Offices of record companies: are they still there?

Within Sales, I was looking at a recently posted label scan of Cookie Jackson's 'Do you you still love me" on Progress. I have a copy, but had never before noticed the address on the label, which is a surprise as it stands out. It's:

2847 1/2 W. Pico, Los Angeles 6, Calif.

1547579510_CookieJacksonProgress.thumb.JPG.1b2b75239c3ada087c53378ac0508a71.JPG

A quick search on Google Maps shows the address to be West Pico Boulevard. Here's a screen grab dated by Google as being from November 2021 - just a year ago. The 2847 1/2 is the gated doorway smack bang in the middle, which, based on the numbers on the door, lead to two offices or apartments. Following the numbering system, it's presumed 2847.5 is on the left - unless the two spaces run horizontally to the view, ie, one at the front and one at the back.

1195582171_2847.5WPicoBlvdLACookieJackson.thumb.png.03e4c5b047f1a8b17979bb9f3ca5026e.png

From the info given on the Cookie Jackson label, it's unclear whether the address is where Progress Records was based or Target Enterprise. Possibly it was both. Either way, it's hardly a glamorous location, although who knows how it looked nigh on 60 years ago. And looking at the image now, I fancy I can kind of imagine Cookie Jackson belting out tunes from the upstairs window.

Anyway, that got me wondering if anyone's spent any time looking up independent record label addresses online. Obviously, some of you have been fortunate to go looking for old locations in person in years past, but I was kind of thinking more about in the modern age and excluding the obvious labels such as Motown, Stax, Chess, etc. Any addresses still in existence that was once home to an obscure/indy/local record label?

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

27 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Within Sales, I was looking at a recently posted label scan of Cookie Jackson's 'Do you you still love me" on Progress. I have a copy, but had never before noticed the address on the label, which is a surprise as it stands out. It's:

2847 1/2 W. Pico, Los Angeles 6, Calif.

1547579510_CookieJacksonProgress.thumb.JPG.1b2b75239c3ada087c53378ac0508a71.JPG

A quick search on Google Maps shows the address to be West Pico Boulevard. Here's a screen grab dated by Google as being from November 2021 - just a year ago. The 2847 1/5 is the gated doorway smack bang in the middle, which, based on the numbers on the door, lead to two offices or apartments. Following the numbering systam, it's presumed 2847.5 is on the left - unless the two spaces run horizontally to the view, ie, one at the front and one at the back.

1195582171_2847.5WPicoBlvdLACookieJackson.thumb.png.03e4c5b047f1a8b17979bb9f3ca5026e.png

From the info given on the Cookie Jackson label, it's unclear whether the address is where Progress Records was based or Target Enterprise. Possibly it was both. Either way, it's hardly a glamorous location, although who knows how it looked nigh on 60 years ago. And looking at the image now, I fancy I can kind of imagine Cookie Jackson belting out tunes from the upstairs window.

Anyway, that got me wondering if anyone's spent any time looking up independent record label addresses online. Obviously, some of you have been fortunate to go looking for old locations in person in years past, but I was kind of thinking more about in the modern age and excluding the obvious labels such as Motown, Stax, Chess, etc. Any addresses still in existence that was once home to an obscure/indy/local record label?

Target Dist Co was at 3032 W.Pico-sherman & ann coleman + Zeke

actually, to be factually correct the partnership was dissolved(mutually) in 1965 and Zeke took it all on.

Edited by Kenb
clarification
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Target Dist Co was at 3032 W.Pico-sherman & ann coleman + Zeke

Thanks for the useful info.

Presumably Target moved from 2847 1/2 to 3032, just a few doors away. Interestingly, that building is still there as well - and is of identical design and construction. I further presume 3032 is also accessed through the gated door in the middle.

1223601347_3032WPico.thumb.png.42251456da0fbcc9a5e9d48bd1fa3feb.png

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Source said:

if not aware - you can view past google street views - only back to 2008 ish but a small chance could be useful with this sort of lookback, just hit the link under the current date

Yes, indeed. The two screen grabs I've posted are from last year. I could have used the most recent ones from this year, but thought the lighting was better on the earlier ones. 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Kenb said:

@Amsterdam Russ

I'm such a jerk sometimes, sorry Russ ...it's 2712 W.Pico( not 2172)

If you do find a pic Russ...

George R. Brown of Titan Records (1951 Holmby Ave, L.A.) -Titan(2) on Discogs also owned Dolly Bee Music & Roslyn Music. He also owned Aldo Distributors Inc & Service Records, A & G Pub and B&S pub with Al Stewart. These businesses were conducted from 2712 W. Pico.

You can find 2712 W. Pico Bernard Dupree (Cletus Marland) on Granger Records.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Digging a bit deeper online, it appears 2712 West Pico has a long association with the music industry. The original building was constructed in 1921. In the 1940s, it was home to the Coinmatic Distribution Company, which was in the business of jukeboxes and record distribution. Music press adverts here from Billboard in 1945 and 1946.

1448995846_CoinmaticBillboard10Nov1945.thumb.png.eb06ef6bbf2ce31da4581441786bf426.png

1198538299_CoinmaticBillboard02Mar1946.thumb.png.450faaa56580608b9c0aa6b86b0be85b.png

In the early 60s, King Distributing Company was based there and was in the business of jukeboxes and cigarettes. The article below, from Cash Box, November 1963, quotes the company as saying...

"We now are distributors for the finest phonograph and cigarette line made, and we intend to match the quality of this line with the finest personal attention and service ever offered operators in this territory."

1090485728_KingCashBox09Nov1963.thumb.png.ca734ddb09d98d103d7b66b3a8bc9612.png

From jukeboxes and cigarettes in the early 60s, it's kind of funny that the business at the address now is a smoke shop!

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
typos
Social source share

Hi Russ

"Obviously, some of you have been fortunate to go looking for old locations in person in years past,"

quote from OP

While not looking for old offices/studios per se the 1st time we went to see Jerry Butler in Washington DC we stayed at the Washington Plaza on Thomas Circle.

It was only a couple of years later after reading an Andy Rix article on here that the penny dropped. We could have been sleeping on the site of Shrine Records !

Cheers Paul

Edited by Soul Shrews
Clarifyng quote from OP
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Soul Shrews said:

Hi Russ

"Obviously, some of you have been fortunate to go looking for old locations in person in years past,"

quote from OP

While not looking for old offices/studios per se the 1st time we went to see Jerry Butler in Washington DC we stayed at the Washington Plaza on Thomas Circle.

It was only a couple of years later after reading an Andy Rix article on here that the penny dropped. We could have been sleeping on the site of Shrine Records !

Cheers Paul

According to google Shrine was the opposite side of the circle, Number 3 Thomas Circle. 

1689038323_Screenshot2022-11-28at19_51_19.thumb.png.1e0ddc408d53bf585d1724d072022f43.png

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Stayed  at a Hostel  on W 113st  in Harlem on several occasions  between 2008 and 2012 ,  Between visits I noticed the record label N.Y.C.S. ( Flame N King  ,  Oh Happy Day) had a W 113st address   (303 W113 st ), so next time I was over , I took a short walk down to see it ....                                                                 There was a 301 and a 305, but no 303 , instead a fenced off space exactly one house wide , looked like it had been demolished .  Got speaking to a neighbor about  what happened to 303 , and after being asked "Your'e not Jewish are you man ?"  ( ie , a potential developer/gentryfier maybe ?) was told they knocked it down so the buildings either side could Breathe !?!   Unusual as this was a row of Harlem Rowhouses (terraces). I would imagine at this point the site may have now been redeveloped .                                                                                                                                       W113st is only 3 blocks from the top end of Central park , however , even closer to 303 W 113st is Morningside Park ( maybe only 100 yards away , This park has a more local feel to it , definetley a more Harlem vibe than Central park  , I have always wondered which park  it was that is alluded to in the song, guess I will never know .                                                                                               Incidentally , Harry Houdini lived at 278 W113st.                                                                                       

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soul Shrews said:

...the 1st time we went to see Jerry Butler in Washington DC we stayed at the Washington Plaza on Thomas Circle.

Cheers Paul

At the very least, if you were not actually on the site of Shrine's offices, you were only a few meters away from them - and that's special.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

172845523_GlobalUSphoto003.thumb.jpg.da91cc318d36bde6b1b5e2385390c24b.jpg

1926939212_GlobalUSnow.thumb.JPG.3026477ef77c5cf7fe603daa333b907d.JPG 

Not quite in the same league as the Shrine location, this is the building that in the 1960s to 80s was the location of Global Record Sales at 2512 North Broad Street in Philadelphia. Up to the mid 1960s they distributed a number of small indie labels that needed a Philly seller then went in to oldies where some great records went in and out of the door. The first photo was in 1976 and the second one from 4 or 5 years ago. The tree is still there but now a bit bigger. I think Virtue studios and Jamie /Guyden weren't very far from here.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Fred Bridges (of Brothers of Soul) took me to this building, on Oakland in Detroit, which Wingate and Bratton used for rehearsals prior to the building of their future studio on West Davison.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/web12-fred-bridges/fred-bridges-text/index.html

Click “menu” then “Wingate and Bratton” to find image.

Edited by David Meikle
added link
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

https://soulfuldetroit.com/web12-fred-bridges/fred-bridges-text/index.html

click “Menu” then “Aron Hicks”

Photo 1

on link above shows the site of Gloreco Records which was owned by Aron Hicks.

Photo 2

7337 Kipling in Detroit, where Fred Bridges laid down the basics of “With A Smile On My Face”.

This structure was near to Hitsville on West Grand Boulevard.

Edited by David Meikle
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 29/11/2022 at 10:33, Eddie Hubbard said:

4862 Parker St ,Detroit ,former home of Hib Records 

9597709A-22A9-4389-A0B5-640688FD91BD.jpeg

Was that house owned by Popcorn Wylie?  It certainly wasn't the home he lived in in 1965, from what I remember, and the photo shown on his webisode on Soulful Detroit. 

Social source share

6 hours ago, David Meikle said:

The house was owned by Robert Bateman. The “b” in Hib represents his surname.

Stands to reason.  I knew Bateman was a co-partner in HIB Records.  But, he had been living in New York for 2 years by then, and although still bouncing between the 2 cities, was staying a lot more in The NY Metro Area than in Detroit.  So, I figured he might have sold his house in Detroit.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!