The forgotten and the forgettable

Soulboy60

21 hours ago, Eddiefoster said:

I wish I was qualified to comment on the Forgotten - I'm never sure if something I come across that catches my ears is a forgotten played out oldie, something the tape swappers shared, one that got a few spins somewhere but never quite made it or (now and again) a track that's largely unknown..........I would never class any record as rubbish, I've learned that it's all down to your own personal taste and that's what really matters!

However, as for Forgettable I'll be honest and most probably controversial by picking a monster tune I've never liked Lou Pride – I'm Com'un Home In The Morn'un (tin hat on LOL) even though I kinda get why it's an anthem it just doesn't do it for me! 

Interesting thread - every day a school day for me :D

I wasn't around in the 70's but I find the bootleg factor indicates a tunes popularity. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Martyn Pitt said:

It hold special memories for me Mick ... I particularly enjoyed dancing to it at Prestatyn when Lou sang it live.

Like I said it's always personal and it's only your own taste that counts (and I'm always wrong 😆)

BTW I really like 'love Your Love Is Fading' and 'Your Love Won't Let Me Be'  by Lou so it's not about him at all just the choon - I'm trying to slowly back away from the naughty step Martyn.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 07/09/2023 at 21:17, Eddiefoster said:

I wish I was qualified to comment on the Forgotten - I'm never sure if something I come across that catches my ears is a forgotten played out oldie, something the tape swappers shared, one that got a few spins somewhere but never quite made it or (now and again) a track that's largely unknown..........I would never class any record as rubbish, I've learned that it's all down to your own personal taste and that's what really matters!

However, as for Forgettable I'll be honest and most probably controversial by picking a monster tune I've never liked Lou Pride – I'm Com'un Home In The Morn'un (tin hat on LOL) even though I kinda get why it's an anthem it just doesn't do it for me! 

Interesting thread - every day a school day for me :D

Eddie Foster!,... Well,. I never knew.

16 hours ago, Geeselad said:

I wasn't around in the 70's but I find the bootleg factor indicates a tunes popularity. 

Or does it????

Social source share

On 09/09/2023 at 13:04, Stephen Houghton said:

My forgotten would be Gypsy by drywell got a copy ages ago but never heard it anywhere good underated sound.

My forgettable would be Marlene Shaw let's wade in the water played to death time it went to bed permanently 😴 

Drywell was spun for a month or 2 in the late 80s, I 1st heard it I think in Bradford queens hall, maybe a pat brady c/up?

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Hooker1951 said:

Hi Ian 

good choice and add turning my heartbeat up a pop record if their was one no soul in it whatsoever, sorry if that upsets anybody, but a top of the pops record for sure

ML

No Mick, sorry but The M.V.P'S "Turning my heartbeat up" is proper northern imho.

If someone was asked to write the perfect record for a room full of soulies in a giddy frame of mind, then it would sound something like this.

Unfortunately it's always used whenever Wigan is mentioned on TV but it's still a classic oldie.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

13 hours ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

No Mick, sorry but The M.V.P'S "Turning my heartbeat up" is proper northern imho.

If someone was asked to write the perfect record for a room full of soulies in a giddy frame of mind, then it would sound something like this.

Unfortunately it's always used whenever Wigan is mentioned on TV but it's still a classic oldie.

It's really good to drive fast down the motorway!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Well I've never rated Lou Lawton's 'Knick Knack, Patty Wack' I'd like to forget it. My forgotten gem - there's a few but narrowing down to two I'll select Sharlotte Shaw's 'Say it to me' and this one by Marvins Sims.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Two that need erasing from history, Dean Barlow - Third Window, from which he and every copy wants throwing and Barbara Dane and the clippity cloppity I’m On My Way

Oh and another forgettable, the worst record ever Joey Delorenzo

You get my vote on all 3 of these,.. Utter Shite💩

Social source share

59 minutes ago, Solidsoul said:

I thought Soul Source was for people who actually liked Northern Soul records, not relish in pulling them down!

There are plenty of records I don't care for, but I don't come on and criticize them and spoil it for the people who do! 

It's half of the topic😂. I'd love to hear about all the records you don't like, go on a dare you! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Think this is a pretty cool little question...

Personally can't stand Judy Street - What (soz.) & I've been playing the flip of Nev Wherry's old spin from Cleethorpes & Sheffield KGB, Flamma Sherman - Where is he, for ages now. I don't even know if its really ever been played cos I'm too young to know. 

Properly off kilt for traditionalists I'd imagine but is a power dancer once it gets going that hardly anyone I've spoken to knows... Surely this must have been played at the Pier & the Winter Gardens??? I think its hardly known cos it has a 45 second intro and a long outro which might have put people off playing it out.

Edited by Clee93
  • Up vote 1
  • Listening now 1
Social source share

3 forgotten belters, the first is one of Richards former Va Va's spins the brilliant Bobby Wilson "Feels good"

I'm reliably informed that Bobby Banks "I'm a bachelor" was a Colin Curtis spin, probably in the last hour at the Mecca.

And last but certainly not least The Emotions "I can't stand no more heartaches" a forgotten Torch spin. I first heard this whilst queueing up to get into the venue, and praying that it's not too rare, thankfully it wasn't and I returned home with a copy.

If it was technically possible to burn part of a record then I'd get rid of the guitar solo on Soul Sam's King Moses track

Edited by Jessie Pinkman
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Clee93 said:

Personally can't stand Judy Street - What (soz.) & I've been playing the flip of Nev Wherry's old spin from Cleethorpes & Sheffield KGB, Flamma Sherman - Where is he, for ages now. I don't even know if its really ever been played cos I'm too young to know. 

Properly off kilt for traditionalists I'd imagine but is a power dancer once it gets going that hardly anyone I've spoken to knows... Surely this must have been played at the Pier & the Winter Gardens??? I think its hardly known cos it has a 45 second intro and a long outro which might have put people off playing it out.

Great that

• Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Clee93 said:

Opposite for me, Flamma Sherman is terrible, Judy Street, might be a bit out of fashion these days but its a great Northern dancer.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Opposite for me, Flamma Sherman is terrible, Judy Street, might be a bit out of fashion these days but its a great Northern dancer.  

- but its a great Northern dancer - Right said Fred ; without SOUL ! As in Northern but not Northern Soul 😜

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

Personally, I think Judy Street & Where is he by Flamma are same type of crap, they both lack any edge and just sound like dodgy pop. Is the side i've linked the one you're referring to as terrible or the side Nev used to play, out of interest?  

The flip on the Flamma tune that I’ve posted is absolute overlooked quality though in my eyes.
I will say once ‘Where Is He' gets going, albeit not very good... It does have more merit to my ears than Judy Street ever has.

Edited by Clee93
Social source share

18 hours ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

3 forgotten belters, the first is one of Richards former Va Va's spins the brilliant Bobby Wilson "Feels good"

I'm reliably informed that Bobby Banks "I'm a bachelor" was a Colin Curtis spin, probably in the last hour at the Mecca.

And last but certainly not least The Emotions "I can't stand no more heartaches" a forgotten Torch spin. I first heard this whilst queueing up to get into the venue, and praying that it's not too rare, thankfully it wasn't and I returned home with a copy.

If it was technically possible to burn part of a record then I'd get rid of the guitar solo on Soul Sam's King Moses track

I’ve always rated that Emotions tune, still cheap and still good!

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Jessie Pinkman said:

The Emotions, Bobby Wilson & Bobby Banks are all cheap. That could be the reason why they're forgotten?

Agreed mate, funny that you've mentioned Bobby Wilson, I got one a while ago and since then i've seen its gone up in price from what I paid. I remember seeing it at £5 on discogs, then a week later cheapest was at £20. Loads of good cheapies get overlooked, all of the time. The only Malibus record on Duke 'I can't stand it' is another good budget tune as well! 

Edited by Clee93
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

47 minutes ago, Clee93 said:

Personally, I think Judy Street & Where is he by Flamma are same type of crap, they both lack any edge and just sound like dodgy pop. Is the side i've linked the one you're referring to as terrible or the side Nev used to play, out of interest?  

The flip on the Flamma tune that I’ve posted is absolute overlooked quality though in my eyes.
I will say once ‘Where Is He' gets going, albeit not very good... It does have more merit to my ears than Judy Street ever has.

Both Move Me and Where Is He are as bad as each other.  Judy Street I did say out of fashion but as wide eyed youths at 2am it is/was great, not something I'd want to hear today.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Both Move Me and Where Is He are as bad as each other.  Judy Street I did say out of fashion but as wide eyed youths at 2am it is/was great, not something I'd want to hear today.

Think it must have been the drugs then if it hasn't stood the test of time then eh 🤣

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm really enjoying reading people's replies to this thread.

I've always said that if everyone enjoyed the same records that it would be like listening to the same lp,tape,cd on permanent repeat very very boring.

And whilst talking too quickly often outside a niter at 3am I've often said that for some reason every record will have its time and place on the scene. Like Judy Street was mentioned. 

And we can all think of a tune that would make us run to the dance floor at 2.00 o,clock in the morning and dance our arses off to, whether in the 70s 80s 90s 0r 2000s. But now we would cringe to hear now. The one record that I could easily forget was one I bought as a cover up.it was Gary Rushbrookes, lord Sitar and the Boltimore Marching Band. 

For some reason I have never sold it . Not played it for about 30 years,  but it makes me cringe when I hear it. 

And as for the forgotten I love to hear things I haven't heard of for years,  and when you hear them they bring back the Time and place and emotions you were feeling at that Moment... my current one is the O Jay's,  I'm so glad I found you.  Takes me back to being a 12/13  year old and dancing to it at school disco's on a Friday night 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2023 at 22:06, Alexis Vanlee said:

Liked .Ella Washington – Trying To Make You Love Me.... don't know why !... never got anywhere i don't think. ..may be mistaken and will stand corrected if it did

image.png.08e5dd8dfca240aa5e04e2846e8bf330.png

I think it got to 38 in the R&B chart if I remember rightly. Great tune, not Northern or club worthy in my opinion. Ella has a fantastic voice but it's all a bit to noisy, to much guitar.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!