Disco: Soundtrack of a Revolution

Davemac3

Just watched part 1, didn't expect to hear " The Carstairs, It really Hurts Me Girl " and interesting the fact that the first tune that was classed as the first real disco record was " Harold Melvin & The Blues Notes , The Love I Lost " ,thanks for the heads up Davemac3 , everydays a school day as the saying goes .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

Just watched part 1, didn't expect to hear " The Carstairs, It really Hurts Me Girl " and interesting the fact that the first tune that was classed as the first real disco record was " Harold Melvin & The Blues Notes , The Love I Lost " ,thanks for the heads up Davemac3 , everydays a school day as the saying goes .

Strange that when The Carstairs was playing, in a section talking about a significant gay scene around Fire Island, somewhere to do with Long Island, the record wasn't actually referred to nor any connection with Ian Levine and how it influenced the dance scene over here.

Impressive pair of programmes though; looking forward to seeing part 3.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I thought all 3 episodes were fantastic.

An amazing insight into Disco that had me hooked during all 3 episodes.

Best music documentary I’ve seen in a very very long time. 

Disco doesn’t suck 😁  

Edited by Alison H
Oops not musical, didn’t have Nicky Siano singing lol
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

The best docu of its type on the subject to date I think.

I would recommend reading the books Love Saved The Day, Last Night A DJ Saved My Life etc if you haven't already.  It's all in there.

And it was great to see Pt3 close with a mention for house music, or "disco's revenge" as some refer to it.  Explains the significance of the title of this essential album if you didn't know already, which I guess could be considered a concept album of sorts, based around that neanderthal Dahl, his brain dead disciples and their antics.

R-4045930-1361611665-4701.jpg.264e84112a7dbe5f02c56feb12a15dc4.jpg

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I've not watched this and after recent BBC fare I'm hesitant. It's a subject that's already well documented, especially in book form. Looking forward to some detailed coverage of disco's  roots at the sanctuary in San Francisco. I thought 'rock you baby' was considered the first disco record? 

Social source share

19 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

I've not watched this and after recent BBC fare I'm hesitant. It's a subject that's already well documented, especially in book form. Looking forward to some detailed coverage of disco's  roots at the sanctuary in San Francisco. I thought 'rock you baby' was considered the first disco record? 

I don't think the Beeb filmed this one , historical footage used although there is 2 maybe 3 documentaries covering the disco scene on the iPlayer at the moment & I was also surprised at the claim too , but it came from a guy who was very much involved with the Philly scene at the time , don't want to spoil it for those that haven't yet watched it .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

surely the thing be to watch it first then comment....

2 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

I don't think the Beeb filmed this one , 

quote from

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/dec/16/disco-soundtrack-of-a-revolution-review-an-absolute-feast-of-a-music-documentary

This three-part documentary, a co-production with PBS, is the sort of top-quality music doc the BBC just casually and quietly releases, as if it does this sort of thing all the time. But this one really is a feast. It’s a history lesson with an immaculate soundtrack and it is about so much more than disco.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

The BBC did us proud showing this series (all 3 hours of it). Last night they did it again; hours of Aretha Franklin footage. Lots of it new to me ... the duets show was eye opening. It's well known that the likes of Rod Stewart & Elton John have always loved soul music. But to see the pure joy they got from singing / playing with Reffa was truly heartening. I was left with the impression that Reffa asked Rod what song he wanted to sing with her; hence "This Old Heart Of Mine. Then, I assume she picked "People Get Ready" as their second joint effort. He obviously loved singing a Curtis classic with her.  

BTW, so many black owned US TV stations had their own music shows back in the 60's / 70's. So thousands of soul singers, groups got to be on TV, even if only in their local area. TROUBLE WAS ... those shows weren't considered as 'historically important' back in the day, so just about all the footage was recorded over & is thus lost to us all.

One such show ... from BALTIMORE in 1967 ...  the local group name checked in the show's blurb was Denny & the Hitchhikers. Denny left them, so they recruited Kenny Hamber to be their replacement lead singer, moved to New England and landed a record deal (in the 70's) with ABC. 

BaltTVshow67.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!