if less saturating.

Social source share

19 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Well some might even think that the Contempo looks better FWIW. To each it's own. T'never was my view on it though. And if Richard says so then it must true. Coming from the horse's mouth... Aaah !

In this case I must have had a Contempo copy of it decades ago but I can't remember how it sounded by now. Yet I never heard them Contempo records sounding anything really good. Far less exciting.

By now I only have the Deon Jackson's 'I can't go on' on Contempo and on my MONO phono system it really tells how 'weak' it is ; low in gain with barely no depth nor body = too little bass. These are facts.

The Carla press without the girl choruses suffers none of the above for example. Even less on my most unforgiving phono. And if the Paula suffers some distortions the Contempo is likely just tamed down.

The use of 'better' without being more descriptive only means nothing objectively. Like a preference which is only subjective. Red is better than blue or Techies 1200 MK II are the best turntables...

I dont know mate, just going on what I heard on his show...he da boss right... I bought all their other 45's bar 'Hung up on your Love' on that advise, who knows? I will say the move saved me a few quid though, which is nice 🙂 I do Like the purple Contempo 45's, blk issues are just that, Black issues, boring where ever they come from...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Mal C said:

I dont know mate, just going on what I heard on his show...he da boss right... I bought all their other 45's bar 'Hung up on your Love' on that advise, who knows? I will say the move saved me a few quid though, which is nice 🙂 I do Like the purple Contempo 45's, blk issues are just that, Black issues, boring where ever they come from...

Right-On ! I do love my Duke 45's candy (promo) pink 😊 No one's word has authority beyond fact checking in my book. And never in regard of subjective matter. Not Richard nor anyone I'd be looking up to if ever FWIW.

Got my Minty (decades ago) promo Paula copy for peanuts and was more happy with it's playback than from the Contempo copy I clearly remember. Even with the extra distortions I was getting on my then Mid-Fi phono.

As for the "nostalgia" factor I get that but I don't work like that. There are people out there who kept all they had all along. Others look them up as 'Northen soul' artifacts like patches, beer-mats, talcum... It's a trip. Not me.

All my Contempos are long gone like every other Grapevine, Destiny etc. I could replace. But if one prefers the tamed down playback rendition that's fine. To each it's own and I respect that. Although I stand at the opposite

Social source share

4 hours ago, John Benson said:

I think that a lot of these alternate / slightly different takes sometimes come about by pure accident.  The UK label requests the tapes for a particular track and someone in the US record label tape store just pulls out a tape with the song title on, probably not aware that it's a different take.

Some of these differences took years to become 'known' by the collectors over here (or anywhere else). Pre internet, things like this were mostly word of mouth and not always common knowledge. 

Another to add to this is the UK London release of Chubby Checker's "You just don't know"

I've never heard it mentioned that that release is sightly different from the Cameo Parkway release.

The drumming on the London release is way more up front in the mix, almost dominating the recording.

Whether it's a mastering thing or a different take, I'm not sure, but it's definitely different.

I think the same John ,a similar example is the UK release of Little Jerry Williams - Baby You’re My Everything on Cameo Parkway which stops at the end ,where as the USA Calla release fades at the end .Cheers Eddie 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

I think the same John ,a similar example is the UK release of Little Jerry Williams - Baby You’re My Everything on Cameo Parkway which stops at the end ,where as the USA Calla release fades at the end .Cheers Eddie 

Similarly the UK London seventies release of Bobby Paris also has a cold finish, whereas the US Cameo fades out.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!